Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
robpa

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by robpa »

Savage MII rimfire. Used this rifle for 100 yard shooting. Gave it to Gr son for birthday last year now borrowing back to use for 200 Yard shoots. Its quite accurate as all my Savage rimfires have been. Loves those cheap CCI standard velocity rounds. After I proved its accuracy I had it hydro dipped. I weigh all the ammo and also rim gage each one then segregate the lots for firing ./ All the different lots can be equally accurate but the group placings will be a bit different. The bipod is for plinking and varmints, they come off and we use bags or a rest for accuracy shootin. Just couldnt get a good bright photo to show the colors.
Attachments
DSCN0967.JPG
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

A very awesome old relolver! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

That is an awesome revolver Jim. Congratulations! Love the handles oddly as never even heard if them before but they look subdued for a non natural material. Interesting badge as well.
What is the icing on that one for me is the barrel stamp. Very cool old school design.

Rob, sweet rifle. Is that a Vortex scope? Regardless, can you tell me more about it?

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Jim. Found these serial number entries in my old Colt pocket guide by R. L. Wilson...

Starting SN range per year. Obviously, alludes to production numbers per year and overall.

If in fact the author's numbers are correct for a 1912' model, only 14,000 made that year.

Jerry
Attachments
20230423_093203.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

This past January I started looking at 1911's and heard of "Tisas," made in Turkey.
They're well made pistols at a bargain basement prices. They use Colt series 70 internals so parts are readily available for repair or customization.
https://tisasusa.com/

I bought these off Gunbroker for $349 to $400 each. It's been like eating potato chips, you just cant stop a one.
I'm thinking about a Tank Commander 9mm now. 🙂

Clockwise from the top, Service special 45, Duty 45 (now a 460 Rowland), Tank Commander 45, Carry 9mm (soon to be a 38 Super)
Tisas X 4.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Super sweet group Ken! Nice group. Will have to look up that manufacturer.

Today's carries...

Colt Diamondback. 38 circa 1971'
SIG SAUER P938 9MM

Jerry
Attachments
20230423_112358.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

robpa wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:26 pm Savage MII rimfire. Used this rifle for 100 yard shooting. Gave it to Gr son for birthday last year now borrowing back to use for 200 Yard shoots. Its quite accurate as all my Savage rimfires have been. Loves those cheap CCI standard velocity rounds. After I proved its accuracy I had it hydro dipped. I weigh all the ammo and also rim gage each one then segregate the lots for firing ./ All the different lots can be equally accurate but the group placings will be a bit different. The bipod is for plinking and varmints, they come off and we use bags or a rest for accuracy shootin. Just couldnt get a good bright photo to show the colors.
Looks like it has been rebarreled. What kind of barrel did you use?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Many fine firearms on this thread. A very fine quartet, Ken. In terms of quality, from what I have observed, Turkey can turn out every
thing from general knock-around guns to top-of-the-line. Some of their field pieces with their top-grade walnut are an amazing value.

Tisas is often praised by people far more expert and experienced than myself; I have never fired a Tisas. But the view of respected professionals is that Tisas produces excellent .45s. Their relatively low cost does not reflect on their quality. It is said that CNC machining is the key to their fine fit. Congratulations on roping in 4 excellent pistols any of which will lend themselves to the modifications you suggested.

Jerry, it was difficult for me to move my eyes off of your Python, an indisputably superb revolver.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Garry. It is a looker even though not really a fan of nickel plated guns. It offsets the look of it's blued twin, circa 1968'

It is actually a 4 inch Diamondback. Both of my 4 inch Diamondbacks are the most weight balanced revolvers I have ever handled.

Here is my 6 inch Colt Python, circa 1975'. Dad's gun. Lots of trigger time and memories on this firearm.

My left hip cross draw carry today. Just a feel good and capable carry like a favorite old knife.

Jerry
Attachments
20230424_091719.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Jerry, thank you for correcting me. You clearly wrote Diamondback and that is what I saw. However, when went to write my comments my mind said to itself, "Watch this little trick," and promptly conjured up the word Python. But you rewarded me anyway with a serious looking Python.
robpa

Post by robpa »

Yep, Vortex 6-24x50 scope. I use the same scope in a 30mm tube on the CZ.
Its 100% savage outta the box. Rebarreling would be a waste of money on this shooter. I dont ever really scrub the barrels, just drag a snake thru whenever accuracy starts to fade. Some of these rimfires like to be cleaned really good, some dont. but Ive had em where they needed half a box of fouling shots to shoot well again. I think I ran thru around 30 different types and brands of ammo before I found the right 1 , for each rifle. Only 1 that liked that 25$ a box stuff was the Anschutz. Most have liked the CCI standard velocity best.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

If that is the worst thing you do today Garry, you are good my friend. Thanks for the compliments. That Python, as I have posted about in the past, has so much history in my life. Great firearm with so many memories with my Dad. I would eat dirt before I ever let it go. Take care my friend.

Thanks Rob. Vortex is it for me. Own about 10. Only scope I use. Quality and their support department is phenomenal.
I have the Vortex Razor HD AMG 8-32 MOA FFP. This bought when first offered 5 or so years ago. 12 month wait I was told as it was a brand new product. LGS calls next day and said they found one. Only Vortex scope made in USA at that time. German glass. Dope scope and return to zero is dead on. Amazing. Mounted on a SIG SSG3000 in .308/7.62. $2500 at the time, now 4 or 5 grand. On par with Nightforce according to guys that get paid to shoot for a living...

Jerry
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

zp4ja wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:41 pm Hey Jim. Found these serial number entries in my old Colt pocket guide by R. L. Wilson...

Starting SN range per year. Obviously, alludes to production numbers per year and overall.

If in fact the author's numbers are correct for a 1912' model, only 14,000 made that year.

Jerry
Thank you sir!
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

New-to-me birth year gun arrived today at the front door (another purchase using my C&R license)

made in 1955 Remington 514 single shot .22 s/l/lr w/24.75” barrel

Very pleased… in excellent condition and was inexpensive

Looking forward to some plinking at the range
IMG_3091.jpeg
IMG_3092.jpeg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

MadeinUSA wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:06 pm New-to-me birth year gun arrived today at the front door (another purchase using my C&R license)

made in 1955 Remington 514 single shot .22 s/l/lr w/24.75” barrel

Very pleased… in excellent condition and was inexpensive

Looking forward to some plinking at the range

IMG_3091.jpegIMG_3092.jpeg
Those old Remingtons are slick, wish I had one.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

zp4ja wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:27 pm Thanks Garry. It is a looker even though not really a fan of nickel plated guns. It offsets the look of it's blued twin, circa 1968'

It is actually a 4 inch Diamondback. Both of my 4 inch Diamondbacks are the most weight balanced revolvers I have ever handled.

Here is my 6 inch Colt Python, circa 1975'. Dad's gun. Lots of trigger time and memories on this firearm.

My left hip cross draw carry today. Just a feel good and capable carry like a favorite old knife.

Jerry
Beautiful! ::tu::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

zp4ja wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:41 pm Hey Jim. Found these serial number entries in my old Colt pocket guide by R. L. Wilson...

Jerry
Yep… made in 1912 here’s the serial number…
IMG_3121.jpeg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks for the compliment Ken. I would eat dirt before I let go of it.

The little Colt serial number book is awesome, Jim.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

SIG SAUER P220 5" SA/DA "Reverse Two Tone" with Hogue Piranha grips (like a dull cheese grater. It ain't slipping out of your hands for sure)

10MM. Weighs 44 ounce loaded. Don't mind the just shy of 3 pound weight on my hip personally. Formidable firearm.

My carry today.

Jerry
Attachments
20230429_075411.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Trying some 22 LR 40gr solids in the Bond Rawhide Derringer. Target shown was at 5 yards. Note how the majority are impacting the target as keyholes while tumbling. The 2 and 1/2" barrel doesn't stabilize them very well. Oh well, call it enhanced stopping power for the 22 LR round. Will try some 32 gr Stingers and 29 gr Federal Punch next time.
IMG_5180.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

My two mini 3" 1911 controls slide guns. Same controls as 1911 minus the grip safety. Love these little SIGs as backup and at times primary. Mainly as a backup firearm. Normally carry the 9MM.

Top: SIG SAUER P938 9MM 3 inch barrel.
Bottom: SIG SAUER P238 .380 3 inch barrel.
Both have Hogue Piranha grips which I am a huge fan of.

Both feel great in hand for a guy with big hands/ little firearm. Carry cocked, locked and ready to rock.

Jerry
Attachments
20230430_163840.jpg
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

zp4ja wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm My two mini 3" 1911 controls slide guns. Same controls as 1911 minus the grip safety. Love these little SIGs as backup and at times primary. Mainly as a backup firearm. Normally carry the 9MM.

Top: SIG SAUER P938 9MM 3 inch barrel.
Bottom: SIG SAUER P238 .380 3 inch barrel.
Both have Hogue Piranha grips which I am a huge fan of.

Both feel great in hand for a guy with big hands/ little firearm. Carry cocked, locked and ready to rock.

Jerry
Nice looking pistolas! ::tu::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Jim.

They are very cool , functional compact 1911 guns. I know I may get booed but I like these little ones. Quality and superb.

Jerry
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

zp4ja wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:01 am Thanks Jim.

They are very cool , functional compact 1911 guns. I know I may get booed but I like these little ones. Quality and superb.

Jerry
I carry a similar size…. a Kimber Micro-9 Nighthawk and I put CT laser grips on it

I travel light
IMG_2599.jpeg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

NICE Jim!

I like light but don't mind heavy depending on situation or where I am going.
I am an over-doer on many things and preparedness is one of those.
Rather have and not need than need and not have. Hence the full size P220 10 MM I posted a couple posts up.

Jerry

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”