What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by jerryd6818 »

If you've read any W.E.B. Griffin, you should know he Died: February 12, 2019, Daphne, AL. A great author. A very prolific author. May he rest in peace.

I've read all of his "The Corps" series except maybe the last one. Just can't remember. I do recall having a difficult time finding it at the library. Just picked this up on Thursday at the library. There are eight books in the series. This is number one.
Attachments
0407190925-1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....."the longest day", by cornielus ryan..........this is the 3rd time I've read it!!......... ::tu:: ................
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote:If you've read any W.E.B. Griffin, you should know he Died: February 12, 2019, Daphne, AL. A great author. A very prolific author. May he rest in peace.
Did not catch that! I'm surprised no word appeared on any of the newsfeeds I check when it happened... ::hmm:: A shame, RIP to a great writer. His book "Double Agents" is sitting on my table next in line after I get through the 1100 page boat anchor that is my current literary pursuit.
Attachments
2019-04-07_06-34-39.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

jerryd6818 wrote:If you've read any W.E.B. Griffin, you should know he Died: February 12, 2019, Daphne, AL. A great author. A very prolific author. May he rest in peace.

I've read all of his "The Corps" series except maybe the last one. Just can't remember. I do recall having a difficult time finding it at the library. Just picked this up on Thursday at the library. There are eight books in the series. This is number one.
I've read about all of his works, the brotherhood of war series and the corps series several times. He enjoyed a long and prolific life and brought a lot of enjoyment to his fans. RIP sir. I'm a fixing to start this'un.
Attachments
20190407_164548.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

20190421_074821.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Just received the latest John Sandford book. Neon Prey
Attachments
75F22696-C880-49EC-9818-F8F080F5B365.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Steve, that’s one of the best books I’ve read. It’s history but reads like a novel. Helps you understand the real story about the American Indian and settling of the frontier, not the revisionist history being fed to us nowadays. The Comanche were bad*ss -they ran off every other Indian tribe in their territory, including the Apache. The story of Quanah Parker is fascinating,

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Hey, Ken.
'Bout a third through it. A fascinating read that I am really enjoying. Hard to imagine having to face them.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I finally found a copy of Somerset Maugham’s ‘The Razor’s Edge’. I’d post the cover but mine is a 1944 edition and has long since lost its dust cover. The hardcover that’s left is plain black.
I pretty well wore out my very old paperback and then lost it anyway.

This is one of my favourite books. The two movie versions left me cold, but I reread it every chance I get.
It’s a good look at the period following the first war. The story is told from the first person, and seems to be a fictionalization of a real life. The author does at one point have a character refer to him by his real name. He only acts as an observer though, and the characters move the story.
I won’t try to do a proper book report here, but I will say that the main character may have been the first hippy! It’s a very good story. Try it.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

zoogirl, Good for you. The Razor's Edge had a profound impact on me as a young man. Have read it several times. The most recent movie version with Bill Murray was a disaster. The original with Ann Baxter and Tyrone power had scenes that I liked very much. Anyway, I have always considered the author Somerset Maugham a great storyteller. Many of his stories were made into movies with greater or lesser success.
Those were mostly made at a time when Hollywood favored scripts with ideas rather than explosions.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

20190511_170849.jpg
20190511_170918.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...."battleship at war" by ivan musicant!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...."battleship at war" by ivan musicant!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Steve, that’s a pretty rough bunch listed there. Most of them met their demise or were captured by Texas Rangers (a pretty rough bunch themselves). Not many people know that Wild Bill Longley is a direct ancestor of former Dallas Cowboy QB Clint Longley, quite a wild character himself.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Steve, that’s a pretty rough bunch listed there. Most of them met their demise or were captured by Texas Rangers (a pretty rough bunch themselves). Not many people know that Wild Bill Longley is a direct ancestor of former Dallas Cowboy QB Clint Longley, quite a wild character himself.

Ken
Coincidentally reading Wild Bill's chapter now.
After reading about the outlaws, I'd like to delve into the law men, specifically the Rangers. Any reading recommendations?

PS
Did a quick search on Clint. After a sucker punch on Staubach, it's no wonder the Cowboys let him go.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Steve Warden wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:Steve, that’s a pretty rough bunch listed there. Most of them met their demise or were captured by Texas Rangers (a pretty rough bunch themselves). Not many people know that Wild Bill Longley is a direct ancestor of former Dallas Cowboy QB Clint Longley, quite a wild character himself.

Ken
After reading about the outlaws, I'd like to delve into the law men, specifically the Rangers. Any reading recommendations?

PS
Did a quick search on Clint. After a sucker punch on Staubach, it's no wonder the Cowboys let him go.
Being somewhat of a Texas history nut, I have numerous books about the Rangers. There are newer ones available but my favorite by far is one of the classics, The Texas Rangers: A Century of Frontier Defense by Walter Prescott Webb. Reads like fiction but it’s history (you just can’t make this stuff up). :lol: Some of the best stories you’ll ever read. Covers the Rangers from their inception by Stephen F. Austin through the killing of Bonnie and Clyde. Includes some first-hand accounts as recounted by the participants themselves. First published in 1935 - never been out of print since.

Ken
Attachments
22766766-6EEA-4D8F-9FCA-B37F5869CCAE.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Thanks Ken.
I'll see if I can find a copy.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Steve Warden wrote:Thanks Ken.
I'll see if I can find a copy.
Here’s a pretty good deal. https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... prevpage=2 Scroll through a ways and you can find a hardback version of the original edition for a few bucks more, if that is of interest.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
Steve Warden wrote:

Ken

PS
Being somewhat of a Texas history nut, I have numerous books about the Rangers. There are newer ones available but my favorite by far is one of the classics, The Texas Rangers: A Century of Frontier Defense by Walter Prescott Webb. Reads like fiction but it’s history (you just can’t make this stuff up). :lol: Some of the best stories you’ll ever read. Covers the Rangers from their inception by Stephen F. Austin through the killing of Bonnie and Clyde. Includes some first-hand accounts as recounted by the participants themselves. First published in 1935 - never been out of print since.

Ken
I have it and have read it Ken. Great reading. ::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I realize this is about books, but I thought some of you would be interested in a recent Kevin Costner movie on Netflix, The Highwaymen. It tells the true story of Hammer and his partner who tracked down Bonnie and Clyde. In the Hollywood Bonnie and Clyde Hammer was presented as kind of a dunce. The reality is quite different. The success of Hammer led to the reactivation of the Texas Rangers who had been disbanded by the governor of Texas.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

QS, Hamer was really an amazing lawman. I've read a couple of books on him and several on Bonnie and Clyde. When I was about 12 I got to meet Floyd Hamilton who ran with them for a while. Desperate era. ::nod::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Quick Steel wrote:I realize this is about books, but I thought some of you would be interested in a recent Kevin Costner movie on Netflix, The Highwaymen. It tells the true story of Hammer and his partner who tracked down Bonnie and Clyde. In the Hollywood Bonnie and Clyde Hammer was presented as kind of a dunce. The reality is quite different. The success of Hammer led to the reactivation of the Texas Rangers who had been disbanded by the governor of Texas.
The Hollywood version starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway was typical Hollywood. Nothing much about it was true aside from the names of the characters. Since this is a thread about books, here’s a recent one about the aforementioned Texas Ranger Frank Hamer, including his hunt for Bonnie and Clyde. As I understand it this book was one of the resources used in writing the screenplay for the Costner movie.

Ken
Attachments
0C50E806-86A1-436C-A545-FEF1DCCD179A.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Reading a whodunit by Owen Parry, Rebels of Babylon, set in New Orleans during the civil war. The detective is a married Union major who is of Welsh descent and Christian, injured at Bull Run and is now doing special projects for the federal government.
There are five novels in the series. The author also writes under the name of Ralph Peters and under this name he writes historical fiction set in the American Civil War. Good stuff if the CW is of interest.
steve99f
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

I'm currently about half way through Ranch life and the hunting trail, by Theodore Roosevelt ( for the 3rd time) Highly recommended.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

So far it's been very interesting.
It goes way back to the late 1400s, early 1500s when Columbus and the Spanish brought cattle and horses to the new world.
Reading about the cattle drives of the 1800s now. Seems the drives out of Texas north and east to Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana overshadow the drives out to California. Those were larger and, of course, much longer.
A good read if you're into cowboy history.
20190529_182405.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”