Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Colonel26 »

That’s one fine looking piece of walnut!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

You would have thought that I had my pick from dozens of rifles to hand pick walnut like that. The fore arm is figured just like the stock. Actually I bought the last one that Cabelas had. I will report after I have a chance to get out to the range.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Very nice Henry OC. If you decide to try a 405 grain bullet I’ll share two good loads with you - a lead bullet “pleasure load” as John Taffin calls them, and a jacketed bullet “business load” (hog and bear load). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Old Hunter wrote:Very nice Henry OC. If you decide to try a 405 grain bullet I’ll share two good loads with you - a lead bullet “pleasure load” as John Taffin calls them, and a jacketed bullet “business load” (hog and bear load). OH
I will be shooting 300 grain, a 300 gr. Hornady HP full power load, and a 300gr. cast lead bullet loaded with smokeless powder but at black powder velocities. I have some H4895 on hand to try first, and run over the chronograph. What kind of 45/70 do you have?
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...that's a winner!!!...I'm sold 0n the HENRY'S!!...I have the .44-40 original repro and I'd rather shoot it than eat!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ................
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

OC, I own a Marlin 1895 levergun. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Old Hunter wrote:OC, I own a Marlin 1895 levergun. OH

Oh man! I bet that’s a nice one!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

As a follow up with the Henry 45/70 single shot rifle, I was finally able, after a long period of rain and cold, to get out to the range a couple of times for sight in and load testing. I have a load for the 300 grain Hornady HP that chronographs at 2021 FPS. The stock sights are hard to see (for me), a U notch rear and a brass bead front. I have been looking around for a peep or other sight to use on the Henry and have found the Skinner peep at http://www.skinnersights.com. Brownells also has a variety of long range sights including a Smith Enterprise folding ladder type sight.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:As a follow up with the Henry 45/70 single shot rifle, I was finally able, after a long period of rain and cold, to get out to the range a couple of times for sight in and load testing. I have a load for the 300 grain Hornady HP that chronographs at 2021 FPS. The stock sights are hard to see (for me), a U notch rear and a brass bead front. I have been looking around for a peep or other sight to use on the Henry and have found the Skinner peep at http://www.skinnersights.com. Brownells also has a variety of long range sights including a Smith Enterprise folding ladder type sight.
Be sure and get us a photo when you settle on a site and get it installed. ::nod::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

OLDE CUTLER,
Being old man, I'd recommend putting a scope on that baby so you can see what you're shootin' at! ::poke:: Those single shot Henry's are all drilled and tapped so you wouldn't be altering the rifle. I suppose it depends on what you intend to do with the rifle what sight you put on it but in my book nothing beats a quality scope to allow us retirees to hit the target be it a paper target or Bambi.
Just my 2 cents worth. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Nice morning at the range yesterday. It's been a while since I've slung some lead.
IMG_4586.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Nice .45, is it a Ruger and if so how do you like it?
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I was going to ask the same question as samb, tho I can see it is a Ruger. I've heard good things about their .45. What has been your experience?
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

No experience on that .45 but I had a p90 ithink ,45 qwite a few years back. A p90 9mm and a couple mini 14's and there were no complaint on any rugers from me.
KnifeSlinger#81

The ruger has been an excellent 1911 for the price. It has been extremely reliable in the 1500 or so rounds I've put through it and has been a real pleasure to own and shoot.
-Paul T.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

treefarmer wrote:OLDE CUTLER,
Being old man, I'd recommend putting a scope on that baby so you can see what you're shootin' at! ::poke:: Those single shot Henry's are all drilled and tapped so you wouldn't be altering the rifle. I suppose it depends on what you intend to do with the rifle what sight you put on it but in my book nothing beats a quality scope to allow us retirees to hit the target be it a paper target or Bambi.
Treefarmer
I probably won't put a scope on it for a couple of reasons. Since I had cataract surgery a few years back, I can actually see open sights fairly well. The target below was shot at 100 yards with the stock open top rear sight and the 300 grain Hornady bullet, which as you can see, I tend to string vertically. I will probably go to a peep sight which will take away the vertical stringing and would make that group below much better (about 1 1/2" or so). Another reason is safety. The Henry single shot is a light weight piece, and the 45/70 recoil is noticeable. I have never had it happen to me, but I have seen people shooting heavy recoiling rifles with scopes on them get eyebrow cuts that can be nasty. The last time I saw this was a couple of years ago at the gunclub. A fellow on the bench next to me got a cut above the right eye from the scope that required 10 stitches at the ER to close up.
IMG_2937.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OH, at 100 yards and open sights, that looks pretty good. ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Just a few photo's I took with my CCW and my recent pawn shop pick-ups.
SOG, Camillus, Uncle Henry and Winchester.
IMG_20190531_145937.jpg
IMG_20190531_145937.jpg (48.12 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
IMG_20190531_150122.jpg
IMG_20190531_150122.jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
IMG_20190531_150234.jpg
IMG_20190531_150234.jpg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
IMG_20190531_150429.jpg
IMG_20190531_150429.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Quick Steel wrote:I was going to ask the same question as samb, tho I can see it is a Ruger. I've heard good things about their .45. What has been your experience?
I can’t answer for KS, but I carry a Ruger 1911CMD every day. It’s the commander size, 45acp, and it’s dead on reliable and more accurate than I can make use of. I can’t say enough good about mine. The only negative I’ve found is that the front strap is not checkered and the rosewood grips that come with it feel like you’re wearing a cheese grater on your side if you carry iwb. So I put these Hogue wrap around son mine and I love them.

For the record, I also have a Kimber ultra carry 45acp. I wouldn’t trade the Ruger for two Kimbers.
70444C0A-5EED-447D-A0DB-C97269015BF9.jpeg
C3C67C20-F167-41E8-9C46-85A7CC3B37B3.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Nice morning at the range yesterday. It's been a while since I've slung some lead.

IMG_4586.JPG
Is yours the Commander size or the government size?
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

OLDE CUTLER, I thought you said you couldn't see the sights? ::poke:: Ol' Bambi would be in trouble with that group aimed at his shoulder. I think one of those in .243 would be great to play with. I had to look back at the picture you posted and drool over the wood, again. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KnifeSlinger#81

Colonel26 wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Nice morning at the range yesterday. It's been a while since I've slung some lead.

IMG_4586.JPG
Is yours the Commander size or the government size?
Government.
-Paul T.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

treefarmer wrote:OLDE CUTLER, I thought you said you couldn't see the sights? ::poke:: Ol' Bambi would be in trouble with that group aimed at his shoulder. I think one of those in .243 would be great to play with. I had to look back at the picture you posted and drool over the wood, again. ::tu::
Treefarmer
Every time I go to the range with the Henry, I have to wipe drool off the stock when other shooters ask to look at it.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
treefarmer wrote:OLDE CUTLER,
Treefarmer
I probably won't put a scope on it for a couple of reasons. Since I had cataract surgery a few years back, I can actually see open sights fairly well. The target below was shot at 100 yards with the stock open top rear sight and the 300 grain Hornady bullet, which as you can see, I tend to string vertically. I will probably go to a peep sight which will take away the vertical stringing and would make that group below much better (about 1 1/2" or so). Another reason is safety. The Henry single shot is a light weight piece, and the 45/70 recoil is noticeable. I have never had it happen to me, but I have seen people shooting heavy recoiling rifles with scopes on them get eyebrow cuts that can be nasty. The last time I saw this was a couple of years ago at the gunclub. A fellow on the bench next to me got a cut above the right eye from the scope that required 10 stitches at the ER to close up.

IMG_2937.JPG
Ahh OC, this infamous "scope kiss" as we refer to it. I have had a very minor cut from one. I have seen some pretty good cuts and associated instant "monkey bump" in severe instances. Likely not going to lose an eye or anything. Pretty rare occurrence from my experience.
I would guesstimate average "eye relief" on a scope is roughly 2-1/2" to 3-1/2". Only time I have seen this happen (and also in my instance) was from a very loose hold on the rifle. IE: Rifle not firmly in shoulder crotch and un-square loose shoulder position/ hold.
I was on bench at range with a real loose hold. Also did not steady my shoulder for the anticipated recoil.
To each his own and I respect that. Pretty good shooting for open sights at 100 yards for sure..
Not much game here in the desert that is shot at less than 200 yards
Could be a 400 or 500 yard shot. My old eyes just are not up to that anymore without a good scope, not to mention bullet drop and windage calculation at that distance.
Beautiful rifle by the way. Enjoy in good health and safe shooting.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

dlr110 wrote:Just a few photo's I took with my CCW and my recent pawn shop pick-ups.
SOG, Camillus, Uncle Henry and Winchester.
Hey David,

Second revolver pic looks like a Taurus Judge (can't enlarge pic to be sure). Is that correct?

I carry a Smith & Wesson Governor at times. Usually as a backup carry but sometimes primary/ sole carry. It is my avatar pic. I have a pretty cool leather 6 spare shots shell holder I pack when I carry it.
I love the fact the Governor can shoot three different cartridges, .410, 45 Cowboy Colt and .45 Auto (with full six, three or two round moon clips). Mix and match of all three if desired.
Devastating gun. I posted a silhouette target here a few years back from 21 feet. 3 rounds of 000 buckshot and 3 Winchester Defender rounds with steel discs and 12 BBs..
God forbid ever need to use it but looking at that target, no surgeon on the planet was going to patch that up.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”