Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:46 am Y'all talkin' about the Marlin 60 reminded me of a trade I made back in the early 1980's. Some how I had traded for a Marlin 60, I think they were relatively new back then, for a Winchester 67 Boy's Rifle. I took a lot of ribbing because of that trade. Why would you trade an "automatic" for a single shot? Etc...The 60 was a great little rifle but the Boy's Rifle was a prize! One of my better trades. :)
Treefarmer
If I remember correctly, the Marlin model 60 semiauto rim fire rifle was introduced in 1960. I think I have only ever owned one, but it was a great reliable rimfire.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I have an old Ward single shot I wonder who made them for Ward??
Attachments
IMG_1246.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I have an old Remington that looks an awful lot like that. It has a different style cocking knob though.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Very similar to my dads Winchester 67 also.
Bill
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A little change of pace. A little change of pace for those of you who carry concealed.

Shoot or don't shoot.
Six minute video.

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Thanks Jerry. Very good visual.
Bill
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx guys ::handshake:: I'm leaning twords Winchester.It's all about reaction time Jerry ::tu::
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

I am enjoying this .22 discussion. I know there isn't much love for Remington on this forum, but here is my "go to" .22 a 552 from the mid 70s. It just feels right in my hands and has always performed well.
Below it are a couple of old single shots. Middle is an early Winchester 67 (they got away from nickel silver on the bolt by 1944) and on bottom is a Remington Targetmaster 41, years of manufacture were 1936-1939.
Attachments
20200909_204123.jpg
Ike
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Waukonda wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:18 am I am enjoying this .22 discussion. I know there isn't much love for Remington on this forum, but here is my "go to" .22 a 552 from the mid 70s. It just feels right in my hands and has always performed well.
Below it are a couple of old single shots. Middle is an early Winchester 67 (they got away from nickel silver on the bolt by 1944) and on bottom is a Remington Targetmaster 41, years of manufacture were 1936-1939.
Looks like you have some great 22's, nothing more fun than plinking with a .22.
Ike, take me off your list of those who don't love Remingtons! Been hunting with Remington 700's since the late 60's. 1st it was 30-06 700 and then I switched over to .243 700. Prior to the 700's I had both a 742 and a 760 Remington, both in 30-06. We have a Remington 788 .243 my son used to kill his first deer as did one of our grandson's. We've got an old 870 20 ga., a model 700 50 cal. Muzzle loader and probably several more Remingtons stuck in the closet or in corner some where. :)
Talking about the Remingtons, gives me an opportunity to show off the boys pictures with the little Remington 788 .243:
My son, iron sights Remington 788 .243  (4th grade,I think)
My son, iron sights Remington 788 .243 (4th grade,I think)
Thanksgiving 2018, 12 days after Hurricane Michael, grandson with the same 788 only with a 3X9 Redfield 'scope.
Thanksgiving 2018, 12 days after Hurricane Michael, grandson with the same 788 only with a 3X9 Redfield 'scope.
Love our Remingtons along with the old Winchesters that never see the light of day.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:01 pm A little change of pace. A little change of pace for those of you who carry concealed.

Shoot or don't shoot.
Six minute video.

It's little wonder so many are leaving law enforcement. God help us!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Waukonda wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:18 am I am enjoying this .22 discussion. I know there isn't much love for Remington on this forum, but here is my "go to" .22 a 552 from the mid 70s. It just feels right in my hands and has always performed well.
Take me off that list also. I grew up on Speedmaster 22s. That 552 was the first one that was my own. Gift from my grandpa. All my shotguns are Remington. I went back to a Remington over/under for trap also because Remingtons stock and grip is the best fit for me off the shelf.
Bill
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

You can deduct me from that list too. While Big Green isn’t my first love, that’s what I grew up with. Remington is by far the most popular brand around here, and dad was a “trader”. There was always a steady stream of 870’s, 11-48’s, 1100’s, etc coming and going at our house.

My oldest has a Remington 514 that my momma gave him, it was a family gun. And I have the 70’s 1100LT with two barrels that momma bought for daddy one year in the 70’s for Christmas. I wish I had all the quail that thing has taken with a cut down 26” cyl bore barrel!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I never own one but I hunted with my buddies 1100 while he used his browning and it was a much sweeter shooter than the browning, in other word it didn't kick like mule. I wish I had the quail too neighbor, alive and roaming this ole farm. Ain't seen one in several years. ::teary_eyes:: ::handshake::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I'm on Remington fan boy status other than my Model 99 Savage I hunt with a 870 magnum,a 7400 and an 1100.I am NOT a fan of there pistols.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

From 1984 to 2019, I owned 1 count it, 1 9mm pistol. I loved the feel and balance. I loved the ease of disassembly/cleaning. I absolutely HATED the 16.8# trigger pull. :shock: So I never bought another one. Never sold it either because you never know when you might need it, however. I figured if the good old 1911 had been good enough for 70 years (how long it had been around when I bought my first 1911), why change?

Well, after many long years of being hounded by the demons at the ranges I shot at, I finally broke down and decided to buy a "new" 9mm. Now the decision was "Which one?" Well, whether it was a good way to make a decision or not, I figured that if they were good enough for 80% of all non-federal US police departments, then a Glock would be good enough for me.

So, which Glock to get? After debating with myself (and losing badly), I decided to go with the 17. Why? More rounds is always better than less rounds.

My timing is always poor, but trying to buy popular weapons during a pandemic is right up there with stupid. So, I goes to looking on the internet for someone who had one. After a couple of weeks of looking, lo and behold, one night the local Academy indicated they had one in stock. Cool.

The next morning I drove the 22 miles to the store and :shock: had to take a number and wait outside until a spot opened up at the gun counter. They were only allowing 2 people at the gun counter at a time. Got to the counter and told the clerk I saw they had a G17 on the web site last night and I wanted to buy one.

"Oh, were out of 17s - we just sold the display." Well, pooh bear.

"But we have a couple of 19s." Hhmm.

"OK, let me have a 19." Off to the gun cabinet he goes. From 30 feet away down at the cabinet he yells --

"Hey, we got a 17 in here. You want it?"

"Hell yeah." We then proceeded to do the paperwork drill, the perp walk to the front of the store, pay for it and go.

That night I decided that I wanted more than the 3 mags that came with it. So off to the interwebs I go. Found a really good deal on Glock factory mags and bought 3. An hour later, I got an email saying they were out of stock and there would be an unknown length of time before they were available, did I want to wait or cancel the order?

So off to the interwebs again. Found the next best deal for mags and ordered 3. 6 days later they arrived. It was a few days before I could get out to my range.

Loaded up all my mags and went to my range out back. The first 3 mags went great. I really liked the 17 - 5" groups out to 20 feet right out of the box and never fired before. Stuck the first "replacement mag" in, charged the weapon, took aim, pulled the trigger and NO BANG. :shock:

Pulled the slide back, let it go, aim - STILL NO BANG. Jacked the slide back - no round ejected. Did it again. Still no round ejection.

Well, damn. This mag won't feed. Crap.

Go to the next mag. Same thing. It won't feed. What the hell?? Did they send me some kind of no-name knock-off mags?

Went to the third mag. Slid the mag in. Looked into the receiver before releasing the slide.

Hey!!! The top round is way down below the chamber. WTF????

Ejected the mag and compared it to one of the 3 that came with the pistol. Damn. These new ones are too short. They only hold 15 rounds. They sent me G19 mags.

Went back in the house and looked at my on-line order. Oh pooh. SOMEONE had G19s on the brain. ::facepalm:: I had ordered G19 mags. What a maroon!!!!.

So I go online and order 3 more mags - this time making sure I clicked the correct button for G17. And go into wait mode.

3 days later I get a package in the mail. Cool. That was fast. Open it up and find 3 mags in the package. Wait, these are G19 mags. OH, pooh. This was the FIRST order of mags made that were back ordered. ::dang:: Ooopppss. SOMEONE forgot to go back to the email and cancel the order.

SOMEONE now has a G17, 6 G17 mags and 6 G19 mags. What is the prudent person to do??? ::hmm::

Well, I don't know what a prudent person would do but I did track down a G19. :mrgreen:
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 am From 1984 to 2019, I owned 1 count it, 1 9mm pistol. I loved the feel and balance. I loved the ease of disassembly/cleaning. I absolutely HATED the 16.8# trigger pull. :shock: So I never bought another one. Never sold it either because you never know when you might need it, however. I figured if the good old 1911 had been good enough for 70 years (how long it had been around when I bought my first 1911), why change?

Well, after many long years of being hounded by the demons at the ranges I shot at, I finally broke down and decided to buy a "new" 9mm. Now the decision was "Which one?" Well, whether it was a good way to make a decision or not, I figured that if they were good enough for 80% of all non-federal US police departments, then a Glock would be good enough for me.

So, which Glock to get? After debating with myself (and losing badly), I decided to go with the 17. Why? More rounds is always better than less rounds.

My timing is always poor, but trying to buy popular weapons during a pandemic is right up there with stupid. So, I goes to looking on the internet for someone who had one. After a couple of weeks of looking, lo and behold, one night the local Academy indicated they had one in stock. Cool.

The next morning I drove the 22 miles to the store and :shock: had to take a number and wait outside until a spot opened up at the gun counter. They were only allowing 2 people at the gun counter at a time. Got to the counter and told the clerk I saw they had a G17 on the web site last night and I wanted to buy one.

"Oh, were out of 17s - we just sold the display." Well, pooh bear.

"But we have a couple of 19s." Hhmm.

"OK, let me have a 19." Off to the gun cabinet he goes. From 30 feet away down at the cabinet he yells --

"Hey, we got a 17 in here. You want it?"

"Hell yeah." We then proceeded to do the paperwork drill, the perp walk to the front of the store, pay for it and go.

That night I decided that I wanted more than the 3 mags that came with it. So off to the interwebs I go. Found a really good deal on Glock factory mags and bought 3. An hour later, I got an email saying they were out of stock and there would be an unknown length of time before they were available, did I want to wait or cancel the order?

So off to the interwebs again. Found the next best deal for mags and ordered 3. 6 days later they arrived. It was a few days before I could get out to my range.

Loaded up all my mags and went to my range out back. The first 3 mags went great. I really liked the 17 - 5" groups out to 20 feet right out of the box and never fired before. Stuck the first "replacement mag" in, charged the weapon, took aim, pulled the trigger and NO BANG. :shock:

Pulled the slide back, let it go, aim - STILL NO BANG. Jacked the slide back - no round ejected. Did it again. Still no round ejection.

Well, damn. This mag won't feed. Crap.

Go to the next mag. Same thing. It won't feed. What the hell?? Did they send me some kind of no-name knock-off mags?

Went to the third mag. Slid the mag in. Looked into the receiver before releasing the slide.

Hey!!! The top round is way down below the chamber. WTF????

Ejected the mag and compared it to one of the 3 that came with the pistol. Damn. These new ones are too short. They only hold 15 rounds. They sent me G19 mags.

Went back in the house and looked at my on-line order. Oh pooh. SOMEONE had G19s on the brain. ::facepalm:: I had ordered G19 mags. What a maroon!!!!.

So I go online and order 3 more mags - this time making sure I clicked the correct button for G17. And go into wait mode.

3 days later I get a package in the mail. Cool. That was fast. Open it up and find 3 mags in the package. Wait, these are G19 mags. OH, pooh. This was the FIRST order of mags made that were back ordered. ::dang:: Ooopppss. SOMEONE forgot to go back to the email and cancel the order.

SOMEONE now has a G17, 6 G17 mags and 6 G19 mags. What is the prudent person to do??? ::hmm::

Well, I don't know what a prudent person would do but I did track down a G19. :mrgreen:

That's what I was going to say, you have to buy a 19. Duh?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

You're going to like the 19! You can get some +2 mag extenders if you just have to have two more rounds. I have some and they work fine but if you can't get the job done with 15 shots you probably won't get it done with 17 either.
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Makes sense to me. I bought a 36 cal cap and ball rather than throw $3.00 worth of wrongly purchased wads away. ::shrug:: ::facepalm::
Bill
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

samb1955 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:29 am You're going to like the 19! You can get some +2 mag extenders if you just have to have two more rounds. I have some and they work fine but if you can't get the job done with 15 shots you probably won't get it done with 17 either.
It depends on how many targets you have. In a target-rich environment, more is always better.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

If that's the case you need an AR 15 and some prayer.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

ZZ, I like the way you think. I have pistol ammonia for calibers I don’t own. I think I ought to get a gun to shoot them!!!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wayne, I'm not laughing at you, I hope I'm laughing with you. That sounds like something I would do.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Played with these this weekend :D
Attachments
IMG_1266.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Although I can't identify the caliber, I'm sure the first pistol is a big bore because of the solid, i.e. unfluted, cylinder. That variety of firearms must have generated a lot of fun.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Q'S
That's a S&W686 7" barrel 7round cylinder 357 mag.the other is a 66-1,6 round recessed cylinder with 6" barrel.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”