Cool Old Tools

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cool Old Tools

Post by Unk »

Thanks, Cudgee. He's a big goofball, and under my feet most of the time.

And thanks, Keith. It's a 14" Delta clone, made in Taiwan in 1983, so that makes it about 36 years old. Parts are interchangable with most 14" bandsaws, so parts are plentiful. I bought new trunnions, bearings, cool blocks, and a new blade guard for it. It should be good enough for my home garage. I made a little more progress on it this weekend, with lots of sanding, primering, and painting - see pics. I should get the base re-assembled this week, and I will post some more pics as I progress.
Attachments
Joshka 7-2019.jpg
20190714_222938.jpg
20190714_222954.jpg
20190714_223032.jpg
20190714_223048.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I bet you love him to death though!!! :mrgreen:
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Yep, my wife spoils both our dogs like they are her babies. I guess I do to.

I got a little more done on the band saw tonight. A little more painting, a little more wire brushing, and the I got the base assembled. Who knew there was so much sheet metal on a bandsaw? :lol:

I am using Rustoleum "Hammered" paint. I don't recommend it - it's very difficult to get the hammered look, unless you put really thick coats - and then of it runs. Of course my painting skills leave a lot to be desired.
Attachments
20190715_123436.jpg
20190715_123456.jpg
20190715_210142.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

You haven't seen runs until you spray a large section of the hull of a new $5-$7 million dollar yacht and get a big sag. Give the sander guy's the big boards and sand it off and try again. ::doh:: meaning two man long boards.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Great progress Mike.
Looking very professional.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Mr. Watch, that sounds like a little bigger job than i would want to take on! :)

And thanks, Old Folder. I won't be able to work on it for a few days. Going to the deer lease to do a little hog hunting this weekend.
Mike

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Well, the band saw ( I christened it Big Joe - after the label on it) is finally finished and sawing wood again. It won't win any concours d' elegance tool shows :lol: but it will suffice for my needs.

It runs nice and quiet without hardly any vibration. I screwed up and ordered a 93.5" blade from Amazon, and it was too big. It takes something smaller? Any body know what size this old saw would take? I am assuming 92.5, but not sure? I had to use an old rusty blade, but it still cuts just fine.
Attachments
Finished 1.jpg
Finished 2.jpg
Finished 3.jpg
Finished 4.jpg
Finished 5.jpg
Mike

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Good looking job Mike ::nod:: Very handy piece of machinery right there..
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Can't help with the length but we have a band saw blade welder at the seniors center. A saw sharpening shop may be able to cut and weld it to correct length for you? The upper wheel should have an adjuster to tighten the blade if it has enough room. Can someone help you wrap a tape measure all the way around? Also several type of teeth per inch for different material.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks Guys. I figured out the blade is 91.5 inches, and have one on order (this size is kind of hard to find). Here is the technique I used, by rolling the blade along the ground - just in case you ever need to measure a bandsaw blade. :D

https://www.detroitbandsaw.com/resource ... de-length/
Mike

mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

good to hear on the length and link. actually our senior center guy's liked the blades from Harbor Freight. I bought my small Delta when Menards had a grand opening sale around $90 some years ago. I already had a over head office cabinet just the right height on end to mount it on from a garage sale.
eveled

Post by eveled »

9F612EBA-A511-43DC-93A0-559009BBFDCB.jpeg
A couple scribes, planes, and draw knives.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Sliding T-Bevel, scribes, rabbit planes, draw knives, and a spokeshave. Now those are cool old tools! ::tu::
Mike

knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

FRJ wrote:Cant quite peg this one for use.
Anyone got any ideas?

Could not resist this beautifully designed and well made tool. 1/16" shy of 9 inches.
Got it on the bay for under $10.

Mfgs. logo is "STAHL" within a fish image. I believe it's German.
I googled them, they have lots of like modern tools but not this.
Hey, STAHL was well known back in the day for their tools made for Cobblers "shoe makers".
I believe this is one of many tools made by STAHL used for this purpose.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you for that information, knives-are-quiet. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

My Dad gave me this old rosewood and brass Stanley Try square sometime in the 1980s. He had another one so he gave me his old one. It is the only small square I have, and I have used it on many projects and practically every piece of wood I have sawed for the last 40 years. I remember my Dad having it all my life, back into the early 1960s. I still use it today, and just made sure my band saw table was square with it yesterday.

I was curious how old it was, and, according to this website, it dates to 1896-1906. That makes it at least 113 years old. I was kinda surprised to find out it was that old. I have no clue where my Dad got it.

http://www.oldtooluser.com/TypeStudy/st ... dy.htm.htm
Attachments
Try Square from Ed Meyer - 1896-1906 a.jpg
Try Square from Ed Meyer - 1896-1906 e.jpg
Try Square from Ed Meyer - 1896-1906 f.jpg
Mike

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have collected these neat old Stanley framing squares that are tapered from the corners to the end of the tongue and blade.
Some in better shape than others but I can't resist them. I swear, no one has asked for more than $3 for any of them.
Back in the day when mens tools were highly thought of.
Attachments
DSCN8134.JPG
DSCN8147.JPG
DSCN8157.JPG
DSCN8158.JPG
Joe
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Nice squares, FRJ. The large square in my pic is an Eagle Square Mfg Co. square. My Dad gave it to me as well around the same time as the small square. I had never noticed that it is tapered until your post. Stanley Tools purchased the Eagle Square Mfg co in 1916.

My framing square seems to date from 1874 to 1916, based on the logo pics article in this link:

https://www.craftsofnj.org/images/sitem ... 201706.pdf
Mike

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's so great, Mike. I'm glad you found your square to be tapered. ::tu::

Lots of good information in that link.
Joe
eveled

Post by eveled »

I think the taper is so they lay flatter. Also they are easier to handle. More balanced. It added a lot of work to make them tapered.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

[quote="Unk"]My Dad gave me this old rosewood and brass Stanley Try square sometime in the 1980s. He had another one so he gave me his old one. It is the only small square I have, and I have used it on many projects and practically every piece of wood I have sawed for the last 40 years. I remember my Dad having it all my life, back into the early 1960s. I still use it today, and just made sure my band saw table was square with it yesterday.

I was curious how old it was, and, according to this website, it dates to 1896-1906. That makes it at least 113 years old. I was kinda surprised to find out it was that old. I have no clue where my Dad got it.

Unk, that is a nice tool, not sure how you arrived at the date. I have one too. I would take some fine steel wool or green scotch bright with oil and clean up the blade. easier to read the numbers and more information may be stamped easier to read. I will look at mine.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Hi Mr. Watch. Let me qualify and say I am not a vintage tool collector, so I am not an expert. The only old tools I have were given to me by my Dad or other relatives. (Vintage Pocket knives excluded - I have bought many hundreds of those and have tried to educate myself on the matter :lol: )

In the picture below, you can see (hopefully) the stamp on my Stanley #20 Try square. It says "Stanley Pat. 12-29-96".

According to the website below, Stanley made the # 20 try square from 1888 to 1984, or almost 100 years. and the stamp on mine was used 1896 to 1906. which makes my square a Type 2A (in column 1, row 2)

http://www.oldtooluser.com/TypeStudy/st ... dy.htm.htm

I remember it was very well used and somewhat rusty when my dad gave it to me. I used naval jelly and did some scrubbing on it at that time - although that was almost 40 years ago. But it still looks pretty much like it did after I cleaned it up back then. It probably does need a very gentle cleaning.

Earlier in this thread (way back in 2012), I posted some pics on me cleaning up some of my great-grandfathers tools that I had inherited. I used an electrolysis bath, with very good results:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24239&start=30
Attachments
Try Square from Ed Meyer - 1896-1906 f.jpg
Mike

mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Thanks UNK, I tried NAVEL JELLY back around 1974. a pink slime that didn't seem to do much. I recently bought a bunch of quality metal files, some long and expensive that had rust for $1.00 at a moving sale. I have become a fan of electrolysis with a battery charger for rust removal. Try to buy a file card at a hardware store, don't know what you are asking for. Had to go to a machinist supply and pay like $22 for one. Remember that from 1960 shop class. I have also become a fan of antique monkey wrenches with the wood handles. $2-$6. some times. higher I will pass unless it has a rail road stamp.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a well made 11 inch wrench that is not stamped by the maker. I don't know why such a finely made tool is not stamped.
I love saving old tools. This mostly unused wrench was covered in rust. It would not function. The jaw edges are sharp.
Now, with an abundance of patina it is back to working again. A beautiful wrench, really.

Check out this old early design in locking pliers. As good as the day they left the factory.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN9308.JPG
DSCN9311.JPG
DSCN9316.JPG
DSCN9318.JPG
DSCN9320.JPG
DSCN9322.JPG
DSCN9323.JPG
Joe
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Those are indeed beautiful old tools FRJ ::groove:: I feel exactly the same way about old tools as you. I have a bunch of wrenches that I haven't got around to working on yet, been to busy this last while. I'll probably clean them up after harvest. Good stuff!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”