Hi all, new member

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
ZogXll

Hi all, new member

Post by ZogXll »

Hi all,

I've been collecting since I was young but have recently really started enjoying it again. I really enjoy finding old slipjoint knives and cleaning them up. I'm still learning the lay of the land but am interested in all folders especially older slipjoints with some kind of story.

I collect whatever I find interesting but especially any single Spey blade folders I can find. So far I only have one I made myself from a cheap Case and a Winchester that arrived this morning I'm still playing with, but I'm always on the hunt.

Glad to meet ya'll.

James
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hi all, new member

Post by Ripster »

ZogXll wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:27 am Hi all,

I've been collecting since I was young but have recently really started enjoying it again. I really enjoy finding old slipjoint knives and cleaning them up. I'm still learning the lay of the land but am interested in all folders especially older slipjoints with some kind of story.

I collect whatever I find interesting but especially any single Spey blade folders I can find. So far I only have one I made myself from a cheap Case and a Winchester that arrived this morning I'm still playing with, but I'm always on the hunt.

Glad to meet ya'll.

James
Morning James and welcome to the Forum. Maybe we’ll see you around the forum if you stick around . It’s a great place here with very knowledgeable people.
JP
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard James. ::handshake:: I have never come across a single-bladed knife carrying only a spey blade. I've only encountered spey blades as a secondary blade as on two-bladed Trappers. But there are others in AAPK who are far, far, more knowledgeable and they may be able to help you in your search.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Hey, hey! Glad you're here!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome aboard! I like those single blade farmer’s trappers from CASE with a spey too! I only have one though. I’ll have to dig it out for a pic.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, ZogXII! ::welcome:: to AAPK!
James, I hope you'll enjoy the forum.
I think I've got a couple of spay bladed folders somewhere in my pile. They are rather interesting. If I remember correctly one is an old Kabar that had a handle issue, probably outgassing celluloid.
Used to live in Orange County many moons ago.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
ZogXll

Post by ZogXll »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Colonel26 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:32 am Welcome aboard! I like those single blade farmer’s trappers from CASE with a spey too! I only have one though. I’ll have to dig it out for a pic.
The Red Bone XX Case is kind of my White Whale / Holy Grail so far in collecting. There are a few other single blade Speys out there I'm interested in but that was the first I found online but can't find anywhere. Example:
Case Spey .png
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

ZogXll wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:22 pm Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Colonel26 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:32 am Welcome aboard! I like those single blade farmer’s trappers from CASE with a spey too! I only have one though. I’ll have to dig it out for a pic.
The Red Bone XX Case is kind of my White Whale / Holy Grail so far in collecting. There are a few other single blade Speys out there I'm interested in but that was the first I found online but can't find anywhere. Example:

Case Spey .png
Mine was yellow handled. I got it off ebay. It was mint, unsharpened, and the scales had deteriorated and caused some pitting. The original owner pulled the scales off and sold it on ebay. I bought it, sent it and some nice walnut to one of our knife mechanics here on AAPK and voilà I have a XX semi custom with some beautiful walnut scales. I’ll try to take pics tonight.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello James & ::welcome:: to the AAPK! ::handshake:: We're glad you came! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Cool to learn that there is such a knife. I never saw one of those before. :shock:

I used to live in New Smyrna Beach in Volusia county. (30 years ago.) Sure did like it there! ::nod::

Hope to see you around the AAPK. Drop me a PM if you ever wish to shoot the breeze. ::tu::

Talk to ya soon,
Tom 🗡️🔪 KGFG 🗡️🔪
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Welcome James, glad to have you aboard, i also have an interest in single spey blade knives, but very thin on the ground. I used to see them around years ago, but the only ones i can find now are all steel which don't interest me, should have bought some when i had the chance. Enjoy your time here, lots of interesting threads, have a read though some. ::tu:: ::handshake::
ZogXll

Post by ZogXll »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Case Spey .png
Mine was yellow handled. I got it off ebay. It was mint, unsharpened, and the scales had deteriorated and caused some pitting. The original owner pulled the scales off and sold it on ebay. I bought it, sent it and some nice walnut to one of our knife mechanics here on AAPK and voilà I have a XX semi custom with some beautiful walnut scales. I’ll try to take pics tonight.
You ever get a chance to snap a pic? I've been dreaming of this knife you explained haha
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

ZogXll wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:48 pm

Case Spey .png
You ever get a chance to snap a pic? I've been dreaming of this knife you explained haha
I had forgotten all about it! Here are a couple of cell phone pics, it’s the best I can do tonight.
26508E57-BE3A-4F47-A2E4-AE934D97018A.jpeg
023D5820-3770-43E1-90A1-9C24D49935A3.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
ZogXll

Post by ZogXll »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:16 am
ZogXll wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:48 pm

I had forgotten all about it! Here are a couple of cell phone pics, it’s the best I can do tonight.

26508E57-BE3A-4F47-A2E4-AE934D97018A.jpeg023D5820-3770-43E1-90A1-9C24D49935A3.jpeg
Wooowww.. that is super slick. Love it. Really cool piece you have there. Thanks for sharing.
ZogXll

Post by ZogXll »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:16 am

Here's my 'custom' I did using the cheapest Case trapper I could find... No work of art, but it does open and snap close so I was happy at the time. Now I'm wondering how hard doing something similar with wood scales would be...
20211021_110031.jpg
20211021_110040.jpg

Return to “Member Introductions”