Whatizzit?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Whatizzit?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Anyone have an idea as to what this might be? Some sort of award? Commemorative ? It is 6 inches long overall and the round medallion hanging at the bottom has the seal of the state of Michigan. It looks like the theme is mining, with the square panels depicting various activities of underground miners, and picks and shovels are at the top endplate. The top end has a small snaphook to attach it to clothing or ????? It appears to be made of copper.
IMG_4656.JPG
IMG_4657.JPG
IMG_4658.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Whatizzit?

Post by deo-pa »

This article from about five years ago has everything you ever want to know about the employee service medals produced by one particular mining company in Michigan: https://mineralogicalrecord.com/wp-cont ... MPLETE.pdf.

The author's address and email are listed on the first page. He might be a good place to start. Let us know if you solve the mystery.

Dennis
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::idea:: It's a major award! ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:39 pm ::idea:: It's a major award! ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
You will put your eye out!! 😁
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

New whatizzit for today. Looks like a spark plug socket EXCEPT: no hex on the inside and instead of a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive there are 3/8" x 24 threads tapped into the end. Overall length is 2.919", hex portion is 1.022" in diameter and the knurled portion is 1.028" outside and .786" inside. The number 26T is the only marking on it. The knurled surface would suggest that that part is gripped by the human hand. Any ideas anyone? The only idea I have is it is some kind of a special purpose puller.
IMG_4810.JPG
IMG_4811.JPG
IMG_4812.JPG
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

They come in sets of two , kids put them on 20” bicycle axles so they can do tricks . Extension pegs
Attachments
A839DFE6-562E-45B1-93D5-CFE54F06C01F.png
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

We would stand on them to have a friend give us a ride down the road, called it giving someone a “pump” down the road.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Aha, now I get it. But I only have one. lol
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:59 pm Aha, now I get it. But I only have one. lol
That’s just a good test in balance for both rider and driver!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

How about these, I thought at first they were screwdriver bits, but instead of the usual square recess they have a hole that is tapped for 1/4" x 20 TPI. The biggest one of them is marked "Vanier 317" .
IMG_5076.JPG
IMG_5077.JPG
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Could be attached to a length of all-thread if you have to jury rig a long screwdriver to tighten a hard to reach screw. Then again, you would have to have the same bit with a reverse thread to loosen the screw! :(

Dennis
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

That's why I dismissed them as screwdriver bits. The tips are ground in more of a wedge than a regular straight bit also.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

just bob

Post by just bob »

These aren't mine. Listed in a local auction with a group of knives. Any ideas?
Attachments
a 1.jpg
a 2.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I’m pretty sure those are scalpel handles for replaceable blades. Google “Swann Morton Scalpel Handle No 3” and you wii see one quite similar to the top one in your photo.

Dennis
just bob

Post by just bob »

Thank you Dennis I think you nailed that.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Ran across this yesterday. I am guessing that you put coffee grounds in it and then hang it in a big water boiling kettle over a campfire or camp stove. No markings on it other that the cup measures. It is made from aluminum. Has anyone ever used one of these?
IMG_5507.JPG
Attachments
IMG_5508.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Probably made for tea, before tea bags. Should work for coffee too if it's not ground too fine. JMO

When my dad made "camp coffee" he was never that sophisticated. He just dumped the ground coffee into boiling water, turned down the heat and let it steep. You strained it with your teeth!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I bet it's for tea as well
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:51 pm Anyone have an idea as to what this might be? Some sort of award? Commemorative ? It is 6 inches long overall and the round medallion hanging at the bottom has the seal of the state of Michigan. It looks like the theme is mining, with the square panels depicting various activities of underground miners, and picks and shovels are at the top endplate. The top end has a small snaphook to attach it to clothing or ????? It appears to be made of copper.
IMG_4656.JPG
IMG_4657.JPG
IMG_4658.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG
It’s a watch fob. For the old pocket watch.
You can always get more money, good old knives are hard to find.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Rockingkj wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:29 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:51 pm Anyone have an idea as to what this might be? Some sort of award? Commemorative ? It is 6 inches long overall and the round medallion hanging at the bottom has the seal of the state of Michigan. It looks like the theme is mining, with the square panels depicting various activities of underground miners, and picks and shovels are at the top endplate. The top end has a small snaphook to attach it to clothing or ????? It appears to be made of copper.
IMG_4656.JPG
IMG_4657.JPG
IMG_4658.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG

At 6 inches in length it is much too big for a watch fob, and the thickness of the solid copper also makes it too heavy.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:22 pm When my dad made "camp coffee" he was never that sophisticated. He just dumped the ground coffee into boiling water, turned down the heat and let it steep. You strained it with your teeth!

Ken
My grandmother’s family would have a reunion every other year and the old men set up large oil canvas army chow tents to dine under and made coffee in a huge cast iron wash pot over a open fire. I loved the way it smelled as a kid, the oak burning, coffee and oil canvas. If you pour a cup of cold water in the pot the grounds sink and you ladled it out into enameled cups. Good memories.
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:39 am
Rockingkj wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:29 pm
IMG_4656.JPG
IMG_4657.JPG
IMG_4658.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG

At 6 inches in length it is much too big for a watch fob, and the thickness of the solid copper also makes it too heavy.
Here is another example of a chain watch fob. The design and construction is similar to yours.
BDCA4FF6-7300-4167-8D58-949A49D8F69D.png
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

While it could certainly be used as a watch fob, what I thought that being 6 inches long and weighing several ounces it would not be the first choice of most people. As a side note, the post of mine that you replied to is nearly 2 years old. Since that time I have been in contact with a museum in Northern Michigan in a copper mining region. The images on the piece depicts mining scenes at one of those mines, where there now exists the museum. After sending them photos of the piece, they are interested in acquiring it for their museum.
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:21 pm While it could certainly be used as a watch fob, what I thought that being 6 inches long and weighing several ounces it would not be the first choice of most people. As a side note, the post of mine that you replied to is nearly 2 years old. Since that time I have been in contact with a museum in Northern Michigan in a copper mining region. The images on the piece depicts mining scenes at one of those mines, where there now exists the museum. After sending them photos of the piece, they are interested in acquiring it for their museum.

Super cool!

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”