What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by edge213 »

And then
Attachments
51jjYdZGXJL._SL500_.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:43 pm Elmer Kelton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Kelton If you’re not familiar with him and enjoy Westerns you should give him a try. However he’s not a “shoot em up” type. In fact in most of his books not a shot is fired. One critic described him as not writing westerns, but rather writing great novels set in the West. Typically Kelton takes a little-known historical event and writes a novel around it as the central theme.

For openers try The Day the Cowboys Quit, which is based around the late 1800’s cowboy strike against large ranchers. Or The Good Old Boys, set during the coming of barbed wire and end of the open range.

Kelton was born and raised on a Texas ranch where his father was the foreman. Many of his stories contain elements of stories and events told to him by working cowboys.

Ken
Going to crack my first Kelton novel, right after I make this post.
20200321_145455.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........."battleship at war" by ivan musicant(for the humpteenth time)...it's about my uncle's ship in ww2!!!......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::........................
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:00 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:43 pm Elmer Kelton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Kelton If you’re not familiar with him and enjoy Westerns you should give him a try. However he’s not a “shoot em up” type. In fact in most of his books not a shot is fired. One critic described him as not writing westerns, but rather writing great novels set in the West. Typically Kelton takes a little-known historical event and writes a novel around it as the central theme.

For openers try The Day the Cowboys Quit, which is based around the late 1800’s cowboy strike against large ranchers. Or The Good Old Boys, set during the coming of barbed wire and end of the open range.

Kelton was born and raised on a Texas ranch where his father was the foreman. Many of his stories contain elements of stories and events told to him by working cowboys.

Ken
Going to crack my first Kelton novel, right after I make this post.
20200321_145455.jpg
Steve, glad you’re giving Kelton a try. ::tu:: But be aware what you have there is a recently compiled collection of some of his short stories, not one of his novels. Most if not all of those were published in pulp fiction magazines, like Ranch Romances, back in the 50’s before he published his first novel. Not saying they won’t be good, just that mostly they’re some of his earliest work writing fiction.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Yes, I knew it was a collection of shorts, something I kind of prefer. Didn't realize they were written back in the 50s until opening up today. No worries there; a good story is a good story.

Just finished the first one, My Guns are the Law.
Loved it! If the rest are like this, it won't be long before I have a shelf devoted to Kelton.
Thanks for the tip, Ken ::handshake::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

20200322_110235.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Lee Child - Blue Moon.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

A little passed half way through a 2017 history titled Passchendale, a retelling of this 1917 battle in Belgium ( Flanders) fought mostly by the Brits and Commonwealth divisions from Canada and the ANZACs against German divisions. The author, Nick Lloyd, seems to do a good job, the narrative moves along, giving views and accounts from on high and at the Tommy level as well as from the German perspective. Trench warfare at its worst. Truly awful conditions. Unimaginable amount of artillery fire. amazing courage.
steve99f
just bob

Post by just bob »

It's not working?
Attachments
cramer .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Those familiar with the "All Things..." series of books will be familiar with James Herriot. This is a collection of some of his and readers favorites from that series.
20200330_132250.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

No better time than now to spend time training your dog, or retraining. Been working with mine - no social distancing necessary! Here’s a couple of very good resources, good no matter what breed of dog you have. And just good interesting reads. ::tu:: Much of each book deals with obedience training and how to make your dog a better companion. The author has been studying and training dogs over 40 years. You can learn what your dog thinks of you too. :lol:

Ken
Attachments
410C558D-85BF-42B4-A7AD-0CC946CBE1C3.jpeg
9F713C81-17EE-435D-9052-29472F209756.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Discovered this great book a couple months ago.
It's very appropriate to the times we currently live in with the Coronavirus restrictions and how you handle it.

I have no problem with the restrictions and realize it is necessary for the worlds future.
I fall within the "introvert" spectrum more so than the "extravert" spectrum.
A lot of misconceptions pertaining to both sides, this book helps to clear up those misconceptions.

One factor that's at the core of many personality assessments is whether you are introverted or extroverted. You probably have an inclination about where you lie on the spectrum (depending on how outgoing or shy you are) but how can you know for sure?

It turns out, the extrovert versus introvert question is pretty complex -- it's about way more than if you are considered more quiet or talkative. And since understanding introversion vs. extroversion can help you understand yourself and others better -- here's a more in-depth look at how to tell which you are and why it's important.

Read more: Not everyone can be a morning person, according to sleep experts

What's the difference between an extrovert and an introvert?
"When I think about the words introvert and extrovert, I think about the ways in which people relate to themselves, and the world around them," Chelsea Connors, MS, NCC, LPC-A, Board Certified Coach and therapist said. She added that the biggest difference between the two is in how each prefers to spend their time.

You may be an introvert if:

You enjoy spending time alone
You prefer quality time with one or two people over spending time with bigger groups of friends
You need alone time to rest and recharge after a busy workday or period of activity
You can get lost in your thoughts easily and need time to process and think through most things
You may be an extrovert if:

You prefer spending your time around other people and dislike being alone
You like crowds, parties and other gatherings with lots of new people
You need quality time with others to help you recharge
You're outgoing, talkative and like being the center of attention
"Typically introverts tend to enjoy more time to themselves, are very aware of their internal thoughts and recharge more in solitude. Extroverts can be just the opposite. Extroverts are often more outspoken, outgoing and absolutely love being around other people. That's what really fills them up," Connors said.

You can also consider how you feel after socializing to help you decipher if you're more introverted or extroverted. "We often see that extroverts feel refueled and filled up after being with a crowd and connecting with more people, while introverts may feel drained by that same experience," Connors said.

41Fl9hWHPOL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over working in teams. It is to introverts—Rosa Parks, Chopin, Dr. Seuss, Steve Wozniak—that we owe many of the great contributions to society.

In Quiet, Susan Cain argues that we dramatically undervalue introverts and shows how much we lose in doing so. She charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal throughout the twentieth century and explores how deeply it has come to permeate our culture. She also introduces us to successful introverts—from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Passionately argued, superbly researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Current
0407200812.jpg
Next
0407200812a.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Indiana Auto & RV, mostly just looking at the pictures and dreaming.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Love his westerns. Let's see how he does with private eyes. A collection of short stories.
20200414_161631.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:56 pm Discovered this great book a couple months ago.
It's very appropriate to the times we currently live in with the Coronavirus restrictions and how you handle it.

I have no problem with the restrictions and realize it is necessary for the worlds future.
I fall within the "introvert" spectrum more so than the "extravert" spectrum.
A lot of misconceptions pertaining to both sides, this book helps to clear up those misconceptions.

One factor that's at the core of many personality assessments is whether you are introverted or extroverted. You probably have an inclination about where you lie on the spectrum (depending on how outgoing or shy you are) but how can you know for sure?

It turns out, the extrovert versus introvert question is pretty complex -- it's about way more than if you are considered more quiet or talkative. And since understanding introversion vs. extroversion can help you understand yourself and others better -- here's a more in-depth look at how to tell which you are and why it's important.

Read more: Not everyone can be a morning person, according to sleep experts

What's the difference between an extrovert and an introvert?
"When I think about the words introvert and extrovert, I think about the ways in which people relate to themselves, and the world around them," Chelsea Connors, MS, NCC, LPC-A, Board Certified Coach and therapist said. She added that the biggest difference between the two is in how each prefers to spend their time.

You may be an introvert if:

You enjoy spending time alone
You prefer quality time with one or two people over spending time with bigger groups of friends
You need alone time to rest and recharge after a busy workday or period of activity
You can get lost in your thoughts easily and need time to process and think through most things
You may be an extrovert if:

You prefer spending your time around other people and dislike being alone
You like crowds, parties and other gatherings with lots of new people
You need quality time with others to help you recharge
You're outgoing, talkative and like being the center of attention
"Typically introverts tend to enjoy more time to themselves, are very aware of their internal thoughts and recharge more in solitude. Extroverts can be just the opposite. Extroverts are often more outspoken, outgoing and absolutely love being around other people. That's what really fills them up," Connors said.

You can also consider how you feel after socializing to help you decipher if you're more introverted or extroverted. "We often see that extroverts feel refueled and filled up after being with a crowd and connecting with more people, while introverts may feel drained by that same experience," Connors said.

41Fl9hWHPOL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over working in teams. It is to introverts—Rosa Parks, Chopin, Dr. Seuss, Steve Wozniak—that we owe many of the great contributions to society.

In Quiet, Susan Cain argues that we dramatically undervalue introverts and shows how much we lose in doing so. She charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal throughout the twentieth century and explores how deeply it has come to permeate our culture. She also introduces us to successful introverts—from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Passionately argued, superbly researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves.
As an introvert, this book intrigues me. I often sit and marvel at the conversations I hear at work on a daily basis. I'm surprised any information is accurately conveyed. It seems EVERY utterance is interrupted when the "listener" is convinced he knows what is being said. Folks seem to be in such a hurry to speak, they refuse to listen.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I've also seen that behavior so many times.
Extroverts are often described as the life of the party. Their outgoing, vibrant nature draws people to them, and they have a hard time turning away the attention. They thrive off the interaction and just can't stand for the party to end.
On the opposite side are introverts, such as myself. I feel that I am more typically described as more reserved. I may engage in a multitude of social activities, however, I enjoy my time away from others to recharge.
Extroverts are energized by crowds and interaction with the external world. Introverts need alone time to recharge, and they’re often more reserved in their manners and engagement with others. Not that you extroverts are lacking manners.
Dan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My Meyers-Briggs personality type is INTJ. Basically it means I’m an introvert that everyone thinks is an extrovert. ::shrug:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:30 am My Meyers-Briggs personality type is INTJ. Basically it means I’m an introvert that everyone thinks is an extrovert. ::shrug:: :lol:

Ken

"Meyers-Briggs personality type is INTJ"

Advocates are the most likely personality type to be humble in victory.
The Advocate personality type is very rare, making up less than one percent of the population, but they nonetheless leave their mark on the world. Advocates have an inborn sense of idealism and morality, but what sets them apart is that they are not idle dreamers. These individuals are capable of taking concrete steps to realize their goals and make a lasting positive impact.

People with this personality type tend to see helping others as their purpose in life. Advocates can often be found engaging in rescue efforts and doing charity work. However, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all.

When someone challenges or criticizes Advocates’ principles or values, they are likely to receive an alarmingly strong response. People with the Advocate personality type are highly vulnerable to criticism and conflict. Questioning their motives is the quickest way to their bad side.

When someone challenges or criticizes Advocates’ principles or values, they are likely to receive an alarmingly strong response. People with the Advocate personality type are highly vulnerable to criticism and conflict. Questioning their motives is the quickest way to their bad side.

Their passion, impatience for routine maintenance, idealism, and extreme privacy tend to leave Advocates with few options for letting off steam. People with this personality type are likely to exhaust themselves in short order if they don’t find a way to balance their ideals with the realities of day-to-day living.

Advocates You May Know:
Mumbleypeg (ken) ::shrug::
Martin Luther King
Nelson Mandela
Mother Teresa
Lady Gaga
Nicole Kidman
Morgan Freeman
::handshake::
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

And I still hate "Spam in a Can" ::td:: ::barf::
Dan
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:30 am My Meyers-Briggs personality type is INTJ. Basically it means I’m an introvert that everyone thinks is an extrovert. ::shrug:: :lol:

Ken
Ken, I have taken the Myers-Briggs test a couple of times at work over the years. I always show to be an INTJ as well. I don't normally put a lot of stock in things like that, but it seems to be pretty accurate. According to Wikipedia, only 2-4% of the U.S. population fall into the INTJ category, which makes it the second most rare category. I don't know if that is a good thing, a bad thing, or neither? :lol:
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

The Gunfighters, part of Time Life Books THE OLD WEST series.
20200420_171040.jpg
Anybody else have any or all of this series?
I found this one in an antique mall in Maine last fall.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Steve, I have some of those. My parents bought them sometime back in the 70s or 80s, I think. Pretty interesting.
Attachments
Time Life books.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Cool Mike.
Something for me to keep on the lookout for when I hit the antique mall and old book stores.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Two of the best of that Time-Life series, The Indian and The Great Chiefs were written by the excellent author Benjamin Capps. Capps was also a novelist who produced some great historical fiction like The Trail to Ogallalla, Sam Chance and The White Man’s Road among others, and non-fiction like The Warren Wagontrain Raid.

Capps is a favorite of mine.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”