Pictures of Miscellaneous Stuff & Things

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jmh58

Re: Pictures of Miscellaneous Stuff & Things

Post by jmh58 »

KOOL pics Phil !!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Quick Steel wrote:At one time, in the 90s, I got into coin collecting. I quickly discovered that I was drawn to the Peace dollar. There was, imho, what I would describe as certain softness about it. Even the Eagle had its wings folded. Lady Liberty's expression is far more natural than on other coins. Refined but nothing strident about her. Compare with the Morgan to see what I am talking about. Although I had greater amounts of other coins, the Peace dollar was my favorite by far.

Jerry, congratulations on being connected to such a talent.
Thanks for the kind words Garry. Seeing the much appreciated shared other photos brought me back a bit. Thanks Phil and Ken!

He designed the coin as a "likeness" of Aunt Teresa as we called her. She was a beautiful young Italian gal but from what I have heard/ read, maybe why it appears "softer" as you stated. Was able to visit with her daughter in NY in 2011 with my Dad. Interesting visit.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

To pick up a Peace dollar and be able to say, 'That is my aunt Teresa." has got to be about the coolest thing in the world. :)
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Quick Steel wrote:To pick up a Peace dollar and be able to say, 'That is my aunt Teresa." has got to be about the coolest thing in the world. :)
Thanks for the kind words Garry.

Yes, very cool. Amazing legacy of my related Italian immigrants of old. The whole Ellis Island experience for my ancestors that immigrated many years ago to settle in NY. Most of my surviving relatives are still there.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1030317 (2).JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Rolled bales done put high school kids right out of a job. You'd play hell buckin' those buggers.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Quick Steel wrote:P1030317 (2).JPG
I heard the cows were protesting over those bales.
Something about not getting a square meal???
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Steve Warden wrote:
I heard the cows were protesting over those bales.
Something about not getting a square meal???
::rotflol:: ::clapping::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Rolled bales done put high school kids right out of a job. You'd play hell buckin' those buggers.
$4.00 an hour was what I remember being paid in the early 90’s for hauling hay. You’d be hard pressed to find a high school
Boy now who’d do it for $10 in these parts. And if you could find him it’d be a sight watching him try to throw those square bales up once they got over head high.

My boys 13&12, got a real small taste of it the other day, only 80 bales. They think round bales are the best thing ever now. Lol
Before, all smiles.
Before, all smiles.
After, about dead.
After, about dead.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

$4.00 an hour, you were spoilt. I did it in the sixties for a couple of sandwiches at lunch break. But then again, i am stupid!!! ::dang::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Looks like a rural scene over here. One of THE great smells, is fresh cut hay in Spring Time. ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm all for the Americans with Disabilities Act, and I totally support providing jobs for the handicapped. But, when I saw this on the back of a van today, I felt perhaps it had gone just a bit too far. I mean seriously...how can a blind man drive a van? I thought that maybe it was some kind of pilot program using self-driving vehicles or something.
P6200009.JPG
And then I raised my eyes and read the printing on the top half of the van and it all made sense. ::nod::
P6200008.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very witty Q. :lol: :lol:
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I like that Q, :lol: but I suspect with the emergence of self driving cars it won't be long before the blind are driving. (And if it works, I guess that it will be a good thing. )
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Those square bale pics bring back a lot of memories. Not all of them good. :mrgreen:

Back in the late 60s, my dad raised alfalfa hay. My best friend and I got paid 10¢ a bale in the barn or 5¢ each. Putting 25 to 30 bales per pick-up load, we ended up getting about $1.25 to $1.50 @ per load. Candy bars and sodas were both running around 10¢ @. Every time we threw a bale on the truck, one of would say "There's a Baby Ruth" or "There's a Butterfinger" or "There's a Coke".

The yield was about 1000 bales 1st cutting in the spring and 650 for the second cutting in the fall. Not a lot of money, but more than enough to satisfy a coupe of dumb teenagers.

And since this is a knife forum, here's a little cutlery related cartoon.

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Those square bale pics bring back a lot of memories. Not all of them good. :mrgreen:

Back in the late 60s, my dad raised alfalfa hay. My best friend and I got paid 10¢ a bale in the barn or 5¢ each. Putting 25 to 30 bales per pick-up load, we ended up getting about $1.25 to $1.50 @ per load. Candy bars and sodas were both running around 10¢ @. Every time we threw a bale on the truck, one of would say "There's a Baby Ruth" or "There's a Butterfinger" or "There's a Coke".

The yield was about 1000 bales 1st cutting in the spring and 650 for the second cutting in the fall. Not a lot of money, but more than enough to satisfy a coupe of dumb teenagers.

And since this is a knife forum, here's a little cutlery related cartoon.

Love that cartoon! Lol
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Funny cartoon zz!

But if that don’t wake you up, this will! ::woot::
3BDFE5EC-D0E7-41E5-B599-4330C042A9A0.jpeg
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Oh Hell No. That would result in a few bullet holes in the wall and door and windows.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Free pet! Ratsnake? I’d give him a good home! ::nod::
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ann, how manageable is an adult rat snake?

I assume it's better to get them when they are young.

Reptiles exist almost entirely on ingrained instinct, so can they ever be fully domesticated?

Asking for a friend.....

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ll be interested to see Ann’s answer. I don’t keep exotic pets so have no experience to draw from. The one in the picture has a home, right here on the ranch. After photographing it (thought it was interesting where it was) I knocked it down off the windows (note in the picture its tail is up on the frame of the window on the left). Then with the broom on its neck I grabbed it behind its head, picked it up and turned it loose in the pasture. One problem I can see with keeping one as a pet is when excited they can emit a horrible odor. It’s one of their defense mechanisms. They also will strike at you and bite sometimes when threatened (no fangs, not poisonous). I suppose if they got accustomed to being handled those behaviors would stop. ::hmm::

There’s at least one more, a bigger one that I saw behind the air conditioner in the flower bed next to the house a couple of weeks ago. They’re beneficial for killing mice and rats, and other snakes (copperheads ::woot:: ). The only Rat Snake I ever killed was one found inside one of the Bluebird houses. It had already eaten the momma bird and was sitting there in the box, coiled up with the helpless babies in the nest. I killed it and cut it open but the mother bird was dead.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The only rat snakes (aka chicken snakes) I kill are the ones that have figured out how to get in the house. Once they have found a way in, they will just slither right back in when you chuck them out the door.

On a side note - many snakes (and mice) get into houses by going in through the water heater drain pan drain pipe. Plumbers usually hook up the drain line to the drain pan and just run the pipe out through the wall or down through the floor in a pier and beam house. The mice will crawl up inside the pipe. Then the snakes will follow.

I found this out the hard way. I kept looking for where mice were getting in. I would find and patch one hole only to catch another mouse in a trap. Then one time I happened to look in a water heater closet for something. I looked down and saw a rat snake partially curled around the water heater with about 6 inches of its tail still down the drain pipe.

The fix is simple - take a 2" x 2" square of screen wire and shove it up the end of the drain pipe. Mice, bugs and snakes can't get in, but when you need to drain the water heater, the water flows right through the screen wire.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Our back porch may have a poltergeist! A couple of days ago, the snake. Today it’s spiders! ::woot::
0B42374B-396A-4895-BE9F-92A2B2975434.jpeg
Anyone know a good exorcist? :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

The only wild snakes I’ve handled were Garters and they settle right down after the first day.
The rest have all been captive bred. It depends more on the individual snake. I remember a group of donated boas, about six footers. Most were fine, one was a determined biter. No reason, just cranky. We had a couple of baby cobras that were just insane. They would track you if you walked past their enclosure and bat at the glass open mouthed. Then there were the full grown diamondback and Gaboon Vipers that would probably have just lain there if the glass suddenly evaporated.
The biggest snake I’ve helped to handle was a 17’ Rock Python and he was very easy going. Good thing, too. It took five of us to hold him up for a photo! ::woot::
Rat snakes are fairly common in the pet trade. I had a Leucitic Texas Rat snake myself. They are white with black eyes. He was pretty cool.
Great little pest control workers!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Our back porch may have a poltergeist! A couple of days ago, the snake. Today it’s spiders! ::woot::

Anyone know a good exorcist? :lol:

Ken
According to Google, "Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and use it to directly spray any spiders you see. Vinegar contains acetic acid which burns the spider upon contact. Vacuum. To kill one or just a few spiders efficiently, use a vacuum cleaner."
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”