It's in the Mail, Off Topic Style

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
cody6268

Re: It's in the Mail, Off Topic Style

Post by cody6268 »

Schylling Rodeo Champions Vikki Lee and Megan Marie. They originally came with bridles and extra hats (each had two hats--one black, one white) Thus, due to the missing items, I talked them down to $20, which I still feel is too high given they have slight play wear. However, these are the first I've seen that wasn't in a pricey set still in the package.
s-l1600SCR2.jpg
These were part of a huge rodeo line Schylling offered in 2007 (and possibly longer--the archived web page apparently suggests these were available through 2009) that encompassed all aspects--barrel racing, bull riding, and roping. There were four barrel racers/cowgirls in total--Vikki Lee, Megan Marie, Kacy Jay, and Karissa Mae; plus their four horses (which were crude). These riders have several points of articulation. I presume them to be 3 3/4" scale. If not, and they fall in between, I'll have to get the Schylling horses and tack. I found Karissa Mae as a part of an inexpensive lot of assorted barrel racing accessories in the line, and she does come with her horse, Flame as well as his tack, 3 barrels, the timing sensor eyes and an extra Schleich horse; so I'll be picking up that one sometime soon.

Most of the other model horse brands that have rider figures available at 1:18 scale (Schleich, Bullyland, Safari, Papo) only sell figurines fixed in a riding or standing position. Schleich has a few figures that bend at the shoulders and hips, and a few that also bend at the knees. They tend to be in expensive sets, and many have very cartoonish appearances.

Where were these in 2007? Good question. I was full-blown into horses 2007-2008, and I never saw them anywhere. We had both a local gift shop (itself also a big Breyer dealer) and Cracker Barrel selling Schylling items, but they both never sold them. I know I would've bought them when I saw them. I suspect it may explain why they are so rare today, and command stupid prices on the secondary market (an incomplete barrel racing set sold for over $100 recently). I can find little information on them--in fact, what I have came from a packaged example. Their website for the line is archived but was so dependent on Flash and images that weren't archived, it's useless.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Iowa with a cool country name. ::nod:: ::tu::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2022-10-02T200554.767.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

New Zippo. ::tu:: :D
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2023-02-06T054146.957.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-02-06T054152.752.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-02-06T054200.124.jpg

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice Zippo, Tom!

I was looking at Enderes Tool screwdrivers, and noticed this little "staple puller"--basically, it's a cold chisel with a spike/hammer head. I was taught to use a fencing plier and hit it with a hammer if I couldn't get the spike under the nail, but I'm not crazy about that, especially given how it damages both tools. It wasn't safe, either.

Today, I had that problem salvaging some still decent posts out of an old fence that was taken out. My Channellock fencing pliers wouldn't get under it, and I couldn't find a good cold chisel anywhere.

I figure that I can use my big framing hammer to drive the spike under the steeple to force it out. If that fails, I can use the chisel end to cut the steeple. I figure that, in my fencing pack, will likely have a multitude of uses for fencing, demolition, and who knows what else.

It's 7.5" long and the chisel end is 5/8.
0143-2__70547.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That looks like it could be a useful little tool, and the price seems decent. Hope it works out well!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:24 pm Nice Zippo, Tom!

I was looking at Enderes Tool screwdrivers, and noticed this little "staple puller"--basically, it's a cold chisel with a spike/hammer head. I was taught to use a fencing plier and hit it with a hammer if I couldn't get the spike under the nail, but I'm not crazy about that, especially given how it damages both tools. It wasn't safe, either.

Today, I had that problem salvaging some still decent posts out of an old fence that was taken out. My Channellock fencing pliers wouldn't get under it, and I couldn't find a good cold chisel anywhere.

I figure that I can use my big framing hammer to drive the spike under the steeple to force it out. If that fails, I can use the chisel end to cut the steeple. I figure that, in my fencing pack, will likely have a multitude of uses for fencing, demolition, and who knows what else.

Dang, that's a very cool tool! Be good for taking apart those cheap pallets that have staples in them too. ::nod:: ::tu:: Nice! ::tu:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

My newest plate. ::tu::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2023-03-08T170332.367.jpg

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:57 pm My newest plate. ::tu::
Nice! I think that's the newest design. I have a '42 and a '68 hanging up in the basement--both enameled designs.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

The vast majority (probably 80%) of my emergency vehicles are Matchbox and Hot Wheels (with most of that being Matchbox), but I've been wanting to expand my selection of higher-detail pieces. Most of those in my collection are big--a 1/34 First Gear IH and a 1/18 Jeep with wildland firefighting equipment.

A member on another forum was able to acquire a whole collection of Code 3 Collectibles fire apparatus for next to nothing and was able to offer them very cheaply. Most were SUVs, or the original, and rather basic Seagrave tooling.

I chose the Dearborn, MI Quantum as it was pretty high detail. Released in 1999 and is one of 5,000. It seems that they book for about $50, and I paid $25+ shipping (bringing it to $32) for this one. It is still pretty much new in the box.

I'll have to find a place to put this one where it won't get broken. I'm not removing it from the protective dome/display that it comes with for that very reason, even though it takes up 4X the space as the truck.
yhst-20560677161525_2270_121301016.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:50 pm
cody6268 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:24 pm Nice Zippo, Tom!

Dang, that's a very cool tool! Be good for taking apart those cheap pallets that have staples in them too. ::nod:: ::tu:: Nice! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
It works very well. I had been struggling with a post broken off in the other field, as the steeples had been put in from the other side (which we technically own, but it's a narrow strip between properties that has been disputed for about 10 years since the two properties neighboring us were sold, so I stay off it), and were in really good. Using my trusty Estwing framing hammer, I drove the spike end into the steeples, and the tool itself gave me enough leverage to get it out. The post, a 50+ year old chestnut log, was the problem. Bugs had caused it to rot badly and split, but the portion that was still hanging on had to be cut away with a chainsaw in order to release tension to remove the rest of the steeples and replace it with a T-post.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:08 pm I chose the Dearborn, MI Quantum as it was pretty high detail.
I'd be interested in seeing some photos of the model when you have it in-hand.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:08 pm I chose the Dearborn, MI Quantum......
Nice score Cody! ::tu:: I don't collect anything in that direction but it does look nice. ::nod:: ::tu::

TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:59 pm
TPK wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:57 pm My newest plate. ::tu::
Nice! I think that's the newest design. I have a '42 and a '68 hanging up in the basement--both enameled designs.
Those old enameled plates are much cooler but they want an arm & a leg for most of them if they are that old. Now days ya gotta be happy if the letters pop out a bit. I've seen that many states don't even do that anymore. The plates are just flat as a pancake. :roll:

TPK

Post by TPK »

This will probably be my last purchase till next month. ::doh::
Although I am not catholic, I have wanted one of these rearview mirror rosaries for at least a year now so I finally bought myself one. Picked this one out & purchased it this morning before I left for work. Looking forward to hanging it in my car. ::tu:: :D

( Tang Stamp reads: INRI ) :mrgreen:

Wikipedia says:

"The initialism INRI (Latin: Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum) represents the Latin inscription (in John 19:19), which in English translates to "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews", and John 19:20 states that this was written in three languages—Hebrew,[a] Latin, and Greek—during the crucifixion of Jesus."

Attachments
s-l1600 - 2023-03-10T070340.882.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-03-10T070334.471.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-03-10T070327.238.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-03-10T070319.535.jpg

TPK

Post by TPK »

My wife works at a school watching kids that have a couple of hrs. breaktime & they needed some scissors for arts & crafts projects. Plus we needed some for around our house so I snagged 25 pairs of new & used scissors for €6 shipped. ::tu:: Good deal. ::nod:: :D
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2023-04-01T121700.617.jpg

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:34 am My wife works at a school watching kids that have a couple of hrs. breaktime & they needed some scissors for arts & crafts projects. Plus we needed some for around our house so I snagged 25 pairs of new & used scissors for €6 shipped. ::tu:: Good deal. ::nod:: :D
6 EUR is really cheap. Even cheap (decent--not the like $1 ones that cut nothing) scissors now are like ten bucks. I got my Kai sewing scissors for half price at a clearance outlet store, and my heavy cutting scissors, X Shears trauma shears, were like $30.
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:05 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:34 am My wife works at a school watching kids that have a couple of hrs. breaktime & they needed some scissors for arts & crafts projects. Plus we needed some for around our house so I snagged 25 pairs of new & used scissors for €6 shipped. ::tu:: Good deal. ::nod:: :D
6 EUR is really cheap. Even cheap (decent--not the like $1 ones that cut nothing) scissors now are like ten bucks. I got my Kai sewing scissors for half price at a clearance outlet store, and my heavy cutting scissors, X Shears trauma shears, were like $30.
Have you ever had the feeling some auctions are kind of "hidden" from public view or very hard to find? I have. I was looking for pocket knives when I found these while checking the sellers other items he had for sale. After I bid 3€ on them nobody bid against me. ::shrug:: So I tried searching for them to see if these were one of those "hidden auctions" and they were. You could only find them if you used the same exact words that the seller had used to describe them. ::shrug:: This also happens sometimes when people misspell things. I was the only person who bid on these. Good for me. 3€ + 3€ for shipping. ::groove::
Over here these types of scissors usually cost €4 - €8 (depending on size & design) a pair in a store.
I don't seem to have any really good scissors but that's a topic I'm interested in learning more about in the near future. ::nod:: ::tu::

Eustace

Post by Eustace »

An old friend sent me something he made. Pear wood bowl.
Attachments
IMG-4fc91d56bb1a1213390c83c7050342b7-V.jpg
IMG-8a68a62d59b54a5885706059bf8af2db-V.jpg
IMG-c521a85de476930cf901526fa2a5aa86-V.jpg
TPK

Post by TPK »

Eustace wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:23 pm An old friend sent me something he made. Pear wood bowl.
Very nice looking bowl Eustace! ::nod:: ::tu::
Tell your friend he did a wonderful job. ::nod:: ::tu:: :D

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Got a ship notification that Mix 5 of Matchbox Moving Parts was coming my way via UPS.

I had canceled a previous preorder from 2022 which included the Peel Region, ON Paramedic Service debut of the casting. It was not distributed well, and was very hard to find. I got stuck with a lot of models I didn't want when I preordered a case for the Seagrave, as well as a mainline case for a few other models.

Changed my mind this time around. So far, this year, we're getting two RAM ambulances--a Matchbox Fire Department issue, as well as a 70th Special in orange.

The Dodge RAM ambulance was the main reason I bought it. However, I am lucky this time, as I will only be stuck with three extras (the duplicates in the case), not 5 like the last time. I like the Fiat 500E, Land Rover, BRAT, and Golf. Gonna argue I like the blue BRAT better than the black one I got some time earlier.
f8a4935cdd29428f9badba20ee3f6d6bxl.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

My first Stetson - Bozeman style
Stetson.png
Stetson.png (226.44 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:13 pm My first Stetson - Bozeman style
Stetson.png
Mmmmm, daddy like. ::tu:: ::tu::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:13 pm My first Stetson - Bozeman style
Stetson.png
Pretty sure I have never seen a man in a Stetson behind the wheel of a classic GTO!
Ike
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

THAT IS A MIGHTY FINE LOOKING STETSON, STEVE.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Waukonda wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:01 pm
Pretty sure I have never seen a man in a Stetson behind the wheel of a classic GTO!
When the find a way to shrink me to a scale I can afford, say..., 1/18. ::rotflol::
Quick Steel wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:34 pm THAT IS A MIGHTY FINE LOOKING STETSON, STEVE.
Thank you, Sir
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”