Hi from Ireland

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
edisdead

Hi from Ireland

Post by edisdead »

Hello all.
Thought I should join up as have being reading the site a long while::tu::

My interest is pocket knives mostly, older ones with an emphasis on Sheffield, but love to see the early US made examples. Love the pick bone and broad spears.

I have a few later mid century Camillus and Schrade but they're thin on the ground over here. They take a lovely edge and are great users.

I like to tinker with worn or broken raggydolls and am trying to learn as much as I can as I go.

Anyway, thanks in advance and looking forward to learning and contributing ::groove:: .
C.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hi from Ireland

Post by Ripster »

edisdead wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:51 pm Hello all.

My interest is pocket knives mostly, older ones with an emphasis on Sheffield, but love to see the early US made examples. Love the pick bone and broad spears.

I have a few later mid century Camillus and Schrade but they're thin on the ground over here. They take a lovely edge and are great users.

I like to tinker with worn or broken raggydolls and am trying to learn as much as I can as I go.

Anyway, thanks in advance and looking forward to learning and contributing ::groove:: .
C.
Welcome to the forum . Get involved and get to know some of the folks here and it will be a great asset to your collecting along with making a few new friends . Hope to see you around . ::handshake::
JP
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome aboard. Grab a rack, stow your gear and get comfortable. Glad to have you. I believe you may be our first genuine, born & bred Irishman. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
edisdead

Post by edisdead »

Thanks all for the warm welcome, much appreciated. Some of the people on this site are kinda half already known to me from a couple yrs of reading their posts and enjoying their contributions. Makes sense to join and do likewise ::nod::
Not much cutlery history here in Ireland but I live close enough to here https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/ ... 20375.html
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

edisdead wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:51 pm Hello all.

C.
Welcome to AAPK! Since you mentioned that you like to tinker and learn, be sure to check out the Repair and Restoration Forum. A lot of us "tinkerers" hang out there, share advice and post some of our adventures and accomplishments (or lack thereof). :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Welcome to AAPK. Looking forward to seeing your knives and
reading your views.

Bob
edisdead

Post by edisdead »

Hi Herbva
That is where I lurked predominantly, there and euro knife section. I might add I'm very much on the amateur spectrum. Some of the workmanship I see there is well beyond me but I have managed a couple blade (stump) deletes and the like and can remove play and centre blade "relatively" confidently. There was one disaster mind you, but I won't speak of it ::doh::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

::welcome:: to AAPK. Glad to have you here and hope to see your knives and hear your
views on collecting. Drop by on the "First Cup Diner" thread in the mornings.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard. ::handshake::
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Welcome - A visit to your Ireland is on my bucket list - As for your interest in Schrade check out the Schrade legacy forum - The regulars sure know Schrade - again welcome
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello edisdead,

As you can tell, we're glad you came! ::nod:: Great to have ya around! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
edisdead

Post by edisdead »

Thanks again to all for the very warm welcome. Hopefully my amateur fumblings and humble collection of bits and pieces fits in ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

My wife and I got engaged while visiting Ireland in 2019, gorgeous country-

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... s+the+pond

And one of our cats are named "Ireland" as a result. ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Old Sheffield Knives. ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::tu:: Welcome from the Emerald Isle, looking forward to seeing some of your collection, you might become our Sheffield go to guy. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Welcome to AAPK edisdead. ::handshake::

I have a "Roy Rogers" trick knife. Manufactured by "Imperial Ireland" Never carried, never sharpened.

Imperial Ireland.JPG

Are any of the below "Victorinox" Swiss Army Knife Shops near you?

https://www.mystore411.com/store/listin ... -locations

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Welcome ::tu:: I'm not far from you in the uk so always up for trades etc ::tu:: plus I restore old knives so can also help with any advice, but there are many amazing knife mechanics on this group ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
edisdead

Post by edisdead »

Thanks again to all, I'm afraid I will prob be a bit of a let down after all this :lol:

Redrider, you had a memorable trip by the looks of it, glad the weather and your now lady wife went the way you wanted:) Sometimes we can be complacent about where we live, seeing your enjoyment from the hollier makes me not take Eire for granted.

Cudgee, I think your name is familiar from other forums? I'm most def not the Sheffield go to guy lol, my knowledge is so far based only on what I've read and managed to remember. There are many who've forgotten more than I know;) I do love old tools, pocketknives in particular so am a willing student.

Old Folder, is the trick something to do with the lack of a nail nick on the mark side? Does it spring out?
I used to watch Roy Rodgers a bit as a kid, probably not pc these days but I loved it then. Shame Imperial folded.

Zed, absolutely, always good to trade and learn from each other. Hello from across the channel ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

One of my favorite Christmas songs, and I wish I could see this in person some day-

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Member Introductions”