Real Men

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
woodwalker

Re: Real Men

Post by woodwalker »

You didnt wash those grizzly old Chief's cups either! Learned that the hard way!! :)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:41 pm
dlr110 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 pm In the Navy back in the early 70's we had those 30 cup percolators everywhere on the ship. By the time you get down to the bottom third of that it gets very strong (depending on the amount of grounds used) so I got in the habit of sugar and cream. Later after I came to shore duty we used the 10 cup drip coffee makers in the control tower and radar room so the coffee was much better. I dropped the sugar, but I still continue to this day to use milk or half & half.
Navy and coffee? Indeed.

I hadn't been on my new ship for long, and I didn't drink coffee. I had the 8:00 watch and the grizzily old Chief came in to the control room, headed for the percolator and it was empty. He really got on my ass for not having it ready when he came on duty. I thought it was BS for me to be required to make coffee since I didn't drink it, but you do what you have to do to get by. The next morning, I got that 30 cup percolator and I scrubbed the crap out of it with Comet (and wasn't real particular about how well I rinsed it) I made the coffee and manned my broom for a clean sweep fore and aft....The Chief comes in, sees the coffee is made and smirks as he fills his regulation mug. I had my head turned but my ears open when he spewed the first mouthful all over the room. He pops the lid off of the percolator and sees it is shining like new money. I thought he was going to cry when he explained that it took three years to properly "season" a new percolator....I just played innocent and told him, Chief, the inside of that thing was filthy, I couldn't make your coffee in a dirty machine....I never had to make coffee again, but I never got off of his **** list either. It was worth it as it still makes me chuckle 50 years after the fact. ;)
Great story Steve, as are ALL the others! I started drinking coffee when I was 17 and working at my Dad's Texaco gas station. WE have a restaurant up here called "Salisbury House" that more-or-less caters to the working man, and it was close by so we bought our food there if we didn't bring a lunch, plus our coffee. They served the strongest, best coffee known to man, and I had mine with cream and sugar, but one of my fellow employees was a rugged Native man who really liked his alcohol, so many days he would show up hungover. When whoever was sent for coffee came back, this man would grab his extra large cup of scalding hot black coffee and gulp it down in about 4 gulps. I watched in amazement figuring that at any moment he would be screaming in pain, but he simply finished the cup, threw it in the garbage, and said, "O.K., lets work"! I still drink mine with c + s along with 2 or 3 smokes, but as it was stated earlier, after 50+ years I'm gettin' kindda bored with coffee! Go figure! ::shrug:: 8)
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

woodwalker wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:58 am You didnt wash those grizzly old Chief's cups either! Learned that the hard way!! :)
I bet you did. I had a young E3 wash everyone's coffee cups one evening in the Air Operations break room and from our department head down to the section leaders they were all looking for his head.... :x
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 pm
woodwalker wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:58 am You didnt wash those grizzly old Chief's cups either! Learned that the hard way!! :)
I bet you did. I had a young E3 wash everyone's coffee cups one evening in the Air Operations break room and from our department head down to the section leaders they were all looking for his head.... :x
One of my buddies had some kind of watch on the bridge, must have been a messenger or something similar. In the middle of the night the old man handed this kid his coffee cup and said, "Here, do something with this." He disappeared through the hatch and reappeared in about thirty seconds. The Captain did a double take and asked him, "What did you do with the coffee cup?" The poor lad gulped and admitted, "I threw it over the side, sir." The old man went ballistic and threw the book at the kid for several things including disobeying a direct order, destroying government property and I can't remember what else. He did some brig time and I don' think that he ever saw liberty again....It was the opinion of the engine room gang that the the young man did exactly what the captain told him, but our opinions didn't matter.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 pm
Well ole Chief Ernie Randell had mercy on me that day. Funny story we were going down to Africa to pick up some mine sweeping helicopters because the Iranians were mining the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf back in 1979 and we ran into a hurricane. Well the ship was all over the place and taking those massive waves and we had to tie our rolling chairs tied to our work equipment and and keep working. Well ole Chief Randell was having some trouble keeping his food down and I was just a young E3 dipping Skoul and sptting it in the trash can teasing the ole sea dog about upchucking in his trash can. I guess I was just a young guy and the ship taking those kinda rolls didnt bother me. Ole Chief Randell cut me some slack on that too. He must have liked me or something! :)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 pm WE have a restaurant up here called "Salisbury House" that more-or-less caters to the working man, and it was close by so we bought our food there if we didn't bring a lunch, plus our coffee. They served the strongest, best coffee known to man...
Sounds like my kind of eat-um-up joint!

Fortunately, I never had to deal with cleaning up some salty old Chief's coffee cup...
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:54 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 pm WE have a restaurant up here called "Salisbury House" that more-or-less caters to the working man, and it was close by so we bought our food there if we didn't bring a lunch, plus our coffee. They served the strongest, best coffee known to man...
Sounds like my kind of eat-um-up joint!
Yep, you said it Dan, the absolute best burgers, fries, sandwiches in town, and bacon and eggs to die for! ::sotb:: 8)
Fortunately, I never had to deal with cleaning up some salty old Chief's coffee cup...
8)
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Just FYI, long term consumption of very hot liquids can precipitate esophageal cancer.

We used to camp with another couple our age.

Coffee was made every morning in a coffee pot, not a percolator, by boiling the grounds in creek water.

At the end of that process, Dennis would drop an egg into the pot, all the grounds would settle to the bottom and not end up in anybody’s mug.

And there was one soft boiled egg for someone to eat when the coffee was gone.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”