SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Loose Arrow

Re: SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

Post by Loose Arrow »

Boji wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:34 pm
Are you purposely mincing my words? I said cur NOT cull. ::hmm::

Unchecked breeding - BY BACKYARD BREEDERS WHO FILL THE DEMAND FOR "CHEAP" DOGS.

- This selfish demand fuels the supply.
Want less mutts in shelters? Want more stable dogs? Or do you just want them to be cheap? Seems to me that is your only concern.
Waiting to hear what you propose to do with the millions of dogs currently held in shelters and rescues?
I just did. Let me highlight my concern.

Here's an old Spanish mantra that may help articulate what it sounds like to me when a person says they want something cheap;

"Lo que no cuesta, se hace fiesta."

This figuratively translates to;

The things that don't cost us anything are the things we disregard most.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:49 pm
Boji wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:34 pm
Are you purposely mincing my words? I said cur NOT cull. ::hmm::

Unchecked breeding - BY BACKYARD BREEDERS WHO FILL THE DEMAND FOR "CHEAP" DOGS.

- This selfish demand fuels the supply.
Want less mutts in shelters? Want more stable dogs? Or do you just want them to be cheap? Seems to me that is your only concern.
Waiting to hear what you propose to do with the millions of dogs currently held in shelters and rescues?
I just did. Let me highlight my concern.

Here's an old Spanish mantra that may help articulate what it sounds like to me when a person says they want something cheap;

"Lo que no cuesta, se hace fiesta."

This figuratively translates to;

The things that don't cost us anything are the things we disregard first and most.
Obviously you won't/can't answer a straight forward question.
No reason for me to continue this discussion.
Carry on.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Boji wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:56 pm Obviously you won't/can't answer a straight forward question.
No reason for me to continue this discussion.
Carry on.
Says the person who deflects everything. ::facepalm::

...but you are right about one thing, "No reason for me to continue this discussion."

As you can't articulate your positions. Debating is not easy for those who do it with their feelings.
Attachments
IMG-20190923-WA0020.jpg
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I was going to relate my story & experience I had with rescuing a GSD that was 4 years old and what it took to gain his trust. But now, I'm not so sure I want to get into a "debate" about whether I did things right, wrong or indifferent. ::facepalm::

LA...from reading this thread, I can tell you are very educated and experienced with handling dogs, training, knowledge of their temperaments, etc., etc. However, your aggressiveness toward relating to what others say or feel about a particular K-9 topic appears to have turned off several members.

I get what YOU'RE relating to and how YOU understand dogs, but for the most part, you're also responding to 90% of other's comments like they're some kind of 'dumbed down' dog owners and only you are qualified in making sure everyone becomes as smart & educated as you are about dogs. Thats how I interpret your comments anyway. The average dog owner on here doesn't want to debate dog behaviors or get into a long drawn out condescending conversations. This thread is about 'pets'...family pets. Okay...I understand some people asked you particular questions, and you were trying to answer them according to your expertise, but It's not about the knowledge you were presenting, it's the way you are delivering the message.

You don't need to verbalize in a condescending manner. People very much appreciate what you have to say and how you can educate them, but don't treat them like they're stupid, ignorant or uneducated just because they are not at your level of expertise.

I really do respect your knowledge about dogs. Please respect our lack of knowledge...and how we love our pets just as much as you do.

Off my rant...
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 pmHowever, your aggressiveness toward relating to what others say or feel about a particular K-9 topic appears to have turned off several members.

Thats how I interpret your comments anyway.
I agree with your interpretation.

Signed ~ a turned off member.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

jmh58 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:33 pm Squirt and Smokey planning escape!!
As cats are inclined to do!

This thread has been flirting with derailment (I know I contributed). Now, in an effort to both get brakes applied before derailment and redeem myself, I give you...
20191029_121408.jpg
Beijing and Bluegrass!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 pm I was going to relate my story & experience I had with rescuing a GSD that was 4 years old and what it took to gain his trust. But now, I'm not so sure I want to get into a "debate" about whether I did things right, wrong or indifferent. ::facepalm::

LA...from reading this thread, I can tell you are very educated and experienced with handling dogs, training, knowledge of their temperaments, etc., etc. However, your aggressiveness toward relating to what others say or feel about a particular K-9 topic appears to have turned off several members.

I get what YOU'RE relating to and how YOU understand dogs, but for the most part, you're also responding to 90% of other's comments like they're some kind of 'dumbed down' dog owners and only you are qualified in making sure everyone becomes as smart & educated as you are about dogs. Thats how I interpret your comments anyway. The average dog owner on here doesn't want to debate dog behaviors or get into a long drawn out condescending conversations. This thread is about 'pets'...family pets. Okay...I understand some people asked you particular questions, and you were trying to answer them according to your expertise, but It's not about the knowledge you were presenting, it's the way you are delivering the message.

You don't need to verbalize in a condescending manner. People very much appreciate what you have to say and how you can educate them, but don't treat them like they're stupid, ignorant or uneducated just because they are not at your level of expertise.

I really do respect your knowledge about dogs. Please respect our lack of knowledge...and how we love our pets just as much as you do.

Off my rant...
Thank you very much. I too was going to relate my experiences with rescue dogs. Not going to happen now.
You are missing out on some good stories!
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Dan, that photo is so sweet I do believe my blood glucose has gone up.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Boji, I hope in time you will change your mind and share some of your stories with us.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:33 pm

This thread has been flirting with derailment (I know I contributed). Now, in an effort to both get brakes applied before derailment and redeem myself, I give you...

20191029_121408.jpg

Beijing and Bluegrass!
::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu:: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 pm I was going to relate my story & experience I had with rescuing a GSD that was 4 years old and what it took to gain his trust. But now, I'm not so sure I want to get into a "debate" about whether I did things right, wrong or indifferent. ::facepalm::

Off my rant...
Thank you for the kind words you spared me. But 90% ? That's an absurd exaggeration. Please go back through the thread beginning from my first post and you're going to see how amicable I was with the people who kindly interacted with me. So that proves that I'm not the problem, I simply reciprocate.

But....There is a stench of bigotry in here.

Everyone who couldn't be kind and say something nice about any of my healthy, happy and wonderful dogs could've just stayed quiet. Instead they injected themselves into the conversation with a slew of passively-aggressive opinions regarding pit bulls, backyard breeders vs 'good' breeders, fad breeding, popular breeds, bad owners, diluted bloodlines, negligence, greed, reprehensible business, puppy mills, etc.

That turned me off.

They could've just said Ron, we don't fancy your breed but we sure do appreciate that you're setting a good example.

Even your statement that this thread is for 'pets' (specifically) "family pets" can be construed as being derogatory.

My dogs are my family.

As for rescuing individual animals, I do not view this as a reprehensible act but it is also not a solution to the problem. I'd love to hear about your GSD rescue.

*Me stating that it's difficult to debate with your feelings is true, it's an observation. We're entitled to our opinions but not our facts.

"One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't." - George Bernard Shaw
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:33 pm

20191029_121408.jpg

Beijing and Bluegrass!
Thank you Dan for being honest. ::handshake::

*Maybe the associate pastor could learn from your good example and remind himself that even his best intentions are only dirty filthy rags in the eyes of the Lord.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

"Even your statement that this thread is for 'pets' (specifically) "family pets" can be construed as being derogatory. "

LA (Ron),

I apologize for implying erroneously that your K-9 family was not your 'family pets'. That was NOT my intention towards you. I fully understand that; no matter what breed of pets we have, they're all family...some closer than even our own blood family. But that's quite another topic.

I did go back and review the context of many of the comments. I see and understand what got you riled up and what didn't set right with you. But there were other comments / questions you replied to that didn't deserve what was interpreted as a caustic reply. imho

I reiterate...there are many great stories on this thread about our pets, yours included. I DON'T take that away from you. I also apologize if I was too far out of line with my original dissertation, but I also wanted to make a point. Your point is well taken. ::handshake:: I hope we all can move on from this and enjoy one another's stories and provide insight and educational aspects, though most of us are novice's. I hope I'm making sense without unintentionally stirring the pot.

Best regards...

LJ

PS: And I will take the time to relate my GSD story...with photos.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:32 pm "Even your statement that this thread is for 'pets' (specifically) "family pets" can be construed as being derogatory. "

LA (Ron),

I apologize for implying erroneously that your K-9 family was not your 'family pets'. That was NOT my intention towards you. I fully understand that; no matter what breed of pets we have, they're all family...some closer than even our own blood family. But that's quite another topic.

I did go back and review the context of many of the comments. I see and understand what got you riled up and what didn't set right with you. But there were other comments / questions you replied to that didn't deserve what was interpreted as a caustic reply. imho

I reiterate...there are many great stories on this thread about our pets, yours included. I DON'T take that away from you. I also apologize if I was too far out of line with my original dissertation, but I also wanted to make a point. Your point is well taken. ::handshake:: I hope we all can move on from this and enjoy one another's stories and provide insight and educational aspects, though most of us are novice's. I hope I'm making sense without unintentionally stirring the pot.

Best regards...

LJ

PS: And I will take the time to relate my GSD story...with photos.
No problems here, thanks! ::handshake::
No reason why we can't all be friends. 🇺🇸
Attachments
Screenshot_20200824-083539~2.png
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Here’s Jackson and Simon hanging out with Pepper the squirrel dog.
B7DFBE37-ADD5-4316-9653-CCF4248ABCA7.jpeg
4D42653F-2E46-4F29-8F32-6DEDFD509CF4.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice pup, Colonel!

Even tho she's 3 years old, she'll aways be daddy's Kitten.
Attachments
IMG_20210614_184350634.jpg
IMG_20210614_184412821.jpg
IMG_20210614_184306718.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:07 am Even tho she's 3 years old, she'll aways be daddy's Kitten.
What a wonderful cat. I like her little white bib!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 am
1967redrider wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:07 am Even tho she's 3 years old, she'll aways be daddy's Kitten.
What a wonderful cat. I like her little white bib!

That's the only white on her. Her mother has a white bowtie and a white belly. Both are very sweet but Kitten is very shy.
Attachments
IMG_20210614_184446917.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:56 am Here’s Jackson and Simon hanging out with Pepper the squirrel dog.

B7DFBE37-ADD5-4316-9653-CCF4248ABCA7.jpeg4D42653F-2E46-4F29-8F32-6DEDFD509CF4.jpeg
Pepper has some nice thick leg bones. ::tu::
I noticed she has rear dew claws, is this standard in this breed? It pops up in the APBT from time to time but we amputate them in an effort to avoid injuries.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:50 pm [quote=Colonel26 post_id=929754 time=<a href="tel:1623722203">1623722203</a> user_id=14441]
Here’s Jackson and Simon hanging out with Pepper the squirrel dog.

B7DFBE37-ADD5-4316-9653-CCF4248ABCA7.jpeg4D42653F-2E46-4F29-8F32-6DEDFD509CF4.jpeg
Pepper has some nice thick leg bones. ::tu::
I noticed she has rear dew claws, is this standard in this breed? It pops up in the APBT from time to time but we amputate them in an effort to avoid injuries.
[/quote]

Yes, they’re common. Here’s the breed standard. I like to be close to it, although I’ll take a dog that looks like a mess that’ll hunt verses a bench dog that won’t.
ECD4E39B-71A2-49F6-8372-FA932838C0F8.jpeg
AC3EC601-3796-457C-9DCA-B9CD7BE19EF6.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:59 pm Yes, they’re common. Here’s the breed standard. I like to be close to it, although I’ll take a dog that looks like a mess that’ll hunt verses a bench dog that won’t.
Thanks for sharing, I read it through. 🤓
Form follows function.

How crazy that UKC will disqualify a dog for an under/over-bite. In the ADBA it's worth up to 5 points of the 25 possible points scored of the head.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:23 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:59 pm Yes, they’re common. Here’s the breed standard. I like to be close to it, although I’ll take a dog that looks like a mess that’ll hunt verses a bench dog that won’t.
Thanks for sharing, I read it through. 🤓
Form follows function.

How crazy that UKC will disqualify a dog for an under/over-bite. In the ADBA it's worth up to 5 points of the 25 possible points scored of the head.
It could make a difference catching and holding game.
Robert E. Lee
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm It could make a difference catching and holding game.
A scissor bite is always preferred but I don't mind it being slightly under so long as you can't fit a roll of quarters between them.
My boy Micky is slightly undershot. His reaction when I told him UKC don't consider him a bulldog if he doesn't have a perfect scissor bite. 😂
Attachments
20200726_195113_HDR~2.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 am
Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm It could make a difference catching and holding game.
A scissor bite is always preferred but I don't mind it being slightly under so long as you can't fit a roll of quarters between them.
My boy Micky is slightly undershot. His reaction when I told him UKC don't consider him a bulldog if he doesn't have a perfect scissor bite. 😂
I have no idea what the breed standard is for bulldogs. It may be acceptable in the UKC as well. Those were just for black mouth curs.

He’s a good looking boy!
Robert E. Lee
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:19 am I have no idea what the breed standard is for bulldogs. It may be acceptable in the UKC as well. Those were just for black mouth curs.

He’s a good looking boy!
Thanks Colonel! I was just being funny with that pic. UKC don't uphold their written Standard for the APBT that's why theirs end up looking more like American Bullies instead.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”