Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Boji »

Shooting range trip with grandson today. Sig P210. S&W 625 45acp revolver, S&W 66, the 1911 is a 22lr licensed Colt, made by Walther. the old Smith is an M&P mfg in 1911. 110 years old and shoots as good as ever.
unnamed (3).jpg
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Boji wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:17 am the old Smith is an M&P mfg in 1911. 110 years old and shoots as good as ever.
I enjoy carrying old knives on occasion, and I love seeing an old truck being driven. The same holds true for a 110-year-old gun that still sees range time.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Boji wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:17 am Shooting range trip with grandson today. Sig P210. S&W 625 45acp revolver, S&W 66, the 1911 is a 22lr licensed Colt, made by Walther. the old Smith is an M&P mfg in 1911. 110 years old and shoots as good as ever.unnamed (3).jpg
Nice bunch of firearms!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Thanks for the comments!

Just saw this fine piece, I want! Won't happen tho. Bet it would be a hoot to shoot
FN Bullpup 5.7x28 rifle
https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-ps90-standard/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Boji wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:49 pm Just saw this fine piece, I want! Won't happen tho. Bet it would be a hoot to shoot
Probably would. However, I've never been much of a rifleman (in part because I'm a cross-eyed shooter).
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Samb

Post by Samb »

Boji wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:49 pm Thanks for the comments!

Just saw this fine piece, I want! Won't happen tho. Bet it would be a hoot to shoot
FN Bullpup 5.7x28 rifle
https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-ps90-standard/
Especially if it's full auto!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Texas Gun Laws for 2021, from U.S. LawShield at https://www.uslawshield.com/potential-t ... ppressors/

I attended a class last night on the new Texas gun laws and to be honest most folks are confused right now
including me and the instructor we had. So the link I provided above will give you a short brief on the new
laws that will be effective September 1, 2021.
As I see it there will not be a lot of change in the laws for those of us with a LTC. Here are some of the changes
I see from the class and the link:

HB 1927 – Firearm Carry Act of 2021 allows the “permitless carrying” of a handgun for any individual who is 21
or older and meets all the federal and state requirements on who can or can not own a firearm.

Under the current law, Texans must pass a safety course and background check to get a license to carry. The new
permitless carry law will strip that requirement. The bill also directs the Texas Department of Public Safety to
create a free, online gun safety course, but training is no longer required to carry a handgun.

The law does not change background check requirements while purchasing a gun. Firearm purchases through
licensed gun dealers still require a background check unless the buyer has a license to carry. Gun purchases
through private sellers do not require a background check. A background check currently is required to obtain
a license to carry a handgun, meaning that after Sept. 1, a background check no longer will be required to obtain
and carry a handgun.

House Bill (HB) 2112 and Senate Bill (SB) 550, removes the specific language in state code that handguns must
be worn in a “shoulder or belt” holster, allowing individuals to utilize any type of holster. This means that visible
handguns carried in drop-leg holsters, ankle holsters, pilot rigs, dash-mounted holsters, and any other appropriate
holsters will be legal.

HB 1407 – Vehicle Carry. The law will specifically allow a person to carry a holstered handgun on either their
person or anywhere else inside the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle.

There will be new signs that businesses can choose to display such as the new 30.05 which will prohibit non-licensed
individuals but will not apply to LTC holders. If a 30.06 or 30.07 sign is displayed that will affect everyone. The Texas
“Blue Signs” have been repealed. These signs simply stated that the unlicensed possession of a weapon on the premises
is a felony.

I'm sure there will be many discussions, articles, arguments and more classes on the new laws before and after September 1st.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’m glad to see that some of y’all’s restrictions are being repealed, and I trust the murky parts will be cleared up soon. I was amazed a few years ago when I learned just how restrictive the gun laws were in Texas as compared to here. I guess all those westerns I watched as a kid warped me about “the west”.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

David, just curious, is it legal to carry switchblades/autos?
When Iowa went Constitutional Carry it included them in part because the previous permit was Permit to Carry Weapons.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Boji wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:17 pm David, just curious, is it legal to carry switchblades/autos?
When Iowa went Constitutional Carry it included them in part because the previous permit was Permit to Carry Weapons.
Boji I can strap on my sword and walk down main street with it and I'm perfectly legal. In 2017 we have removed all of the “illegal knives” in Texas law, allowing Texans the right to carry a Bowie knife, dagger and virtually any other type of knife.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:26 pm

Boji I can strap on my sword and walk down main street with it and I'm perfectly legal. In 2017 we have removed all of the “illegal knives” in Texas law, allowing Texans the right to carry a Bowie knife, dagger and virtually any other type of knife.
I knew that Texas made massive changes to knife laws then just wasn’t sure if if covered concealed carry. On a gun forum that I am a regular seems when knife questions come up I’m the one that answers
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Boji wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:45 pm
dlr110 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:26 pm

I knew that Texas made massive changes to knife laws then just wasn’t sure if if covered concealed carry. On a gun forum that I am a regular seems when knife questions come up I’m the one that answers
Boji,

Texas NEVER had a law precluding concealed carry of a knife. The only requirement was that the knife carried be legal to carry in public, i.e., off one's own property. Back in 2017, when the knife laws loosened up, that "no concealed law in effect" continue. We could simply carry anything.

The only restrictions were no knives with blades longer than 5-1/2" could be carried in the same locations where concealed handguns were prohibited from being carried, hence the term "location restricted knives".

IIRC, the latest legislative session removed some of the restricted locations from the restricted location list.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:41 pm Texas Gun Laws for 2021, from U.S. LawShield at https://www.uslawshield.com/potential-t ... ppressors/

I attended a class last night on the new Texas gun laws and to be honest most folks are confused right now
including me and the instructor we had. So the link I provided above will give you a short brief on the new
laws that will be effective September 1, 2021.
As I see it there will not be a lot of change in the laws for those of us with a LTC. Here are some of the changes
I see from the class and the link:

HB 1927 – Firearm Carry Act of 2021 allows the “permitless carrying” of a handgun for any individual who is 21
or older and meets all the federal and state requirements on who can or can not own a firearm.

Under the current law, Texans must pass a safety course and background check to get a license to carry. The new
permitless carry law will strip that requirement. The bill also directs the Texas Department of Public Safety to
create a free, online gun safety course, but training is no longer required to carry a handgun.

The law does not change background check requirements while purchasing a gun. Firearm purchases through
licensed gun dealers still require a background check unless the buyer has a license to carry. Gun purchases
through private sellers do not require a background check. A background check currently is required to obtain
a license to carry a handgun, meaning that after Sept. 1, a background check no longer will be required to obtain
and carry a handgun.

House Bill (HB) 2112 and Senate Bill (SB) 550, removes the specific language in state code that handguns must
be worn in a “shoulder or belt” holster, allowing individuals to utilize any type of holster. This means that visible
handguns carried in drop-leg holsters, ankle holsters, pilot rigs, dash-mounted holsters, and any other appropriate
holsters will be legal.

HB 1407 – Vehicle Carry. The law will specifically allow a person to carry a holstered handgun on either their
person or anywhere else inside the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle.

There will be new signs that businesses can choose to display such as the new 30.05 which will prohibit non-licensed
individuals but will not apply to LTC holders. If a 30.06 or 30.07 sign is displayed that will affect everyone. The Texas
“Blue Signs” have been repealed. These signs simply stated that the unlicensed possession of a weapon on the premises
is a felony.

I'm sure there will be many discussions, articles, arguments and more classes on the new laws before and after September 1st.
David, i'm sure certain sections of the " Media ", will have a field day. ::uc:: ::tu:: :)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Cudgee the Liberal press is already predicting Armageddon.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

dlr110 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:42 am Cudgee the Liberal press is already predicting Armageddon.
Same here. They’ll get over it. Has LE had any public statements about it?
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Boji wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:50 am
dlr110 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:42 am Cudgee the Liberal press is already predicting Armageddon.
Nothing that I know of and can quote.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Anyone have one of these?
Attachments
17 (2).jpg
AAPK Janitor
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Not me. Cool but I bet if you pointed it at a cop there would be real bullets headed your way.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Boji wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:11 pm Not me. Cool but I bet if you pointed it at a cop there would be real bullets headed your way.
::nod::
Yes Ma'am!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Very cool Dimitri - any blank gun today I’m sure has an orange tip unless it’s a movie prop ::facepalm::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Boji wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:50 am
LE expressed a number of concerns with the original version of the bill as written when it was submitted to the legislature by the State Representatives and Senators who wrote the legislation. By the time the “sausage” was made and the bill passed the concerns expressed by LE were satisfied. When all was said and done, for the most part LE organizations and individuals were supportive of the bill. Of course there are always a few…………

And the liberal press can be counted on to give them plenty of amplification, even if they have to interview hundreds to find the one.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Slight change of topic.....
How open and sharing are you regarding your ownership of firearms, hunting, and shooting sports?
This has has been a recent topic of a gun forum I'm active on.
I know many, myself included, have shared pictures and experiences here. Do you have NRA stickers on your pickup trucks? Do you wear tshirts that say Smith & Wesson or Ruger? Or 2nd Amendment rights? Do those things make you a target for "bad things"? Opinions will vary.

Myself, Locally and here I have always been open and sharing regarding my gun ownership and shooting activities. Considering I've been a firearms dealer for 30 years there is no sense in hiding it. I try to promote ownership and the shooting sports to women by being an example of that. My business FB page promotes firearms(as much as they allow!), conceal carry classes and 2nd Amendment rights. My personal page has no mention. I know any miscant online can find my business address, phone # and my first name and probably more. That is what I have to accept in today's information age.

However, away from my home turf, I become that grey person.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Boji wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:09 pm Slight change of topic.....
How open and sharing are you regarding your ownership of firearms, hunting, and shooting sports?
This has has been a recent topic of a gun forum I'm active on.
I know many, myself included, have shared pictures and experiences here. Do you have NRA stickers on your pickup trucks? Do you wear tshirts that say Smith & Wesson or Ruger? Or 2nd Amendment rights? Do those things make you a target for "bad things"? Opinions will vary.

Myself, Locally and here I have always been open and sharing regarding my gun ownership and shooting activities. Considering I've been a firearms dealer for 30 years there is no sense in hiding it. I try to promote ownership and the shooting sports to women by being an example of that. My business FB page promotes firearms(as much as they allow!), conceal carry classes and 2nd Amendment rights. My personal page has no mention. I know any miscant online can find my business address, phone # and my first name and probably more. That is what I have to accept in today's information age.

However, away from my home turf, I become that grey person.
I make no secret about my ownership of firearms and I do encourage those interested to learn and buy. I usually carry concealed but I am not against open carry by responsible folks. If I am asked, I always own up to the fact that I am carrying. At church, I carry a compact 1911 in a holster with my shirt covering it but there is a fairly obvious bulge on my hip.
I don't wear Tees or such promoting gun ownership and I do not have a 'Security by Smith & Wesson' or such type sign near my front door. No bumper stickers of any sort on my vehicles. They just promote keying of painted surfaces.
Hope this is the info you are looking for.

Ray

EDIT: I just read Treefarmer's post and it dawned on me that I failed to mention that I am also a Life Member of the NRA. I try to be careful about to whom I mention the information to about out of town trips and such. I really don't like to file the USPS form required to hold mail but I usually do that.
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Boji,
I've been a NRA Life Member since 1971 and until recently have proudly displayed a Life NRA emblem on my wife's car. My old truck isn't a problem, it's a farm/woods vehicle, however the last car we bought, I decided not to invite what Ray mentioned, "keying", because some ignoramus might want to make a statement because he doesn't understand the 2nd Amendment.
I've also shown several firearms on this forum over the years but am a bit reluctant to be as open as I once was. It is sad to have to change up what we once enjoyed doing more openly but maybe we don't need to show our hand to those that would oppose us politically or do us harm criminally. It seems the display might invite certain people to want to break the law. I had a very dear friend who was so very trusting of man kind and helpful to anyone, he would even change his answering machine message on the land line phone to say, "Sorry we aren't home, we've gone to the mountains and will be back such and such.....". He was never an object of breaking and entering but many things from his out side open-air shop went missing. ::hmm:: I feel this might carry over on the internet.
I too carry concealed at church as do several others in addition to the official security group that has been duly elected by the church, even the pastor carries when in the pulpit. I doubt a lot of members are aware of both the men and women who carry concealed in the church house.
I usually share my deer pictures each year with the forum even though there are some that don't approve of hunting.
Treefarmer

Edit: Reading further comments, I realized I had forgotten to mention NRA and AAPK caps that are worn on occasion. They are rather fancy (town hats) so they don't get the wear that my old camouflage caps or my Stetson gets when I'm working. I get more comments on the AAPK cap, folks want to know what it stands for and most already know what NRA stands for. :)

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Boji wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:09 pm How open and sharing are you regarding your ownership of firearms, hunting, and shooting sports?
I've spent much of my life in a state that is very hostile toward firearms and firearms enthusiasts, as well as a few areas where being open about firearms ownership and enthusiasm makes one a target for thieves. Therefore, I'm extremely covert about it. I'll sport my AAPK T-shirt on occasion, but nothing more than that.
USN 2000-2006

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”