Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by TripleF »

Good job Monk!!! Happy for you! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I was kayaking last week and deeply appreciating the autumn weather. The water level in the river was perfect. I like to head upriver about two miles to a nice long sandbar where I can get out and walk for a while. It is 600 feet long, so six or seven trips up and down give me a nice walk, ever so much nicer than round the block in my subdivision.
Sandbar on autumn morning
Sandbar on autumn morning
I noted that the beavers seem to laying in winter stores. There were numerous drag marks on the sandbars where they had hauled trees into the river. I kayak this stretch of river pretty often and do not usually see any of these drag marks.
Beaver drag marks in sand
Beaver drag marks in sand
The beavers left me a gift on my favorite sandbar. When I slid my kayak out of the water I noticed a cut and peeled stick at the edge of the sandbar. It was just the right length for a walking stick and even has a crook for my hand. It really made me stop and question whether Someone thinks I need a prop for my strolls on the sand. I did not deny the omen and happily used the beavers handiwork.
Walking stick made for me by beavers
Walking stick made for me by beavers
Those fellows do not waste any bark when they start eating. Seeing one of those sticks reminds me of eating corn on the cob where I go round and round from end to end.
Evidence of good teeth
Evidence of good teeth
Mel
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

He knows our needs even before we ask.
Very cool, Mel.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

If you could manage to steam bend the handle portion, that would make a wonderful cane.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Hey Mel, that is cool, thanks for sharing. What a great de barking job. ::tu:: ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool Mel!! ::tu:: 8)
SCOTT

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Very nice Monk; good shooting, good eating, nice Euro Mounts. I took pictures recently of some of my mounts on my old office wall; taking stuff down and moving it to the new house - got less wall space there so I’ve got to decide what gets hung and what gets stored. I switched to Euro mounts a few years ago because they are cheaper, look good, and take a lot less room on the wall. OH
Attachments
E4F2AD14-7A96-47FB-B953-F940D1D2F991.jpeg
3F0164D7-53F3-48F7-A10C-928E712D05A2.jpeg
B946EA85-1D66-4C7E-9778-BF4260BB3B75.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice adventure Mel, I like your nature provided walking stick too! I’ve been walking around the corner at our new house and fishing off the dock at the small marina - waiting on the boat lift company to repair my lift so I can move my boat down. Fishing on the dock is a good substitute and is a quick way to get into the water. The Specks are up in the creeks, one of these was legal (14”) the others were just under, but all went back in - I need three legal ones to make a meal for the three of us. OH
Attachments
DD0E9083-659E-431D-B8CD-59E658AF3C16.jpeg
D86B3E4B-F911-4AAD-8270-543C3EC90590.jpeg
5C28275B-ED2C-4335-8F3A-CBFF65F1148E.jpeg
4A119EEB-3BD6-42AC-A325-2CE3EF25F5F2.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good stuff Bruce!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
SCOTT

big monk

Post by big monk »

Old Hunter wrote:Very nice Monk; good shooting, good eating, nice Euro Mounts. I took pictures recently of some of my mounts on my old office wall; taking stuff down and moving it to the new house - got less wall space there so I’ve got to decide what gets hung and what gets stored. I switched to Euro mounts a few years ago because they are cheaper, look good, and take a lot less room on the wall. OH
You got some nice mounts Bruce -- Pheasant is super kool !!!! ______ and like said,the Euro Mounts save the memories, for less $$$$$ ::groove::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks, fellows!

OH, those are some nice trophies, but I think those Army certificates are even better trophies. Those Specks are beauties. I was out today after Specks and I did not keep any either. I was in Mississippi, and the size there is fifteen inches. In Alabama it is fourteen, like in your state. It was a very gloomy day here and it kept raining on me, too. I only spent a little over an hour on the water. Still a lot better than sitting in font of the computer all day!
Attachments
Speck11.jpg
Bayou1.jpg
Mel
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My brother-in-law, a truly great fisherman, used to fish for specks in the brackish waters of Escambia Bay, using a short, double-ended plastic worm, hooked in the center. On retrieve, it assumed a “U” shape and the ends quivered in the water. He worked it like one would work a plastic worm for bass.

It was a very effective presentation.

I suspect it mimicked shrimp or possibly crayfish, if such even live in brackish waters.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks Gents!
Monk, that pheasant came from Marie's Taxidermy in South Dakota (near Kimball SD but I forgot the name of the town - it was right on the river). She is something, you pick what you want and leave your address, she ships when it's ready and sends the bill. I was amazed but she said hunters don't stiff her on the payment. It is her design and I liked it alot - much better than a full body mount (once again due to size considerations).
Nice Speck Mel, rainy here today too - supposed to be nice Wednesday for the first 2/3 of the day - I have to choose so I'm going buck hunting because we are in the rut here. I'll get back to fishing later this week.
Charlie, I'm familiar with that rig for Large Mouth Bass but never thought of trying it for Specks - thanks for the idea!
Bruce
Ps. A little better view of the pheasant- Marie knows what she’s doing.
Attachments
3AA7DC55-F847-4997-BAD9-313E01648C79.jpeg
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Monk and Old Hunter, I really like those European mounts, and that pheasant as well. I just took the antlers and skull cap off my buck, but if I get another one I may have to try that European mount.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Unk, taxidermists offer synthetic skulls to use on Euro mounts if you didn’t keep the entire skull. I have some of both (natural and synthetic) - hard to tell the difference without looking at the backside and seeing the mold marks. You can dispense with beatles or boiling when you go synthetic. OH
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice trout Mel!! ::tu::

Might have to get out there for some Speck (Crappie) fishing this weekend with this cold front comin' in!! ::ds::
SCOTT

Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Took the smoke pole out yesterday morning on some muzzleloader only state ground.
Did not bring any good fortune, but I did stir up some great memories.
I recall my grandpa blueing this barrel in the bathtub.
D4CE0A9A-731A-4003-8FB8-86EC6B92CB15.jpeg
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That's a nice photograph. ::tu::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice old smokepole and great scene there Tony. I went out yesterday, cold, wet, breezy - just a raw day. Our bucks are rutting and there is a lot of activity in the woods. I had a family in want of some venison so I took another fat doe that walked past my stand over in the woods - she was walking away when she passed through a clear spot - she paused and looked towards the powerline, giving me a good neck shot so I wouldn't spoil any meat. OH
Attachments
OSHC Doe 11-14-18.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good job, Bruce! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Love that pic Tony!!

Great harvest Bruce!!
SCOTT

Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Thanks Bruce and Scott.
I got skunked on that smoke pole hunt. It snapped on a nice sized eight point. I just watched him walk off, but I had a huge smile for the encounter.
Glad that the long rifle misfired because we only get one deer in Missouri firearms season. Had this chance yesterday. BHB. Behind the House Buck.
423B8562-938A-4FF9-B45B-F376AD501050.jpeg
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

:shock: :shock: :shock: What a buck ! Congrats !
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Great deer, Tony! ::handshake::
"What a buck" is an understatement, Philco! They don't make 'em like that in Florida very often. I like the BHB part, too. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Have never seen anything close to that around here [KY]. For just a fraction of a second I thought it was a moose. :shock:

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”