First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Well didn't make morning so afternoon folks.
We just tried putting freon in the burb.
The clutch on the compressor is shot.
Okay for now but not for summer.
Had good coffee this morning.
Have 16.24 at work.
Gonna do at least 5 rolls of pennies (new box) with YouTube to help me along.
Looking for the magic penny!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ripster wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:20 pm Morning all, it’s below Zero out there ,and no desire to go out before it warms up a bit. Supposed to get to 20 and sunny ,we can deal with that. Had a long night, wife woke when I started screaming ,had flashbacks ,dreams of being back overseas ,thought had handle on that but guess it’ll be there forever.
Not sure what today will bring, and good with that. Head to library and drop off and pick up a new batch of books. Then check on a package coming from Canada , do some research on a couple things. Might work on some shelving for the basement storage area. Life’s good , no worries or pressure, will be a good day . Hope you all have a good day as well ,and stay warm and safe out there.
Rip, I have your back sir!
I can't give you anything, other then I'm here for you, in are Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Many thoughts and prays for the both of you, God Bless you!
::pray::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:21 pm
Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:47 pm JP, I wonder if there is a vet near you to whom you can verbalize your experiences. Just talking about them can relieve a lot of pressure or tension. Don't know how far you are from a VA, but they usually have some good psychologist who can be of real assistance.

I'm sending a PM with my phone number. Don't hesitate to call anytime. (You can always hang up. :) )
Want to say Thank you to Garry ( QS) for the support and phone number. Do have a PTSD counselor here at the Chippewa County VA . And a friend not far who served in the 101 st with us, he and I get together a bit. Thank you to all of you here as well, for support, some laughter and most of all ,for being there . Usually don’t bring my crap here and unload, but last night was rough . Almost got violent, and that freaked my wife out pretty bad . Will try not to bring it here again . Take care .
The demons that you vets carry effect everyone who is close to you. You can bring your stuff here anytime as far as i am concerned, that is what is great about the Diner, it is an off knife place for everyone, and we are a supportive bunch. Eclectic bunch :lol: :lol: :lol: but friendly and supportive. You dump whenever you need too mate, no one here will judge you. :) ::handshake::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Howdy neighbors, ifn that rooster dont quit crowing so early in the morning there may be chicken and noodles for Sunday dinner. :lol: 25-43 and sunny. Happy trails!
David
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We have a degree here this morning. One single solitary little degree. So lonesome all by it's self. So pathetic I almost feel sorry for it. Almost.
Sure makes you appreciate automatic central heating. How many remember getting up and hoping the fire in the pot belly stove hadn't gone out then stoking the feeble little fire in it? When you got it going, it only warmed one side of you at a time. Ahh the good old days. Maybe they weren't so good after all.

Start a fire in the cook stove and get the coffee to perking. You're gonna need it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Good morning you all from the Mountain State, it's 22* here and 3" of new snow overnight. I'm working at the gun shop today so should be an interesting day. The critters and birds are fed and Trix has done her business, it's time for some coffee. You all have a good and safe one in your neck of the woods today.
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good Morning. 23 going to reach 32. Yesterday afternoon we finally got some serious snow. At least the flakes were big and looked like they would hang around overnight.
P1040099 (2).JPG
P1040098 (2).JPG
P1040101 (2).JPG
Keep safe and warm.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. 6 below here. WE should be able to get most of our siding on today, or not. We have to do some of the soffit trim to but the siding up to before the top row of siding and we do have to warm up frequently to keep going so I guess we get done what we get done. Carpentry sure is more fun when it is 60 out. It still beats getting a real job. Have a great Thursday.____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Gentlemen.
Looks like we are the winners this morning, so far as degrees go. We have 43 of the little rascals showing up this morning. Winter has returned, it is cold and very wet here on the farm. :( The rain went through yesterday, there was a tornado in the mess over in Tallahassee. Work day today, we'll probably work at cleaning up the shop, maybe. ::shrug::
Coffee is ready, y'all have a good day, stay warm and dry if you can!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning all, boy the coffee sure taste good,especially on a cold morning.
Thanks to all for the support the other day. You all are a damn fine bunch of people.
JerryD, the Packers deserved to lose after the way they played, they blew it.
Really not sure what’s on the schedule for today,may go check on Mom, see how she’s doing with grub and anything else ,and get her stocked back up. Then finish some shelving in storage room.
Hey Smitty, how’s it going down there, that tornado sure made a mess of things.
Alright folks, gotta get a refill and check out the Camillus section,and get the day rolling.
Take care out there and stay warm and safe. ::tu::
JP
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 🌡right chilly 27 headed to the mid 30's sez Nikki D.
Outside critters are fed, Sissy has gone on her morning run. I hear the boss stirring so I better get the sidemeat cooking.
Yawl have a good'un and be safe out there. ::handshake::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' folks. I sure slept in this morning so maybe not such a long nap later today. I got my Blue Jays fed and also the White Wings. They are moochers, along with the tree rats. Guess it'll be a good time for me to get in the kitchen and whip up a bowl of gruel for the Bride and I.
Hope you all have a fine day today. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!!!
We had our coldest night yet in North Texas I believe. 27 degrees here in Ponder Country.
Cheryl has taken Griffin to get a haircut so he will come back prancing around.
I'm probably going to stay right here today and get some more writing done and I might
clean up a few files for this new year. Anyway be safe today and be a blessing to someone. :D
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well we had a degree when I was up around 0500 for a head call, but somehow we lost it and @ 0900, we don't have any temperature. It's zero and sunny.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:06 pm Well we had a degree when I was around 0500 for a head call, but somehow we lost it and @ 0900, we don't have any temperature. It's zero and sunny.
Zero and sunny,akes me hurt just thinking about it.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone
Well, the news this morning confirmed what I suspected.
I always thought that there was a lot more snow when I was a kid. Turns out, I was right.
Between 1950 -1980, we averaged 60cm of snow a year. Then it drops, ending in the current average of 34cm. Wow, that’s nearly half. ::uc::
Pretty scary stuff. We are up a couple of degrees on average, and it’s just enough to mess things up. We still get the same perception, but it’s rain, so I was right about that, too.
Guess what it’s doing right now?!
So, looks like I am moving. I’m not exactly heartbroken. The place seems likely to just heave a big sigh one day and collapse around my ears! ::paranoid::
Hey! Once I know how much the move will cost, I can go back to important stuff - like buying knives! ::tu::
Have a good and safe day everyone!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

It is still a might chilly in my part of Texas.
But the sun is shining and it could be worse.
Coffee was good this morning.
Sonic was good for lunch.
Got a pretty decent check.
Been doing pennies is why I'm so late checking in.
Looking for the magic penny!
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Mornin, here go again. Cup of coffee sure is good. 30's-50's some sun and breezy. Off to work Later!
David
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Good morning you all from the Mountain State, it's a bone chilling 16* here on the mountain today, Amber the weather gal says temps tonight dipping into the single digits. I have to work at the farm today, I'm digging out my flannel jeans, warmer than long johns, the older I get the less I like this cold weather. I'm gonna fix Miss Kate some french toast for breakfast, I got some coffee going so I better get moving. You all have a good and safe one out there today.
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' to all the folks here in the FCD. It is a cool 37º here in P'ville with 71% humidity. I have an appointment to take my Rav4 in for an alignment this morning and not much else on the agenda for the day.
Hope you all have a knife day today. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Boys.
Got up a bit early this morning. Our son spent the night with us and he had to leave early this morning to be on a job site in Panama City Beach. They are setting 105' cold formed steel roof trusses on a new school project under construction. He told us the wind shut them down yesterday, the crane was in place but there were gusts up to 29 mph so he chose not to 2nd guess the wind and pay for crane time. He said as long as they don't actually start the job the crane doesn't cost them because of weather delays but if they start and have to stop there is a minimum fee for the big crane. He said there are 26 trusses to set and he probably would have to stay another night. We don't mind getting to see him! ::tu::
If my old bum knee didn't ache so much this morning, I should be in the woods on this brisk 32 degree morning. I may go this afternoon.
We tell folks we went to the Crack House and they kinda look sideways at us. There is a commercial pecan cracking and cleaning company that is named the Crack House. One of our friends had given us about 40 pounds of pecans a little too much to do by hand.
Coffee was good, stay warm!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning Ray,Trapper, Philip and David, Coffee is great this a.m. Cold clear morning ,anyone see the moon last night, the full moon looked eerie,had a bright ring around it from where we are . It cast a decent shadow when we went out, at 5 below, didn’t stay out long . Not sure what’s going on today,other than wife is done at noon ,so may go do something! Not sure what as so many things are closed right now . Maybe hobby lobby and get lunch to go somewhere. Then we’ll probably hang out in her studio and just enjoy the day .
Hope you all can do something that puts a smile on your face,or someone else. If your working,hang in there, the weekend is almost here. Take care ,stay safe and warm out there.
JP
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

15 going to 37 with some sunshine. Only thing on my invisible agenda today is house cleaning. Well, I guess the top priority will be not to lose what I gained in yesterday's roiled stockmarket. Actually, excepting just one company I stay clear of the markets. During my later working years I twice saw people who were about to retire experience a crash losing 30 to 40% of their funds. This required working additional years to make it up, years in which they had planned to be retired. I'm sure there are people who succeed in the stockmarket but for the most part, at least for me, the odds are better in Las Vegas.

Stay safe; keep warm.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. It's suppose to warm up slightly today from our cold week. Cold on January is pretty well a given up here so if we get up around 20 everything goes on as usual. At 20 below, we still go about our business, but we grumble a little more. We got just about all the siding, outside trim and soffit on our little project yesterday. We need a little more soffit material and a few other things so a run to the lumber yard is in order, probably over lunch. Have a great Friday and weekend. ____Dave
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Top of the morning to you. :D

The term is Irish and to my understanding means "The best part of the morning to you."
Thought I would change my morning greeting up a little bit. I see a bunch of you guys
telling us about the temps being in the teens and twenties every morning and I'm really
glad to be in North Texas. It can get cold, but nothing like what you guys are going through.
This is going to be a do nothing Friday, except maybe this afternoon I might get out at my
workbench and work on a couple of kit knifes. I need to clean and straighten up my office
but that sounds to much like work and I'm basically a lazy retiree.
Enjoy your day and be a blessing to someone.
TU.png
TU.png (4.66 KiB) Viewed 307 times
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”