Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by DM11 »

Enjoyed the feeder pic monk!

Good pics of the coyote doglegg.
David
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Really cool pictures of the coyote doglegg. In Tulsa there are some that live down on the arkansas river. I have seen them walking down my street at night, by no means a rural area.

When I was young I remember seeing a red fox go by every day at dusk one summer. This went on for a few days or a week, can't remember. One day my friend and I were ready for it and chased after it on our bicycles for quite a few blocks, it went between some bushes into an alley where we had to go around. When we came around the bushes into the alley the fox was gone. Never saw it again.

Yesterday when the sun was nearly down I was on 412 heading to catoosa and saw the silhouette of a horned owl perched high up on a tree, ready to hunt. It was very cool, wish I had a photo. I don't see owls often but I sure like them. Awesome creatures.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks David. ::handshake::
Paul, I worked for the City here for 15 years and most of that time on school flashers and traffic signals. I was out and about most of the time and I was amazed at the number of cayotes I saw. Bob cats as well although not as often. Foxes only a couple of times. Owl once but hawks and kestrels often. And twice a Golden eagle. The best part of work. Thanks. ::handshake::
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

My Brother-In-Law, now deceased, had the very enviable job of Conservation Manager for Monsanto on the Escambia River in The Florida Panhandle.

Spent most of his workday in a boat on the river, measuring temps and taking samples.

Saw a little bit of everything.

And it tended to keep him informed of the best places to fish or squirrel hunt.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Charlie, that would be a good resource to have. BIL's can be very useful. ::handshake::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Several years ago I was leaving the house early one morning, headed for my truck parked in the driveway. I spotted a coyote in the pasture about 100 feet from me, about the same time it saw me. I stopped walking and looked at the coyote. The coyote sat down and watched me, as I stood looking at it. After what seemed a long time but was actually only a minute or so, I thought to my self, “well if you’re just gonna sit there I’m gonna shoot you.”

I went to my truck, pulled my Marlin 30-30 from behind the seat, and chambered a round. The coyote continued to sit watching me. The instant I raised the rifle and pointed it at the coyote, it took off running and disappeared into the brush. I didn’t take a shot. It was as if it had never been there, a figment of my imagination. My conclusion was it had been shot at before! ::woot::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
big monk

Post by big monk »

A few more wildlife photos -- caught (2) more raccoons this morning ( probably the two in the picture, a big ""growling male & a timid female"" -- that's 6 coons & 1 possum -- maybe I'll have a little corn left for the deer now ::shrug:: :)
Attachments
IMG_0041 (2).JPG
IMG_0030 (2).JPG
IMG_0032 (2).JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mumbleypeg, as a kid on my Grandpa's farm up near Bonham I've had the same experience with crows. ::nod::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Cool critters at the feeder, Monk.

Regarding wild animals being able to recognize a gun - I think that the crows around the place where I grew up could definitely recognize a rifle or shotgun. Now days, I bet they would not: too many people and too few long guns in this area.

This morning I took advantage of a beautiful spring morning to put my kayak in a river. The water is still higher than i like, but the best it has been for a least four months. I launched shortly after sunrise. There was still mist rising off the water and generally it was about perfect. Saw one owl but not many other birds.
Attachments
Barred Owl
Barred Owl
Escatawpa River
Escatawpa River
Mel
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

The night shots are very cool BM ::tu:: ...

Mel - Great shot of that owl ::tu:: ... interesting you should mention crows - we have alot of barred owls of which I showed a few photos... anyway the main predator of these owls are crows :shock: ... a few years ago we came home to see owl feathers everywhere and the majority were on our roof along with the owl that was literally in pieces ::uc:: - we also have a fair amount of crows - and they don’t call them a murder of crows for nothing ::nod:: ... I guess the other side of nature and behavior is not always beautiful...

Post by jlw257 »

Watermelons are being planted in Southeast Mississippi ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
D40DAEBC-FC1B-4FDA-A957-931AD65A65B4.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dinadan wrote:Cool critters at the feeder, Monk.

Regarding wild animals being able to recognize a gun - I think that the crows around the place where I grew up could definitely recognize a rifle or shotgun. Now days, I bet they would not: too many people and too few long guns in this area.

This morning I took advantage of a beautiful spring morning to put my kayak in a river. The water is still higher than i like, but the best it has been for a least four months. I launched shortly after sunrise. There was still mist rising off the water and generally it was about perfect. Saw one owl but not many other birds.
Great owl pic Mel!!.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Great owl picture, Mel !!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thank you, Lee, Doglegg, and Doc!

Interesting that you refer to a murder of crows, Lee. I do not think I have ever met anyone who actually used that term. I encountered it long ago in some book I was reading, and I think it was at least a decade before I realized it was really a usage for a flock of crows. Same with an unkindness of ravens. That was in some poem I read and it was many years before I discovered that the (British) poet was just referring to a flock of ravens instead of making some kind of philosophical comment. But referring to the crow versus owl situation, crows just cannot stand the sight of an owl!

Larry - that is a big watermelon field. When I was in my teens I did summer work for a couple of local farmers. I probably developed half my upper body muscles loading watermelons. I do not miss those days at all!!!
Mel
RobesonsRme.com

DogLeg, this is the thread I posted re' my Brother-In-Law in March of 2013.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35642&hilit=Alzheimer%27s+disease

Sorry if this constitutes a derailing of the Outdoorsman thread.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
big monk

Post by big monk »

Great picture of the owl,Mel !!!!___________ amazing how they can turn their heads around 360 degrees, without popping their heads off ::woot::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:DogLeg, this is the thread I posted re' my Brother-In-Law in March of 2013.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35642&hilit=Alzheimer%27s+disease

Sorry if this constitutes a derailing of the Outdoorsman thread.

Charlie
Charlie, thanks for the thread, no derailing at all. Alzheimer robs one of life before their life is over and it robs all those who love the person as well. It is impartial and relentless. Thank you share sharing the rest of the story. ::handshake::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Dinadan wrote: This morning I took advantage of a beautiful spring morning to put my kayak in a river. The water is still higher than i like, but the best it has been for a least four months. I launched shortly after sunrise. There was still mist rising off the water and generally it was about perfect. Saw one owl but not many other birds.
Great owl pic Mel!! Love the call of a Barred Owl!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Great pic, Mel.
I'm jealous. I have yet to see an owl in the wild. :(
Hopefully this year we'll see one. My wife and I hope to make a few more treks in the woods than we made last year.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve Warden wrote:Great pic, Mel.
Hopefully this year we'll see one. My wife and I hope to make a few more treks in the woods than we made last year.
They like my barn and shop. I’m hoping they’re in there feasting on the mice!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Colonel,
Sounds like you might have need for a barn cat or two. :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Steve Warden wrote:Great pic, Mel.
Steve - sometimes I have gone years between owl sightings. I do not try to seek them out, but they are one of the top birds that I like to see. Generally the Barred Owls like the river swamps; that is the only place where I have heard and seen them. We also have Great Horned Owls and Eastern Screech Owls here. They are okay living in town, especially the older parts with fully mature Live Oaks and Pines. Probably more vermin in those areas, too. Just because they are here does not mean that I see them!
Mel
RobesonsRme.com

I hear owls after dusk all the time in my suburban neighborhood.

Sometimes, they are in the tall pines one door away or just across the street.

We live on the edge of The Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve, a city park.

I have seen one in flight.

Never seen one on a perch or detected any activity in daylight.

Sometimes, I try to talk them in closer by answering their calls. Hasn't worked yet. ::facepalm::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I'm not sure this counts as an owl sighting but many years back I saw and ow perched on a Shriner's temple across the street from my house at the time.

My wife advised it was a plastic owl used to deter pigeons, been there a while. Needless to say, I was disappointed with seeing a fake owl and my wife going up on me, again. :D
steve99f
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Dinadan wrote:Cool critters at the feeder, Monk.

...great pictures!!!.......

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”