Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
steve99f

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by steve99f »

Bill

Did your grandpa use off road tires on that LTD? :D

That sounds like serious fun.
steve99f
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

steve99f wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:35 pm Bill

Did your grandpa use off road tires on that LTD? :D

That sounds like serious fun.
Sho' nuff does!
Sounds like something we would do "back in the day".
Me and my Dad used to walk the fields and "dispatch" varmints back in the day. My grandmother had an especially bad problem with rabbits eating up her garden. Those pests got put in the freezer and later fried up with rice and beans.
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Probably just left the mud and snows on the back. It had the 390 4 brrl in it. It was a blast. I remember him getting a warning in the mid 70's for having a loaded 22 rifle on the dash. He ask the deputy "What the hell good was an empty gun in the trunk going to do? :lol: Different generation than nowadays for sure.
Bill
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:14 pm Since y'all are talking about shotguns, sometime in my mid-30s I bought a Winchester Mod. 1200 for home defense. I took it to my ex-brother-in-law who owned a machine shop in partnership with a buddy of his and had him whack the barrel off to 18.5". I kept it on the bed frame down between the box springs and the side rail.
I bought a Winchester 1200 in the late 1960’s and still have it. It was what I could afford at the time and it’s been, and still is, a great all around shotgun. For years it was my only shotgun. I hand checkered the grip and forearm (mostly out of boredom I guess - it certainly didn’t increase the value.) ::facepalm:: Used for ducks, dove, quail, rabbits, squirrels, armadillo, whatever. I’ve had others since, and long ago changed my preference to 20 ga. for most hunting, but the model 1200 sits loaded with number 4 shot, ready when needed. Most of the action it sees nowadays is armadillos and squirrels.

FWIW, I’ve never slept with it. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I keep a Remington 870 by the bed with 3" steel goose loads in it. I pitty the fool on the wrong end of that, if I don't shoot my foot off first shot.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:38 pm
FWIW, I’ve never slept with it. :lol:

Ken
Uhhhhh..... RIGHHHHHHHHTTTT.

:lol:
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Permit for my pistol approved and in hand.
Now to set up appointment with the gun shop and pick one out.
Theeeeeeennnnnn...gotta wait for the Base Commander to open up the range.

Cheap shooting at Range-14.
Military membership is $30 for the year, $4 an hour.
General Public membership is $70, $4 an hour.
www.range-14.com

The range has free access, no military gate to go through, even though it is part of Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst (JBMDL). So if you're not too far out and looking for a cheaper place to shoot...
And if you do come out, drop me a note. Maybe I can meet you there.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Steve Warden wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 pm Permit for my pistol approved and in hand.

www.range-14.com

The range has free access, no military gate to go through, even though it is part of Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst (JBMDL). So if you're not too far out and looking for a cheaper place to shoot...
An even cheaper place to shoot, my buddy's back yard. You just can't beat free. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:21 pm
An even cheaper place to shoot, my buddy's back yard. You just can't beat free. :mrgreen:
Oh, sure, I could shoot for free in my backyard, too.
It would only cost me bail, fines, court fees, lawyer charges, criminal activity on my record... :lol:
In my case CHEAP is less costly than FREE. :D
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Steve Warden wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:25 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:21 pm
Oh, sure, I could shoot for free in my backyard, too.
It would only cost me bail, fines, court fees, lawyer charges, criminal activity on my record... :lol:
In my case CHEAP is less costly than FREE. :D
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping::

Well, my buddy does have five wooded acres out in the country.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Hoarders are at it again, I went to my local gunshop to purchase small pistol primers to reload a batch of 38/357 ammo and they had NONE. I ask for my usual of Winchester or CCI, and even my 3rd choice of Federal. NONE. Then the guy working the counter says, "wait a minute, we just got some in". He disappears and in a few minutes re appears with a carton of 1000 small pistol primers in hand. These are made by Tulammo, made in Russia. So as I dont have too many options, I buy them. Tula arsenal in Russia makes millions of rounds of cheap ammo, usually in steel cartridge cases, in 9mm, 223 Rem. and many others. So far, so good. I have shot a hundred rounds loaded with the Tulammo small pistol primers, and so far all of them have gone BANG! I cannot ever remember at any previous time in my life buying a Russian made product.
IMG_3689.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Same here... I have been having a hard time finding small pistol primers. (Reloading the same rounds as you)
Every time America's butt puckers it causes a gun / ammo shortage. I guess I'll just have to 'bide my time.
:?
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

The "secret" is to stock up when nobody's mad! I've got enough 5.56, 9mm, .38 Special, 357 Mag & 45ACP, 22LR plus primers & powder to last for many years.

A couple years ago I had a knee replaced so I ordered a LOT of bullets, primers & powder. I went to PT and sat at my reloading bench all winter. I'm glad now that I did.

We were in Cabelas a couple weeks ago and they had no common pistol or rifle powders and a very small selection of guns.

The only thing I'm lite of is 12 gauge and that's what lives by my bed.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep....
I was stupid. I THOUGHT I had plenty of primers until I started looking. I have plenty of everything EXCEPT SPPs...
I can even handle the shotgun reloading. (reminds me.....I need to get to casting some buck shot)
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Steve Warden wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 pm Permit for my pistol approved and in hand.

www.range-14.com

Congrats Steve on the jersey permit ::tu:: ya know bud up here in Maine we shoot for free :shock: and no range officer ::hmm::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

If you fellas need stuff that's hard to find just shoot me a PM. I hit the flea markets and pawn shops frequently....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Yesterday the boys and I did some 22 rifle shooting at the high tech state of the art local gun range, aka the back yard, spring at some real fancy targets, Coke bottles. I told them they could get any 22 they wanted off of the 22 rack and here’s what they chose. I wish I’d thought to get better pics.

Savage Little Rascal
Savage MkII left handed
Remington 514
Marlin 781
And I had my trusty Marlin 39M

We had a ball.
EF5E07A3-85F0-4419-9A19-259C1EFE8088.jpeg
FC9362DA-6025-4355-B42F-002BFF477251.jpeg
881769E2-07C7-4CE0-A2A6-ABE47933D9BE.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Colonel, you posted your .22's while I was sorting out my pictures. Shooting with your boys is hard to beat! I always enjoyed it with our children and now it is with grandboys when they visit!
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:28 pm Hoarders are at it again, I went to my local gunshop to purchase small pistol primers to reload a batch of 38/357 ammo and they had NONE. I ask for my usual of Winchester or CCI, and even my 3rd choice of Federal. NONE. Then the guy working the counter says, "wait a minute, we just got some in". He disappears and in a few minutes re appears with a carton of 1000 small pistol primers in hand. These are made by Tulammo, made in Russia. So as I dont have too many options, I buy them. Tula arsenal in Russia makes millions of rounds of cheap ammo, usually in steel cartridge cases, in 9mm, 223 Rem. and many others. So far, so good. I have shot a hundred rounds loaded with the Tulammo small pistol primers, and so far all of them have gone BANG! I cannot ever remember at any previous time in my life buying a Russian made product.

IMG_3689.JPG
I made a trade with a brother-in-law and he included 2 boxes of 9mm rounds by the same name as the primers, Tulammo. I was surprised to see the name, Tulammo mentioned in Olde Cutler's post. B-i-l also threw in a box of 22 shorts from Russia along with 2 boxes of Blazer 9mm and a couple of boxes of .177 pellets since I told him I had an old Crosman American Classic pistol.
I asked him how he came by the Russian ammo, he said it was when everything was bought up in a panic, this was all that was available at the time.
004.JPG
I was surprised when my brother-in-law then gave me 2 rifles. One I had tried to trade for years ago with no success and the other I had seen once before. One is a Stevens 416 22 Long Rifle, a gov't training rifle from the 1940's. It appears to be in good shape, it has the Parkerized finish, complete with original sights. The other rifle is missing some pieces, he didn't know who made it and said for me to take it along with the Stevens. I believe it is probably a Folbert, a Belgium made rifle from the late 1800's. It is a wall hanger for sure. These were listed in the Sears catalogs of that era for less than $2.00 with a warning from Sears not to buy it if you need a reliable rifle.
This is the Stevens 416, it weighs about 11 pounds!
This is the Stevens 416, it weighs about 11 pounds!
Adjustable sight
Adjustable sight
Front sight and the "Bull barrel" making it so heavy
Front sight and the "Bull barrel" making it so heavy
Another view of the rear sight, notice the "U.S.Property" stamp.
Another view of the rear sight, notice the "U.S.Property" stamp.
The "assumed" Folbert 22, no marking other than a proof stamp
The "assumed" Folbert 22, no marking other than a proof stamp
I swabbed the barrel on the Stevens and it is bright and shiny. Should be interesting to shoot. There was a civilian model of this rifle, made later, it was blued. It appears both civilian and military were tapped for scope mounts of some description.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That Savage is real nice! I love 22's from that era. And those sights are extra nice!

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow of my 1936 Marlin model 80 with steel butt plate and military finger groove stock. It and your Stevens would get along real well together I believe. If we were closer we'd have to arrange a meet and greet for them.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Some awesome boomin' 'n banging I see today, well done mates, love me some ole iron ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Some great looking shootin' arns, gents!
garddogg56 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:06 am Congrats Steve on the jersey permit ::tu:: ya know bud up here in Maine we shoot for free :shock: and no range officer ::hmm::
Dad used to take us out to a sand pit to plink cans with his .22. Free, no one around, had a ball.
That was back in the mid '70s when he was stationed up at Loring AFB, a tad north and east of Caribou. I started high school up there in Limestone.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Waiting for me at the gun shop while they do their background check.
(for those who may remember, I just got my handgun permit a couple days ago after the NJ State Police did their background check. Now the shop had to do one for another $16 out of my pocket. Oh, well. I hear California is worse. Sorry, guys)
Should get a call in a day or two to pick it up.
wild west.jpg
Uberti 1873 Cattleman El Patron .357
I was originally looking for the Cattleman as it is a bit cheaper. The first shop I went to didn't have any, would have to back order, and had no idea how long that would take. The second shop didn't have the Cattleman, but did have the El Patron, so I jumped on it.
Getting home to do a little more research on the El Patron led me to discover the El Patron is just a souped up, tuned up, racier version of the Cattleman. I'm stoked!! ::ds:: ::ds::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Looks like a high quality piece.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

It does look nice, Steve! Too bad you don't live in Texas...you would be sleeping with it tonight :) ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That's a fine looking handgun!
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”