First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. 5 above this morning. That's 20 degrees warmer than yesterday and it's supposed to go up much of the coming week to decent tempertures. Our landscape around here got changed in December with the nasty wet heavy snowstorm that turned off our power for almost a week and bent over many of our trees and broke a lot of the other ones. We have birches where the tops are still touching the ground, and pines that look like they are growing upside down. In my 75 years living here, I've never seen anything like this. Alder swamps look like there is a flat lake under the snow, where you couldn't see across them before because the brush was so thick. We have a mess to clean up come spring with large branches broken off maple trees and a lot of smaller trees bent to the ground or broke off completely a couple feet from the bottom. I'm off to the gun show and then back for the funeral. Have a good weekend.____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin' to Y'all!
There is a light frost out in the back yard away from the trees. 34 degrees showing on the thermometer. Seems like everyone is wondering about the vegetation survival no matter where you live. ::hmm:: Lots of advice for us to leave everything as it is until the cold is gone, then prune according to the new growth if there is any. Most of the damage was done inside the greenhouse where the leaves/limbs of the plants were touching the Lexan siding, these are all potted tropical plants that we move inside each year so they can escape the cold. Miss Joy can tell me where every plant came from and who gave it to her and usually when. There is one big leafed looking tropical thing that was given to my mother when I was born so it has been cared for over 76 years. She's afraid it took a big hit in the green house as the heat lamp and the small electric heater wasn't enough when it got to 17 degrees. Outside the Satsuma orange is the real question. Other fruit trees can and have stood cold weather without any problem. Our biggest fear is a late cold snap after everything has bloomed and set fruit.
Finished up processing the last Seminole pumpkin yesterday, made a run to town, to the bank and post office, even went to the antique store, even found some green glass and a couple of knives.
Coffee is ready so the morning can officially now start. :)
Y'all have a wonderful Saturday.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:34 pm Good Mornin' to Y'all!
There is a light frost out in the back yard away from the trees. 34 degrees showing on the thermometer. Seems like everyone is wondering about the vegetation survival no matter where you live. ::hmm:: Lots of advice for us to leave everything as it is until the cold is gone, then prune according to the new growth if there is any. Most of the damage was done inside the greenhouse where the leaves/limbs of the plants were touching the Lexan siding, these are all potted tropical plants that we move inside each year so they can escape the cold. Miss Joy can tell me where every plant came from and who gave it to her and usually when. There is one big leafed looking tropical thing that was given to my mother when I was born so it has been cared for over 76 years. She's afraid it took a big hit in the green house as the heat lamp and the small electric heater wasn't enough when it got to 17 degrees. Outside the Satsuma orange is the real question. Other fruit trees can and have stood cold weather without any problem. Our biggest fear is a late cold snap after everything has bloomed and set fruit.
Finished up processing the last Seminole pumpkin yesterday, made a run to town, to the bank and post office, even went to the antique store, even found some green glass and a couple of knives.
Coffee is ready so the morning can officially now start. :)
Y'all have a wonderful Saturday.
Treefarmer
Treefarmer, the last few winters were colder than this year and plants held up better. I’m not sure it was the cold causing the problem.
I’m just gonna wait til spring and see what happens. Hopefully things will green up again.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning Folks. Today brings a warm front here and will feel a lot better. Might even get above freezing! Sure looking forward to Spring like temps and longer daylight in the coming months. Local gun show today ,will go support them and noisy around and see what’s happening. Once in awhile there will be something there that gets my attention. Mainly go to BS and catch up on the latest news in the area .
Ray, good luck at the show!
DJ Dave, enjoy your time at the show.
Enjoy the day wherever you are. Take care .
JP
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Bit late today guys, been selling a few blades.................and bought Another ::facepalm:: it's that Leverlock I posted witht XX tang stamp.

Anyways enjoy your weekend dudes

JT
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, chilly 19 at 5:30 so I went back to the warm comfort of my bed, nearly 7 before I got up to stay. Seems that spell of sleep after the plumbing call is always the best, if it happens, supposed to hit 51 sez Leland.
Got to get the trash together and then make TSC run to refurbish the the bird food larder.
I don't think it was the cold so much as the dramatic drop in temperature, these plants have seen 0 temperatures before. The golden eponymous leaves have always amazed me how tough they are. Most times in below 20 degree temperatures the leaves will turn black and as soon as the temperatures rise they slowly turn back to green and gold, but not this year. The master gardener at Cheekwood says leave them alone till spring and see if they come back, and prune accordingly. They Holly's may come back but I've got my doubts. ::shrug:: Anyway time will tell.
Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Good morning y'all.
Our rain has moved along and the Sun is shining.
Coffee was molested. But an extra teaspoon of sugar made it drinkable.
Looking for the magic penny!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Feeling somewhat guilty
I was determined not to buy knives on a regular basis anymore. Saw one different one today that caught my attention. A modernized folding version of a Persian fighting knife.
Shop owner knows me well as I used to be a frequent customer. He said business has dropped off since prices soared and we’re having bad inflation. But he’s still doing alright. He gave me a discount as it was his last one and on display. Anodized stainless steel bolsters, liner lock, ivory colored linen Micarta scales, assisted opening, Sanvik Swedish steel blade. I couldn’t resist.
Attachments
E0A462F8-07AA-44EE-A4ED-60B9E151EF56.jpeg
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Good afternoon to all. Congratulations on finally finding a new knife, Oscar! After oversleeping by considerable, I woke up to 33 degrees. Looks like 35/32 is in the cards, and fingers crossed that we don't see many more highs below freezing this winter. As far as excitement goes, I'm paddling the same boat as Jerry and Oscar. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

The gun/knife show was a total bust. If I had brought 5 old knives to the show, there would be 6, and one would be a two dollar Imperial scout way overpriced that someone else brought in. It costs ten dollars to park and eight dollars to get in. I think I need a new hobby or a different way of doing this one.____Dave
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

djknife13 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:18 pm The gun/knife show was a total bust. If I had brought 5 old knives to the show, there would be 6, and one would be a two dollar Imperial scout way overpriced that someone else brought in. It costs ten dollars to park and eight dollars to get in. I think I need a new hobby or a different way of doing this one.____Dave
Dave, I quit going to the shows a few years ago.
Used to be you could find great deals. Now, it’s store price or higher. Last bargain I found at a show was sold by a person that didn’t know what he had. I got a Hubertus stag handle lever activated auto for $25. Used, looked un sharpened, good to excellent condition. Best deal I ever got on a knife.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

It's not only restricted to knives, i know someone in the Antique furniture business, and all the good stuff has been snaffled up over the years, now mainly cheap reproductions or if something is the real deal, now very expensive. Same with old tools i have been told. So the days of finding genuine bargains at markets and such are not what they once were. :( :( :(
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cudgee wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pm It's not only restricted to knives, i know someone in the Antique furniture business, and all the good stuff has been snaffled up over the years, now mainly cheap reproductions or if something is the real deal, now very expensive. Same with old tools i have been told. So the days of finding genuine bargains at markets and such are not what they once were. :( :( :(
Absolutely correct Cudgee. Old tools were dirt cheap a few years ago. Now they are insanely priced. So is everything else.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Diner is open for Sunday, hope everyone is having a good weekend and all is well. Was watching the news here tonight there was an segment that i wanted to see and saw that the Chinese balloon was shot down. What took them so long was my first response, then saw the answer, it was totally unbelievable. Better get the coffee going so those attending services can get a coffee then get going. Have a good one everyone. :)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Morning Cudgee & all who file in here latter,

Just stopped by to say hello. ::handshake::

Hope all are well,
TCGB,
Tom 🗡️🔪 KGFG 🗡️🔪
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

TPK wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:43 am Morning Cudgee & all who file in here latter,

Just stopped by to say hello. ::handshake::

Hope all are well,
TCGB,
Tom 🗡️🔪 KGFG 🗡️🔪
Good to see you drop in mate. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Hello Tom, and all who follow. Our milder temperatures are welcome.

Our new LED lamps across the front porch look quite lovely.

For a change we watched an old Randolf Scott western last night. Nothing special except the scenery in Nevada.

May your Sunday be blessed.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE !
Thanks for opening up this morning Cudgee. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Yesterday only hit 46 degrees but with no winds and sunny skies it was pleasant. Didn’t even need a coat. 32 degrees now with a high temperature of 56 and 10 mph winds. I don’t watch the news so I’m glad to hear that Chinese balloon was shot down. If it’s occupants are still breathing, they should be sent to Guantanamo. What did take them so long ??? There is no excuse for allowing this spy balloon to enter our airspace, much less directly over a sensitive military area. I looked it up on the internet after Cudgee posted about it. It should have been brought down immediately. No legitimate reason was given as to why it was allowed to be spying on us for days.
Coffee is brewing and it’s a priority. Breakfast can come later.
Wishing everyone a blessed day.
-Oscar outta here
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mornin'.

Big day for me today. it's our annual Family Mission. Right now 30 are scheduled to attend this outdoor excursion!! ::ds::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' folks. And Oscar, I don't think the balloon was manned or womaned for that matter. :lol:
Had a very decent day at the show yesterday. Good crowd and I sold a lot of cheap knives.
Hope you all have a blessed day.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Paladin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:54 am Mornin' folks. And Oscar, I don't think the balloon was manned or womaned for that matter. :lol:
Had a very decent day at the show yesterday. Good crowd and I sold a lot of cheap knives.
Hope you all have a blessed day.

Ray
Thanks Ray. I get much of the news in bits and pieces since I quit main stream media. Just a few years ago, this would have been considered an act of war. I for one am furious that we didn’t take immediate action. I’d elaborate further but I don’t want to get into politics here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's great to wake up to the day's high of 36º and a forecast of highs in the 30's & 40's for the foreseeable future. Now that's my kind of February. ::tu:: Nothing on today's agenda but reading and occasionally checking out AAPK. My best to all. Hasta luego mi amigos,
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin' Diners.
48 degrees at Starvation Plantation with a funny colored sunrise, greenish yellow tint to everything. I saw a documentary about sky color a while back and certain shaped ice crystals reflect light and create the odd colors at times. When we see the green, we always think of bad weather but not today according to the NWS. ::shrug:: Anyhow, spring is on its' way as everything is showing signs of life! It's warmed enough to even hear frogs in the ponds right before dark. We won't let our guard down, some of those artic fronts can still slide on down to the Gulf coast. ::nod::
Coffee is ready, Miss Joy is scattering her Black oil sunflower seeds for the ground feeders in the front yard and we'll be getting ready for church in a couple of hours. Hopefully a calm Sunday.
Y'all have a good day and remember, there's always room for one more on the pew.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. It's 10 above and the moon is beautiful out my office window. Spring is months away for us up here. Our snowiest month is usually March, but we don't usually get the nasty cold after February. Nothing to play with after the gun show yesterday or any reason to return today. The funeral yesterday was nice. The lady that died was remarried about 20 years ago and we didn't get to know husband two as well as the first, but her and Jane kept close as friends, and we knew their two kids well from birth, so it was nice reconnecting. I'm helping serve communion this morning so I have to get to church a little early to set up, then nothing else planned for the day. Have a good one.____Dave
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning. Regular heat wave up north here. Like Dave said winter is far from over up here . But these warmer temps are a big blessing . Got the heat bill and sure was surprised. Excel Energy stated they had a price hike coming and they sure did ,almost 30 percent ! Think it’s time to look at Solar panels . A friend had some installed last year and he now sells back energy instead of paying monthly. It’s a bit of a cost up front ,will get them out here and get the skinny this week . Sure glad we don’t have those big Wind turbines up here . They aren’t what everyone thought they’d be !! Also need to get new batteries for my Dura max ,and of course there’s 2 of them ! So plenty to do tomorrow . For today ,service then visit with the folks and get some knives boxed up and ready for mailing . Did pick up a couple things at the show yesterday but nothing knife related . What knives they had were the cheap fantasy Bud K type ,and they were selling . One guy had a few military knives and bayonets ,at a fair price but they weren’t selling. Ammo is still a good seller around here .
Ray, good to read you had a decent show .
You all enjoy your day ,or at least try ! Take care .
JP

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”