Problems with Windows 10

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Problems with Windows 10

Post by Shearer »

In the last few days my computer up loaded the latest version of Windows 10. ::td::
Using Window 10 search engine EDGE I can no longer block email,print emails and print bank statements. :x
I changed to Google Chrome I can now do all the printing and blocking I want. :D
I found out if I want to print or block email I go through Google Chrome and don't use the Windows 10 email option.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
cody6268

Re: Problems with Windows 10

Post by cody6268 »

You know, I've had Windows 10 since it came out (on two different desktops and 3 laptops), and I've never used Edge once. Typically 75/25 between Google Chrome and Firefox. My laptop (a law-enforcement surplus General Dynamics Itronix GD8200) came with Windows 7; but unfortunately needed to be updated to Windows 10 in order to use the current gateway from the cable company. Biggest goof-up I ever made. Windows 10 is loaded with useless programs and features I never use; nor do most people.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I have Windows 10. Never use edge. Always use Chrome.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

A laptop with windows 10 was the shove we needed to ditch PC’c and make the move to MAC. I hated windows 10 with a passion.

As luck would have it, we were notified at the end of the last school year that we’ll be running Windows 10 at school next year. Ugh!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Colonel26 wrote:A laptop with windows 10 was the shove we needed to ditch PC’c and make the move to MAC.
::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

With the Windows 10 laptop I have now, I have always used Firefox with good results.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

desk top and laptop, windows Vista. original Toshiba laptop Win. XP. My son like W-10 but the more I read I'm thinking a high end Chrome Book with SSD drive. Don't need cloud storage for most all I do. and most don't have a CD DVD drive so would need a USB version. I like my Amazon 10 inch Kindle Fire. wonder if they will ever offer laptops? Bought a customer returned Microsoft Surface Go. Had to return it and not replaced it yet.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The computer I have is running Windows 10. I’ve had it over two years, no problems at all. It came with IE 10 and Edge installed. I use Edge with no problems but my preference for a browser and search engine is DuckDuckGo, which I downloaded (it’s free).

I detest Chrome. About two years ago I purchased an Android phone. Android being a Google product, it came with Chrome (also a Google product) pre-installed. After using the phone a few days I began noticing that if I did an internet search, regardless which search engine I used soon afterward I received pop-up ads for whatever product I had just searched. Might be a different brand, but it was the same product. I turned off pop-ups, but to no avail. Still getting ads. I tried changing other settings. Still got ads for those products. In fact if you read the Chrome/Google fine print it gives you only the option to receive all ads or “targeted” ads.

I also noticed that if I went to a Walmart, as soon as I entered the store I would receive a coupon on my phone, good at Walmart for the purchase of products for which I had searched previously. Same for department stores, hardware stores, etc. The @#$&@ thing was tracking my searches and tracking my location. I tried several things to stop it, again to no avail.

Finally I tried to delete Chrome from my phone but it seems to be imbedded into Android. However I was able to disable Chrome, and immediately the pop-ups and coupons stopped. I have downloaded Edge and DuckDuckGo to my phone.

I’ve made DuckDuckGo the default browser on both my phone and PC. DuckDuckGo does not track your internet searches. I recommend it! I also recommend you be very careful about using Chrome. Google is using you whether you know it or not.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

My PC had a hard drive failure about 6 weeks ago. I bought a new HP Pavilion desktop with Edge and Windows 10 installed. It's still fairly new to me but I don't have any complaints with those two features yet.

I gave up on printers about 6 years ago. Never could find one that didn't cause me more trouble than it was worth. I no longer use my printer at home. I print everything at work instead. Thank goodness I don't need a printer very often.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I have LG Android phone and the web ads are really bad. On my desk top I got loads of repeat ads for thing I shopped for. Still interested in this? Learned if you go into the Chrome settings you can find "block third party cookies". Check mark that is it took care of it. Don't remember if Fire Fox has that. I also installed ad block, which helps with junk and possibly my web data use. Phone gets lot's of like how was Wendy's? Just clear all. Another thing now is on line banking! We do not recognize this device, and want's to text me a code to register it. Hit no thanks. They don't even ask if not your computer or a public puter like at a library.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Railsplitter wrote:My PC had a hard drive failure about 6 weeks ago. I bought a new HP Pavilion desktop with Edge and Windows 10 installed. It's still fairly new to me but I don't have any complaints with those two features yet.

I gave up on printers about 6 years ago. Never could find one that didn't cause me more trouble than it was worth. I no longer use my printer at home. I print everything at work instead. Thank goodness I don't need a printer very often.
I know what you mean about printers. They are the biggest pieces of junk made in the modern age. I recently had to toss an HP that was leaking ink all over, and bought a new Brother wireless color printer. It never did work as advertised and will be in the dumpster soon. However I am able to get by with just a black and white Brother laser printer that has worked well for many years. But I will no longer have a color one as they are not worth it, and the price of the color ink cartridges-------a few cents worth of ink for how much?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Printer manufacturers are actually in the ink business. The price of the printer is at or below cost - the money is made in selling ink. (BTW the color that uses the most ink to print is - - - black.)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Even if you print everything in B&W or gray-scale, if the yellow cartridge is empty, your printer won't print.

This is from the requirement that printers be trackable for law enforcement. Even when printing black only, a tiny amount of yellow is used to print a tracking code on your document. It's called Machine Identification Code and has been a "feature" since the mid-80s when it was developed to combat currency counterfeiting. It shows the date/time a document was printed and the serial number of the printer used to print it.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...big brother is watching!!!..... ::doh:: ...........
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

So is Jesus, so I don't sweat .
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”