Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:20 pm That sounds good!
Maybe.... by mid summer there will be some ammo back on the shelves.

THEY SAY.... they are making it as fast as they can.
I should have added that the 9mm they had the whole pallet was aluminum case Speer. At least you could shoot it even if you could not reload it.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Went into an Orschelin store to pick up fence repair stuff and low & behold! Look what they had for $4.50 a box! Not the best price and a limit of 2 boxes, but it's a good sign!
Attachments
20210421_124821_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Byrd wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:31 pm Went into an Orschelin store to pick up fence repair stuff and low & behold! Look what they had for $4.50 a box! Not the best price and a limit of 2 boxes, but it's a good sign!
Man Byrd, compared to normal prices up here, that is just dirt cheap 22!
:shock:
And Aguila's no less.
:shock: :shock:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Got in 2 days of lead slinging this past weekend, with a cousin, sister's boyfriend and a work buddy. Had a wide variety of firearms to choose from, probably went through a few hundred rounds each. Outdoors in a field at the farm, luckily the weather cooperated. Had cleaning to do before coming back to Alexandria, my hands smell like black powder and Hoppe's #9. 😍
Attachments
IMG_20210424_125134425.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Byrd wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:31 pm Went into an Orschelin store to pick up fence repair stuff and low & behold! Look what they had for $4.50 a box! Not the best price and a limit of 2 boxes, but it's a good sign!
Awesome!!! Even though I have a fair stash of 22, we haven’t been doing any plinking just in case. But my goodness I’m ready to go burn some powder with the boys.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

We had the Grands to ourselves last weekend while mom and dad went to the beach.
That gave ole gran paw a chance to get Clark down to the shop. I was organizing a few things and he saw a S&W top break I had there in pieces.
He wanted to make himself a pistol, SO.... I gave him the parts and some tools and he went to work.
I told him where things went and how they fit together and this is the result......

IMG_6970.JPG

Not bad for a 7 year old.
He was so proud of that pistol. He carries it around all weekend and told everyone that would listen what he had done. (I made sure he left out some vital parts so it is non operational.... and it is 32S&W.)
He enjoyed that so much, he had to go do another on.... SO, we went to the shop and I found him an old Spanish Colt clone. It was a rusted POS but we cleaned it up and he put it together too.
He left our house with 2 new trophys. His mom and dad reluctantly let him take them home under the rule that they would go in dad's safe until proper gun handling could be observed.

Here is Clark, Sunday afternoon sending a few pellets down rang. (He jot one 10x...!!!)
IMG_6972.JPG

Yep, you come to gran paws house and you might get a little "country" in ya..!!

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:15 pm (I made sure he left out some vital parts so it is non operational.... and it is 32S&W.)

You are one smart grandpa. And sneaky. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Well done Mike, skills acquired, pride in workmanship given, motor skills developed and some great bonding with grandpa. Great job. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Way to go Mike!!! I’ve had my oldest two tearing guns apart and putting them back together since they were tiny. Great skills to have.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks y'all.....
His dad agrees too.
He says he might have to paint the tips of the barrels orange. I just think it would be best if he didn't show them to his friends right away. I don't think his dad will let that happen.
I just want him to learn how to REALLY handle a real gun. Watch the way the muzzle is always pointed, treat all weapons as if they were loaded, etc.

::tu::
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: when he gets a little older buy him a Henry .22 rifle for his birthday and teach him to shoot it. I made the mistake of letting my 16 year old grandson shoot my 45 1911. He's a good shot but went thru 2 boxes like $hit thru a goose before I shut him off. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

fergusontd wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:37 pm ::tu:: when he gets a little older buy him a Henry .22 rifle for his birthday and teach him to shoot it. I made the mistake of letting my 16 year old grandson shoot my 45 1911. He's a good shot but went thru 2 boxes like $hit thru a goose before I shut him off. ftd
Yep, I have some 22 LR ammo but my 45 ACP is getting low.
SO.... that is a good idea..... 22 lever gun is just what the Dr ordered.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That was excellent, Mike. Always good to see a child learning about firearms from sources other than video games and mass media.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 pm That was excellent, Mike. Always good to see a child learning about firearms from sources other than video games and mass media.
True!!

And thank you!!

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 pm That was excellent, Mike. Always good to see a child learning about firearms from sources other than video games and mass media.
True dat.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:15 pm We had the Grands to ourselves last weekend while mom and dad went to the beach.
That gave ole gran paw a chance to get Clark down to the shop. I was organizing a few things and he saw a S&W top break I had there in pieces.
He wanted to make himself a pistol, SO.... I gave him the parts and some tools and he went to work.
I told him where things went and how they fit together and this is the result......

IMG_6970.JPG

Not bad for a 7 year old.
He was so proud of that pistol. He carries it around all weekend and told everyone that would listen what he had done. (I made sure he left out some vital parts so it is non operational.... and it is 32S&W.)
He enjoyed that so much, he had to go do another on.... SO, we went to the shop and I found him an old Spanish Colt clone. It was a rusted POS but we cleaned it up and he put it together too.
He left our house with 2 new trophys. His mom and dad reluctantly let him take them home under the rule that they would go in dad's safe until proper gun handling could be observed.

Here is Clark, Sunday afternoon sending a few pellets down rang. (He jot one 10x...!!!)

IMG_6972.JPG

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! Good job bro!!
fergusontd wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:37 pm ::tu:: when he gets a little older buy him a Henry .22 rifle for his birthday and teach him to shoot it. I made the mistake of letting my 16 year old grandson shoot my 45 1911. He's a good shot but went thru 2 boxes like $hit thru a goose before I shut him off. ftd
Too funny!! :lol:
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Here's my new toy. Picked it up at Cabelas for $289. Fit & finish are good. It's a 2021 Pietta. They must be shipping again because I'd heard the Italian factories were hit hard by Covid.
It's an 1858 Remington Sheriff's model with 5 1/2 in barrel in .44 cal.
Attachments
20210430_132859_HDR.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That looks like it'll be fun to shoot!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That does look like a lot of fun! It's a right fine looking sidearm!
Robert E. Lee
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Byrd wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:43 pm Here's my new toy. Picked it up at Cabelas for $289. Fit & finish are good. It's a 2021 Pietta. They must be shipping again because I'd heard the Italian factories were hit hard by Covid.
Nice! I have the same model. It's probably my favorite handgun. (Aside from cleaning it) I hope yours is as enjoyable as mine has been.
Bill
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Byrd wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:43 pm Here's my new toy. Picked it up at Cabelas for $289. Fit & finish are good. It's a 2021 Pietta. They must be shipping again because I'd heard the Italian factories were hit hard by Covid.
That is really slick. I always liked the shorter 5 1/2" barrel as opposed to the too long 8 inch ones. Should be a good shooter. Do you shoot black powder or Pyrodex P ?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those are a lot of fun. I have 4 Black Powder pistols, 2 have conversion cylinders. You could pick up a conversion cylinder for yours to fire cowboy load cartridges since it's not brass framed. 😉 The problem is the cylinders cost as much as the revolver.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thanks all! I enjoy black powder pistols (and rifles). They make up for the bulk of my shooting. I cast my own projectiles and have a good stock of 777, Pyrodex and black powder. I've been working through the subs to shoot it all up so I only have to keep the black on hand. I've found that once you have a load worked up and the "fixed" sights regulated they're as accurate, if not more so than modern revolvers.

I have high hopes for this Remington. It's solid with tight lockup. I just have to go through it to polish off internal burrs before I begin load development. That's part of the fun though. The cleaning part, not so much!
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Some of you firearm collectors may enjoy this. I was an Artillery liaison and F.O. in Viet Nam in '67-'68. I was attached for five months to a MACV Advisory team of about 10 officers and enlisted guys. We worked with the National Police and local Popular Forces and Regional Forces.(Nicknamed, "Ruff-Puffs) in the village outposts in I Corps. Kind of local defenses not part of the regular ARVN. The RF/PF's were issued WW2 surplus weapons of every kind. To not appear different or superior to them we often carried the same weapons. I carried M1 rifles, M1 and M2 carbines, Thompson subs, Grease guns, B.A.R.'s, and of course 1911-45 pistols. One of my buddies had a Belgian Browning-9 mm. My favorite was a 10 ga. (Ithica) sawed-off pump, loaded with 00 buckshot. No weapon commanded more respect than that shotgun. It was totally devoid of any bluing or Parkerization from long service. I wanted to bring it home but, no way.
Being an enlisted man, I didn't know where those weapons came from, they were just there with the local forces. Additionally, there were some
European and British pieces around. We worked some with what I think were A.I.D. agents who looked like civilians, some of whom actually drove old American cars around on Rte. 1. One of those mysterious guys had Swedish "K"'s, Stens, MAS 36's, etc. in his vehicle.
That was really an experience firing those old weapons . We had armor piercing rounds for the BAR that could bust up concrete in a hurry.
I had Super-8mm film of some of that stuff but it's long gone. Maybe I can find some stills in my old pics. J.O'.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A fortunate man to have handled such a variety of old guns. ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”