Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Boji wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:18 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:10 pm I recently picked up this nice OLD H & R top break pocket pistol in caliber 38 S & W. It has a 3 1/4" barrel, 5 shot and would be legal in SASS pocket pistol side matches. The last patent date on the barrel is 1896, so it was probably made between then and 1940. It is good and tight, with the hinge, latch, and extractor working perfectly. I had it out to the range this morning and tried it out with some light loads, which is essential in shooting these old pieces. No need to magnumize this one. The pocket pistol SASS matches require that one draw the pistol and click off 5 shots rapid fire on a metal target and for a hit is only necessary to be able to hear the ding on the metal. Now to make up a holster for it, maybe a suspender mounted one would work
There is a local live auction here on Sunday with a couple of top breaks. I don't own one but always interested in adding something "New to me"
What does a person need to look out for?

This is an Iver Johnson, correct? It isn't listed on the sale bill, looks decent. listed is a Hopkins & Allen Safety Police and some others but the billing has multiple errors. Example A current production Kimber in .38 acp?
Top break.jpg
Could be an Iver Johnson, you would actually have to read the stamping on the top of the barrel. These should never be considered safe to shoot with modern smokeless factory loads. Almost all are "wall hangers". They suffer from loose hinges, worn latches, cylinders that dont stop spinning and timing that is off. I had looked for over a year to find the one I have shown that is tight and safe to shoot with my own light loads. A current production Kimber in 38ACP? That is laughable, and dangerous. Also many people don't know that the 38 S & W (which is the caliber of many of the top breaks) is different than the 38 Special and the 38ACP and none are interchangeable.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

[/quote]
Could be an Iver Johnson, you would actually have to read the stamping on the top of the barrel. These should never be considered safe to shoot with modern smokeless factory loads. Almost all are "wall hangers". They suffer from loose hinges, worn latches, cylinders that dont stop spinning and timing that is off. I had looked for over a year to find the one I have shown that is tight and safe to shoot with my own light loads. A current production Kimber in 38ACP? That is laughable, and dangerous. Also many people don't know that the 38 S & W (which is the caliber of many of the top breaks) is different than the 38 Special and the 38ACP and none are interchangeable.
[/quote]

The reason I said Iver Johnson is because there clearly is an owl on the grip. Checking it out should be no different than any old, used revolver. I'll only be interested if it is .32 cal. Would it be .32 rim fire? If so, I'd be SOL. I'll just have to go to the auction and see. There are some other guns I'm interested in too, depending on what they sell for.
And you can add .38 super to the .38 cal mix. Wonder if that is what they meant by the .38acp? Kimber does make guns in .38 super.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

BoJi,

John Browning designed the 38 ACP around 1900. According to WIki, a pretty hot round.
steve99f
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Uberti makes some sweet top-break reproductions, but they're not cheap. I love the Russian. These can handle modern cartridges.

https://www.uberti-usa.com/top-break-revolver
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Auction update, the Kimber was a .380acp so I wasn't interested, if it had been the .38 super I might have been.
Overall prices were crazy high. A Ruger New Model Blackhawk .357 sold for $1300. For an $700-$800 gun.
The Iver Johnson was the 3rd Model with 4 cross pins so modern ammo could be shot in it. Tight lock up, rifling looked good,
but the cylinder was cracked :( :( I still did buy it, why? Just because, might be able to find a cylinder, who knows? Guess I needed a project.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Boji wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 pm Auction update, the Kimber was a .380acp so I wasn't interested, if it had been the .38 super I might have been.
Overall prices were crazy high. A Ruger New Model Blackhawk .357 sold for $1300. For an $700-$800 gun.
The Iver Johnson was the 3rd Model with 4 cross pins so modern ammo could be shot in it. Tight lock up, rifling looked good,
but the cylinder was cracked :( :( I still did buy it, why? Just because, might be able to find a cylinder, who knows? Guess I needed a project.

John Dillinger had a matched set of Colt 1911's in .38 Super. I used to have a picture of them somewhere . . . found it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190729-175139.png
Screenshot_20190729-175041.png

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

They sure did some crazy things with the Colt 1911 back in the early 1900's.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: My Grandson's graduation gift! 212042_Message+.jpg[/attachment]
SmartSelect_20210525-212042_Message+.jpg
Attachments
SmartSelect_20210525-212030_Message+.jpg
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

fergusontd wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:40 am My Grandson's graduation gift! pg
Outstanding!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

fergusontd,
An excellent graduation gift!
More graduates need to be exposed to the true side of gun ownership, the responsibility that comes with ownership and good pep talk on our nations 2nd Amendment!
You did good!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TrueStory

Post by TrueStory »

Wow Ferg, that's one heck of a graduation gift. I'd think anyone would be thrilled to receive that. By the way, I'm available for adoption. Just sayin... :lol:
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: it's a .22, my S-I-L bought it for him last year and kept it hid. Now he can shoot his own instead of my 1911 Colt! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Outstanding graduation gift!!!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

WOW!!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

OUTSTANDING!!

An anniversary edition!
SWEET!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

fergusontd wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:40 am ::tu:: My Grandson's graduation gift! 212042_Message+.jpg[/attachment]SmartSelect_20210525-212042_Message+.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Gongrats to the young feller on the milestone of graduation and ownership of a fine pistol. 🔫 👌🆗️🙆‍♀️👍
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

👍👏👍
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You done good ferg.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I've been wanting to replace a .38 Special that I had given to one of my grandsons on their 18 birthday, but you all know that guns and ammo have been had to come by in the past year or so. Sunday night I got an email from Academy Sports that they were back in stock, so I jumped on that immediately. It's a Taurus 856 Ultra-Lite .38 Special 6 shot with a 2" barrel. I also got the speed loader for it. Can't wait to get to the range with it.
20210526_152806.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice, David!

Planning on some outdoor range time this weekend. I have a new red dot and magnifier that needs zeroed in. 😉
🎯 🔫

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This looks interesting. S&W 9mm Subcompact 1911, 6.9" total length and 26 oz. total weight, has an oversized external extractor, 3-hole curved trigger with over-travel stop, and ambidextrous thumb safety.

Ken
Attachments
95E14F3A-140A-4EE3-BC5B-BD82DB42AD7F.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

dlr110 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:33 pm I've been wanting to replace a .38 Special that I had given to one of my grandsons on their 18 birthday, but you all know that guns and ammo have been had to come by in the past year or so. Sunday night I got an email from Academy Sports that they were back in stock, so I jumped on that immediately. It's a Taurus 856 Ultra-Lite .38 Special 6 shot with a 2" barrel. I also got the speed loader for it. Can't wait to get to the range with it.20210526_152806.jpg
How did it go?? 🤔
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Samb

Post by Samb »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:57 pm This looks interesting. S&W 9mm Subcompact 1911, 6.9" total length and 26 oz. total weight, has an oversized external extractor, 3-hole curved trigger with over-travel stop, and ambidextrous thumb safety.

Ken
Looks very interesting, did you see a price for it?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

jmh58 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:22 pm
dlr110 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:33 pm I've been wanting to replace a .38 Special that I had given to one of my grandsons on their 18 birthday, but you all know that guns and ammo have been had to come by in the past year or so. Sunday night I got an email from Academy Sports that they were back in stock, so I jumped on that immediately. It's a Taurus 856 Ultra-Lite .38 Special 6 shot with a 2" barrel. I also got the speed loader for it. Can't wait to get to the range with it.20210526_152806.jpg
How did it go?? 🤔
John 🤠
Yes, very interested in hearing the report. A few years back I had 2 different models of Taurus 22 rim fire revolvers. Neither of them worked past 100 rounds and had to go back to the factory.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”