New Student, Chattanooga, Tennessee retired

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Student, Chattanooga, Tennessee retired

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:57 am I doubt that knife rolls are a cause of cell out gassing. I think the problem is that when knives are stored in a knife roll you cannot see what is going on with the knives until you open up the roll. If you only open up your knife rolls every few months a knife might have off gassed greatly and you've missed the early signs before other knives got affected.
kj
Never said, nor implied, that knife rolls are the cause of celluloid outgassing. However the materials used in the making of some knife rolls can have negative effects on knives. I have experienced it first hand and unfortunately still have the damaged knives.
The offending roll had no celluloid knives in it at the time. However the nickel silver components of several knives that had been stored in the roll were damaged (corroded/pitted). If you read the post I referenced and others here on the subject you’ll see that my bad experience with storing knives in a knife roll is not an isolated incident.

I agree with the rest of your post. The moral of the story is, don’t store knives in knife rolls long term. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:25 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:57 am I doubt that knife rolls are a cause of cell out gassing. I think the problem is that when knives are stored in a knife roll you cannot see what is going on with the knives until you open up the roll. If you only open up your knife rolls every few months a knife might have off gassed greatly and you've missed the early signs before other knives got affected.
kj
Never said, nor implied, that knife rolls are the cause of celluloid outgassing. However the materials used in the making of some knife rolls can have negative effects on knives. I have experienced it first hand and unfortunately still have the damaged knives.
The offending roll had no celluloid knives in it at the time. However the nickel silver components of several knives that had been stored in the roll were damaged (corroded/pitted). If you read the post I referenced and others here on the subject you’ll see that my bad experience with storing knives in a knife roll is not an isolated incident.

I agree with the rest of your post. The moral of the story is, don’t store knives in knife rolls long term. ::nod::

Ken

Ken
So likely the fiber content of the liner part of the roll is important.
I have some very old stained knife rolls and the liners are cotton. I think my Hickory Hill rolls have cotton, but i have others (rolls & folders) with a synthetic lining.
It would be interesting to find out which synthetic fibers can increase incidence of out gassing and/or corrosion of nickel-silver.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Correct. I have no idea if it was residual acid or some other caustic substance in the material dye or the imitation leather outer material, but anecdotally the damage was most severe where the elastic bands holding the knives was in contact with NS shields and bolsters. The damage appeared similar to that seen with celluloid outgassing, but was not limited solely to areas in contact with the elastic. Whether or not that was the origin is purely a guess. Therefore I also would not assume it was “synthetic material” which was the cause. Could have been, but dyes used in coloring the material might be the culprit. ::shrug:: In fact I do not know what the lining material was. I long ago disposed of that roll but IIRC it was lined with some type of soft felt-like material, or maybe flannel. BTW my experience was with a Hickory Hill knife roll, and I’d recommend you read this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6514&p=688180&hilit=Hickory#p688173

There are posts here from others who have had similar experiences with knife rolls. Others here say they’ve never had a problem using knife rolls for storage. However I now never store knives in other than Sackups rolls - I’ve used Sackups for years for storing knives, firearms, and fishing reels, with no problems.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Split

Post by Split »

... THANKS GANG... Lots of info / history here to read about all the brands..... PARKER has a local history. Just got a nice Trapper 2, but see the same model with etch blade for SODDY - DAISY Two Towns,, also they made the 1981 Space Shuttle shape Columba that would seek... ( Can also post in the Wanted thread ) .... I came from the upstate New York area so any of those brands are great to learn.
Attachments
ParkerTrapper2.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...welcome to AAPK!!!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............................
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Hello, and ::welcome:: from just across the state line (down in Alabama)!
I live about an hour from Chattanooga, and work all around that area.
I hope that we can say Hello at a local knife show one day!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard Split from KY. You have an interesting collection.

Return to “Member Introductions”