What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thank you both for the nice compliments.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cudgee wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:12 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:28 am Finished the rail book last week, starting to tackle this one again.
Plan this time is to finish it, in it's entirety, before I start another...
:lol:
Excellent read.
How was the rail book ?
If I can summarize in one word; fantastic!
Definitely worth adding to the library IMHO, Mr. Wolmar is the master writer of said genre.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Well,
Ole wooly boy was having one of those days, so finished said previous memorial in one afternoon.
Riveting page turner for sure.

Now that am on a roll, going to tackle this big boy starting tomorrow...
Attachments
DSCN4341.JPG
DSCN4342.JPG
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

For those members who are interested just thought i would let you know, just got an email from True West about the release of a new book in the New year about Billy The Kid, is on pre-order and looks like it would be an interesting read. :)
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

cudgee wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:23 pm For those members who are interested just thought i would let you know, just got an email from True West about the release of a new book in the New year about Billy The Kid, is on pre-order and looks like it would be an interesting read. :)
I've been considering that. It's the 3rd book in the "Illustrated Life and Times of..." series by Bob Boze Bell.
Doc Holliday and Wild Bill Hickock were the subjects of the first two books.
I'm thinking of waiting until they buddle the series and offer at a lower price per book rate, like they did with the "Classic Gun Fights" trio.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Steve Warden wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:34 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:23 pm For those members who are interested just thought i would let you know, just got an email from True West about the release of a new book in the New year about Billy The Kid, is on pre-order and looks like it would be an interesting read. :)
I've been considering that. It's the 3rd book in the "Illustrated Life and Times of..." series by Bob Boze Bell.
Doc Holliday and Wild Bill Hickock were the subjects of the first two books.
I'm thinking of waiting until they buddle the series and offer at a lower price per book rate, like they did with the "Classic Gun Fights" trio.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just started this one. Re-published memoir of a Texas pioneer woman about two Texas families, their lives and ranches on the early Texas frontier.

Ken
Attachments
22F60855-D112-4692-AB6B-4A958A630723.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

An absolutely wonderful book Ken. We went out and roamed around on the lambshead ranch. Drove the roads inside the ranch. It's not allowed anymore. And won a tour of the ranch on a silent auction in Albany. It is a wonderful area. There is a follow up book that I can't recall the name of at the moment. I bet you enjoy it. ::nod:: ::nod::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Floyd, I’m about 50 pages into it now. You’re right it is a great read. There are apparently two follow-on books, Lambshead Before Interwoven and Lambshead Legacy. I’d love to have been able to tour the ranch like you were able to do. Here’s some further info I found https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/ent ... n-reynolds. https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/ent ... head-ranch

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Yes those are the two books. And thanks for the additional information. ::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:41 am Just started this one. Re-published memoir of a Texas pioneer woman about two Texas families, their lives and ranches on the early Texas frontier.

Ken
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That will be a fantastic read, any book about the early pioneers who opened up the country and suffered through tough times are always interesting. We have a family over here who were one of the first in the high country, they are still there generations later, and they would not have survived without the women. :)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cudgee wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:47 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:41 am Just started this one. Re-published memoir of a Texas pioneer woman about two Texas families, their lives and ranches on the early Texas frontier.

Ken
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That will be a fantastic read, any book about the early pioneers who opened up the country and suffered through tough times are always interesting. We have a family over here who were one of the first in the high country, they are still there generations later, and they would not have survived without the women. :)
So true mate, so true ::nod:: .
I think I need to put some reads of said genre, on my to-read list, seeing as I've been chewing through my all my war books.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Now that I finished said previous read, time to change gears a bit, and dig into somethin' more inline with are hobby.
:mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCN4378.JPG
Winston Churchill

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I just finished reading "Sing Me Back Home", Merle Haggard's 1981 autobiography. Excellent read. Out of print now, a friend loaned me his copy.

He is damn sure honest! I was always under the impression that he didn't really deserve to go to prison. But after reading the book, yep, he deserved it! :lol: He made a lot of bad decisions after his Dad passed away when Merle was only 9. But he finally got his act together, and Country Music is much richer as a result Anyway, it's a good read.

By the way, "Sing me back Home" was the first song that I memorized all the words to when I was a kid back in the late 60s. Seems like my Dad always had a Haggard album playing back in those days.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Just got this one in the mail today. Looks like a great historical account of the Case family and
the history of the business. Also has over 220 photographs of the Case family, factory personnel
and product ads.

This company, Arcadia Publishing has put out a lot of books on different cities, companies and
people.
Attachments
20201222_170600.jpg
20201222_170707.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Looks like a good one, David.
Enjoy ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Excellent lookin' read David, on-to my "buy it" list she goes.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That one is filled with great history David. I have a copy around here somewhere.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

I have already begun to draw up a reading plan for 2021. It includes Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, Titan, Stoic, Dreiser's The Financier, How to Win Friends and Influence People by Carnegie, The Catcher in the Rye, Selinger, Remarque's Arc de Triomphe. I also think to read Loughcraft. In general, I try to build plans for the coming year in all directions.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Challenger, You have some serious reading ahead of you. I wonder if you might enjoy The Razors Edge by Somerset Maugham. It had a great influence on me as a young man.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I've heard he's one of the best to ever pen the genre of Western. Here's a collection of shorts.
20201224_161138.jpg
We'll see if he's as good as L'amour 😉
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Our property is adjacent to the Glen Riddle farm where the great, "Man o' War" and his "get", "War Admiral" (who raced the famous Seabiscuit) were raised and trained. The farm is now a development, three golf courses and a Ruth's Chris Steak house. Found a copy of MAN O' WAR in a hospital thrift shop. It's a great read. Written partly from the horse's perspective, lots of great history. Didn't know every thoroughbred horse in America is descended from only three "Arabian" or "Turkish" sires. Love history! J.O'.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good knife!
Attachments
IMG_1987.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Steve Warden wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:16 pm I've heard he's one of the best to ever pen the genre of Western. Here's a collection of shorts.
20201224_161138.jpg
We'll see if he's as good as L'amour 😉
Nope. Couldn't finish it. Got 2/3 through it and said to myself, "Ya know, I don't have to finish this." So I decided I'll go grab one from L'amour.
How 'bout a story of the Sacketts?
How 'bout a story of the Sacketts?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:33 pm Our property is adjacent to the Glen Riddle farm where the great, "Man o' War" and his "get", "War Admiral" (who raced the famous Seabiscuit) were raised and trained. The farm is now a development, three golf courses and a Ruth's Chris Steak house. Found a copy of MAN O' WAR in a hospital thrift shop. It's a great read. Written partly from the horse's perspective, lots of great history. Didn't know every thoroughbred horse in America is descended from only three "Arabian" or "Turkish" sires. Love history! J.O'.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good knife!
Every thoroughbred in the world is from the same sires. ::handshake::
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I'm taking a week off to "celebrate" the end of 2020, so I'm alternating between these top two. :)
20201228_222314.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”