SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Loose Arrow

Re: SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

Post by Loose Arrow »

TPK wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:44 am Interesting Information LA! ::hmm:: Never heard any of those terms before. Just curious, are there also dogs that are completely "NA" or showing totally None Aggressive behavior in all three of the listed points? ::shrug:: I would guess the answer is yes. ::shrug:: If so, are these dogs good for shows or is a certain amount of aggressiv behavior wished for and expected by the judges? ::shrug::
A dog can be any combination of the three including none, the important one for my breed is human aggression. It can exhibit D.A. but is not encouraged to bring it about and this behavior is frowned upon. D.A. is a common trait of the APBT and responsible owners should expect them to be fired up around other dogs but the key is its handler, they must be in control. A calm and confident looking dog usually always shows best.
I have another question for ya LA. It's a stupid question, stupid post but I can live with it. :lol:

This is my best buddy Jake. I Love this little guy like a best friend. He is supposedly a mix between a Jack Russel Terrier & a Boston Terrier but I didn't see either of the parents so who really knows. ::shrug:: When we picked him up he was running around a yard with a male Beagle and 5-6 other puppies that looked like they could be Jack Russel Terriers.

Anyways, I like his size & I especially like how he looks. The shape of his head and his overall body form. I always think and say he looks like a mini American Pit Bull which is exactly why I picked him out of the litter he was running around with. My first thought when I saw him was, "Ahh COOL! He looks like a little Pit Bull!" ::super_happy:: I'm pretty sure he has Zero American Pit Bull blood lines but I like to believe that he has a slight resemblance to one. I'm sure you can judge this statement better than I can so what do you think? Do you see any resemblance? ::shrug:: He is very P.A. (Plastic Agressive) if that helps any. :lol:

Thanks for your opinion of how close or how far off my Buddy looks like an American Pit Bull. Appreciate it! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
A dog's looks are never the best indicators of any breed percentages and this should never weigh much into their identity. In Jake's case, take a look at Patterdale Terriers to see the if aptitudes of this breed reminds you of yours. They are very hard working dogs and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

In order for a breed to become recognized as a genuine specimen representative of its type it takes much repetition to establish but it only takes one generation to foul it up. I could go into this but the important thing is to remember pure-bred animals and 'regular' dogs are all just dogs with different aptitudes. Some are born athletes, working dogs, protective defenders, while others are best on the couch. Understanding your dog as an individual and accommodating for its own attitude responsibly is the key.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Loose Arrow wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:23 pm
TPK wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:44 am Interesting Information LA! ::hmm:: Never heard any of those terms before. Just curious, are there also dogs that are completely "NA" or showing totally None Aggressive behavior in all three of the listed points? ::shrug:: I would guess the answer is yes. ::shrug:: If so, are these dogs good for shows or is a certain amount of aggressiv behavior wished for and expected by the judges? ::shrug::
A dog can be any combination of the three including none, the important one for my breed is human aggression. It can exhibit D.A. but is not encouraged to bring it about and this behavior is frowned upon. D.A. is a common trait of the APBT and responsible owners should expect them to be fired up around other dogs but the key is its handler, they must be in control. A calm and confident looking dog usually always shows best.
I have another question for ya LA. It's a stupid question, stupid post but I can live with it. :lol:

This is my best buddy Jake. I Love this little guy like a best friend. He is supposedly a mix between a Jack Russel Terrier & a Boston Terrier but I didn't see either of the parents so who really knows. ::shrug:: When we picked him up he was running around a yard with a male Beagle and 5-6 other puppies that looked like they could be Jack Russel Terriers.

Anyways, I like his size & I especially like how he looks. The shape of his head and his overall body form. I always think and say he looks like a mini American Pit Bull which is exactly why I picked him out of the litter he was running around with. My first thought when I saw him was, "Ahh COOL! He looks like a little Pit Bull!" ::super_happy:: I'm pretty sure he has Zero American Pit Bull blood lines but I like to believe that he has a slight resemblance to one. I'm sure you can judge this statement better than I can so what do you think? Do you see any resemblance? ::shrug:: He is very P.A. (Plastic Agressive) if that helps any. :lol:

Thanks for your opinion of how close or how far off my Buddy looks like an American Pit Bull. Appreciate it! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
A dog's looks are never the best indicators of any breed percentages and this should never weigh much into their identity. In Jake's case, take a look at Patterdale Terriers to see the if aptitudes of this breed reminds you of yours. They are very hard working dogs and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

In order for a breed to become recognized as a genuine specimen representative of its type it takes much repetition to establish but it only takes one generation to foul it up. I could go into this but the important thing is to remember pure-bred animals and 'regular' dogs are all just dogs with different aptitudes. Some are born athletes, working dogs, protective defenders, while others are best on the couch. Understanding your dog as an individual and accommodating for its own attitude responsibly is the key.
Thanks for your time LA! ::handshake:: Looking at those Patterdale Terriers I ran across Plummer Terriers. Both are very cool breeds that I wouldn't mind having but probably never will due to the prices of pure breed dogs. Other breeds I would like to have include the Boston Terrier, Ridge-Backs and French Bulldogs. ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good info there LA. Thanks.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

TPK wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:16 pm
Thanks for your time LA! ::handshake:: Looking at those Patterdale Terriers I ran across Plummer Terriers. Both are very cool breeds that I wouldn't mind having but probably never will due to the prices of pure breed dogs. Other breeds I would like to have include the Boston Terrier, Ridge-Backs and French Bulldogs. ::tu::
Quick Steel wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:21 pm Good info there LA. Thanks.
::tu:: Not a problem. I'm no expert but I'm happy to share my experience. ::handshake::
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Our Fergus is a Juvenile Terror now! He chews up everything
Attachments
330F54B2-AD4D-4405-97A0-9D96204EFFDE.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Beautiful dog Larry.

I took this one yesterday while working on taking pictures of knives and listing them for sale. Looks like my pack finds my hobby boring. My golden is always in my office whenever I go in there. The other two don’t usually come in and camp like this.
Attachments
03EB11F1-7275-458B-80DE-BE7CB6940010.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Nice shot Mark. Canines in repose surrounded by GECs
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Awesome dogs, Larry and Mark. I sure am glad my Little Dudette isn't much of a chewer.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

jlw257 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 pm Our Fergus is a Juvenile Terror now! He chews up everything
LOL, that’s a good one,Juvy terror . He’s sure a cute little Terror !
Nice posts and pics here , you all got some special pets ::tu::
JP
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Any chance Colby Jim gets and he goes straight for the couch... ::facepalm::
Attachments
20210525_214831~2.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Your handsome friend Colby has excellent coloration. His preference for your couch is smart.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:31 pm Your handsome friend Colby Jim has excellent coloration. His preference for your couch is smart.
...in more ways than one because once he's on he won't give up the spot without bribing him. 😁
Attachments
PhotoGrid_1578535538222.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Had a Great Dane. I can attest that they love sitting on one's lap. But if a human isn't around, no problem, they will happily use the couch.
They will also happily join one in bed. Best to keep the bed off limits.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

TPK wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:54 am
Loose Arrow wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:19 pm
TPK wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:54 pm Cool Dogs LA! ::tu:: ::nod::
👍 Thanks!

Quick Steel wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:55 pm LA, would you describe your dogs as good natured?
Yes sir, all of them. That's in their Standard.

Of the three types of dog behaviors:

H.A. (Human Aggressive - Man-Biter),
A.A. (Animal Aggressive - Prey Driven) &
D.A. (Dog Aggressive - aggressive towards some, if not all other dogs)

H.A. dogs are not allowed in the A.D.B.A.

*If a dog being shown can not be approached by the Judge and shown without concern, it will be banned and stripped of all its titles earned along with further scrutinization of its offspring. HA dogs are serious concerns to breed stewards because they can affect the posterity of the breed.
HA exists and is acceptable in many breeds, however it is not for the true American Pit Bull Terrier. I start showing my dogs as puppies as often as possible. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Interesting Information LA! ::hmm:: Never heard any of those terms before. Just curious, are there also dogs that are completely "NA" or showing tataly None Aggressiv behavior in all three of the listed points? ::shrug:: I would guess the answer is yes. ::shrug:: If so, are these dogs good for shows or is a certain amount of aggressiv behavior wished for and expected by the judges? ::shrug:

I added another question for ya in the post below this one. Thanks! ::handshake::
Tom, I think LA did a great job explaining all of this, but I can add a little bit of my experience that I think will help.

In my hunting dogs AA (prey drive) is a great thing, else they wouldn’t hunt but HA can’t be tolerated.

In my herding dogs AA (prey drive) can be a good thing to as some of the things they have to do aren’t that different from a hunting dog searching out the game, just manifested in different ways. Herding dogs also tend to be very territorial and protective when it comes to strangers, I guess you could call it a very mild HA/DA, again it’s a somewhat good thing in mild doses because they protect their stock from predators both two legged and four legged.

In my Great Pyrenees guardian dogs that run with the goats they have ZERO prey drive and that’s a good thing, else they would be tempted to kill the stock they are guarding. But they do have AA as they will not permit strange animals in the field with their stock, like the old grey fox that used to live in my fence row who is no more. Likewise if they perceive you to be a threat to their stock, you won’t be welcome either.

It’s amazing to me how these traits have been bred into and out of the various breeds over the years to meet our needs in these wonderful creatures.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TPK

Post by TPK »

Cool! Thanks for the insight! ::handshake:: You guys keep explaining things to me, I might screw up & learn something. ::paranoid:: :lol: Thanks Wade! ::handshake:: ::tu:: :D

TPK

Post by TPK »

Great looking dogs everybody! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:34 pm
Tom, I think LA did a great job explaining all of this, but I can add a little bit of my experience that I think will help.

In my hunting dogs AA (prey drive) is a great thing, else they wouldn’t hunt but HA can’t be tolerated.

In my herding dogs AA (prey drive) can be a good thing to as some of the things they have to do aren’t that different from a hunting dog searching out the game, just manifested in different ways. Herding dogs also tend to be very territorial and protective when it comes to strangers, I guess you could call it a very mild HA/DA, again it’s a somewhat good thing in mild doses because they protect their stock from predators both two legged and four legged.

In my Great Pyrenees guardian dogs that run with the goats they have ZERO prey drive and that’s a good thing, else they would be tempted to kill the stock they are guarding. But they do have AA as they will not permit strange animals in the field with their stock, like the old grey fox that used to live in my fence row who is no more. Likewise if they perceive you to be a threat to their stock, you won’t be welcome either.

It’s amazing to me how these traits have been bred into and out of the various breeds over the years to meet our needs in these wonderful creatures.
::clapping::
What he said ☝. ::tu::
Another example of a working-dog is the boar hunter's catch-dog, which requires the utmost courage. The APBT possesses this quality and some excel as a catch-dogs but since D.A. is common, amongst their breed, consideration must be taken that the catch-dog don't ignore the hog and prefer to catch any of the other dogs on the team instead. *This is why this dog is usually let out last only after the boar has been cornered by the bay dogs. ::facepalm::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

This old girl just came to live with us today. This is pepper a 6 year old Landers bred Yellow Black Mouth Cur.

She trees squirrel, coon, possum, and Bob cat. We’re looking forward to squirrel hunting with her this fall.
E4AAA047-D101-4F6D-B14C-20C2E3D22A8A.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 pm She trees squirrel, coon, possum, and Bob cat.
She trees bobcat? That's awesome!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:56 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 pm She trees squirrel, coon, possum, and Bob cat.
She trees bobcat? That's awesome!
Let me qualify that. I have no doubt she will. My friend I got her off of said he had a bobcat coming around his chickens. The way he found out was Pepper was barking her head off and he went down to her and she’d pulled her dog house halfway through the field trying to get to the bobcat.

But I’ve not seen her actually tree one yet. I’m hoping to this year though.
Robert E. Lee
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 pm This old girl just came to live with us today. This is pepper a 6 year old Landers bred Yellow Black Mouth Cur.

She trees squirrel, coon, possum, and Bob cat. We’re looking forward to squirrel hunting with her this fall.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing a picture of her. ::tu::
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Nice looking Black Mouth me and my wife had a red Landers he got to where we were scared he was gonna bite someone he was so protective of her we didn't teach him to do it he was just that devoted to her we called him Ripper & he lived up to that name...he would tree anything that would climb & could wind a cat two city blocks away in a snow storm he would be sleeping and get up barking go to the front window and tree bark till you make him shut up..he would also tell you when the mailman was on our street over 100 yards away You'll have fun come October mine would tree squirel on a dead run as fast as you could shoot them you'd limit out in half an hour
Never Doubt Your Dawg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

PigStikr wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:09 pm Nice looking Black Mouth me and my wife had a red Landers he got to where we were scared he was gonna bite someone he was so protective of her we didn't teach him to do it he was just that devoted to her we called him Ripper & he lived up to that name...he would tree anything that would climb & could wind a cat two city blocks away in a snow storm he would be sleeping and get up barking go to the front window and tree bark till you make him shut up..he would also tell you when the mailman was on our street over 100 yards away You'll have fun come October mine would tree squirel on a dead run as fast as you could shoot them you'd limit out in half an hour
I enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing. ::tu::
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Nothing like a 120 lb dog that loves kids. Tuukka taking care of Brogan.
Bill
Attachments
Screenshot_20210530-180428_Snapchat.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 pm This old girl just came to live with us today. This is pepper a 6 year old Landers bred Yellow Black Mouth Cur.

Great looking hound. ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”