Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks for the info about the onions, Colonel.

Very cool photos from your walk, JMH.
Mel
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thank You Garry, John and Mel. 🤝
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
TPK

Post by TPK »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:26 pm Nice critter pictures guys. ::tu:: ::tu::

Does outdoor cooking qualify for the Outdoorsman thread? My brother and his wife raised chickens and had them butchered recently, so I decided to fry a whole one up in the turkey cooker with some wings. 6 lb bird cooked at 325° for 30 minutes, did the wings for 15 minutes. Dry rubbed the chicken and wings prior to frying, turned out deliciously perfect. Crispy skin and moist on the inside. 😋
Hmmmm! Looks delicious! ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

jmh58 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 pm
doglegg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 pm Beautiful wander and a lovely one to wander with. ::nod:: ::nod::
Thank You Floyd!! 🤝 She is the best!! 💎
John 🤠
You are a lucky man. ::nod:: ::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:26 pm Nice critter pictures guys. ::tu:: ::tu::

Does outdoor cooking qualify for the Outdoorsman thread? My brother and his wife raised chickens and had them butchered recently, so I decided to fry a whole one up in the turkey cooker with some wings. 6 lb bird cooked at 325° for 30 minutes, did the wings for 15 minutes. Dry rubbed the chicken and wings prior to frying, turned out deliciously perfect. Crispy skin and moist on the inside. 😋
Looks sensational. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::sotb:: ::nod:: . Post it on the unofficial AAPK cookbook as well. :)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Awesome! Looks real good. Those turkey fryers are wonderful. They do real good catfish and shrimp boil too!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful pics John!!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Will do, cudgee. ::nod::

They do a mean Low Country Boil too, Colonel, and since it's just boiling water I'm not on edge. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

cudgee wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:57 pm
jmh58 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 pm
doglegg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 pm Beautiful wander and a lovely one to wander with. ::nod:: ::nod::
Thank You Floyd!! 🤝 She is the best!! 💎
John 🤠
You are a lucky man. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Yes I am. 👍💎💎👍
John 🤠

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:07 pm Wonderful pics John!!
Thank You Wade. 🤝
John 🤠

luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Nice pictures JMH. Fire towers use to be pretty common. Rare to find one still standing now a days. Have lot of memories of climbing them. Bear sightings are getting to be a regular thing around here Quick Steel. Hunting with dogs is most popular way. Only certain dog breeds are allowed.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

luckydog64 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 pm Nice pictures JMH. Fire towers use to be pretty common. Rare to find one still standing now a days. Have lot of memories of climbing them. Bear sightings are getting to be a regular thing around here Quick Steel. Hunting with dogs is most popular way. Only certain dog breeds are allowed.
Thank You!! ::handshake:: Was a little windy when we were up there.. We have a couple around here that people can climb and view to area.. Kinda Kool !! ::tu::
John :D

Samb

Post by Samb »

luckydog64 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 pm Nice pictures JMH. Fire towers use to be pretty common. Rare to find one still standing now a days. Have lot of memories of climbing them. Bear sightings are getting to be a regular thing around here Quick Steel. Hunting with dogs is most popular way. Only certain dog breeds are allowed.
What breeds are allowed?
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Anyone else seeing a lot of snakes this year? My friend / neighbor has killed 4 copperheads this month. My dog was bitten by a copperhead Sunday night (he is fine now). I have been searching the backyard with a spotlight every evening since Sunday, and saw a 5 ft rattler last night (he got into the bushes before I could get him) and killed a copperhead last night and again tonight. Also had saw two rat snakes in the last week, but let them go.
Attachments
Resized_20210624_213703.jpeg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:42 am Anyone else seeing a lot of snakes this year? My friend / neighbor has killed 4 copperheads this month. My dog was bitten by a copperhead Sunday night (he is fine now). I have been searching the backyard with a spotlight every evening since Sunday, and saw a 5 ft rattler last night (he got into the bushes before I could get him) and killed a copperhead last night and again tonight. Also had saw two rat snakes in the last week, but let them go.
Why do you think there is a lot of snakes around this year ???
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Yikes!!! Unk, Weatherford is proving to be the snake capital of Texas!!!
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

cudgee wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:37 am
Unk wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:42 am Anyone else seeing a lot of snakes this year? My friend / neighbor has killed 4 copperheads this month. My dog was bitten by a copperhead Sunday night (he is fine now). I have been searching the backyard with a spotlight every evening since Sunday, and saw a 5 ft rattler last night (he got into the bushes before I could get him) and killed a copperhead last night and again tonight. Also had saw two rat snakes in the last week, but let them go.
Hi Cudgee

I don't have any idea. It just seems they are worse some years than others. I had a friend down in Magnolia that was bitten on the foot by a copperhead last month. He spent the night in the hospital and sent him home in the morning. All they did was observe him.

The copperhead on the left in the pic bit my friend last night on the finger. His hand is all swollen up today to about his mid-fore arm. He didn't go to the doctor, but he did stay home from work today.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:26 pm
cudgee wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:37 am
Hi Cudgee

I don't have any idea. It just seems they are worse some years than others. I had a friend down in Magnolia that was bitten on the foot by a copperhead last month. He spent the night in the hospital and sent him home in the morning. All they did was observe him.

The copperhead on the left in the pic bit my friend last night on the finger. His hand is all swollen up today to about his mid-fore arm. He didn't go to the doctor, but he did stay home from work today.
Thanks mate, you watch where you step and stay safe, and keep an eye on the dogs. Don't want to be morbid, but over here the biggest cause of dog death is snake bite. :) ::handshake::
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Lol, killed another one tonight - the one on the middle. That's 3 consecutive nights! We are really watching our step around here after dark. They seem to come out around 9:30 - 10 pm.
Attachments
20210625_214437.jpg
Mike

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Well, we had a dry spell on Saturday and Sunday - didn't see any copperheads. I guess the snakes took the weekend off. But I was walking over to my truck this evening and found one coiled up under the carport right by my door. Then later we found a small one on the front porch of the shop. That's 5 copperheads in 6 nights.

I skinned the one by my truck. And I am finishing up another skin with some glycerin. I may attach the skins to some leather backing and make some handles for my walking sticks.

My buddy's hand is all healed up from the bite last Thursday - just a couple of blood blisters where the fangs got him. We shot 100 rounds of sporting clays yesterday, and his hand was fine. In fact, he beat me. :lol:
Attachments
20210628_200134.jpg
20210628_200145.jpg
20210628_205606.jpg
Little one
Little one
Mike

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

A girl at work got bit by a Copperhead in her driveway at night 2 years ago on the ankle, I think she stepped on it getting out of her car. She was fine after a trip to the hospital, but she says snakes still hang around in her area at night.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

AAD249C4-7DAA-4E7C-B245-E68B4821A997.jpeg
9E73F75C-16CF-4F0D-804D-D0DD5F68EDB0.jpeg
Found this guy on the trail with us yesterday!!
John 😎

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I used to fool around with snakes when I was a kid but any more they give me the creeps. About 30 years ago our little family was unloading the car at a pleasant boondocks site along a river I know about (the Tongue River, oddly enough). The dog was eager to start messing around in the bushes, of course. The next thing I knew I was watching a big bull snake licking my dog's nose, and then, believe it or not the dog licked the snake's nose. They both thought that was good enough and went their separate ways. True story.

Meanwhile, the real reason I came here was to ask for recommendations to buy a ferro rod (I think they call them). I have never used one but would like to give it a try. Thanks!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:24 pm Meanwhile, the real reason I came here was to ask for recommendations to buy a ferro rod (I think they call them). I have never used one but would like to give it a try.
You reminded me that I need to test mine out. Mine is a little bitty thing from Wazoo Survival Gear:

https://wazoosurvivalgear.com/collectio ... -with-hole

Wazoo also offers them in a toggle configuration and with no holes at all. A ceramic scraper is available, too. They seem to have placed compact size and easy concealment very high on the priority list, so I'd suggest attaching a ring and/or lanyard to it if you go that route. Hopefully I'll be able to give feedback on its performance soon.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”