Cool Old Tools

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Dan In MI

Re: Cool Old Tools

Post by Dan In MI »

Nice pick-ups, Mike, and hope your recovery is going well!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Wreichard

Post by Wreichard »

Found today in a family garage … old(ish) lino knife from Goodell … Antrim, NH, USA.
CE3BCE15-1236-4C8E-A79F-EB88D13BA55C.jpeg
74C89E41-E638-44BF-B792-1C64544ADA33.jpeg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Great old American made tools ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Wreichard

Post by Wreichard »

Miller Bro's wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:11 am Great old American made tools ::tu::
Some gorgeous files, too. Love seeing the stuff.
A1832DA9-93FC-4CE0-AD48-FCE559A58CE6.jpeg
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Here's an old Staking set I have, used for pocket watches and jewelry, and occasionally other random items.
Kendricks and Davis (KD) "Inverto" aprox 1963-72 .

Hard to find complete so I bought a second set that had the missing pieces, looks like I need new pics though. Looks great on the old rolltop desk too.
Attachments
18R_setInfo.png
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Nice old set swedge!
I found this little gem in a drawer on dads work bench. Looks to be kinda old but not sure how old. Neat piece though!
Jimbo
3F44DEFF-4B29-455A-B936-50FF98B739E3.jpeg
54059BDF-F1B8-4EBB-9FEF-9E63C552C796.jpeg
417624A7-8FA7-4D4D-93FE-170990DE61A4.jpeg
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Really nice tools! My dad had several linoleum knives like that growing up. I have a scar on my knuckle from trying to drill a hole through the handle to hang it on the pegboard when I was a kid. The drill bit hung in the wood, and jerked the knife out of my hand. It swung around and whacked me on the knuckle. I learned to clamp anything I was drilling in the vise that day! :lol:

And that's a nice old Simonds file. I cannot pass up to the old "Made in the USA" files at the Estates Sales. I have way too many. Mostly Nicholson, but a couple of Simonds, Gold Medal, Delta, etc. I seem to use files a lot - pretty much every week in my shop, I am reaching for a file.

Also nice staking tool and vintage caliper!
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Some great stuff being posted. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Wreichard

Post by Wreichard »

Unk wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:01 am Really nice tools! My dad had several linoleum knives like that growing up. I have a scar on my knuckle from trying to drill a hole through the handle to hang it on the pegboard when I was a kid. The drill bit hung in the wood, and jerked the knife out of my hand. It swung around and whacked me on the knuckle. I learned to clamp anything I was drilling in the vise that day! :lol:

And that's a nice old Simonds file. I cannot pass up to the old "Made in the USA" files at the Estates Sales. I have way too many. Mostly Nicholson, but a couple of Simonds, Gold Medal, Delta, etc. I seem to use files a lot - pretty much every week on my shop, I am reaching for a file.

Also nice staking tool and vintage caliper!
I’ve got a few of those “educational” scars myself! ;-)
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I was using my Froe a couple days ago to split this wood...
Attachments
20230210_124246.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

TripleF wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:08 pm I was using my Froe a couple days ago to split this wood...
Scott, ol' buddy, you're supposed to make shingles with a froe, not fire wood! ::poke::
Seems like the old timers in Florida made the shingles from the sawn blocks of cypress because of its' ability to stand constant moisture. Lot's of old boats were made of cypress boards too.
great old tool!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Nice froe, Scott!
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Unk wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:12 am Nice froe, Scott!
TY ::handshake::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

The old folk around here used froes for lots of stuff including tobacco sticks and split rail fences. ::handshake::
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Some of my files laid out. All the ones on the left are Nicholson USA. The 5 small ones are Vallorbe (Swiss). Then a mixed bag of Delta, Oberg, Simonds, TRW, Shapleigh Diamond Edge, Gold Medal, etc. Then 3 no-names. The 8 on the right are some Chinese files from Harbor Freight - I wasn't expecting much but surprisingly, they aren't terrible. Below them are a couple of sets of small precision files, and then a couple of file cards to keep everything clean.

I use at least one or more of these every week in the shop - they just seem to come in handy. I probably don't need this many, but find them hard to walk past at the estate sales. :lol:
Attachments
20230216_114629.jpg
Mike

Wreichard

Post by Wreichard »

Unk wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:43 pm Some of my files laid out. All the ones on the left are Nicholson USA. The 5 small ones are Vallorbe (Swiss). Then a mixed bag of Delta, Oberg, Simonds, TRW, Shapleigh Diamond Edge, Gold Medal, etc. Then 3 no-names. The 8 on the right are some Chinese files from Harbor Freight - I wasn't expecting much but surprisingly, they aren't terrible. Below them are a couple of sets of small precision files, and then a couple of file cards to keep everything clean.

I use at least one or more of these every week in the shop - they just seem to come in handy. I probably don't need this many, but find them hard to walk past at the estate sales. :lol:
What a great spread! Reminds me a lot of the family member whose file I posted earlier … I think he felt the same way about them … just seemed like a shame to him not to bring them back to the fold. :wink:
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Nice files Mike. I’m the same way with files, I just can’t get enough!
Jimbo
Jimbo
eveled

Post by eveled »

10EF3FF9-0FD8-42B1-B39B-29DF0A809B50.jpeg
A bunch of old Xcelite stuff.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Some great Xcelite tools there!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Nice Xcelite kit, Eveled. I think I have one of my dad's old xcelite kits. One of the small sets of screwdrivers. I will dig it out and snap a pic.

Here's an old farm jack I picked up cheap at an estate sale. It was pretty rusty and dirty when I got it home. I ran it through the angle grinder with a wire wheel and the smaller parts on the wire wheel on my bench grinder. It cleaned up nice and works fine. Not crazy about the green color, but I had some leftover cans of Rustoleum "hammered" paint from when I restored my bandsaw a few years ago - so I decided to use what I had.

Best I can tell, the company was American Gage & Mfg Co. based in Wauseon, Ohio, but the jack was made in Canada. I am thinking 1970s or 80s maybe.
Attachments
Before
Before
Before
Before
Before
Before
After wire wheel
After wire wheel
After wire wheel
After wire wheel
Paint
Paint
Finished
Finished
Finished
Finished
Mike

eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks guys. That jack came out great!
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

I picked this champion coal forge blower up at an estate sale about 2 yrs. ago and haven’t had a chance to mess with getting it running yet. I’ll get to it eventually!
514576ED-213D-45A2-8612-45E28F779F7B.jpeg
5C5F89DA-9546-48D6-95E3-FC69F86706A6.jpeg
Jimbo
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Unk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:16 pm Here's an old farm jack I picked up cheap at an estate sale.
I've heard those called "Hi-Lift jacks" (which may be a brand name), but never "farm jacks." You sure did a great job on it! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve got three or four old farm jacks around. They’re handy for all sorts of jobs.

That will be a worthwhile project Jimbo. ::tu:: Reminded me of my old shop compressor. The motor and compressor still work great but the tank leaks (too much internal rust) so I’ve retired it. The compressor is a Model A, the label on the tank is dated 1963. Everything made in USA. My son bought me a new Ingersol-Rand to replace it - the tank was made in Mexico, the compressor and motor in China.

Ken
46C9DA6F-13BA-496F-8BCF-98C0A2783563.jpeg
Attachments
BDD8616B-13B5-4D47-A777-7501D01D485E.jpeg
24FAE3EF-AA64-42BF-A932-3E8AEFC5ECF2.jpeg
1CD786B1-29B9-4843-A655-DD0D49C33537.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Unk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:16 pm Nice Xcelite kit, Eveled. I think I have one of my dad's old xcelite kits. One of the small sets of screwdrivers. I will dig it out and snap a pic.

Here's an old farm jack I picked up cheap at an estate sale. It was pretty rusty and dirty when I got it home. I ran it through the angle grinder with a wire wheel and the smaller parts on the wire wheel on my bench grinder. It cleaned up nice and works fine. Not crazy about the green color, but I had some leftover cans of Rustoleum "hammered" paint from when I restored my bandsaw a few years ago - so I decided to use what I had.

Best I can tell, the company was American Gage & Mfg Co. based in Wauseon, Ohio, but the jack was made in Canada. I am thinking 1970s or 80s maybe.
Nice!

One of my flea/yard sale goals this year is to find a quality farm/bumper jack, as I can't afford $200 for a good Hi-Lift. These are really good for prying, pulling, spreading, and of course lifting. We have a cheap Reese, and the poor machining has nearly gotten me killed several times when the pawl jumped out. The (pretty danged old) Simplex jacks we keep around for most chores might look like crap, but they still work safely and reliably.

I need to take my 15 Ton Simplex toe jack apart, clean, and paint it. There's a rusty internal spring in the pawl that may need replacement as well.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”