Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
zp4ja

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by zp4ja »

JACK OF ALL TIRADES wrote:I thought those Pythons were too much at $400
Meaning you are kicking yourself I assume.

Both of my snake guns were made in 66’ and 68’ as I recall. My Dad bought these around 1980’ for $265 and $400 for the Diamondback and Python respectively. The 4 inch .38 Diamondback is the most “balanced” revolver I have ever handled or shot. My Dad had the trigger worked on both, almost to the point of dangerous in SA mode if you have not been exposed to or are aware of it.
Hair triggers for sure.
An unfired mint 6 inch Python will fetch about $5000 these days. In my opinion, and many others it seems based on the price they fetch, the Colt Snake series are the Rolls Royce of revolvers. This is not to demean other fine revolvers as there are many. Just my personal experience.

Would love to find an Anaconda 4 inch in .44 mag. Another heavy beast at 47 ounces. Just hard to drop that much cash when I have plenty of other fine options already. But maybe someday...

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
mikek

Post by mikek »

From 1976- 1978 I was a military policeman in Worms Germany. They had what they called "Rod & Gun Clubs" it was a sporting goods store and bar combo. It was a wonderful idea, have a beer and put fingerprints on the inventory.
Anyhow, they had a couple of 6 inch Pythons and the price was $359:00 for one. That was a hell of a lot of money for an E-4 at the time. I got one and never looked back.
Over the years I taken a few doe with it and did an awful lot of bullseye shooting. Even though there's a special place in my heart for Smith K- frames you can't beat a Python.
I pay extra for patina
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Heading to the range to blow off last years SD rounds and try out new rounds ::nod:: Double ear protection will be needed today rough nite :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

guarddogg, You have a very nice selection. Do you have a preference for one?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

GD, looks like a fun time to be had for sure!

I have a couple of stripped AR lowers that I’ve been aiming to build for a while. I’ve been looking at various components and just putting it off in general til I got a round to it. Well two days after Christmas Palmetto State Armory put out this daily deal. Complete upper, lower parts kit, all Magpul hardware, stock, grip, and MBUS rear sight. All milspec components for $299 w/ free shipping.

There were some higher end parts I was looking at, but couldn’t pass this one up for the money. It’s not here yet, but here’s the pic.
0C3EDC15-2BD6-4A10-A114-C8131FBFE660.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

That's a steal, Colonel! One of my buddies has been pestering me to let him make me a 6.5 Grendel. He made one for one of my other buddies on the lease. I will try his out and see how I like it - and also if I have the extra money laying around. haha

I recently made a couple of changes to my Colt LE6940 AR. I had the original stock butt on it, and it rattled around and was narrow, and made it difficult to get a good cheek weld. The Colt also came with a quick disconnect swivel on the front for the strap, but the rear of the strap had to wrap around and fasten to the butt....so it wasn't really a quick disconnect. I bought a Magpul CTR butt stock with quick disconnect and a lock so there is no rattle, and it is wider so I can get a good cheek weld on it. It is a great improvement.
I also had a Nikon 4-12x40 BDC scope with exposed turrets and a two piece mount. I fought and fought with this thing for 4 years to keep it zeroed, but every time I shot it it would be a foot or two off. And I would bump the toggles all the time when cleaning or carrying it around. I just had zero confidence in the rifle. After missing my 2nd hog with it, I said enough. I took the Nikon scope and rings off and gave them to my nephew (with a warning not to use the mounts), and I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle scope with one piece mount. The new Vortex has stayed zeroed and last time out I got two hogs with it. The last group of hogs came in just at dusk - dark hogs against some dark brush with a black reticle is hard to line up a shot on. I clicked on the illuminated reticle on low, and it worked perfectly - and the hog went down.

These two changes have made my least favorite rifle one of my favorites now.
Attachments
Before - Nikon scope and OEM stock
Before - Nikon scope and OEM stock
After - Vortex Strike Eagle and Magpul stock
After - Vortex Strike Eagle and Magpul stock
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wet cool Mike. And I’ve heard good things about the 6.5!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Quick Steel wrote:guarddogg, You have a very nice selection. Do you have a preference for one?
QS all four have different reasons for being,LCP Is Sue's,SD9VE has 16 round of goodness primarily head board watch she get carried usually when I head to town. The LCR and Smith Bodyguard are EDC. ::handshake:: ..Colonel them ar and AK can get very costly,they are fun to shoot ::tu::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice array of choice there dog. I too carry different ones for different scenarios.

Wow Wade. What a deal. I have to do a kit also at some point. Please share the finished product when you get done.

Nice hog Mike. I have been told by the guys at my LGS that a one piece AR scope mount is a “requirement” for an AR or possibly ultra high two piece rings. Can’t recall exact details as to why.
Vortex is all I own now except for Dad’s old retired scopes. Unmatchable warranty. I have Vortex Scopes, Binoculars and spotting scope. I have a Stike Eagle 1 x 6 on my AR 10. Good choice.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks Jerry. Mine is 1-6 x 24 as well.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

1CC0140D-8F07-406B-B08D-56588AC03BAC.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

LOL, Colonel, we need a LIKE button. ::tu::
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

like - like ............. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::ds:: Love it Wade! ::ds::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Oh yes!.... I love that pic Wade!!
(I had to save it so I can send it to some friends!!)

Mike
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Anyone familiar with this item or any similar to it?

There are multiple examples, from different makers, on Amazon.

https://www.opovoo.com/products/edc-waist-bag

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Not familiar but I like it.....
I use a sneaky Pete for general EDC.... But this has a good disguise effect..... I like!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Very similar to a "sneaky Pete" set up, discreet. All the folks that wear phones and other devices attached to their belts in neat little pouches, this would be unnoticeable for concealed carry. Problem, maybe, one would have to unzip it to access their weapon, depends on the situation. ::shrug:: Just my opinion. :)
Treefarmer
I see Mike has about the same opinion.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I can see where it might come in handy is certain situations. But I don’t think i would like it for day in day out concealed carry. I use a Galco King Tuk. I like it very much.
Robert E. Lee
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The pouch comes in two sizes, but they do not tell you what weapons will fit, all they provide are measurements.

I carry a compact .45 ParaOrdnance WartHog, which is considerably larger than a .380.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I have a terrible head cold, and a busy weekend ahead, so I took the day off to recouperate. Figured since I was already home I might as well play with some toys. So I put this together.
C0F9CD93-DB81-4E2C-8DD9-435FBDDF4A78.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Colonel26 wrote:I have a terrible head cold, and a busy weekend ahead, so I took the day off to recouperate. Figured since I was already home I might as well play with some toys. So I put this together.

C0F9CD93-DB81-4E2C-8DD9-435FBDDF4A78.jpeg

Very nice build Wade! Let us know how it performs.

Regards, Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Colonel26 wrote:I can see where it might come in handy is certain situations. But I don’t think i would like it for day in day out concealed carry. I use a Galco King Tuk. I like it very much.
I agree Wade and Phillip!

Given that most defensive shooting occurs within 20 feet as I recall, the time to unzip it could make a huge difference. A person can cover a lot of ground in one or two seconds. Seems to me to be like an open carry/ concealed carry hybrid. Just my opinion.

I use Mernickle holsters. I always carry concealed except when I am in the outdoors.

Jerry
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice job Wade ::tu:: like the color ::nod:: how's she shoot?show sum paper.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”