Let’s talk Bourbon

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Let’s talk Bourbon

Post by Boji »

After a bit of bourbon talk in the Diner thread thought I’d start one for those that like it.
My personal bourbon story goes back to the 6o’s and Jim Beam, straight out of the bottle. Too young to drink in a bar! Remember the fancy Beam decanter bottles back then? Wish I would have kept a few. After exploring all the other spirits I arrived back to bourbon.
My favorite common mass produced is any Markers Mark.
But will go a different way tonight. My local hometown has a start up distillery called Century Farms. They produce a standard corn whiskey and vodka. And bourbon! It isn’t the greatest and expensive for what it is but I like to support a local small business. All of the corn used in production is locally sourced. The bottle labeled Century Farms uses only corn from farms that have been in the same family for 100 years or more. Each family has first option on the bourbon made from their corn. Pretty cool!
Like I said, it is kind of tough to drink neat, ok on the rocks, but great for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds.
Let’s hear your bourbon stories!
D20369EA-E955-4829-98FC-94C21A8BEE56.jpeg
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Let’s talk Bourbon

Post by philco »

Boji your mention of the Jim Beam decanters took me back. When I was in high school, I lived with my grandmother. She had received several of those fancy Jim Beam decanters from my aunt after her (aunts) husband passed away. Granny used a touch of bourbon to season her Christmas custard (basically eggnog) and also to moisturize those jam cakes and fruit cakes she fixed at Christmas. The rest of the year, bourbon and all other forms of alcohol were not welcomed in her home.
Since she had several of those fancy Jim Beam bottles I knew she'd never open them. One little pint bottle of Old Granddad was all she needed for her purposes. I managed to steam loose the seal on a few of those fancy Jim Beam bottles one by one, drain their contents sip by sip, then replace the seal after filling the bottle back up with water. Somewhere today there are several of those fancy Jim Beam decanters still with an "unbroken" seal that are full of tap water. :wink:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I love a good bourbon and water over ice and Maker's Mark is my choice. I drink so little these days that I almost feel unqualified to post here.
Salud!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

That's what I call slick as slick can be Phil !!! ::tu::
And Ray... ::woot::

Will
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Hey Boji, so much bourbon talk on FCD, it was a great idea for you to start a bourbon forum.
I agree wholeheartedly about the snobs. While drink, like knives and everything else, is subjective, I drink what I like. I don’t collect bottles or buy ridiculously expensive ones.
I’m going to see if I can find your local one sold here to try. I like Makers Mark. They used to have a longer aged version with black wax seal instead of the red. Haven’t seen it in decades. Years ago, I was in n South America and came across a gold wax Makers Mark (never sold in US). It was, if I remember correctly, 25 years old and cheaper than the red as they don’t tax it high like our government does.
I since discovered Elijah Craig, an excellent bourbon. When I tried it 35 years ago, it was $16 a fifth. Now it’s $30-35. Still, a great deal. What hasn’t gone up in price ?
As for a very good cheaper drink, for those that like a sour mash, Henry McKenna is very good at a great price. Not world class but not rotgut. In my opinion it is way better than most of the lesser priced.
At about $25 for a 1.75 liter, it’s a great price.
My all time favorite (not because it’s very hard to come by or pricey) is Eagle Rare. Ten years old and exceptionally smooth.
6704EBAB-4FC5-4DB1-A2C2-1A9BF65885FC.jpeg
It’s list price is a reasonable $40. I’ve seen it locally for way higher. Most I’ll pay is $50.
I ain’t a heavy drinker but I do enjoy a bourbon every now and then.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Expensive or cheap, I can't taste the difference, so I stick to the more moderately priced brands (i.e. the cheap stuff). Around $20 for a liter.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:08 pm Expensive or cheap, I can't taste the difference, so I stick to the more moderately priced brands (i.e. the cheap stuff). Around $20 for a liter.
Jerry, if you can’t taste a difference you’re doing it smart. No sense paying more than you have to. I can taste differences, but I go by the law of diminishing returns. If there isn’t any difference, I opt for the cheaper. If there is a difference, I’ll buy what I prefer within reason. I will not pay a ridiculous price for overpriced snob labels. It’s like the idiots who buy designer jeans. I buy Wranglers at Ollie’s for $9 a pair. Supposedly seconds but I can’t ever find a flaw. Same as GEC knives. I don’t buy any since the price got to be ridiculously expensive.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I still chuckle at the comments by the drunken Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in the 1966 film Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolff? He called it "bergen."
I sip a little Jim Beam Black.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Oscar,
The ones in my picture are only available in Iowa and like I said not really worth the price.
Since we share liking Marker’s Mark and Elijah Craig I will be on the lookout for the Eagle Rare. I know I’ve seen it but don’t remember a price.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:40 pm Oscar,
The ones in my picture are only available in Iowa and like I said not really worth the price.
Since we share liking Marker’s Mark and Elijah Craig I will be on the lookout for the Eagle Rare. I know I’ve seen it but don’t remember a price.
Boji, I’m sure you will like it. List price is $40 but hard to find. Another store has it for $50 (still reasonable) but I’ve seen a store ask $150. They can keep it. It’s appropriated to certain stores and pretty limited. I like it because it’s excellent, not because it’s hard to come by. Another that I like, is Angels Envy.
I haven’t bought any since the price went up quite a bit. Aged in barrels used previously for Port wine. It doesn’t impart any wine flavor but it does smooth out the taste. When I first tried it about 2 years ago it was about $43.
It’s jumped to $65 and I quit buying it.
I can remember getting Elijah Craig about 35 years ago for $16 a fifth ! Everything goes up in price.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Oscar, I think you have been in my bourbon stash!Angels Envy rounds out my 3 favorites. I’ll admit I first bought it cuz I thought the bottle was cool. Walmart has it sometimes for under $50.
How about some do not buys since we like the same ones.
Yellowstone and Cedar Ridge here.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Boji wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:07 pm Oscar, I think you have been in my bourbon stash!Angels Envy rounds out my 3 favorites. I’ll admit I first bought it cuz I thought the bottle was cool. Walmart has it sometimes for under $50.
Boji,
When you bought a bottle of Yellowstone or Cedar Ridge and found you didn't like it, what did you do with it? Suffer thru and drink it, then don't buy it again? Give it to a friend with different tastes than you? Let it sit on the shelf in hopes a visitor might take a liking to it?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Paladin wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:28 pm
Boji wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:07 pm Oscar, I think you have been in my bourbon stash!Angels Envy rounds out my 3 favorites. I’ll admit I first bought it cuz I thought the bottle was cool. Walmart has it sometimes for under $50.
Boji,
When you bought a bottle of Yellowstone or Cedar Ridge and found you didn't like it, what did you do with it? Suffer thru and drink it, then don't buy it again? Give it to a friend with different tastes than you? Let it sit on the shelf in hopes a visitor might take a liking to it?

Ray
The Yellowstone I finished as bourbon & Coke. I discovered the Cedar Ridge was still hiding out in the back of the liquor cupboard. Put it back there.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:40 pm
Paladin wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:28 pm
Boji,

Ray
The Yellowstone I finished as bourbon & Coke. I discovered the Cedar Ridge was still hiding out in the back of the liquor cupboard. Put it back there.
Boji, I haven’t been in your bourbon stash. All it proves is that we both have excellent taste !
Ok, for do not buys: I don’t care for Rebel Yell, Wild Turkey or Old Grand Dad, although all are drinkable you can find way better ones at a similar price. I prefer straight Kentucky bourbon but on occasion I enjoy a sour mash. Jack Daniels is great if you have a clogged drain. Henry MvKenna is a good one, about $25 for 1.75 liter bottle. Can’t beat the price tag for a decent quality sour mash. Another bourbon I like a lot is Woodford Reserve. It’s excellent and falls in the same price range as Eagle Rare but it’s not as good so I no longer buy it.
schradefan27

Post by schradefan27 »

My short list:

Expensive (for me): Bookers. It’s a high proof affiliated with Jim Beam.

Just right: Wild Turkey 101 and Makers Mark. Both make for good old fashioned. Makers is the better choice for straight up or rocks.

Cheap: I really like Old Crow.

I watched “Justified” when it was on and discovered the names of some super rare and pricey bourbon, but I have not tried any of those. Seems like there are new Bourbons and gins coming out all the time the past 10-15 years but I really haven’t strayed far from Wild Turkey and Bombay Sapphire.

Cheers
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Oscar, well, one thing we’ll disagree on is JD. JD & Coke is my to go if a place can’t make a decent Manhattan or Old Fashioned. I have some single barrel , single barrel select and my Covid splurge, the Sinatra.
I have an unopened bottle of George Dickel 12 year that has been hiding for several years. Suppose I should try it.
I have often pondered over the Woodford but there are so many different ones I’ve never bought any.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:28 pm Oscar, well, one thing we’ll disagree on is JD. JD & Coke is my to go if a place can’t make a decent Manhattan or Old Fashioned. I have some single barrel , single barrel select and my Covid splurge, the Sinatra.
I have an unopened bottle of George Dickel 12 year that has been hiding for several years. Suppose I should try it.
I have often pondered over the Woodford but there are so many different ones I’ve never bought any.
Hey Boji. JD is suitable for mixing. My comment was made for a straight up drink. I don’t mix fine liquor with anything, not even ice.
George Dickel is excellent. Much better than JD IMHO. I quit getting bombed when I was young. I drink these days for the taste. I think either my taste changed or JD has gone down in quality since I first had it. I Always preferred the taste of George Dickel. The bottle you have stashed away is a gem. I prefer old my fashioned cocktail with bourbon (like many others do) but…. the original and traditional Old Fashioned recipe calls for rye.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

My personal favorite bourbon is W.L.Weller. I used to be able to buy it off the bottom shelf for a dirt cheap price at the local store. That was until word got out that Weller was made with the same basic recipe as Pappy Van Winkle at the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Once that word got out, Weller became unobtainable unless you knew "a guy" at the liquor store. I don't know a guy so I've been out of luck for two or three years now. My cheap stuff suddenly became in vogue, and I was SOL.

Since then, I've been getting by with Very Old Barton, white label, 100 proof. Don't tell anyone but it's respectable and it's cheap.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

How about some I W Harper? Older than most of us. The tax stamp is 1943! Found it the back of my late mother in law’s liquor cabinet when clearing out her house 32 years ago. No, I haven’t tried it!
4C41B24F-1AE3-4A6B-B06A-227BC51329A9.jpeg
7008C0D8-11B3-458F-81E8-FF8B92B19FD7.jpeg
07A5439B-3AF6-44D6-94E0-82EA9F1B8E38.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:18 pm How about some I W Harper? Older than most of us. The tax stamp is 1943! Found it the back of my late mother in law’s liquor cabinet when clearing out her house 32 years ago. No, I haven’t tried it!4C41B24F-1AE3-4A6B-B06A-227BC51329A9.jpeg7008C0D8-11B3-458F-81E8-FF8B92B19FD7.jpeg07A5439B-3AF6-44D6-94E0-82EA9F1B8E38.jpeg
Boji, that’s awesome ! The green tax stamp is rarely seen these days. It’s called “Bottled in Bond”. To use it, the bourbon MUST be 100 proof, and aged a minimum of four years. Both criteria must be met.
It’s too bad liquor, unlike wine, doesn’t age after it’s been bottled. Still, that’s an exceptional bourbon. I do like IW Harper. Haven’t bought any in years. Guess I forgot that one in my old age. I’ll pick some up next time. Thanks for reminding me.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A couple of Beam decanters & aDaviess County one.
Attachments
IMG_1861.edit1.jpg
IMG_1860.edit1.jpg
IMG_0593.edit1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Ray that last one looks like it would hold a whole weekends worth. :lol:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

philco wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:21 pm My personal favorite bourbon is W.L.Weller. I used to be able to buy it off the bottom shelf for a dirt cheap price at the local store. That was until word got out that Weller was made with the same basic recipe as Pappy Van Winkle at the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Once that word got out, Weller became unobtainable unless you knew "a guy" at the liquor store. I don't know a guy so I've been out of luck for two or three years now. My cheap stuff suddenly became in vogue, and I was SOL.

Since then, I've been getting by with Very Old Barton, white label, 100 proof. Don't tell anyone but it's respectable and it's cheap.
Phil, I remember Weller. Didn’t know what happened to it. I thought they went out of business. It was very good as I remember.
I’ve been given a shot of Pappy to taste by an idiot friend who spent far too much for it. I admit that it was very good but not worth the ridiculous price. It’s also overrated. The appeal I suppose is it’s scarcity. There are many terrific bourbons out there that you don’t need a bank loan to purchase. Some research claims that Weller used wheat not rye, and so does Maker’s Mark. They claim it is similar to Weller.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

philco wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:21 pm

If Very Old Barton is still on the shelves over there in Bluegrass country, you may want to lay in a couple of bottles. It has taken on "Weller Status" in Illinois, and has been allocated for the last 2 or 3 years. Thus, stores only get less than case quantities on a sporadic basis, and they never hit the shelves, held for favored customers

Old Fitzgerald is a name which consistently shows up on lists of "Best value priced Bourbon". If you can find a store that carries it, it can be had for under $15.
Ike
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Waukonda wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:10 pm
philco wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:21 pm

If Very Old Barton is still on the shelves over there in Bluegrass country, you may want to lay in a couple of bottles. It has taken on "Weller Status" in Illinois, and has been allocated for the last 2 or 3 years. Thus, stores only get less than case quantities on a sporadic basis, and they never hit the shelves, held for favored customers

Old Fitzgerald is a name which consistently shows up on lists of "Best value priced Bourbon". If you can find a store that carries it, it can be had for under $15.
Very Old Barton is made by Sazerac who makes Buffalo Trace. They had a bottle in bond but discontinued it. If you find it cheap you can tell bottled in bond by the green tax stamp. To get that designation it must be 100 proof and aged a minimum of four years.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”