What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Haven't read DeMille in years. He still has it.
Attachments
Nelson DeMille - The Deserter.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:40 am I like to follow this thread and notice what folks are reading and I noticed that several of you have mentioned this old book, it's a bit raggedy but it gets read most every day at Starvation Plantation:002.JPG
Treefarmer
:D ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Back to Louis L'amour. This one set in the 12th century.
20200606_164744.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Starting this one. Biography of Samuel Colt.

Ken
Attachments
D8DCFB0F-8279-4A7B-B1A1-2506D9FB2790.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 pm Starting this one. Biography of Samuel Colt.

Ken
Cool! Let us know what you think when you finish.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:53 pm Back to Louis L'amour. This one set in the 12th century.
20200606_164744.jpg
One of my favorites Steve. Enjoy!
Bill
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

I seem to reread Elmer about once a year. Very informative and his stories never get old. If you haven't read Sixguns put it on your list. His biography is good too. For those who don't know he pioneered the .357 and 44 magnums and worked with Bill Ruger and Smith & Wesson on pistols to handle the loads
Bill
Attachments
Screenshot_20200610-232002_Google Play Books.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

A bio of Sam Colt and now "Sixguns".
I'm going to have to pay a visit to abebooks!*

*website dealing in used books
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Because I like getting a $30 book for just 5 bucks!
20200710_170220.jpg
Seriously, this is my 4th book on Teddy and the Rough Riders. Just something I find fascinating.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just started reading the Autobiography of Chesty Puller's son who had his legs blown off in Viet Nam. Marine Corps just like his father Chesty who is the most highly decorated Marine to ever live. Five Navy Crosses.
Attachments
Louis B Puller Jr - Fortunate Son.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:05 pm Because I like getting a $30 book for just 5 bucks!
20200710_170220.jpg

Seriously, this is my 4th book on Teddy and the Rough Riders. Just something I find fascinating.
" I like your thinking." And the book looks interesting as well. $5 well spent.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:40 am I like to follow this thread and notice what folks are reading and I noticed that several of you have mentioned this old book, it's a bit raggedy but it gets read most every day at Starvation Plantation:002.JPG
Treefarmer
I had my old Bible rebound in college in the 1970s. Several chapters in Romans are totally un-sewn and fall out of I'm not careful. My wife had a book rebound and it was fairly expensive but they did an amazing job. I have thought about getting my old Bible rebound but it's underlined and marked on in several different colors with notes in the margins and I still refer back to it from time to time because it's the translation I memorized Scripture verses in college. I think the new King James is a better translation and I'm breaking in a one my wife gave me at Christmas. I'm reading in Revelations now, but I'm skipping around not reading cover to cover.

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:53 pm Back to Louis L'amour. This one set in the 12th century.
I read that one probably 20+ years ago Steve, and I still remember it fondly. Louis l'Amour was a good easy read in college when your head wanted to explode from all the reading your doing. It was nice and relaxing. The Walking Drum was considerably different than his Westerns, I wished he had written several more like that.
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:49 pm Just started reading the Autobiography of Chesty Puller's son who had his legs blown off in Viet Nam. Marine Corps just like his father Chesty who is the most highly decorated Marine to ever live. Five Navy Crosses.
That's a good book Jerry, I read that one when I was still working with veterans, so it was reading it partially as a Marine and partially as a veterans counselor. It did take some of the fun out of it for me.
By the way you are correct Chesty Puller was awarded five Navy Crosses, but he was also awarded the Army Distinguished Service Cross.
I remember in boot camp we often had to say "Good night Chesty Puller, wherever you are." That was a year or so before he passed away.

You guys are reading some good stuff!
I just got this one in and can't wait to dive into it.
Saving Truth - Book a.jpg
Saving Truth - Book b.jpg

If anyone in has interest in philosophy, postmodernism and the post truth culture, Abdu Murray is incredible on the topic! There are a number of YouTube videos of him speaking on the subject and I find it fascinating, though not the easiest thing to retain for me, so I usually listen to his videos two or three times, there that interesting.
I realize the percentage of people that might be interested in this are small, but to the one or two of you out there that would be interested I highly recommend his videos I expect the book to be at least as good.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

orvet wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:28 am By the way you are correct Chesty Puller was awarded five Navy Crosses, but he was also awarded the Army Distinguished Service Cross.
Since you brought it up, I was not aware that the Army Distinguished Service Cross is equivalent to the Navy Cross. Did you know that you can purchase the Army Distinguished Service Cross and the Navy Cross online? They are under $100. It offends me that those medals for valor are for sale but unlike the Medal of Honor, it's not illegal. Sale of a Medal of Honor is illegal under federal law, and punishable by fines of up to $100,000 and a year in jail. IMO they should add the Navy Cross and the Army Distinguished Service Cross to that law.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

orvet wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:28 am
I had my old Bible rebound in college in the 1970s. Several chapters in Romans are totally un-sewn and fall out of I'm not careful. My wife had a book rebound and it was fairly expensive but they did an amazing job. I have thought about getting my old Bible rebound but it's underlined and marked on in several different colors with notes in the margins and I still refer back to it from time to time because it's the translation I memorized Scripture verses in college. I think the new King James is a better translation and I'm breaking in a one my wife gave me at Christmas. I'm reading in Revelations now, but I'm skipping around not reading cover to cover.
Dale, I would recommend getting that old Bible rebound! When the bonded leather cover on my Bible started to crumble away, I thought about just buying another Bible. But, like yours, mine had many passages underlined or highlighted. The margins are extra wide (absolutely loooove that!) with plenty of room for notes, of which there are many. I have also memorized scriptures more by location on the page rather than by address; "right page, left column, just a few lines up from the bottom," has served me better than, "1 John 4:7-8 :wink: ".

Pricing new Bibles and getting a quote to have mine rebound showed me real quick I could get two, maybe three bonded leather Bibles for the price of getting mine bound with genuine full grain leather. The decision was made when I considered all I mentioned in the previous paragraph. That, and knowing that getting it rebound would make it last far beyond my years, even perhaps becoming an heirloom to be passed down. I found a book binder in Philly who has done historical books and documents, so I was confident in the work I would receive.

By the way, a big fan of the NKJV myself.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Orvet, I wonder if you have encountered Jordan Peterson on YouTube. Has a lot to say on postmodernism. As a clinical psychologist he has done a fascinating analysis of Genisis and other areas of Scripture.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Pricing new Bibles and getting a quote to have mine rebound showed me real quick I could get two, maybe three bonded leather Bibles for the price of getting mine bound with genuine full grain leather. The decision was made when I considered all I mentioned in the previous paragraph. That, and knowing that getting it rebound would make it last far beyond my years, even perhaps becoming an heirloom to be passed down. I found a book binder in Philly who has done historical books and documents, so I was confident in the work I would receive.

Other than going with my wife when she took her book in to be rebound I don't know anything about it. Think I should bring in and he would give me an estimate but probably $250 or more.

Here's a few pictures Steve, tell me if you think it can still be done.
Attachments
Old RSV Bible a.jpg
Old RSV Bible c.jpg
Old RSV Bibleb.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:40 pm Orvet, I wonder if you have encountered Jordan Peterson on YouTube. Has a lot to say on postmodernism. As a clinical psychologist he has done a fascinating analysis of Genisis and other areas of Scripture.
I have seen Jordan Peterson's videos on YouTube, I just hadn't and to listen to him. I studied postmodernism quite a bit, just independent reading, a few years ago. Post truth culture seems to be replacing postmodernism. I'll have to take a listen to some of Jordan Peterson's stuff when I get caught up.
Thanks for the tip!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

orvet wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:41 pm
Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Other than going with my wife when she took her book in to be rebound I don't know anything about it. Think I should bring in and he would give me an estimate but probably $250 or more.

Here's a few pictures Steve, tell me if you think it can still be done.
Mine was close to $250. I told Becky to consider it her Christmas present to me. Can't think of a better Christmas gift - good year 'round and never goes out of style!

After going in and seeing the shop where I had mine done, I would think a good book binder would be able to take care of yours. The only way to know for sure is to go in with your Bible and talk to the guy or gal.

http://maxmarblesbookbinder.com/ in Salem, close to you? Just from some pics on their website, your's is in great shape! :lol:
http://maxmarblesbookbinder.com/family-bible/
https://www.google.com/maps/search/book ... 9003217,7z some others, quite a few up in Portland
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That's amazing Steve, Max Marbles is the fellow I took my wife to to have her book rebound.
Max and his son worked together in the shop. I saw his son working on a German Bible from the 17th century and and he was straightening out each corner of each page! You can see why the price gets so high. There are hours and hours of work that goes into each book.

I will definitely think it over, probably not something I will do within the next couple of months, probably wait until summer is over.
That would make a good Christmas present.... ::hmm::

Thanks for the idea Steve! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

I would rebind it for another reason also Dale. My most treasured section of my bookcase is my collection of my grandparents bibles. Also one of my well used bibles with alot of notes and highlights from a period of difficult life dissapeared. I found on my oldest son's bedside table while doing sime remodeling at his house. I left it there with tears in my eyes and a prayer of thanks. Sometime God may use the notes in the margins as much as His own words.
Bill
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Finished long chew through this stack yesterday, and starting on this un'.
Attachments
DSCN3526.JPG
DSCN3527.JPG
DSCN3528.JPG
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Good books, but some heavy reading there mate. :roll:
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cudgee wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:21 am Good books, but some heavy reading there mate. :roll:
Yup, yer spot on at that mate ::nod:: .

Building up my tolerances to tackle war and peace...

:lol:
Winston Churchill

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 am
cudgee wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:21 am Good books, but some heavy reading there mate. :roll:

Good luck with that, it beat me. ::shrug::
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

cudgee wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:37 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 am

Good luck with that, it beat me. ::shrug::
Haha, I've been on chapter three for about 25 years. :(
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”