First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Dan In MI

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by Dan In MI »

Good evening to all. Better a late check-in than none at all! It's currently 32 degrees, and I think we hit the expected high of 33. I should see a low of 30 before it climbs into the 40s or maybe 50s tomorrow. A package from Ireland arrive today, and I remembered to get some laundry in the wash...not quite SSDD. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Good Morning fellow Diners, we are open and the coffee is on, in true Diner style we are open all day and most of the night so anyone can call in anytime to say hello and have a chat about just about anything. Enjoy your coffee. ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

GOOD MORNING FCD PATRONS
Thanks for opening up this morning Cudgee. Looks like it will be another beautiful day. 38 now but 64 and sunny later today. Got some chores to do. Laundry and cooking beef stew in the slow cooker. Of course feeding the critters takes priority to everything and my dog and cats won’t let me forget. Also need to shop TSC. I have one about 5 minutes away by car.
Also have some pruning to do in the yard. Fell asleep to the TV last night and slept good for a change. Might go out for breakfast this morning. Wishing everyone a blessed day. Hopefully it will warm up soon for those here living in colder regions.
-Oscar outta here
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' Cudgee and mornin' to the rest of the denizens of the FCD. I woke up early and need to hit the shower to get ready for Men's Devotional Breakfast. I'll suck down this 1st cup and head that way.
Not much else to report on but it is a warm 64º right now and there is rain in the forcast.
Hope your day is a good one.

Ray

EDIT: And a good morning to you Oscar.
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Mornin crew, work and not much else. 41-52 with a chance of rain. Keep yur powder dry!
David
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

Nothing new or exciting here in Dixie. Maybe a trip to wally world today.

Still waiting on the knife I purchased a week ago. No actual communication from the seller,
just two automated emails from admin. ....
::shrug::

Yawl have a grand ol' day !
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Morning all!
Getting a bit of a warmup, above freezing. Hoping for a little snow melt to shrink the piles.
Boy did I feel dumb yesterday! Haven’t listed on eBay for a long time, new listing form plus some computer update changed the way to download pictures. No wonder I drink!
But sold 5 of the 7 new listings so all is good. Hopefully no big change to print shipping labels.
Work today, must get busy on taxes, sales tax and the IRS.
Coffee seems extra good, time for 2nd cup.
Have a great day and watch out for the crazies!
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Good morn all, wow it’s way too early but, just heard the coffee pot finish. 45 - 68 today. Gotta take the wife to physical therapy at 7. Doing pretty good with a new left knee. A lot of pain but hopefully worth it in the end. Y’all have a good one!!
Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. I seem to only have bad news lately and I'm bringing a little too much gloom into the diner. I'll try to do better starting tomorrow. Today however, I got a call from my brother-in-law that he had his wife, Jane's sister Donna brought into the hospital yesterday morning. She was home recovering from shoulder surgery, started forgetting almost everything and had bad headaches for several days and refused to go to the doctor until things really got bad yesterday. Kim, my brother-in-law, called an ambulance. Donna has a massive brain Tumer and one or two months to live. Jane asked Kim if she should drive over to Michigan to help and Kim said Donna doesn't recognize anyone, even him, and there isn't much Jane can do to help right now. Death just seems to be hanging in the air all around us with the two friends that died last week, the dozen or so in the past year or two, and now this. We are really close to Kim and Donna, and this will be hard to say the least. I've been monitoring my blood pressure and it's through the roof, just under where they tell you to get medical attention immediately. Tomorrow, I have my preop for the shots in my back and hip which is in a couple weeks. It sure feels like my turn is coming up soon. Jane says there's no way I'm going anywhere with all these knives laying around and she usually gets her way, so that's good. I'm going to work. Have a great Tuesday. I still hate Tuesdays in case you are wondering.____Dave
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Morning everyone. Thanks for opening Cudgee. 51 going to 61; somewhat cloudy.

Appalling devastation in Turkey and Syria. Will probably climb to 20K dead at least. Collapsing apartment buildings in the middle of the night; I can only imagine the terror. My concerns seem petty in comparison.

Dave, prayers and thoughts headed your way.

peace & health
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Dave, sure sorry to hear this bad news. We will just put this in the Lord's healing hands and pray that Donna has peace and comfort. 🙏 God bless your family.
Well folks it 46 heading to the middle 60's.
I got to go for a follow up with my urologist this morning then pay the property taxes, then we need to hit Aldi for a few items.
Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Folks.
Dave, sorry to read about your wife's sister. Change the names and places and quite a few of us are in the same place. :(
Been to men's prayer meeting at 6am, gives Tuesdays a special start.
Going to start cutting up the deer I got on January 28, hams 1st, backstraps 2nd and then shoulders. Probably be a 2 day project, includes vacuum packing everything except sausage meat. There is going to be a big sausage making event in the near future!
Let's not forget to pray for the folks in Turkey and Syria, what a catastrophe. ::pray::
Y'all have a safe and successful day.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

Sick today… I feel like old celluloid handles, if you know what I mean
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning Diner Dwellers, and a good crowd today !
DJ Dave, hang in there . Hopefully you can get that blood pressure down !, that can be dangerous.
Starting out the day well. Coffee is good and had a phone conversation with an esteemed Member this morning about older knives . Getting some breakfast and then heading down to fix some plumbing issues in the old 410 cafe. It’s a 100 plus year old building that’s very well built but needs a little work now and then . And meet with a friend and talk about our upcoming fishing trips and do some scheduling for that. Also thinking about heading to the Tulsa show in April and Janesville in March. So after this month it’ll get plenty busy again . Will get out to the car shop this week and help get Cars ready for the upcoming Shows . Brother wants to do more out of state shows, will see what happens there . It takes a lot to haul a bunch of old iron around the Country just for a one day show .
You fellas that are off today, Enjoy .
Take care out there folks .
Jim, get feeling better soon .
JP
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!
Dave I'm very sorry to hear the bad news, prayers for your family.
I'm off to the tax preparer, I can't believe I've got all my stuff ready before March. After that
Cheryl has a doctor's appointment and then we need to buy a few groceries. That's about it
for me, everyone have a good day and be safe.... :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

For those (like me) who had no idea what was going on in the world - "A powerful 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit parts of Turkey and Syria on Monday".

Dave, so sorry to hear about your S-I-L. We are all getting to the age where news like that shouldn't be a huge surprise. I hate it but you can't control it. Most of us on FCD are getting to the age where our turn will come. I don't look forward to it but it's inevitable.

Got to get out sometime today and get more losing Lottery tickets and another gallon of milk. With a high of 39º today and 43º forecast for tomorrow, maybe I'll just wait.

The $747 Million Powerball went last night to one lucky person in Washington State. I hope it went to someone who is young enough to take the yearly annuity and smart enough to hide their identity.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Good morning y'all.
Coffee was good,
Got a little 1/64 stuff to do then HD stuff goes on.
Looking for the magic penny!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Good afternoon to all. Sorry to hear of all the ailments, and hope they are soon in the past. Nothing to report here, save for much warmer temperatures; we're at the predicted high of 53, which is 20 degrees over the average for today. The low should be 30. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:21 pm Morning everyone. Thanks for opening Cudgee. 51 going to 61; somewhat cloudy.

Appalling devastation in Turkey and Syria. Will probably climb to 20K dead at least. Collapsing apartment buildings in the middle of the night; I can only imagine the terror. My concerns seem petty in comparison.

Dave, prayers and thoughts headed your way.

peace & health
What was really amazing on the footage was, one building would collapse, but the one's either side of it didn't.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

Minnesota Dave, I'm sorry to read of your troubles of late. Thoughts and prayers for you ...

Back to the funny farm tonight. The restart from the shut down was not going well
over the weekend. Supposed to be back to 100% today ... I find that highly unlikely !!

Yawl have a grand hump day
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Good morning friends, coffee and work. 27-44 and a chance of rain. Stay frosy!
Attachments
proxy-image (26).jpeg
proxy-image (26).jpeg (13.46 KiB) Viewed 706 times
David
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' folks. I woke up early again this morning and the temp is 48º. Yesterday AT&T had me install a new modem and for some reason those chores never go smoothly for me. I have no sound on my computer and will need to get down under my desk and try to trace down wires. Nothing else on the daily agenda so I guess I can get 'er done.
Hope you all have a dandy day today.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Good Morning FCD Patrons
47 degrees now with a high of 65 predicted. Unusual for February. Other than that…
837AD0A6-C947-4CDF-A3C2-A55B109C6B5C.jpeg
Enjoy your morning coffee and have a great day!
-Oscar outta here….. ::pace::
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers for sister-in-law Donna. Kim called late yesterday and said they were going to try to bleed off the fluid in Donna's brain to relieve the pressure and maybe get her aware of what's happening and maybe allow her to recognize family. I'm off to the clinic for my preop this morning for the injections scheduled for next week, and then back to work. Church Bible study tonight. Have a good Wednesday.____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin'!
No coffee for us this morning, fasting for blood work at 8 am. Got our orders for this several weeks ago during our 6-month checkup and this is the 1st day we could schedule fairly early appointments.
Worked along yesterday making little pieces out of big ones on the deer. Still have to vacuum seal about 17 pounds of muscle-boned ham, everything else is done. Took time to watch a few videos showing how different folks break down venison hams, found out 2 things, they're very wasteful (in my opinion) and I'm very slow. One thing about it though, there ain't no junk or fat left on the sliced meat when I get done. Did learn another thing, one feller referred to the "silver skin" as "blue skin". Hadn't heard that term before, I suppose that's a regional thing. ::hmm::
Coffee and breakfast will probably be at the Waffle House this morning, a Fiesta Omelet with lots of Jalapeños. :)
Y'all have a good hump day!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”