What Turned Out to be My Life's Story...

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Crom

What Turned Out to be My Life's Story...

Post by Crom »

After sitting down to write this (after the first, long paragraph), I decided I better preface this, so you better grab a cup of coffee or other favorite beverage... this could take awhile!

Not a Newbie, but a long time collector here. I think I picked up my first serious knife in high school, in the 70's! Things were a lot different then! This whole internet thing changed this and all hobbies forever! We have to redefine what Rare is. What was Rare a few decades ago... and I define something being "Rare" as, something I have searched high and low for, for years and unable to turn up or been able to only find a couple examples of. Now, all one has to do, is log in, do a few searches and find a couple of examples... anywhere in the world! I remember sending away for catalogs, waiting for them to arrive. Scouring thru them. Finding some treasure and actually sitting down and writing a letter to the person/dealer, waiting days or even possibly weeks, for a response. Possibly, haggling over price back and forth. Then settling on an amount and each trusting the other enough to send a check in the mail (remember hand written checks?!), while the seller packaged up your items and the 2 crossed in the mail. Sometimes you established life-long friendships with some of the buyer's and seller's, even if some were long distance.

Whew, sorry..., I didn't mean for this to turn into some dissertation on me and my whole outlook on life, etc. Must be all of this being locked up stuff!

Let me try this again... while doing a search on a particular knife, I came across your forum and decided to join.. I'm an older, middle-aged (that's how I prefer to call it) gent, from the North West, born and lived here my entire life. Now retired from a Metrologist/Engineering background (think, machinists and machine shops, where I programmed CMM's [Coordinate Measuring Machines], performed measurements and calibrations, etc... I now have a grown son, who sorta followed in my footsteps and has become a very accomplished machinist). Several interests including fishing, shooting and, of course - sharp-pointy objects, etc. I collect many of the previous along with Fly-fishing equipment (flies, rods, reels, creels, antique wooden lures etc. Fly fishing books dating from the 1600's to the present!). I dabbled in Sports Cards dating from the 50's to the 90's (till that got ruined), I have a large, odd collection of playing card decks, autographs, antiques, etc. Seems like anything weird and unusual, I have an interest in. I have a very large wristwatch collection that no one has any business owning so many of, or "investing" (as we like to call it, right?!), so much in! I guess knives, watches and guns are my primary passions (investments!).

Now that you know me and my philosophies on life, I am honored to be a member of your community and hope that I can, in some small way, contribute. If you haven't noticed... I do get a little windy, on occasion and am very passionate about these interests!

Thank you all for your time and sticking it out!
Robert
PS: Oh yes... (You didn't think you would get off that easy- did you?), I am a huge movie fanatic (hence the handle: Crom, from "Conan the Barbarian") and can't go to the movies any longer, so I write long dissertations to a bunch of strangers on forums in the aforementioned: Guns, Knives and Watch Forums. Take care all, and be safe!
Sometimes, all you need is a positive attitude and a knife!
Doc B

Re: What Turned Out to be My Life's Story...

Post by Doc B »

Welcome, Robert! There's topics for about everything, here at AAPK...including your collections! We look forward to seeing some pictures!!! ::handshake::
::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Hey, Hey!! Welcome aboard!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well, howdy, Crom! ::welcome:: to AAPK. ::handshake::
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, there's a whole bunch of us "windy" ol' fellers on this forum. Sounds like your interests are shared by quite a few members. Most of us try to be down to earth, patriotic and show a little common sense once in a while.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

treefarmer wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:30 pm there's a whole bunch of windy us "windy" ol' fellers on this forum.
Treefarmer
Philip, are you perhaps talking about me to my face behind my back? Get down and give me 20.

Robert, pay no attention to that "windy" old Jarhead. Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK Robert. Poke around and get acquainted with all the amazing stuff here (although it’s a pocket knife forum you will be amazed what else is here). ::nod::

In case you haven’t found them yet, there’s a Research section (click on Research in the header up there at the top), a Tips and Tricks section about “how to” post pictures and other stuff, and a Search function, accessable under Quick links on the upper left. All that and more can be accessed from the Forum home page. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/ And of course if you need to know or find something, you can always just ask. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Glad to have you here Robert! ::welcome::
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the AAPK! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Crom

Post by Crom »

Thanx everyone, for the warm welcome!
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

What kind of knives do you collect? I am getting old and have a bunch to sell.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Robert Welcome To AAPK ::welcome::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Love your Danny avatar and ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Welcome aboard Robert! ::welcome::
Roger
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome Robert. After that fine self-introduction, the next step is to send us photos of your collections. Looking forward to them. ::handshake::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...welcome to AAPK!!!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...welcome to AAPK!!!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............................
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome aboard Robert!
You said you are from the North West,
Would that be the Pacific North West?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Crom

Post by Crom »

orvet wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:25 pm Welcome aboard Robert!
You said you are from the North West,
Would that be the Pacific North West?
I don't know, orvet! I'm from Idaho and every time I say I'm from the PNW, I get corrected!

What's yer thoughts? I transferred and took about 10 years off in the Corvallis area. I consider Oregon, my second home.

You got me curious... I just Googled it and according to them... , now I am one!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Yeah I think you are in the Pacific Northwest. Oregon, Washington, Idaho and part of British Columbia and Northern California were all part of the Oregon territory at one time.
If it gets much more liberal over here, my wife and I are talking about moving to Idaho or Montana. But I certainly don't want to think about moving! ::dang::
There's a great knife show over here in April, down in Eugene Oregon. Come on over if you can make it, you will certainly enjoy the show! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Welcome To AAPK, This is a great outfit,I've only been a member a month ,and have learned so much. I still have to get some pics of my knives,etc.,they like pics here,but this old timer is still trying to do that.Again Welcome,enjoy and be safe
JP
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Hello Crom, Welcome to the AAPK Knife, Sword, Razor, Sharp & Shiny Things Therapy Site. Well......that's what it is for me anyway. I've not been here long myself, but a great bunch of guys and loads of good info here.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Return to “Member Introductions”