Anybody Know About Metal Detectors?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
9ball

Anybody Know About Metal Detectors?

Post by 9ball »

It is kinda wet outside, so I am going to work in today. Don't tell the Boss I am back on that knife website. :)

I have been interested in a nice metal detector for some time. I owned a Realistic/Radio Shack years ago, it was more of a toy.
One of the coin shops I do business with carry "White" brand, so he will sell me that for sure.

Most people I have talked with are kinda vague on the subject, John Swift passed through. :lol:
I have searched on the web also, but just not sure what I am looking at.

What do I need to be looking for? I had rather go ahead and spend the money and buy a good one.

I appreciate any advice or referrals

9ball
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
nifenut

Post by nifenut »

9ball,

I am far from an expert on metal detectors but I have owned two. Both were Bounty Hunter brand. They cost about $250 each. I understand that Garrett makes some professional models that cost quite a bit more.

I have used mine for coins, KNIVES, rings and lots and lots of pull tabs.

If you're new to it, you'll think you should have bought a backhoe to go along with the detector ::tired::

Good luck,

nifenut (Jim)
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Thanks Nifenut,

I figured the digging part. I will be using one around old home sites, Civil War encampments, etc.
Around here you will find more copper tubing than pull tabs. ::nod::

Thanks again for your time.
9ball
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

metal detector

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey 9 Ball;
If you can hold on for a few days, I can get some info to you, My wifes detector is on loan due back this week sometime. Got it mail order from youe neck of the woods I think. It was a good price, a good product and fast service. It is a Garrett.

By the way, how many times out of 100 breaks do you sink the nine.
W.B.
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Hello W.B. :) ,

I can wait, I have been waiting a couple of years just to find the right one.

About Nine Ball; It is a fast game, but I do not remember ever sinking the 9 right off the break. I never have seen it done yet either. We have a Friend who stills plays in tournaments and I will ask her next time they are over. I also have a Cousin who builds tables and gets around the South East some and I will run it by him also. Good Question.
Has it happen to you?

With Eight Ball/Strips & Solids; I have sunk and have seen the Eight Ball drop on the break several times.

9ball
aka
Rick
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

9ball
My brother gave me a Garrett when he moved. I haven't tried it out yet, but he seemed to do OK with it. It's called a Freedom Ace Plus.
They are in Garland, TX. The phone number on it is (214)278-6151. I don't know if it's current, but you could give it a try.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

metal detectors

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey 9 Ball;

Yes , I have had a couple, not near enough.

I got this name from
garret.
He helps with some of their field tests or did anyway. Real nice guy to talk too.
RON'S DETECTORS 301 KEENAN LANE, SHELBYVILLE TENN.37160
TEL# 931-224-1861. You also can look him up on the web.
Good Luck,
W.B.

Edit: Before you dig or look in state, national or Federal sites be sure you read the rules governing where its permissable.The regs are really strict and penalties really stiff.
yerout

Post by yerout »

Rick, I didn't know you wanted to become a metal hound to, I also swing one of those little critters around some or at least I did but not much hunting lately, Rick I strongly urge you to look at Fisher if you are looking for a quality detector, I use a Fisher CZ-70 Pro have also owned a Fisher CZ-5 both are great machines, all my digger friends use Fisher of some model, they go DEEP and I mean DEEP.

Roger (yerout)
yerout

Post by yerout »

Mossdancer, I've offered 9ball a game and I we can't seam to hook up but I can assure you I've made the 9 on the snap more times than I can count, don't tell anybody but I think he's scared !

Roger
Camillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anybody Know About Metal Detectors?

Post by Camillus »

I own two Garrett Metal Detectors and have been very pleased with them, I found enough items the first year to pay for my second one.
Mine-lab is excellent too if you have the money to invest...
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I had a Tesoro a few years back they had a Life Time Warranty my grandson uses it now...
Never Doubt Your Dawg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Garrett is a great brand. I have a good friend who, along with his wife, do metal detecting stuff where ever they travel. They have a pair of ATPro models. They love them.

I had an old Radio Shack version for 40 years. Over time different parts of it quick working, but it could still do what I needed - find property corner markers, etc. It finally died a few months ago and I have a Garrett 400 on order since I finally need to find something again. That one should last langer than I will.

There are 2 types of digging tools that work well - the Japanese Hori Hori gardening tool and the Becker BK3 "Tac Tool". The Hori Hori can be found for much less ($23 to $70) than the BK3 ($97 and up, sometime less on fleabay) but I use the BK3 because -

1) I already had one when I learned about the hori hori
2) the BK3 has many uses camping and hiking, which the hori hori does not have - try lifting a dutch oven with a hori hori.
3) the current sheath is a Molle compatible hard plastic that cleans up easily.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

For a really good one their expensive. Buy a good one or your wasting your money! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”