Cool Old Tools

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cool Old Tools

Post by 1967redrider »

Excellent work, Reverend. I've "played golf" with one of those on many occasions. Hard but effective work.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Rev,
When I was a kid my dad called that the “idiot stick”. When we were young and got in trouble we got handed that and told to walk the electric fence lines as punishment.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Rev,

That's a cool old tool. I don't own one because then I'd have to use it! :lol:
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Well, I bought another plane at an estate sale. I promise I'm not a collector! :lol:

This one is a Miller Falls 14C. The "C" stands for corrugated sole. They wanted $50 for it, but I waited until after the sale when everything was 75% off, hoping it would still be there. I picked it up for $12.50. A little Scotchbrite, oil and wax and it was looking pretty spiffy. Then I sharpened the iron until it was popping hairs. This a type 3, made 1942 to 1948. It does not have any brass or rosewood on it due to the war, similar to the Stanley wartime planes. I'm very happy with this one - it's every bit the equal of my Stanley Baileys, if not better.
Attachments
Miller Falls - Before.jpg
20221004_175007.jpg
20221004_175200.jpg
20221004_175134.jpg
20221005_161049.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:31 am Well, I bought another plane at an estate sale. I promise I'm not a collector! :lol:

This one is a Miller Falls 14C. The "C" stands for corrugated sole. They wanted $50 for it, but I waited until after the sale when everything was 75% off, hoping it would still be there. I picked it up for $12.50. A little Scotchbrite, oil and wax and it was looking pretty spiffy. Then I sharpened the iron until it was popping hairs. This a type 3, made 1942 to 1948. It does not have any brass or rosewood on it due to the war, similar to the Stanley wartime planes. I'm very happy with this one - it's every bit the equal of my Stanley Baileys, if not better.
Now listen my friend, the first sign of addiction or having a problem is denial. :lol: :lol: :lol: You're amongst fellow collectors here, admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Hi. My name is Mike, and I am an addict. :lol:
Mike

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a beautiful Millers Falls plane, Mike.
As you know, it's in great condition and you cleaned it up very nicely. Good job.
And good results too.
Joe
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks Joe
Mike

RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not looked here lately, so I’m behind.

That vise I sent Dimitri is quite small, which is not evident in the pictures.

It will fit in the palm of your hand, I think or just about.

Don’t remember where it came from.

Dimitri broke his and that one was not being used here, so he was welcomed to it.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
TPK

Post by TPK »

Reverand wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:28 pm This old tool might not be cool, but it works fairly well.

I used it once this year and it now has an awesome grip!
Oh I like that tool! ::tu:: I've been looking for one of those whenever I get a chance to go to flea markets but I haven't ran across one of them yet. ::hmm:: I don't really even know what they are called. ::hmm:: Nice job on the grip. ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

TPK wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:52 pm
Reverand wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:28 pm

::hmm:: I don't really even know what they are called. ::tu:: :D
We called them a "Yo-Yo" , or just a "weed whacker" when I was a kid. We tried to avoid them as much as possible, as they aren't much fun to operate. :lol:

Not to be confused with a Duncan Yo-Yo, which we all liked to play with. The Duncan Butterfly Yo-Yo was especially popular when I was in about 4th or 5th grade back in the early 70s.
Mike

Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I bought another cool old tool yesterday - adjustable pliers by Utica Tools!
These work similar to the old Chanel-Lock pliers that I grew up with, but have adjustable holes instead of the grooves.
They work well. I plan on coating the handles with Plasti-dip and dropping these in the tool box.
I don't buy old tools to look at, I buy them to use.
C7A5A30C-9E16-4E66-84E2-0B007BE062A1.jpeg
D009F8BA-D0BB-478A-8C6B-52B8AB692466.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

::tu::
AAPK Janitor
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Unk wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:53 pm
TPK wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:52 pm
Reverand wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:28 pm

::hmm:: I don't really even know what they are called. ::tu:: :D
We called them a "Yo-Yo" , or just a "weed whacker" when I was a kid. We tried to avoid them as much as possible, as they aren't much fun to operate. :lol:

Not to be confused with a Duncan Yo-Yo, which we all liked to play with. The Duncan Butterfly Yo-Yo was especially popular when I was in about 4th or 5th grade back in the early 70s.
We called them lively lads. I may still have one somewhere.
Attachments
20221231_121712.jpg
eveled

Post by eveled »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 am YouTube hates me. ::facepalm::

The other Case.
Thats neat. The Eagles name was Old Abe as I recall. I found this Statue on the side of the road in Indiana
9CDDE274-2B0E-432D-853A-FE33402D3F2D.jpeg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

eveled wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:35 am
1967redrider wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 am YouTube hates me. ::facepalm::

The other Case.
Thats neat. The Eagles name was Old Abe as I recall. I found this Statue on the side of the road in Indiana

9CDDE274-2B0E-432D-853A-FE33402D3F2D.jpeg

Very cool find, eveled! 😎👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Reverand wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:34 pm I bought another cool old tool yesterday - adjustable pliers by Utica Tools!
These work similar to the old Chanel-Lock pliers that I grew up with, but have adjustable holes instead of the grooves.
They work well. I plan on coating the handles with Plasti-dip and dropping these in the tool box.
I don't buy old tools to look at, I buy them to use.

C7A5A30C-9E16-4E66-84E2-0B007BE062A1.jpegD009F8BA-D0BB-478A-8C6B-52B8AB692466.jpeg
Hey Reverand, you been shopping at taco-bet again ain’t ya?

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

We have been hitting some estate sales while I am recovering from by-pass surgery. Here's a few old tools I have picked up recently.
Attachments
Diamalloy duck bill pliers (USA)
Diamalloy duck bill pliers (USA)
Stainless steel aircraft safety wire (USA)
Stainless steel aircraft safety wire (USA)
Stanley #75 bullnose plane - made in England
Stanley #75 bullnose plane - made in England
Stanley Defiance #1247 plane (USA)
Utica Needle nose pliers #777-6 (USA)
Utica Needle nose pliers #777-6 (USA)
Schrade Walden #148
Schrade Walden #148
Craftsman combo wrenches (USA)
Craftsman combo wrenches (USA)
Needle Nose pliers - Made in West Germany
Needle Nose pliers - Made in West Germany
Utica Bell System Needle Nose (USA)
Utica Bell System Needle Nose (USA)
Mike

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

And a couple more...
Attachments
Vallorbe - Engineers File set - made in Switzerland
Vallorbe - Engineers File set - made in Switzerland
Utica Lineman Pliers - #50-8 (USA)
Utica Lineman Pliers - #50-8 (USA)
James Swan draw knife (USA)
James Swan draw knife (USA)
Mike

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Glad your health is on the rise. Nice old tools.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:10 pm We have been hitting some estate sales while I am recovering from by-pass surgery. Here's a few old tools I have picked up recently.
Some nice pick-ups, but more importantly, did not know about your surgery. Glad you are on the mend, take it easy and look after yourself. ::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I love to see the old tools, but even more I love hearing about your improving health!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thank you gentlemen. I have been feeling great. This coming Tuesday will be 12 weeks post surgery, and I can resume normal activities.

Hi Cudgee - I had a quintuple by-pass back on Nov. 22nd. I have a family history, and had been keeping an eye on my ticker. Luckily, I never had a heart attack nor even any symptoms, but the Doc said it was time to fix it, so we did.

The last time I tried to use a couple of my ratchets, they didn't work so hot. So I decided this week to disassemble and clean them. After I did a couple, they worked so well I decided to do all (or most) of my ratchets. I took them apart, soaked them in mineral spirits, and cleaned and oiled them. They all work smooth as butter now. :)

A few Craftsman, several Thorsens, a Walden, a KAL, and one no-name Taiwanese. The fourth from the left is a Thorsen 77J. My dad owned this particular ratchet from around the time I was born (1961), and was the first ratchet I ever picked up, sometime in the early 1960s. It was the only ratchet set my Dad owned until the late 1990s when he retired and updated some of his tools. We worked on hundreds of projects with this - bicycles, mini-bikes, motorcycles, cars, trucks, tractors and more all got repaired with this set. You can see the metal box has been well used and abused. As a kid, I used a piece of sheet metal that we built our chicken coop and workshop out of to replace the lost divider in the tray. The ratchet still works great after ~60 years. Every time I use this set I am reminded of my dad. I guess I need to restore the metal box at some point, as it will pass down to my son someday.
Attachments
20230209_164556.jpg
20230209_163223.jpg
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:36 am Thank you gentlemen. I have been feeling great. This coming Tuesday will be 12 weeks post surgery, and I can resume normal activities.

Hi Cudgee - I had a quintuple by-pass back on Nov. 22nd. I have a family history, and had been keeping an eye on my ticker. Luckily, I never had a heart attack nor even any symptoms, but the Doc said it was time to fix it, so we did.

The last time I tried to use a couple of my ratchets, they didn't work so hot. So I decided this week to disassemble and clean them. After I did a couple, they worked so well I decided to do all (or most) of my ratchets. I took them apart, soaked them in mineral spirits, and cleaned and oiled them. They all work smooth as butter now. :)

A few Craftsman, several Thorsens, a Walden, a KAL, and one no-name Taiwanese. The fourth from the left is a Thorsen 77J. My dad owned this particular ratchet from around the time I was born (1961), and was the first ratchet I ever picked up, sometime in the early 1960s. It was the only ratchet set my Dad owned until the late 1990s when he retired and updated some of his tools. We worked on hundreds of projects with this - bicycles, mini-bikes, motorcycles, cars, trucks, tractors and more all got repaired with this set. You can see the metal box has been well used and abused. As a kid, I used a piece of sheet metal that we built our chicken coop and workshop out of to replace the lost divider in the tray. The ratchet still works great after ~60 years. Every time I use this set I am reminded of my dad. I guess I need to restore the metal box at some point, as it will pass down to my son someday.
Glad you took measures about you heart, sounds like you have a good team behind you. I did not know you could dismantle ratchet spanners, learnt something new.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

The Thorsens don't come apart (they are press fit), but the rest do. The Craftsman, Walden, and KAL all come completely apart. It's a bit fidgety, as they all have a spring and a small ball bearing. But watch a few Youtube videos for your model to see the process - most are pretty simple to refurbish. You can even buy repair kits on e-bay for the Craftsman ratchets.
Mike

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”