Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by dlr110 »

Doc B wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:36 pm I've got a friend, I was stationed with, in Guam...1991-92. We've remained good friends. He's coming to visit, from Oklahoma, in a couple of weeks. He sent me this picture, I hadn't seen, from their last visit. His wife, shooting my Taurus Judge. It will shoot a .410 (my primary use is for a snake gun); also,(and here) it fires a .45 long colt cartridge.Linda Gun.png
Doc B that is an absolute prize of a picture!!! ::tu:: I have a Taurus Judge also and it is in my headboard. If the bad guy comes in at night I won't have my glasses on, so in the first chamber is a .410 and if he is still there after that the rest are the .45LC. The first time I fired that thing with the .45LC in an indoor range, the whole line stopped and looked to see what I was shooting. I love that gun!
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

dlr110 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am
Doc B wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:36 pm I've got a friend, I was stationed with, in Guam...1991-92. We've remained good friends. He's coming to visit, from Oklahoma, in a couple of weeks. He sent me this picture, I hadn't seen, from their last visit. His wife, shooting my Taurus Judge. It will shoot a .410 (my primary use is for a snake gun); also,(and here) it fires a .45 long colt cartridge.Linda Gun.png
Doc B that is an absolute prize of a picture!!! ::tu:: I have a Taurus Judge also and it is in my headboard. If the bad guy comes in at night I won't have my glasses on, so in the first chamber is a .410 and if he is still there after that the rest are the .45LC. The first time I fired that thing with the .45LC in an indoor range, the whole line stopped and looked to see what I was shooting. I love that gun!
David, mine generally stays at the ranch, for snakes...but it would be a great home, self-defense option. Snakes come in more than one form. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Another looong time buddy and I gave a loooong time buddy of ours a Judge for (I think) his 65th birthday. He lives out in the country on 5 wooded acres and shoots all kinds of critters with it. He loves it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mighty fine shootin going on around the country ::tu:: . 3 months into winter, and I can wholeheartedly agree that I soooo miss some green and the sight of water :( . Maybe i'll have to move out to bc for a few weeks each winter in the comin years, do a little mtbing/hiking/enjoying the sun ::super_happy:: .
Nothing to say bout marlins, cause what can you say. It's a marlin for peats sake! :D. I keep hearing good things bout Taurus handguns, they sound like perty good firearms, especially for the prices they run at. But can't really compare to the likes of, Browning FN, Colt/Rem. 1911, Beretta 92/94, P.07 Luger, P.38 Walther, Sig Sauer P226, CZ 75, Glock 19, ect. ect. But it's really not fair to put them into the same league. Modern handguns are just as good, if not even better then there legendary counterparts. I guess, just my humble opinion, and sorry to stir up the hornets nest :wink: . Heck if it shoots, i'll shoot it and love it! ::super_happy::
Gun show trip was a success, especially for dad.
He picked up a perty rare Winchester Model 250, .22 lever gun in excellent condition for a great price. It looks to be a safe queen, old feller hade it, hardly shot the thing, sold it to the dealer, then dad comes along and picks it out, that's how we roll baby! Looks to have fired less then 100 rounds, would say between 90%-95% condition. Action is smooth as silk, tight, and gearing looks to be in mint condition. Just needs a barrel swabbing and she's good to go. Bro or me will grab a few pics for you fellers. Also I mounted the scope from my Benjamin classic on here, looks perty good now.
I picked up another air pistol to add to the collection. An Sig Sauer 1911 Spartan edition .177 cal, for an excellent price I might add ::super_happy:: . Cabelas hade a mixup in there pricing, so I got it at a discount, due to store policy 8) . She's looks/feels/operates so close to the real sig 1911 is kinda freaky. There was the .45 spatan in the case and you literally couldn't tell the difference. Probably the most accurate replica of any hand gun I've seen to date. Weeell, kinda easy to explain because this is a real sig, designed by sig, and manufactured to sigs specs in Japan 8) . It's basically sigs 1911 with different guts ::shrug:: . At least i'm happy, and that counts for something, doesn't it! :mrgreen:
Here's a pic, and link to the sigs website, product page on it, enjoy!
Wully :D
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-spa ... b-gun.html
https://youtu.be/3CtTeRl0n3A
Attachments
1911-spartan.jpg
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:15 am Mighty fine shootin going on around the country ::tu:: . 3 months into winter, and I can wholeheartedly agree that I soooo miss some green and the sight of water :( . Maybe i'll have to move out to bc for a few weeks each winter in the comin years, do a little mtbing/hiking/enjoying the sun ::super_happy:: .
Nothing to say bout marlins, cause what can you say. It's a marlin for peats sake! :D. I keep hearing good things bout Taurus handguns, they sound like perty good firearms, especially for the prices they run at. But can't really compare to the likes of, Browning FN, Colt/Rem. 1911, Beretta 92/94, P.07 Luger, P.38 Walther, Sig Sauer P226, CZ 75, Glock 19, ect. ect. But it's really not fair to put them into the same league. Modern handguns are just as good, if not even better then there legendary counterparts. I guess, just my humble opinion, and sorry to stir up the hornets nest :wink: . Heck if it shoots, i'll shoot it and love it! ::super_happy::
Gun show trip was a success, especially for dad.
He picked up a perty rare Winchester Model 250, .22 lever gun in excellent condition for a great price. It looks to be a safe queen, old feller hade it, hardly shot the thing, sold it to the dealer, then dad comes along and picks it out, that's how we roll baby! Looks to have fired less then 100 rounds, would say between 90%-95% condition. Action is smooth as silk, tight, and gearing looks to be in mint condition. Just needs a barrel swabbing and she's good to go. Bro or me will grab a few pics for you fellers. Also I mounted the scope from my Benjamin classic on here, looks perty good now.
I picked up another air pistol to add to the collection. An Sig Sauer 1911 Spartan edition .177 cal, for an excellent price I might add ::super_happy:: . Cabelas hade a mixup in there pricing, so I got it at a discount, due to store policy 8) . She's looks/feels/operates so close to the real sig 1911 is kinda freaky. There was the .45 spatan in the case and you literally couldn't tell the difference. Probably the most accurate replica of any hand gun I've seen to date. Weeell, kinda easy to explain because this is a real sig, designed by sig, and manufactured to sigs specs in Japan 8) . It's basically sigs 1911 with different guts ::shrug:: . At least i'm happy, and that counts for something, doesn't it! :mrgreen:
Here's a pic, and link to the sigs website, product page on it, enjoy!
Wully :D
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-spa ... b-gun.html
https://youtu.be/3CtTeRl0n3A
Are citizens allowed to own and carry handguns in Canada??
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Own: yes, with a truckload of rules and regulations ::disgust:: .
Carry: Absolutely not, under no circumstances are you allowed concealed carry, or even open carry handguns. Even in your own back yard. If the law found out, man they would throw the book at you, and then some. Even airsoft is prohibited to be carried in public, fine in yer back yard, or at a field. But if the law saw you in public, i.e town. Boy you would get it, again the book. You can't even transport hand guns without prior written consent by beuacrats, even then they can take away your "Permit to Transport Restricted Handguns", any time they feel like it. Rifles and shots guns are ok so far, they do want to start going after ar style/military sport rifles, i.e single shot and semi auto rifles that look like there military counterparts. You get the picture. Basically its what your country will look like in the short future if Americans stop fighting for there first and second amendment rights. We are just a little ahead of you guys, basically next level Commieforniea ::disgust:: . Seems this federal gov we have, right now is hell bent on copy catting every thing commie is doing ::shrug:: ::disgust:: . Just take a look at https://thegunblog.ca/ and you'll get a good idea of what going on right now here in (broken) Canada. It really is sad how bad things can go in such a short time, I guess people have extremely short memories ::shrug:: .
Willy :D
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Well said Willie!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Getting some kind of award, the comedian Dave Chapelle said that "the 1st Amendment (freedom of speech and lawful assembly) is first because it is so important. And the 2nd Amendment is just in case the 1st amendment doesn't work out." Funny but also an acute observation.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

WC, I feel for our Canadian brothers on this subject,
Unfortunately in the U.S. we have a bunch of Constitution hating democrats running for president that want the same kind of laws in America.
David
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

David, I'll 2nd that statement!
Can't imagine the logic that is behind the "anti 2nd Amendment movements"? ::shrug:: What is the motivation?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:02 pm Can't imagine the logic that is behind the "anti 2nd Amendment movements"? ::shrug:: What is the motivation?
Treefarmer
The same objective as health care, climate change, etc. At the root of them all is:

C-O-N-T-R-O-L.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm
treefarmer wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:02 pm Can't imagine the logic that is behind the "anti 2nd Amendment movements"? ::shrug:: What is the motivation?
Treefarmer
The same objective as health care, climate change, etc. At the root of them all is:

C-O-N-T-R-O-L.
Ken. You hit the nail on the head!

Ken
David
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:15 pm Getting some kind of award, the comedian Dave Chapelle said that "the 1st Amendment (freedom of speech and lawful assembly) is first because it is so important. And the 2nd Amendment is just in case the 1st amendment doesn't work out." Funny but also an acute observation.
And in case the first two fail, there's the third.

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

May I offer this up on the subject at hand?
Gun Control, a page from a book I'm working on.

"The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

How relevant is this today? In school we learned that our revolution started because British rulers and governors were imposing unfair taxes or tariffs on the colonies without input or representation by the people. This became known as “No taxation without representation,” and was a phrase used by Boston Minister Jonathan Mayhew during a sermon in 1750, twenty-six years before the American Revolution began.

Also, your homes or property could be seized by the British government without due process of law for taxes or for quartering British troops and yes, government confiscation of town armories and personal weapons, GUN CONTROL. Our founding fathers and the colonists were very aware of gun control issues and the importance of being able to protect oneself as well as the colonies thus the 2nd amendment.

The following is an excerpt from an article by Dave Kopel, an Associate Policy Analyst with the Cato Institute and adjunct Professor of Advanced Constitutional Law at the University of Denver’s Sturm College of Law. The author of 14 books, Kopel writes on constitutional law, criminal justice, civil rights, firearms policy, and the media. His briefs have been cited by U.S. Supreme Court Justices and his research has been cited by state Supreme Courts, federal courts, and in over 600 law review articles.

[On July 6th 1775, the Continental Congress adopted the “Declaration of Causes and Necessity of Taking Up Arms,” written by Thomas Jefferson and Pennsylvania lawyer John Dickinson. Among the grievances listed in the document were General Gage’s efforts to disarm the people of Lexington, Concord, and Boston. One year later, July 4th 1776, the colonies adopt the “Declaration of Independence.” Included in the Declaration were the tyrannical acts of King George III that listed the king’s methods for carrying out gun control in the colonies.

The British always remembered that without full control of the population and their weapons, they could never control America and in 1777 Colonial Undersecretary William Knox drafted a plan entitled “What Is Fit to Be Done with America?” To ensure that there would be no future rebellions by the colonists, “the Militia Laws should be repealed and none suffered to be re-enacted, & the Arms of all the People should be taken away, nor should any Foundry or manufacturer of Arms, Gunpowder, or Warlike Stores, be ever suffered in America, nor should any Gunpowder, Lead, Arms or Ordnance be imported into it without License....” end]

To the Americans of 1776 the idea that the right to keep and bear arms was a “collective right” and not an “individual right” would have seemed incomprehensible. Americans owned weapons individually in their homes and collectively, in their town armories and powder houses. Depending on where you lived they were needed not only for protection, but most importantly for killing wild game for food. The colonists were not going to allow the British to confiscate their individual or their collective arms, and when they tried to do both, a Revolution began.

Americans used their individual and their collective arms to fight against the confiscation of all arms. Americans fought and died to provide themselves a new government that would never perpetrate the tyrannical policies and abuses that had provoked the revolution. Take a good look at other countries and tell me if the people's “Right to bear Arms” is relevant today.

You bet your life, and your freedom it is!
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

What makes me crazy is that more gun control laws will NOT stop violent crime. Keeping law-abiding citizens from being conscientious gun-owners does nothing to stop crazies and criminals from using the millions of weapons that are already out in the world. That genie is out of the bottle. You can't go back to 9th century China and prevent the invention of gunpowder. Instead of trying to do the impossible, anti-gunners should be telling their governments to enforce criminal laws and fight poverty & other drivers of crime. Stop the root cause of the violence, not the tools.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

David R, I think you have done an excellent job of marshaling your sources and laid out the case in a clear and persuasive manner. Fine work.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:29 am David R, I think you have done an excellent job of marshaling your sources and laid out the case in a clear and persuasive manner. Fine work.
I second that Gary, mighty fine job you are doing on your book David ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm
Treefarmer

C-O-N-T-R-O-L.

Ken
You hit the nail on the head Ken, things never change, Even after 250 years ::shrug:: . Just look at what the Bolsheviks did to Russia/The World after they seized power in 1917.
Winston Churchill

Byrd

Post by Byrd »

dlr110, excellent observations and great history. Control is the most obvious reason why the left want our guns. Look at what's happening in Virginia now. To those of us with some age on us that grew up with guns as part of life it makes no sense, but to the millennials coming of age and having been fed the propaganda it makes perfect sense. I personally think we can see the handwriting on the wall and it's scary. In the gun community there is division as well. Before I retired I worked with guys that were avid hunters, but not "gun guys". They didn't care about "gun control" because it wouldn't affect their hunting guns. They didn't care about black rifles or handguns and wouldn't discuss the possibility of their deer rifles of shotguns being confiscated. None were NRA members. None looked at the possession of guns as a freedom and were apathetic about it. That in itself is a part of the problem coupled with the crazy mass shooters and the push by the left for control/confiscation. Last week a high school student here was caught at school with a Glock 19. The school board formulated a statement calling for more gun control...not knowing that it was already illegal for that kid to be in possession of a handgun. That is a recipe for disaster!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Byrd wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:00 pm dlr110, excellent observations and great history. Control is the most obvious reason why the left want our guns. Look at what's happening in Virginia now. To those of us with some age on us that grew up with guns as part of life it makes no sense, but to the millennials coming of age and having been fed the propaganda it makes perfect sense. I personally think we can see the handwriting on the wall and it's scary. In the gun community there is division as well. Before I retired I worked with guys that were avid hunters, but not "gun guys". They didn't care about "gun control" because it wouldn't affect their hunting guns. They didn't care about black rifles or handguns and wouldn't discuss the possibility of their deer rifles of shotguns being confiscated. None were NRA members. None looked at the possession of guns as a freedom and were apathetic about it. That in itself is a part of the problem coupled with the crazy mass shooters and the push by the left for control/confiscation. Last week a high school student here was caught at school with a Glock 19. The school board formulated a statement calling for more gun control...not knowing that it was already illegal for that kid to be in possession of a handgun. That is a recipe for disaster!
I am of course not in your area so you know more about that local situation. But I’d be surprised if the local school board members were not aware it was already illegal for the kid to be in possession of a handgun, especially on school property. Too many times elected officials, local, state and national, feel pressured by the media and the anti-gun lobby (in most cases they’re the same) to “do something”. So they do the easy thing - pass more laws. None of which have any real impact on the problem. And we the law-abiding people lose more liberty.

I understand your comments about the generational shift in attitudes and the hunters not caring because they think the issue doesn’t affect them. Which is naive at best. I have a copy of The Art of Shooting by Charles Edward Chappel, published in 1950. It was in my late father’s library. The last chapter of the book is titled “The truth about firearms registration laws”. The issues discussed therein are largely the same as are being discussed today. But the big difference is what kind of fire arms are being demonized by the anti-gun element. In 1950 there were no AR-15 so-called “assault weapons”. Few or no “high capacity magazines”. The anti-gunner’s arguments outlined are near-identical to those we hear today. But what were they after at the time? Shotguns, rifles, and other common privately owned firearms of the day - in 1950!

The in-animate objects (fire arms) being targeted have evolved with technology. The anti-second amendment advocates goal is the same today as it was 70 years ago - control.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:58 pm
Quick Steel wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:15 pm Getting some kind of award, the comedian Dave Chapelle said that "the 1st Amendment (freedom of speech and lawful assembly) is first because it is so important. And the 2nd Amendment is just in case the 1st amendment doesn't work out." Funny but also an acute observation.
And in case the first two fail, there's the third.

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."
And you can bet your sweet pattutie that if the 2nd falls the 1st and 3rd will soon follow suit!

Good work David!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:41 pm ... Too many times elected officials, local, state and national, feel pressured by the media and the anti-gun lobby (in most cases they’re the same) to “do something”....
This is EXACTLY right. I have this argument with my wife all the time. Every time there is an "active shooter" event, she starts railing about "doing something" - but she doesn't want to hear that the proposed gun control laws would not have prevented that shooting. Makes me crazy!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Here's my Sig Spartan 1911 .177 bb pistol. I got major gun fever last night, so pulled her out, loaded up, and blew a few mags out, off the back deck into the surrounding snow banks. Hey, can I help it that I love shooting, even in the dead of freezing winter :roll: . Least I blew off some steam, and sweeped the snow off the deck, at least I can say I worked for my shooting. Also pulled out my cz and blew through a few mags.
What I can say from my first shooting session, and comparing it to my cz (i'll cross compare them with my Glock 19 when she warms up again), is that it's a ton of fun and accurate! ::woot::
Trigger pull is excellent IMHO, they say around 5 1/2 lbs pull, I believe it. Nice, short, crisp single action, just like a proper 1911. Blowback is fully functional, engages the hammer each time, and lock back after final shot. Safety is superb, as is overall balance/feel. A proper custom target quality 1911, just like the full size Sig 1911's. Build quality is excellent, made in Japan. All-metal construction, with high quality polymer grips. Loading co2 is a breeze, just pull down the back cam (doubles as back side of grip), insert co2, then forcefully push the cam closed. Takes a little effort at first, but perty easy to get hang of it.
I put about 30 rounds through it so far, getting good groupings in the snow bank. Shooting freehand mind ya, got all rounds in a 6" circle, and managed to stack quite a few in the same holes. Can't wait to see what she'll do during proper range time, I believe i'll be stacking them all day @ 7yds 6"-12" targets.
Cheap Styrofoam plates make excellent targets for this purpose, nailed onto standing pallets. Probably i'll take it out to 10 yards to give it a more through testing. If I can land most of the rounds (with only a few flyers), within 1' target, then she's awesome. But i'm getting way ahead of myself, first the weather has to smarten up ::pray:: ::pray:: . Well, winter on the prairies, what can you do ::shrug:: . Anyway, stories much the same for my cz, just the slide is not cut out, and doesn't lock back. Other then that they are both superb replicas/target trainers.
Attachments
DSCN2542.JPG
DSCN2543.JPG
DSCN2545.JPG
DSCN2546.JPG
DSCN2547.JPG
DSCN2550.JPG
DSCN2537.JPG
Winston Churchill

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Interesting reviews and very nice photos. ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Air pistols are ok in Canada but "powder" traditional handguns are not?

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”