Cool Old Tools

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cool Old Tools

Post by Unk »

Somebody could make that in a nice rig for shaping knives.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Oledadsknives wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:54 am I forgot this one so I’ll add I to because it is a cool old tool. Belonged to my dad. Looking to sell it also. I have a 2x 72 I use in the shop.
D4EB9992-CA08-4FE1-B1F4-D6E1D0A9518F.jpegCAA4BEEC-5BDD-4FDA-8F61-CB2B7822AC91.jpeg4C6D5D40-4BDF-40FF-B2FC-35EEC8783A0F.jpeg
This one is a 1x42 that I’m selling!
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Funny, I've had this bench grinder since I inherited it when my dad passed away in 1967, I was 5 but I recall it was already old then too.
It was just one of a thousand tools I remember of his.
I rarely used it over the years, but it's always been reliable to start up and get the job done when called on. dangerous frayed wires and all.
That is until just last month when it just wouldn't start. I have plans for that though...

What gets me is that I've cherished it for what it is, a grimy old and sentimental grinder, but it took this post for me to ever even look at the tags in any detail to figure out what exactly it is.

The tags are pretty far gone, I'll have to get the visor on to see more, but I can make out that its a Sears Roebuck 1725 RPM with a "thermomatic motor" - sweet - always wanted one of those ! LoL

Might be older than I think, assuming thats a capacitor hung at the top there.
I'm gonna get to finding out !!

So anyway, thanks for the nudge after only 56 years.
dadsGrinder1.JPG
dadsGrinder2.JPG
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

SwedgeHead wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:41 pm Funny, I've had this bench grinder since I inherited it when my dad passed away in 1967, I was 5 but I recall it was already old then too.
It was just one of a thousand tools I remember of his.
I rarely used it over the years, but it's always been reliable to start up and get the job done when called on. dangerous frayed wires and all.
That is until just last month when it just wouldn't start. I have plans for that though...

What gets me is that I've cherished it for what it is, a grimy old and sentimental grinder, but it took this post for me to ever even look at the tags in any detail to figure out what exactly it is.

The tags are pretty far gone, I'll have to get the visor on to see more, but I can make out that its a Sears Roebuck 1725 RPM with a "thermomatic motor" - sweet - always wanted one of those ! LoL

Might be older than I think, assuming thats a capacitor hung at the top there.
I'm gonna get to finding out !!

So anyway, thanks for the nudge after only 56 years.
dadsGrinder1.JPG
dadsGrinder2.JPG
Update: Even under 30-45x magnification I was having a hard time making out the tag info, but just a shot of oil and things started magically appearing.
Now I know its a Hercules A.C. Stoker motor.. 1/6hp, model 551-1 , 3.1 amp, 60 cycle, 1725 rpm, blah blah blah,Thermomatic, through Sears Roebuck.
But still, i'm just finding noting on A.C. Stoker to date this thing.

There's a cool old guy with a motor repair shop in downtown, going to take it to him for servicing and see what he has to say. Get this thing back in action ! Still If any of you knows of AC Stoker, feel free to chime in.
ACstoker.JPG
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Nice old grinder/buffer Swedge, seems like they don’t make em like that anymore.
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Oledadsknives wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:11 pm Nice old grinder/buffer Swedge, seems like they don’t make em like that anymore.
Thanks Jimbo.
I am having a heck of a time finding anything on this lil dude.
I think it's a Hercules brand now. And I'm not sure if Stoker is a name or a type.
And I'm guessing the A.C. and Motor on either side of STOKER just means its an AC Motor. ::shrug::
Still, I got nothing, which is making it kind of fun.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That appears to be a motor start capacitor. Have one on an old 1960s vintage electric motor on an air compressor. If you can make out the label on it you can probably buy a replacement capacitor, but first I’d test it to be sure it’s bad. I thought mine had gone out but it turned out I just needed to clean the contacts in the switch - I re-wired it also while I was at it. YouTube has some useful videos on how to test those capacitors. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

The model number (551-1) seems to line up with these Leland part numbers:

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... 2025&tab=4

Sears started using the "Craftsman" brand in 1927, so it might possibly pre-date that. It would be interesting to know if the motor started life as a grinder, or if it was re-purposed after an appliance died. The grinder me and my dad used when I was growing up was a Dayton motor he took out of an old washing machine and put an arbor on. I still have it and it still runs great.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Unk wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:54 am The model number (551-1) seems to line up with these Leland part numbers:

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... 2025&tab=4

Sears started using the "Craftsman" brand in 1927, so it might possibly pre-date that. It would be interesting to know if the motor started life as a grinder, or if it was re-purposed after an appliance died. The grinder me and my dad used when I was growing up was a Dayton motor he took out of an old washing machine and put an arbor on. I still have it and it still runs great.
Thanks guys, after so many years it's good to be spending some time on this.
I was able to track it back to Leland with the 551 model info too and coincidentally enough, just came from that same page you linked Mike (so thank you and nice job on that !) So it's a Leland capacitor start motor (thinking a type KL), and "Stoker" is just a use case (an A.C. motor used as a stoker - its listed as a type in the early Leland catalogs).
I'd say mid 1950's but there are variables when you tack on Sears Roebuck and Hercules (instead of craftman)
And you may well be right that it could have begun life as something else, I could see that , good call - and may be where "Hercules" leads me next.
It ran super smooth, and I'm guessing it's just the capacitor too (experience there with my pool pumps), I'll check that out along with a new cord and bet she's good to go, but may still get it cleaned up and inspected for good measure and a long life.
Thought I was coming back with an update and you guys beat me to it - I appreciate your time and curiosity!

OH, this just in - gets easier when you know what you're looking for ::doh::
Sears and Hercules -- that goes WAY back. So I'll go even further into the Leland archives now. Leland started in 1921 and Sears Hercules could even predate that... I dont think this one is THAT old, but it will be fun finding out.
A "Stoker" motor on a Hercules heating system might just make sense.
Attachments
Sears_Hercules.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I found this heavily pitted gimlet today and cleaning it up I discovered it was Henry Boker. Germany. 5 3/8".

It will set on a bookshelf. It is a Cool Old Tool.

Dimitri has a thread that correlates with other objects with knife stamps on them but I don't know how to find it.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
7ED141DA-ED01-49FA-AD69-0F1B80B1ACB7.jpeg
663F615F-FC29-4B6C-BB84-004BA9BF8C43.jpeg
4D919948-D168-42AA-B6E8-499EB35ACBA4.jpeg
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

AAPK Janitor
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Very cool old bit, Joe.
Mike

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

FRJ wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:08 am I found this heavily pitted gimlet today and cleaning it up I discovered it was Henry Boker. Germany. 5 3/8".

It will set on a bookshelf. It is a Cool Old Tool.

Dimitri has a thread that correlates with other objects with knife stamps on them but I don't know how to find it.

Thanks for looking.
Nice! I would like to know the age of it... ::hmm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Unk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:09 am Nice Jack, Cody. And that's a beautiful set of drawing instruments, FRJ.

The wife and I hit an estate sale this morning.
What a steal! I have a few Bridgeport steel handled hatchets, they are great and $4.00 is "Gonga" deal ::tu:: ::tu::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Some old tools I picked up. I can't figure out what the square hammer looking tool is for and if it rally is a hammer ::shrug::
Attachments
DSCF1760.JPG
DSCF1761.JPG
DSCF1762.JPG
DSCF1759.JPG

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dimitri, for the link. I posted the gimlet there also.

Thank you Mike. ::tu::

Thank you GSPTOPDOG, it would be interesting to know when Boker was making tools in Germany. My research assets and skills are limited.

A great bunch of tools you have shown in your post. A wild guess: the square hammer looks like a railroad tool. Driving spikes??
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Industrial strength golf club or croquet mallet. 🤭
::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Topdog, that's a nice haul of old tools! I think that offset hammer may be called a doghead hammer, used by blacksmiths.
Mike

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I think this is a dogs head but I don't use it so I don't know for sure.
Attachments
F415AA1C-FDB9-4B9D-BC10-678EC8617440.jpeg
7618C671-1656-4FF9-9EE2-3DA3C63F897D.jpeg
Joe
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:01 am
Unk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:09 am
What a steal! I have a few Bridgeport steel handled hatchets, they are great and $4.00 is "Gonga" deal ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Topdog. I cleaned it a little, and it found a place on the wall in my shop.
Attachments
20230413_110452.jpg
20230413_112220.jpg
Mike

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looking good, Unk. ::nod::👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Unk wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:01 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:01 am
Unk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:09 am
Thanks Topdog. I cleaned it a little, and it found a place on the wall in my shop.
Looks nice job of organizing all them there tools Unk! ::handshake:: .... My method is a little simpler; I start by taking my shovels, axes, rakes, clippers etc...etc.. and piling them up in the back of my garage, then I continually pile more stuff on top of that, such as tarps, Rubbermaid boxes, old shoes, old licenses plates, bags of empty aluminum cans for recycling etc...

I then work my way back to the front of garage until I am only able to close the garage door by straining and grunting until my back goes into spasms and almost causing a cerebral aneurism. Then when I need a tool, I must 1st locate a pry bar to force open the garage door .... :x except I have typically forgotten that I left the pry bar at the bottom of the tool pile at the back of the grage... ::dang:: ... ::facepalm::

Also nice Fiskers machete I see there, they are the best! ::tu::

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Not familiar with a "dog's head"? What's it for? J.O'.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks guys. Topdog, I used your same method of storing tools for most of my life. :lol: The previous owner of the shop created the "tool wall", so I just utilized what he created. He did a good job! I made the gun rack in High School wood shop, sometime in the late 1970s. I have my old BB and pellet guns on it. My daughter made the "Lonesome Dove" sign for me. The buck saw, the hay hook, and the hand fuel barrel pump (next to the machete) and the huge sledge hammer on the floor all came from my Great-Grandfathers stuff.
Mike

catspa

Post by catspa »

Joe, I had a dog once whose head looked just like that! Well, except he had eyes and a nose. And ears. And fur. And… y’know, come to think about it, he looked all the way different. Never mind.

A dogs head hammer is a blacksmithing hammer used for smoothing thin, flat contours that an angled blow would mar. Saw and knife blades come to mind, or the blade end of a lath hatchet.

Parker

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”