Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Old Hunter

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks Colonel Wade!

Jerry, Nice! I just noticed that the engraving on your Series 70 is larger than that on my slide. My Colt was made ca. 1979-'81 per my records, do you know when yours was made? Never noticed that before on a Series 70. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 pm
Old Hunter wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am It struck me that I haven’t fired my M1911 in a number of years (six, seven, ??) so I pulled it out of the safe and lubed it. Going to take it out one day this coming week and do some target practice. I was actually pretty decent with these at one time. OH
Ain't nothin' like 'em Colonel.
Haven't had mine out for awhile! With the price and scarcity of .45 ammo I'll just keep it for home defense with my Sig Sauer premium hollow points. BTW Jerry, sweet looking 1911! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm sorry Colonel, I don't know. I don't even remember when (draw a BIG circle around 1970) or where I got it.

Thanks Ferg.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ah yes, the 1911. Magazine capacity possibly excepted, they are superior in every way to the 92Fs that replaced them. Two very nice examples, Jerry and OH!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thank you Dan.
Thank you Jerry, at the very least we know your Colt is a little older than mine, so I would infer that the smaller engraving came later. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 pm
Old Hunter wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am It struck me that I haven’t fired my M1911 in a number of years (six, seven, ??) so I pulled it out of the safe and lubed it. Going to take it out one day this coming week and do some target practice. I was actually pretty decent with these at one time. OH
Ain't nothin' like 'em Colonel.
Very nice Cuz!!!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

It’s not a Colt, but this Ruger Commander size 1911 rode iwb under my suit jacket to church this morning (every Sunday). It pairs well with a CASE XX era 6375.
3F10C2F9-6372-4C64-9BFE-83DE2F6A1FFB.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like she's in the ready for action position too, Col. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Samb

Post by Samb »

Hard to beat 45 ACP for personal protection.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Cocked and lock the only way to go ::tu:: Nice Ruger ::handshake::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A fine looking Ruger Col. I've said before that I find the Commander size ideal, having the best balance for me.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:10 pm Cocked and lock the only way to go ::tu:: Nice Ruger ::handshake::
Amen!
Quick Steel wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:35 pm A fine looking Ruger Col. I've said before that I find the Commander size ideal, having the best balance for me.
I agree! ::handshake::
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yesterday I traveled over to Jackson, Minnesota to participate in a SASS cowboy shoot hosted by the local club there, the Fort Belmont Regulators. I was one of 18 registered shooters who competed in the 6 stage match with 2 pistols, lever action pistol caliber carbine, and shotgun. They have a nice setup for shooting the 6 stages with props and scenarios provided by the match director. I can say that the Uberti pistols, Marlin carbine, and Stoeger double 12 gauge performed flawlessly, unlike the jerk behind the trigger (me) who did not. Actually I shot well (but not particularly fast), no misses on 138 shots total, but had 1 procedural penalty on a stage that required that the targets be shot in a specific order, I messed up 1 of them. As you can see on the pictures, the props include stage 3, which was a bank robbery and shootout at the MADOFF Bank, and stage 4 which was a jail where you were required to shoot your way out and escape a lynch mob. lol Anyway, it was a BLAST, and any of your who have a SASS club near you can partake of this kind of event.
20210509_104936.jpg
The jail scenario
20210509_115814.jpg
Myself participating under my alias Farley D. Angerous
20210509_121614.jpg
The Madoff Bank, scene of a robbery and shootout.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Looks like great fun. Thanks for sharing.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:00 pm Yesterday I traveled over to Jackson, Minnesota to participate in a SASS cowboy shoot hosted by the local club there, the Fort Belmont Regulators. I was one of 18 registered shooters who competed in the 6 stage match with 2 pistols, lever action pistol caliber carbine, and shotgun. They have a nice setup for shooting the 6 stages with props and scenarios provided by the match director. I can say that the Uberti pistols, Marlin carbine, and Stoeger double 12 gauge performed flawlessly, unlike the jerk behind the trigger (me) who did not. Actually I shot well (but not particularly fast), no misses on 138 shots total, but had 1 procedural penalty on a stage that required that the targets be shot in a specific order, I messed up 1 of them. As you can see on the pictures, the props include stage 3, which was a bank robbery and shootout at the MADOFF Bank, and stage 4 which was a jail where you were required to shoot your way out and escape a lynch mob. lol Anyway, it was a BLAST, and any of your who have a SASS club near you can partake of this kind of event
I'm only a 1/2 hour from Jackson. A couple of years ago I met a member from there at the local range here and was invited to come and watch. And then Covid came and you know the rest. Do you know off hand when is the next match?
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OC, that looks like a hoot and a half, and I love your alias! Lol

What’s that Marilin carbine? 1894 .357?
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:26 pm OC, that looks like a hoot and a half, and I love your alias! Lol

1894, 44 magnum. Of course the 44 mag is not full power but loaded to approximate old black powder velocities of the 44/40. By rule it has to be less than 1400 fps. My load is a 200 gr lead bullet and chronographs at about 1225 fps. It "dings" those metal targets real good.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Boji wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:42 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:00 pm Yesterday I traveled over to Jackson, Minnesota to participate in a SASS cowboy shoot hosted by the local club there, the Fort Belmont Regulators. I was one of 18 registered shooters who competed in the 6 stage match with 2 pistols, lever action pistol caliber carbine, and shotgun. They have a nice setup for shooting the 6 stages with props and scenarios provided by the match director. I can say that the Uberti pistols, Marlin carbine, and Stoeger double 12 gauge performed flawlessly, unlike the jerk behind the trigger (me) who did not. Actually I shot well (but not particularly fast), no misses on 138 shots total, but had 1 procedural penalty on a stage that required that the targets be shot in a specific order, I messed up 1 of them. As you can see on the pictures, the props include stage 3, which was a bank robbery and shootout at the MADOFF Bank, and stage 4 which was a jail where you were required to shoot your way out and escape a lynch mob. lol Anyway, it was a BLAST, and any of your who have a SASS club near you can partake of this kind of event
I'm only a 1/2 hour from Jackson. A couple of years ago I met a member from there at the local range here and was invited to come and watch. And then Covid came and you know the rest. Do you know off hand when is the next match?
Yes, I had not shot in a match for awhile because last year there were none. Their next match is scheduled for June 13th.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:26 pm OC, that looks like a hoot and a half, and I love your alias! Lol

1894, 44 magnum. Of course the 44 mag is not full power but loaded to approximate old black powder velocities of the 44/40. By rule it has to be less than 1400 fps. My load is a 200 gr lead bullet and chronographs at about 1225 fps. It "dings" those metal targets real good.
Oh man! I had one of those for a while until I needed the money worse than the gun. I sure wish I could run up in another, but they’re scarce as hen’s teeth here.
Robert E. Lee
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great fun OC. I had one in.357, what a great little gun. Proud for you. ::tu:: ::tu::
Sundog Knives

Post by Sundog Knives »

I would NOT want to get in a shoot-out with that guy ^^ :shock:
Samb

Post by Samb »

Sundog Knives wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:22 pm I would NOT want to get in a shoot-out with that guy ^^ :shock:
I wouldn't want to get in a shootout with anyone!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

doglegg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 pm Great fun OC. I had one in.357, what a great little gun. Proud for your. ::tu:: ::tu::
I’ve got a 357 Marlin. Fantastic rifle and one of my favorites to shoot. I even took a big doe with it this year.
Robert E. Lee
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Samb wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:39 pm
Sundog Knives wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:22 pm I would NOT want to get in a shoot-out with that guy ^^ :shock:
I wouldn't want to get in a shootout with anyone!

I'm with you sam!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I recently picked up this nice OLD H & R top break pocket pistol in caliber 38 S & W. It has a 3 1/4" barrel, 5 shot and would be legal in SASS pocket pistol side matches. The last patent date on the barrel is 1896, so it was probably made between then and 1940. It is good and tight, with the hinge, latch, and extractor working perfectly. I had it out to the range this morning and tried it out with some light loads, which is essential in shooting these old pieces. No need to magnumize this one. The pocket pistol SASS matches require that one draw the pistol and click off 5 shots rapid fire on a metal target and for a hit is only necessary to be able to hear the ding on the metal. Now to make up a holster for it, maybe a suspender mounted one would work.
20210515_154005.jpg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”