158th Anniversary of Antietam

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

158th Anniversary of Antietam

Post by Ridgegrass »

September 17th, 1863. Bloodiest day in American history. 22,717 dead, wounded, and missing at Antietam Creek, Sharpsburg, Maryland.

A great place to visit and reflect on our history. Beautifully kept in it's original condition. No commercial development or "Battlefield Malls" like many of our sacred sites.
1: Bloody Lane in the center of the battle. Bodies were piled up for cover. One of the most solemn places I've ever stood.

2: Burnside's Bridge today facing the Union right's assault. About 8 feet wide. Burnside spent hours and thousands of lives trying to push a division over
this bridge against Toomb's entrenched Georgians on a bluff over the creek. (next pic)

3: Burnside's Bridge facing the Confederate position on the high bluffs. (Period photo.)

4. Confederate and Union dead near the Dunkard Church on the Hagerstown Pike. Battle center.

The devastating results of civil strife.
J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3451.JPG
IMG_3456.JPG
IMG_3457.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 158th Anniversary of Antietam

Post by doglegg »

Very sad pics. Amazing history. Thanks for sharing.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Thanks for posting, J.O. I have had an interest in the Civil War since I was 7 or 8 years old when I got a Civil War board game. I have not been to Antietam or Gettysburg, have visited 3 or 4 other battlefields. I hope to go to the Museum of the Confederacy at some point. I was at the Atlanta History Museum a few years ago when they had a major Civil War exhibit with items on loan from the museum in Richmond.

Antietam was brutal.
Ike
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Better go before the "revisionists" ply their ridiculous trade to change things. J.O'.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:07 pm Better go before the "revisionists" ply their ridiculous trade to change things. J.O'.
Sadly, your statement is good advice.
Ike
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I made a major date blinder above. Antietam was fought in September 1862, not 1863. So, 159 years ago. Duh!! ::dang:: If you knew that thanks for your indulgence. I'm losing it! J.O'.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

The bottom picture says it all.
It is over but it should never be forgotten no matter what side of the line our ancestors were on. It seems there is an element in our country that wants to do this again. :(
Thank you, Ridgegrass for reminding us! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

TF: Sadly, the way history is taught today, I don't think students get an accurate picture of the human consequences of civil violence. They only seem to get some detached version of which cause was right or wrong according to current opinion. I asked a history teacher where I taught how much class time was devoted to the Viet Nam war. One day was the answer. Twenty plus years, 58,000+ dead,(just on our side). countless physical and emotional casualties, and residual political and social scars still around today, and it gets one day's glance! I'm not blaming anybody, it's just the way things are, but no wonder we never learn the true lessons of history.
You're dead right, anybody who thinks another civil war is going to straighten things out had better take a long hard look at the possible outcomes.

Sorry , I'll get down from the soapbox now. ::tu:: :D

J.O'.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 pm no wonder we never learn the true lessons of history.

J.O'.
In a small town near me, there are 18 military stones in a line in the center of the city cemetary. All 18 were killed in a 2 day period at the battle of Fort Donelson. The population of this town was less than 1000 at the time of the Civil War. Imagine 18 residents from in and around a very small town all killed within a 24 hour period. Imagine the bodies transported back for burial by horse and wagon and the somber ceremonies.
I would probably be safe in saying that 99% of today's residents have no knowledge of those 18 stones. Yet, to your point, this should, at the very least, be worthy of a 1 hour field trip for the local high school history class.
Ike
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Ike, I'd like to see a pic of those stones. Grant's first victory. Thanks.
Having paternal roots in SW Virginia and West Virginia we have dead family on both sides. A couple confederates killed at Gettysburg, one Union died in the hell of Andersonville prison and one at Point Lookout prison. Four others made it home okay.

Years ago there used to be Civil War "Round Tables" where students and enthusiasts would have discussions and study of the war. It'd be nice to have a thread here. So much of the Eastern theater happened within MD, VA, and PA it's an area rich in that history, We here are within a half day's drive from Gettysburg, Chambersburg, Monocacy, Antietam, Richmond, Petersburg, Ball's Bluff, Drewry's Bluff, Fredercksburg, Appomattox, Harper's Ferry, Ft. McHenry, Phillipi, and many more. J.O'.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

In all honesty I've never been a Civil War buff although I understand and respect those who have devoted much time and energy to the study of that great conflict that divided our nation. This past week I had the opportunity to visit Appomattox Courthouse, the scene of Robert E. Lee's surrender to the Union Army and Gen. Grant. It was, for me, a somber experience as I stood on the same ground where those men had trod so long ago. There were many old photos on display of many men who served and died during that war. Most were young and in their prime at the time they fell. Simply put, it was a sobering experience for me. I hope and pray our country is never again so divided.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 pm Ike, I'd like to see a pic of those stones.
Will do, will go by there sometime in the next few days.
philco wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:25 pm This past week I had the opportunity to visit Appomattox Courthouse, the scene of Robert E. Lee's surrender to the Union Army and Gen. Grant.
Any photos you could share, Phil?
Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Years ago there used to be Civil War "Round Tables" where students and enthusiasts would have discussions and study of the war. It'd be nice to have a thread here.
Not sure how much interest we could generate, but I like it. Even those with only a mild interest, but living in the Eastern half of the U.S., should have some local historic connections to share.
Ike
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

J.O., you certainly have the family connections, wow. I had one great gr run away from home and join up At age 17, he ended up on Sherman's march to the sea. Your family was really in the thick of it. I remember reading Andersonville back in high school, couldn"t hardly put it down after I started. Calling it "hell", is an understatement.
Ike
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Phil, You probably heard the story of Mr.McLean , in whose house the surrender was signed. How he had moved to Appomattox to escape the war that destroyed his property at Manassas during the first battle of Bull Run in '61. There are so many oddities like that associated with the war.
Joan and I were at Appomattox during a large reenactment some years ago on the anniversary. It was a stirring and very realistic experience, hundreds of
participants in fully authentic dress and gear. I'm pretty sure they'll do one for the 160th on 2025. It would be a fantastic trip for anyone with interest.

Glad you got the chance to see it. J.O'.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 pm Ike, I'd like to see a pic of those stones. Grant's first victory.
Attachments
20210922_171442.jpg
20210922_171510.jpg
20210922_171604.jpg
Ike
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC05511.JPG
DSC05507.JPG
DSC05511.JPG
DSC05547.JPG
DSC05551.JPG
DSC05553.JPG
We did a week long trip in Aug 2018.. Antietam, Monocacy, Harpers Ferry and Gettysburg.. ::ds::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

John and Ike: Great pics, very well shot and solemn tributes.
It always strikes me how quiet it is at Bloody Lane. Gotta get by there again soon.
There's a little diner called the Red Byrd on Rte.34 in Keedysville, a few miles north of the battlefield. Always stop in for a bite, Also a nice cavern called Crystal Grottoes nearby. Not huge like Luray but very nice formations. Takes about 1/2 hour to tour.
Thanks again for the pics.
J.O'.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

It's true. For the best part Kids today know NOTHING and don't care to learn.
TV (even Fox News) is trying to make my head explode.
Looking for the magic penny!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:43 pm It's true. For the best part Kids today know NOTHING and don't care to learn.
TV (even Fox News) is trying to make my head explode.
I find I'm not nearly as cantankerous and my life is much more pleasant if I don't read the news, listen to the news or watch the news.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

That's why I Stay in my room a lot.
Looking for the magic penny!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

::tu::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:14 pm John and Ike: Great pics, very well shot and solemn tributes.
It always strikes me how quiet it is at Bloody Lane. Gotta get by there again soon.
There's a little diner called the Red Byrd on Rte.34 in Keedysville, a few miles north of the battlefield. Always stop in for a bite, Also a nice cavern called Crystal Grottoes nearby. Not huge like Luray but very nice formations. Takes about 1/2 hour to tour.
Thanks again for the pics.
J.O'.
Hey, J.O'. I picked this up at the Antietam Battlefield Gift Shop. It's yours, if you would like.
20210926_190620.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Steve, Thank you very much, that's generous. I just swapped my buddy a copy of Sears', LANDSCAPE TURNED RED for his Gallagher book and it's next on my list. I heard it's good, studies a variety of angles. I never tire of reading that battle or visiting there. Thanks again anyway. ::handshake:: , J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3469.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

You're welcome! :D
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

I've been to Antietam Battlefield twice. The Atmosphere is different there than any other Civil War Battlefield Ive been to.
David

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”