Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jmh58

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by jmh58 »

Love those HAWK shots!! ::tu:: Super pics Tim!!! ::nod:: ::tu::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tim, I don't know what you currently do to make a living but I feel fairly confident that if you wanted to, you could make a living photographing wildlife or maybe just nature in general. Excellent.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Basser,

Those photos are over the top. Excellent skills. Thanks for sharing.

TW
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Thanks for the kind words fellas. They are much appreciated!
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Beautiful pics, Basser. We didn't see many hawks growing up, but now when I drive across Texas, I see them on every other light pole or fence post. Good to see them making a comeback.

I spent the weekend at the Deer lease. A buddy already had a buck when I got there Friday evening. I hunted out of my blind on Saturday and I got 5 hogs - 3 in the morning hunt and 2 in the evening hunt. I hunted with my Rem 700 in the morning, and my Colt AR in the evening. The first one that morning was this big 250 pounder. I didn't see anything moving on Sunday morning, but another buddy got a hog. Had a great time.
Attachments
Mike's Hog #1   250 pounder
Mike's Hog #1 250 pounder
Mike's Hog #5
Mike's Hog #5
Hog #5 chompers
Hog #5 chompers
Dan's Buck
Dan's Buck
Fire Pit
Fire Pit
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Unk do you process the meat from those hogs ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Unk.. That is just Bad Azzzz!!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu:: Congrats!!!
John :)

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Hi Phil, for the most part, no. The meat on the large older ones is not fit to eat. It is not like a commercial / domestic hog. The fat content is much lower, and the meat is tough, stringy, and does not taste good.

On the smaller ones (which is most of them), we take the back straps out, and those are decent eating. It costs $90 to $100 in our neck of the woods to have one processed. No one I know is going to spend that for questionable tasting meat. For the most part we are taking them out because their prolific reproduction makes it difficult if not impossible to control the population, and they cause a lot of damage to fields, crops, fencing, other wildlife, etc. The lease I am on is covered up in hogs. With 10 hunters on the lease, we aren't even making a small dent in the population.

Here's a recent article on their exploding population in Texas, and efforts to control them:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/03/hogs-ru ... oblem.html
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Unk - looks like a great time at the deer lease! Regarding the wild hogs edibility, seems like just about any male animal gets kind of rancid when it gets old. I am pretty sure my sisters and daughter would be quick to point out that it could apply to me also.
Mel
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thank you John.

Mel, I think I'm in that same boat. :lol:
Mike

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Unk, thanks for the link. Sounds like those wild hogs are a real problem for you folks. Even if they're not good to eat, I'd still love to hunt them.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good stuff Unk!!

WOuld love to go hunting again but they're ruled out the poor folks. Oh well.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Nice porker unk! I just got back from a doe hunt south of north Platte, ne and got one with my muzzle loader. but the high point of the trip was to get to see two huge elk racks that belong to the state. No one knows how they died but were found dead in a field, probably were wounded and died later or died of old age? ::tu:: Terry
Attachments
20181212_160952.jpg
20181213_143313.jpg
20181213_143314.jpg
20181213_143315.jpg
20181213_143333.jpg
20181213_143358.jpg
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Terry,
Congratulations on your doe for the freezer! What big antlers on those elk! Things we don't have in Florida and too all that white stuff you and the doe are in? Great pictures, by the way, what is your muzzle loader?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Good work Terry. Fantastic antlers and pics.
Thanks for sharing.

This season is a first for me to try duck hunting. Have been schooled a few sessions by mallards and gadwalls. Wood ducks have been almost impossible to connect with; they fly like fighter pilots done the edge of the trees.
1A17CAD2-A14E-4699-99D0-486929F258F3.jpeg
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Kool hunting Tony and Terry!! Congrats on the harvests!!!! ::tu::
John :D

terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

treefarmer, the muzzle loader is a inline Traditions .50 cal. I use a 245 gr power belt bullet and 100gr of Blackhorn powder. It has a scope on it also. Can't see open sights very good any more. It's pretty accurate up to 150 yards. I still have my old Lyman Great Plains rifle but the rifling is suitable for patch round balls only. These modern bullets are much more effective.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Unk, Terry, and Tony, good hunting gents and congratulations on the game. I’m enjoying your pictures and stories. Keep it up!

Ps. Nice cool day here in eastern NC, out for a deer hunt. Hunting out of a Tower Stand looking down a 327 yard lane in mixed hardwood and pine, about 500 yards from the river. Got my essentials with me. OH
Attachments
7367F60C-4805-4238-AB1B-DF7401D0F84E.jpeg
AA120A13-3FC5-4E7D-A1C7-24BC6577AE13.jpeg
0EFE78FB-DE85-4908-A271-DCB056B58904.jpeg
7A607C88-3344-4C1B-9A4C-954A1CBD2E2E.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Now Bruce, surely your essentials include a rifle? ::hmm:: ::poke::
Kill us a big one, brother!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Got my M88 with me Phil! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Good luck, Bruce!

It was 28 degrees and pitch dark when my buddy dropped me off at 6 am on Saturday. I use a little LED flashlight that clips onto the bill of my cap to keep my hands free while making my way through the brush into my stand in the dark. In my backpack I carry a couple of small but bright LED flashlights, rubber gloves, knives, AA and AAA batteries, SD cards and reader, some breakfast bars and a candy bar or two. On this morning I had also thrown in my fleece cap and a neck warmer. I also had an RTIC tumbler full of coffee.

One knife I added this summer has become my go-to knife for taking the backstraps out of hogs and cleaning deer is this Outdoor Edge Swingblaze. I really like the gutting blade. It goes right down the spine of a hog like it has a zipper on it. I can take the backstraps out in about 5 minutes and not even get my hands bloody.

In the bottom pic, you can see my stand in the background. I am sitting in the stand, and there is a dead hog laying on the left side of the picture, and another dead one off camera about 30 yards further to the left. That didn't seem to bother the group that trotted in about 30 minutes later. One of the hogs standing in the picture would be on the ground a couple of seconds after this picture was taken.
Attachments
20180501_210849.jpg
20180501_210950.jpg
Dead hog under feeder - but still more came in.
Dead hog under feeder - but still more came in.
Mike

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

MFDC0802.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks for the photo editing, Jerry!

I am going to enlist the help of my buddy's Polaris Ranger to drag that oil pipeline out of the way next time I am out there. I have had to wait on a few shots to make sure I don't hit it, and it will be a nasty stinky mess if I do accidentally hit it. I can hear oil swishing through it every few seconds while I am sitting in my stand. There are oil pipelines running all over the lease.

So the landowner has oil well royalties, is leasing it to a guy for cattle, and leasing it to us for hunting. I guess he is making money while he sleeps. :D
Mike

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice knife Mike - haven’t seen one like that before. My old M88 knocked down a good sized doe late this afternoon; 128 yard neck shot on a deer that weighed 123 lbs. That’s a big doe in these parts. Bullet went into the spine and traveled 5” in the spine blowing up vertebrae, then popped through a backstrap and balled up under the hide. OH
Attachments
54E61A20-0AAB-4964-806A-0C126599E749.jpeg
52305148-D8F6-4E28-A158-A39B81110239.jpeg
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Good shooting, Bruce!
Mike

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”