Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Oledadsknives

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Oledadsknives »

ken98k wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:07 pm
ken98k wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:03 pm I picked up the Desert Eagle from the FFL thursday evening. It is a massive piece of machinery. As heavy as it is, there is no doubt that 44 mag recoil will be a non-issue. I was going to try it out today but it's too cold out. (-17*)
That’s a hoss for sure!!
Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:53 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:55 pm
MadeinUSA wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:32 am Some variety in my .22lr rifles

- Remington Fieldmaster 572 BDL pump .22s/l/ld
- Ruger 10/22 w/binary trigger
- S&W M&P 15-22
- Henry lever 20” octagonal barrel
- Marlin 980S stainless bolt action

FFE302A6-AF19-4F50-A80F-3A2352C43892.jpeg9FC740B0-4762-4FFB-99FB-8CEC31872D73.jpeg
Very nice. I’m a 22 nut myself, although I’ve traded off most of mine. I’m just left with a Marlin 80E, a Ruger 10-22, and a Marlin 39M. I dearly love shooting 22s.
What you said Bro. Wade is true with lots of folks, "I dearly love shooting 22s." My 1st recollection of a 22 was my mother's old Remington 33, a single shot that I carried in the woods when I was a little feller. I wish I had kept a list of all the 22s I've owned when I was younger, we traded them like marbles. I could tell all sorts of tales concerning me and a 22. (That would be a good title for an essay, "Me and a 22.") I keep one on my old woods cart all the time, it is rusty but it still shoots, there's one in the floorboard of my old F-150 4X4, there are several old 22s in different corners of the house near a door and there are several thousand rounds of 22s where I keep my ammo. When our children were small and they didn't have much money or ran out of ideas for a gift for their dad's birthday or Christmas, a brick or tub of 22's was in order. ::tu::
The most ribbing I ever took on a trade concerning 22 rifles was when I traded a Marlin model 60 for a Winchester model 67 Boy's Rifle. Even the man I traded with asked me, "You sure about that?" Everyone thought I was nuts. Who would trade an automatic for a single shot? :) (I know, semiautomatic but they all called 'em "automatics" back then. Still have the Winchester in my pile! ::tu::
Time to quit before I get wound up.
Treefarmer
That would be a great essay!

Those old Remington bolt action 22s were great rifles! My oldest boy collects the old Remington 5xx 22s.

While I dearly love a Marlin 60 I’d say you got the better end of that deal in the long run. The 67 with the finger groove stock is the spittin image of my Marlin 80E.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

Some pickups at a gun show here in Florida (attended today while we are vacationing)

- 10 enbloc clips for my M1 Garand and a bandolier
- a made-in-USA conversion kit for my Glock 21 .45acp
8E3224A4-6362-4CD1-B8E0-424C044409F6.jpeg
EC957641-8E10-4746-B87F-26A75B88ADC4.jpeg
FC95B579-BCB9-4F11-8323-90F49906976F.jpeg
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Felt the need to check some of my guns (fondle). I ended up getting all three Ruger SA revolvers out and realized I hadn't photographed them as a group. The Bearcat and Old Model Single Six I bought from gunshops. The Old Model Blackhawk is chambered in 45 Colt. I haven't done a thing to it since I bought it from a friend who got it from his brother's estate. I knew both of the brothers and was happy to get the 45. All are great fun to shoot.
Attachments
tres hombres Ruger SA's.JPG
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I checked these too. Two Savage Model 1907's and a Colt 1908. All chambered in 32ACP. A real pleasure to shoot.
Attachments
triple 32's, Savage and Colt.JPG
steve99f
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Very nice selection of plinkers you have Mr Steve !
::ds::

I almost picked up a little .32 a few years back; reminded me of the old Jim Croce song ...
"he got a thirty-two gun in his pocket for fun
he got a razor in his shoe "
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

royal0014 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:46 am Very nice selection of plinkers you have Mr Steve !
::ds::

I almost picked up a little .32 a few years back; reminded me of the old Jim Croce song ...
"he got a thirty-two gun in his pocket for fun
he got a razor in his shoe "
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown.

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I’m a big fan of everything.32, I have 6. 2 Berettas a model 81 and a Tomcat in .32acp. And 3 Ruger revolvers LCR, SP101 and a Blackhawk, all 3 will shoot 32S&W, 32 H&R mag and the 327 Fed Mag. And a Cimarron 32 H&R./32-20.
Would like to add a Colt 1908.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

steve99f wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:17 am Felt the need to check some of my guns (fondle). I ended up getting all three Ruger SA revolvers out and realized I hadn't photographed them as a group. The Bearcat and Old Model Single Six I bought from gunshops. The Old Model Blackhawk is chambered in 45 Colt. I haven't done a thing to it since I bought it from a friend who got it from his brother's estate. I knew both of the brothers and was happy to get the 45. All are great fun to shoot.
Niiiiiiiiiiice!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I had a S&W model 16 chambered in 32 H&R magnum. I only shot S&W 32 long waddcutters in it. What a fabulous round and revolver for shooting bullseye.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks for looking and the kind comments gentlemen. Jim Croce had right, they are fun. Boji I do have an 81 Beretta in 32 and really appreciate its feel in the hand. Shoots well. If you run across a Savage don't hesitate to add it to your collection. Has a 10 shot double stack magazine and classic looks. If you have seen the movie "Road to Perdition" with Hanks in the lead role, you'll note the photographer that kills him uses a Savage pistol.

Doglegg that S & W 16 must have been nice. Did you use it in competition?
steve99f
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I once had a Colt pocket positive in 32 Colt New Police, (32 S&W long) that I gifted to a friend in a moment of weakness. ::teary_eyes::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Must have been a real good friend Ken.
steve99f
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

steve99f wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:50 pm Thanks for looking and the kind comments gentlemen. Jim Croce had right, they are fun. Boji I do have an 81 Beretta in 32 and really appreciate its feel in the hand. Shoots well. If you run across a Savage don't hesitate to add it to your collection. Has a 10 shot double stack magazine and classic looks. If you have seen the movie "Road to Perdition" with Hanks in the lead role, you'll note the photographer that kills him uses a Savage pistol.

Doglegg that S & W 16 must have been nice. Did you use it in competition?
I did Steve, at the Grand Prairie gun club.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I've got a Harrington and Richardson snub-nose in .32 S&W Long that isn't deafening to shoot without ear plugs, not to mention it's fun to shoot.

Sweet firearms, Steve! ::tu:: ::tu:: I'm a big Ruger fan.

Jim, let me know how you like that conversion. I've been toying around with getting one for the 17. ::nod::👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I was looking thru some old magazine pages that I had saved because they had old knife ads on them and I happened to see this on the back of one of the pages I had saved. It is from Guns & Ammo magazine from February 1964. The article was about Thell Reed, who is the father of Hannah Gutierrez Reed who was the armorer on the movie set Rust. This was the movie set in which Alex Baldwin shot and killed the movie producer. Anyway, Thell Reed was quite the shooter back in the day. The article goes into how Reed could fire a 45 Auto from the hip on target and have 4 empty cases in the air at once. The bottom picture shows Reed and Elmer Keith examining a target. The article claimed that Reed could draw, fire six shots from a Single Action Army Colt, reload and fire 6 more shots all on target in 10 and 1/2 seconds!!
IMG_5047.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Interesting find especially now.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Here is an ad for Colt in the January 1937 issue of Sports Afield Magazine. Everyone can laugh (or cry) at the price list.
IMG_5048.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Wouldn't mind having one of each of those guns, never mind the price.
steve99f
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Boji wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:56 pmI’m a big fan of everything.32
Ditto, I have a Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless and a Seecamp Model #LWS-32 and both have been active lately now that ammo in that caliber is available again!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Latest GunBroker purchase :D
Tisas (Turkey) Duty 45. Brand new with 2, 8 round Mec-gar mags, case and cleaning tools. $430 shipped to an ffl down the street.
Forged receiver and slide, series 70 inners, ambidextrous safety.
Attachments
Tisas Duty 45.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

ken98k wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:15 am Latest GunBroker purchase :D
Tisas (Turkey) Duty 45. Brand new with 2, 8 round Mec-gar mags, case and cleaning tools. $430 shipped to an ffl down the street.
I saw a bunch of those at the gunshow today, but I had never heard of them and didn't bite. Maybe I should have. They were all nice looking guns for sure.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:20 pm I was looking thru some old magazine pages that I had saved because they had old knife ads on them and I happened to see this on the back of one of the pages I had saved. It is from Guns & Ammo magazine from February 1964. The article was about Thell Reed, who is the father of Hannah Gutierrez Reed who was the armorer on the movie set Rust. This was the movie set in which Alex Baldwin shot and killed the movie producer. Anyway, Thell Reed was quite the shooter back in the day. The article goes into how Reed could fire a 45 Auto from the hip on target and have 4 empty cases in the air at once. The bottom picture shows Reed and Elmer Keith examining a target. The article claimed that Reed could draw, fire six shots from a Single Action Army Colt, reload and fire 6 more shots all on target in 10 and 1/2 seconds!!

IMG_5047.JPG
He was one of the "fathers" of modern pistol shooting! Here's another picture him and some other guys y'all might know.
3AE558DB-73AE-431C-BB4A-EEF27DED8560.jpeg
3AE558DB-73AE-431C-BB4A-EEF27DED8560.jpeg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 249 times
From left to right: Ray Chapman, Elden Carl, Thell Reed, Jeff Cooper, and Jack Weaver

Y'all ever heard of any of those guys? :D
Robert E. Lee
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:24 am
ken98k wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:15 am Latest GunBroker purchase :D
I saw a bunch of those at the gunshow today, but I had never heard of them and didn't bite. Maybe I should have. They were all nice looking guns for sure.
I just bought another plainer version of the same gun for well under $400 shipped. I probably wont receive it until next week. Once people start discovering them, I'm sure the price is going to skyrocket.
The one I picked up today is destined to become a 460 Rowland.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I went to the gun show again today. There weren't as many knives there as usual, and with the prices lately, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention. I did take a rifle to sell that I just have not been able to get along with at all. I traded it for another and some cash, bought a Remington 550-1 22 s,l,lr like I've been wanting for a while. Sold the rifle I traded for, and bought nicer one cheaper. lol I guess I had a good day.

Here's what made it home 1969 model Remington 550-1 semiautomatic that will shoot s,l,lr all mixed up in the tube together if you want to do that. Designed by Carbine Williams, it uses a floating chamber. I don't have any pics of after I touched up the wood and cleaned it up, but it's a real sweet shooter.

Second is a Westernfield 740 A ENM (Marlin 336). I don't seem many of the store brand Marlin rifles around here, but I love they way they were laid out. The Westernfiled and the rifles made for Sears were normal ol 336, but instead of the rear barrel band they had a forend cap, and the front sight was dovetailed into the barrel instead of using a ramp. I like that set up best. Oh, and the Westernfields had factory recoil pads instead of butt plates. This one is from 1964.
IMG_5619.jpeg
IMG_5620.jpeg
IMG_5622.jpeg
IMG_5613.jpeg
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”