Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Steve Warden

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Steve Warden »

Took my Henry 22 (Frontier model) out to the Ft. Dix range.
(How many of you guys went through Dix?)
Only the second time I've had it out.
On the bench rest elevation seemed okay, but looks like impact is a tad right. A pretty stiff wind of 16-18 mph was blowing left to right, so I don't know how much drift that was causing.
Henry recommends a brass rod and small hammer to adjust the sights left-right. I'll have to see what I can find for the next outing.
Oh, that top left was freehand, 25 yards. Yup, wore the AF Marksmanship ribbon proudly on my blues!
20190614_145953.jpg
20190614_152205.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
mikek

Post by mikek »

I went through Ft. Dix, Aug. 75 E-1-3 Basic Training. Been to the ranges had to March from the barricks both ways. It must have been miles. To be young again. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. ::nod::. Mike
I pay extra for patina
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Quick Steel,

My wife's night stand gun is this Colt Detective Special with Hogue grips. Her Dad gave it to her years ago.

The other pic is with the faux pearl grips that were on it when he gave it to her. They are quite a bit smaller than the Hogue grips, and may work better for smaller hands.
Attachments
Colt Detective Special.jpg
Colt Detective Special 1.JPG
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Steve Warden wrote:Yup, wore the AF Marksmanship ribbon proudly on my blues!
Steve, what was the Air Force Qualification regime?

In the early to mid '60s, the Marine Corps was 50 rounds, 5 points per round.

200 yard line.
10 rounds slow fire, off hand.
10 rounds rapid fire. Sitting

300 yard line.
5 rounds slow fire, kneeling
5 rounds slow fire, sitting
10 rounds rapid fire, prone position

500 yard line.
10 rounds slow fire, prone position

For a total of 250 possible.
220 was Expert
210 was Sharpshooter
190 was Marksman
Below 190 was non-qual

You were supposed to qualify once a year. My first time was in Boot Camp of course, on 17Aug62 on the "A" course and I shot 220 on the nose for Expert. Because of duty stations and school, the next time I qualified was 9Dec64 on the "B" course (every thing from the 200 & 300 yard line) at MCAS Cherry Point NC. I qualified 239 Expert. The last time I qualified was 2Apr65 at Cherry Point 2Apr65 again on the "A" course this time. I qualified 224 Expert.
Weapons Firing Record.jpg
Pretty dadgummed proud of that. Since every Marine is a rifleman, no matter what your MOS, qualification in the Corps is a pretty big deal.
Attachments
Expert with Third Award.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Unk, thanks for the photos. While I like Hogue grips your assessment is like mine, i.e. they will make the grip a bit too large for her. The older style grips of the lower photo will be easier for her.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Jerry, Congratulations on your rifle skills. In Basic at Ft. Polk-Tigerland, I qualified as expert along with 4 others out of a 115 man company. I repeatedly maintained that classification for my 5 years in the Army. But after Basic with the M-14 it was always with the M-16. I qualified expert with everything else I was tested on: M-60, M85 .50 cak, main tank gun 105 mm. and so forth. I seem to have pulled a muscle just now patting myself on the back so I better fess up to the one weapon I never scored expert with. That would be the .45 pistol. Reached Sharpshooter but never got to Expert. Natually I have many excuses: we fired single handed; received almost no range time; fired once for familiarization then tested.

I wonder if you ever got to fire the .45 cal "Grease gun/Burp gun." We carried those in our tanks in Germany. A lot of fun to shoot. During my advisor's training at Ft. Bragg I had the opportunity to fire a wide variety of weapons, many Soviet, Chinese, European like some nice Cech heavy machine guns. Those were some fun days.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dang Garry, that all sounds like fun. Congratulations on your skills. I'm impressed. My Waterloo was the M-14 grenade launcher. Good thing I wasn't a Grunt. We fam-fired the BAR in ITR and that old girl was a hoot to shoot. We were cutting the stakes in two that they had the targets attached to and they were not happy with us.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Jerry, I'm not one for remembering numbers, all I know is that I qualified high enough in Basic Training to earn my Marksmanship ribbon. We were firing the M16 modified to shoot .22LR.

Funny story to go along with that ribbon. We were down to our last 2-3 days of training, in formation decked out in our blues (fortunately no jacket and tie - early September down near San Antonio). I had started dipping Skoal while down there, to the point that with a small pinch, I could swallow the juice and not have to spit. Well, I had a pinch in at the time, forbidden in formation. From where I was near the rear of the formation on the outside column, the TI catches my eye. He strolls on back and asks me, "Airman Warden, whatcha got there?" I figured here was talking about the pinch I had, but I wasn't going to give in. "Excuse me, Sir?" I asked quizzically. "There on your chest. What's that ribbon?" I answered a bit proud, "That's my Marksmanship ribbon, Sir." He came back, "You know you have that thing on upside down?" I looked down at it, then back to him, "Sir?" "Cochran, (Cochran wasn't the brightest bulb) is Airman Warden's ribbon on upside down?" Cochran eyeballed it for a few seconds, then said, "Oh, yes, Sir. It's upside down." The TI came back, "You dipstick, you can't put those on upside down." He turned and went back to the front. I never swallowed the pinch or spit out, but to this day I swear he knew I had it and he wanted to see what I'd do with it. Had he wanted, he could have called me on it and had me recycled (sent back to repeat weeks of training).

I hit marksman again when I had to qualify before going over to Germany. While there, they considered me for currier duty, and I qualified as marksman again, though I was never called on for that duty.
The last time I had to shoot was to qualify again simply because it had been awhile since I last shot. This was at Dix. Storms were brewing that day, and in the middle of shooting the skies opened up. I mean it POURED! I'm laying prone in a rut that's filling up to about six inches deep. "THEY AIN'T GONNA CALL OFF THE FIGHTING JUST BECAUSE OF A LITTLE RAIN!" bellows the range officer. I'm trying to wipe water out of my eyes and blow the rain out of the peep sites, and still get all my shots off before cease fire. All said and done, I qualified, but missed marksman by less than five points, I believe.

As an Avionics Technician, fixing aircraft, we weren't required annual qualification.

My brother was an Air Force range instructor down in Shreveport, LA. He took me out and I was going to try for a star on my ribbon that signified dual qualification, M16 and 9 Mil. We got started and a few folks showed up so I had to cut the session short, missing out on my star. Oh, well.

I kinda miss my AF days *sigh*
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Steve how did the AF arrange their award classifications? In the Army, in ascending order, it went Marksman, to Sharpshooter, to Expert.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Jerry, Fortunately I never had to fire a grenade off an M-14. By my time we were using the M-79 grenade launcher, a highly accurate piece. But perhaps someday I'll get around to telling the story of some NVA who could use the old rifle launched grenades with impressive skill.
I got to fire the BAR; I found it a bit heavy tho there is no question it was a formidable weapon. I remember that it was a great favorite of the older NCOs who had actually used it in combat. They all had great stories about it. Talk about serious training, designated BAR troops were taught and had to master replacing the firing pin while in the assault!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Quick Steel wrote:Steve how did the AF arrange their award classifications? In the Army, in ascending order, it went Marksman, to Sharpshooter, to Expert.
I don't recall, actually, I don't think they did, but the Marksmanship Ribbon is also known as the Small Arms Expert ribbon.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very interesting. Of course the role of the Air Force is so different from that of us ground pounders, that I'm sure there are countless differences. But I think you have a special group for air-base defence who got mission specific training. I remember them in watch towers and in armored cars patrolling the perimeter around Phang Rang airbase.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

No doubt the ABGD (air base ground defense) folks were substantially more intense with their training. In Basic Training it didn't matter if you were going to push papers, fix planes or hand out basketballs at the rec center, everyone had a rifle put in their hands and had to shoot.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

zp4ja wrote:
Old Hunter wrote:My Winchester M88 (308 WIN) made meat just before sunrise yesterday morning; this young buck was chasing a doe all over a big beanfield. She ran into the woods and he stopped to peer in, 212 yards (pretty close to the powerline tower) from my stand. The handloaded 165 grain Hornady Interlock went through his lungs. If you look closely at the bottom of the first picture you can see where his rear hooves dug into the ground at the shot and the blood patches left on the leaves with each step. He was about 40 yards into the woods from the edge. OH
Very cool OH my friend! Fine shot and ethical harvest. I really like those Interlock from Hornady. That is all I use at the moment for big game. I harvested my antelope and mule deer this year with .30-06 150 grain Interlocks. Blew the heart out on my buck and he took exactly 0 steps after I hit him. Never found the bullet as I would like to see the expansion on it. If you ever happen to recover a bullet after you smack a deer with an Interlock I would love to see a picture of one.

Merry Christmas Sir! Regards, Jerry
Jerry, I had forgotten this conversation, but I finally recovered a Hornady Interlock (165 Grain SP) from a big doe this past season. I cut it out of her fat, just under the hide where it was balled up and cleaned it (sitting on my "recipe" page - been shooting this bullet loaded with IMR4064 for years). OH
Attachments
OSHC 12-18-18 308 WIN - M88 Winchester.jpg
OSHC 12-18-18 bullet in deer.jpeg
OSHC 12-18-18 bullet recoverd.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Cool stuff Bruce. Thanks for showing that. Looks like pretty good expansion for the original bullet design

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I just bought a Bretta Bobcat 21 in 22 LR. Great little gun for conceal carry, $300.
ftd
Bretta  Bobcat 21
Bretta Bobcat 21
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I picked up this little dandy this past weekend. It is a Colt Officers Model. I sure like the size and the feel.

Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_7424.JPG
1-IMG_7426.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Sweet Colt. I've always preferred these smaller frame .45s. For me, the balance is so greatly improved resulting in faster, better, handling.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

How does that Colt shoot?
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

samb1955 wrote:How does that Colt shoot?
I haven't done that yet but I'll post again when I have a chance to fire it.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Does the Colt have a steel frame or aluminum? It's a looker!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Steel frame.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

A classic, Ray and a two tone to boot. Nice. ::tu::
steve99f
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Classic!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Admins, please move if this post is in wrong forum / thread, or delete if inappropriate.

Ammomen https://www.ammomen.com/ is very small family owned business that sells ammunition. A few years ago when ammo was really hard to find, especially .22LR, these guys had some AND they didn't jack the price up like many other sellers did. Anyway, I happen to be on their email list and got a notice that they are currently unable to complete transactions for their customers because their credit card processor First Data/Card Connect https://www.firstdata.com/en_us/home.html, without notice, stopped processing their credit card transactions because they "don't like guns and ammunition". Anyone who uses First Data solutions to process credit card transaction and sells guns, ammo, knives, or any other "trigger" items might want to proactively seek another processor.

For reference, the full letter from Ammomen is below in case you read this far and might want to read more.

As you may be aware, we have been unable to process your orders since last Tuesday at 5:00 p.m.

Tuesday afternoon our credit card processor exited our contract and closed our feed. What this means is that at 5:00 p.m. we were no longer able to sell ammo. No warning, no explanation. Just shut down.

When we finally got through to someone at the processing center to find out what was going on, their response was "We don't like guns and ammo." We requested a 30-90 day extension so that we might have time to find a 2nd amendment friendly processor. They categorically denied an extension. We can only speculate what sparked their decision.

This is the first time we at Ammomen have been directly affected by a nonsensical liberal decision. Our choices at this point are to accept the restrictions being placed upon us, or to double down on our 2nd amendment freedoms.

We are doubling down!

We have been in contact with a handful of 2nd amendment friendly processors and hope to be back up and running within the next week.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you, our customers, and our suppliers, but we promise to return to operation as soon as possible.

In the mean time, if you do business with First Data/Card Connect, please know that it appears they are not friendly towards 2nd amendment businesses.

We will send another email shortly to announce we are ready to process your orders.

God Bless,
Your Ammomen Family
Where we value Faith, Family and FREEDOM!

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”