Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
WillyCamaro

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by WillyCamaro »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:21 pm Wow, WC! Thanks so much for providing an extensive informational launch pad! ::tu::
Thank you tong, I tried to word my information in a clear and concise manner, glad you enjoyed the read ::handshake:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:33 pm
TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:03 pm Here's a pretty good article that compares ballistics of 22 rimfire & airguns: https://www.crosman.com/get-hunting/airgun-ballistics

There are youtube videos of airgun reviews that show guys with dedicated airgun ranges in their basements, garages or backyard workshops. It can be done, but it's not just a matter of setting up in the hallway between your living room and your master bedroom. :)
Yes, it needs to be carefully done, like all firearm behavior. I had a heavy plate steel trap in my basement years ago, and it would handle .44 Magnum jacketed bullets, but only if you were willing to neglect to wear shooting glasses or goggles and do the 'blinded forever' thing. I fired one shot with .44s and decided that was not my best plan. .22 rimfires all day, no problem if one doesn't mind the lead dust going into your body... forever. An indoor range with all the proper setup is the best idea; I am lucky to be a member of a really fine one. By the way, my cousin lost an eye to a ordinary 'Daisy' in about 1955.
You nailed it man!
One nice thing about modern day air gunning, is that many companies produce alloy pellets/bb's. For anytime you don't want to deal with lead.
Your cus probably lost it to a Red Ryder, still in continuous production to this day. That is one classic gun that shouldn't be underestimated, like you guys found out. Eye protection is a must, like he found out :( .
When we are young, we do stupid, and yes, i'm pointing at myself in the mirror ::nod:: .
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here’s some tips on an indoor BB range https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2020 ... JJVB6P6HI0

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I'm sure we all know this, but just for the sake of any lurkers - there is a big difference between the good ol' BB guns of our youth and the serious pellet guns WillyCamaro has posted. For well under $200 you can get an air rifle with a muzzle velocity of 1200-1400 fps with a .177 pellet. For reference, the old Red Ryder was maybe doing 350 fps on its best day!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:39 am I'm sure we all know this, but just for the sake of any lurkers - there is a big difference between the good ol' BB guns of our youth and the serious pellet guns WillyCamaro has posted. For well under $200 you can get an air rifle with a muzzle velocity of 1200-1400 fps with a .177 pellet. For reference, the old Red Ryder was maybe doing 350 fps on its best day!
As Bob Dylan said way back in 1964, "The times they are a changin'".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

There were some serious airguns back in the day too as I inherited one from my grandfather. I don't know how old it is other than it was from before my time.

It's a .22 cal Benjamin Franklin multi-pump rifle. With 7-10 pumps it will easily put the pellet through both sides of a steel coffee can or in one case the head of a possibly rabid skunk. My little red-ryder style bb didn't hold a candle to it.

Now though it's even legal to use air rifles to hunt deer with in Missouri with certain conditions, from the allowed methods:
Air-powered firearms, .40 caliber or larger, charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor).
TwoFlowersLuggage

Oh yeah, big-bore "pre-charged pneumatic" (PCP) rifles in large caliber are some serious kit.

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Mavrik wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:18 amIt's a .22 cal Benjamin Franklin multi-pump rifle
Could it have been a Benjamin Sheridan rather than Franklin?

Sheridan Products Inc. was formed to produce Pneumatic Air Pellet Rifles with production beginning in March 1947. In the early 1940s Co-founder Ed Wackerhagen, dissatisfied with a pellet gun used by his son, set out to build one of the finest airguns in history. The design was to incorporate the philosophy: "performance is the sum total of many small functions who's combined result must spell 'Bulls-eye' It was to be called the Model A, also known as the Super Grade. This gun was to fill the gap between the "BB" gun and the .22. A successful prototype was produced in mid-1944, and in 1945 in partnership with I.R. "Bob" Kraus, Sheridan Products, Inc. was born in Racine, Wisconsin. The name Sheridan was reputedly in honor of the Civil War's General Philip Sheridan.

Lastly, AAPK’s own Mason wrote “Daisy Air Rifles and BB Guns: The First 100 Years” - you might want to check it out!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

One of my cousin's had a pump Benjamin and I have personally witnessed it putting a pellet through the side of a 55 gal steel drum. They will shoot. BTW, my .22 rifle shooting .22 shorts would not do the same thing.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

bestgear wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:51 am
Mavrik wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:18 amIt's a .22 cal Benjamin Franklin multi-pump rifle
Could it have been a Benjamin Sheridan rather than Franklin
Yes it is, I was going on memory, I think it is an early production mod 342. Those rifles had Benjamin Franklin in quotes stamped on the barrels but it was a play on the Benjamin brand not the brand itself.

It's been a while since I looked up the information on that rifle and the rifle itself is at my parents house because my father borrowed it to go after some squirrels so I didn't have it available for easy reference. I need to see about getting it back if my father is done with it.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

Benjamin Sheridan is now owned by Crosman. They still make a version of the classic .22 & .177 Benjamin multipump pellet rifles. The .22 is rated at 685 fps.
https://www.crosman.com/benjamin-392-22
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

My accumulation of airgun rifles is just that, my dad's old Crosman Model 760 Pumpmaster, my old Daisy Model 99, my two son's Daisy Model 1938B (Red Ryder's) and my father-in-law's Winchester Model 1000X and Benjamin Sheridan Model397PA. All are in 100% working order and are exercised regularly. I also have a small accumulation of airgun pistols but that's for another day ::facepalm::
Attachments
Airguns.jpg
Airgun Crosman 760 Pumpmaster 2 of 2.jpg
Airgun Daisy Model 99 1 of 1.jpg
Airgun Daisy Red Ryder 1 of 3.jpg
Airgun Winchester 1000X 1of 2.jpg
Airgun Benjamin Sheridan 397PA 1 of 3.jpg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

What? No Crosman five shot M-16?

I love those 1911 clone BB pistols, but pulling that out in the wrong place could get one shot or arrested.

I thought such guns had to have red or orange on them.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:59 am What? No Crosman five shot M-16?

I love those 1911 clone BB pistols, but pulling that out in the wrong place could get one shot or arrested.

I thought such guns had to have red or orange on them.

Charlie
I think that is for toy guns.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I've been thinking the same thing, rules seem to be real funny when it comes to airsoft and airguns. Every bb and pellet gun I've seen doesn't have the orange tip, but many (not all) air soft guns have them. You tell me why it's that way ::shrug:: . I have no idea ::hmm:: .
Winston Churchill

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:33 pmYou tell me why it's that way
According to Google, in the United States, federal law and regulations indicate that all toy guns transported or imported into the country must have a 6mm-wide blaze orange tip or a blaze orange stripe 1-inch (2.54 centimeters) thick on both sides of the barrel. However, this is not required by federal law for airsoft and paintball. Part 272 of Title 15 of the Code of Federal Regulations on foreign commerce and trade (15 CFR 272) states that "no person shall manufacture, enter into commerce, ship, transport, or receive any toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm" without approved markings; these may include an orange tip, orange barrel plug, brightly colored (safety orange) exterior of the whole toy, or transparent construction.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

TwoFlowersLuggage

The reason for the orange tips is to help prevent cops from shooting people that point toy guns at them. Since a pellet/BB gun could actually harm someone, they do not get the orange tip.

Personally, I would say not pointing a gun at a cop should be considered a Darwin Test. If you do it, and the cop shoots you, well, that's just Evolution In Action!
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That actually happened to an LEO friend of mine. During a car stop the kid had a pellet pistol stuck between the seat and console. When asked for his ID he lifted the pistol up but my friend was quicker. He stuck his Sig into the kids ear and pinned his head to the seat with it. The kid started crying and hollered "It's only a toy!" My friend was upset!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Things have gone crazy in the gun industry.Went to buy my Grandson a used single shot shotgun ( thats what we use in the thick brush for Pa'trige and timberdoodle)for his 12th birthday so I'm at my gunsmiths shop inquiring bout said gun and there prices were at $150-200 dollars ::shrug:: are you kidding me.He says ya can't get a new single made in the USA anymore WTF!!! I did get him down to one hundred buck for a H&R Topper..I remember buying these NEW for $89 all day long.OH WELL Grandson will be happy...... :)
Attachments
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

::teary_eyes:: He'll love that shotgun! An H&R Topper in .410 was my first shotgun when I was a kid. Good Grandpa!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just a comment on the H&R single barrel. We came close to buying one for our son back in the day, he just turned 42, but an old feller mentioned the cost of .410 shells compared to 20 ga. shells. Back then .410 shells were outrageous in price, I haven't checked on them in years.
Here's picture of our little man and his H&R Topper Jr. 490 in 3" chamber:
scan Willys wagon 289 Ford engine.jpg
His 1st dove on a Sunday afternoon many moons ago!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thank Byrd ::handshake:: TF nothing like them old pics ::groove:: I got his in 12ga..
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 pm Thank Byrd ::handshake:: TF nothing like them old pics ::groove:: I got his in 12ga..
Good for you gdogg! Most think a .410 is good because of less recoil on a youngster, but it’s also discouraging - hard to hit anything with a .410.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”