Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by Waukonda »

Here is a perfect example of "playing possum". I took these pics about 30 seconds apart, the first one I zoomed in from about 15' away. I walked in next to it, to force it into its' defense behavior, and it layed over and played dead for the 2nd pic.
Attachments
20201218_135600.jpg
20201218_135611.jpg
Ike
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Them's some teeth!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:02 pm Here is a perfect example of "playing possum". I took these pics about 30 seconds apart, the first one I zoomed in from about 15' away. I walked in next to it, to force it into its' defense behavior, and it layed over and played dead for the 2nd pic.
Those are some great pics!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

'round these parts, armadillos are called 'possum on the half-shell'.
Comes with its own bowl and spoon ... !
:lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:33 pm
1967redrider wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:53 am Doc, I know nothing about Armadillos. They don't look snuggly, do they smell bad? I think they have claws for digging. Do they bite too?
Armadillos don’t typically fear humans or dogs, and their eyesight is extremely weak so they don’t typically run. They’re typically nocturnal. When they do run they’re fast. I’ve never heard of an armadillo biting anyone but their claws are fearsome strong and to be avoided. To live-trap one you need a trap with a heavy duty cage else they will tear it up trying to escape. They don’t normally smell bad. And they’re definitely not snuggly - I don’t think there’s a soft spot on one, unless it’s the hairy belly! ::woot:: ::woot:: (BTW I’ve read they can be carriers of leprosy).

Armadillos eat grubs and earthworms so they dig holes in turf and gardens. They’re especially fond of areas that have been irrigated (more worms, easier digging). They also dig burrows several feet deep in which they stay when not out foraging. A few years ago one dug a burrow under our front porch. The best deterrent is “lead poisoning”.

Ken

Thanks for the info, Ken. We have groundhog problems, they'll dig holes in hay fields and barns/sheds. They really tear things up.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Doc B wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 am Most days, on our walk, we encounter 1-2 armadillos. They aren't overly afraid of people or dogs. If you had a fish net, you could catch one...not that you would want to catch one for any reason.
Armadillo.jpg
Doc, we were at the deer lease last year, standing around the camp fire one night when an armadillo came walking right in amongst us. My buddy reached down an picked him up by the tail and walked over and tossed him back into the bushes, and we watched him waddle off into the darkness (the armadillo, not my friend) :lol:

We see them regularly, but never had one walk right into camp. We were talking, laughing, and making quite a bit of noise, along with a decent sized fire. I guess he wanted to see what the hub-bub was, or maybe he wanted a cold one. We also had hogs and deer run through camp a couple of times.
Attachments
20190719_233900.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Unk wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 pm
Doc B wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 am Most days, on our walk, we encounter 1-2 armadillos. They aren't overly afraid of people or dogs. If you had a fish net, you could catch one...not that you would want to catch one for any reason.
Armadillo.jpg
Doc, we were at the deer lease last year, standing around the camp fire one night when an armadillo came walking right in amongst us. My buddy reached down an picked him up by the tail and walked over and tossed him back into the bushes, and we watched him waddle off into the darkness (the armadillo, not my friend) :lol:

We see them regularly, but never had one walk right into camp. We were talking, laughing, and making quite a bit of noise, along with a decent sized fire. I guess he wanted to see what the hub-bub was, or maybe he wanted a cold one. We also had hogs and deer run through camp a couple of times.
For the most part...they just continue to root around, while my dog is right next to them. Occasionally they scurry off and my dog will chase after them a bit. It's virtually a daily occurrence. I too thought they were mostly nocturnal...but; these are out in the daytime.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

This afternoon I went to the "condo" around 4 pm. Pulled my old .243 up with my little nylon cord and got settled in and around 4:10 I saw a deer come out of the woods on the west and started moving toward the feeder in the pines. I lost sight of him for a few minutes then he came out of some thick brush and moved around the feeder area. The feeder is about 130 yards from the shooting house. I noticed through my binoculars he was at least legal so I took a crack at him. He jumped and ran south west and I lost sight of him. Went back to the house and got Flossie, the Aussiedor and as I got near the feeder she jumped out of the cart and headed through the pines and bushes. She stopped about 100 foot from the feeder, she had found the little buck. We have some real cool weather coming for a few days and this one will hang outside in a fly bag as long as we can.
Flossie found her deer.
Flossie found her deer.
Getting read to hang him up.
Getting read to hang him up.
Working with my old well worn #39 Queen.
Working with my old well worn #39 Queen.
Cooling off high off the ground.
Cooling off high off the ground.
I'm thankful for another deer to start this season. I'm going to keep trying as long as I'm able. It's a bit sad to think several folks quite a bit younger than myself have given up "goin' to the woods", they say they're are "too old". ::shrug:: One day I'll kill my last one and I hope this isn't him. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

You keep going long as you can, you like it and it's good for the soul and the table. You look like you have a few more years left yet. ::tu:: ::nod::
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Good for you TreeFarmer my freezer is empty this year...
Never Doubt Your Dawg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Congrats tf.. ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:14 am I'm thankful for another deer to start this season. I'm going to keep trying as long as I'm able. It's a bit sad to think several folks quite a bit younger than myself have given up "goin' to the woods", they say they're are "too old". ::shrug:: One day I'll kill my last one and I hope this isn't him. :)
Treefarmer
Nice job.

When I was young and absolutely crazy about deer hunting, I realized there were a lot of older guys I knew who had once been avid hunters but gave it up later in life. I never could figure that out.

As I approach 60, I still get excited about deer hunting but have a harder time prying myself out of bed to go. I started wondering if I was getting to that age where I would drift away from it. But once I get out there that first morning, I remember how much I enjoy being in the woods for sunrise. And once I see that first deer and my heart starts racing, I realize I still have the desire.

I hope you are able to hunt as long as you'd like!
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations Treefarmer. And good work by Aussiedor.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Tf, nicely done Sir . Looks like that will be good eating. It’s a good feeling getting fresh meat in the freezer, hope you fill yours . Now that we’re on that subject, going to grab a package or 2 of Venison and bluegills out of freezer on my way back up to the house.
Take care down there Philip and get out there and enjoy as much as you can.
JP
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Congratulations TF ::handshake:: gooood eating
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Congratulations TF! I hope it’s the first of many more this year and for years to come.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the kind comments, fellers! ::handshake::
I still go hunting in the mornings but not nearly as often as I do in the afternoons. When I was gainfully employed, PTR (prior to retirement), most days I would get off work at 3:30 pm, giving me just enough time to hurry home and out the back door and down to the woods. I killed about as many as anyone else and most were in the last half hour of daylight. Another thing said for afternoon hunt starting around 4 pm, you can't stay all day like when you go in the morning and there are always things to do at home. ::hmm::
I've learned to be more deliberate since I'm almost 3/4 of a century old. No more running up and down a ladder like a monkey, one careful step at a time. Might have been in better shape now if I had been more deliberate years ago.
As for trophy hunting, a legal deer is a trophy to me. I've killed a few nice ones and a bunch that lots of folks would pass because of size. Our little farm is only 80 acres and if he crosses the property line after I've fed him all year on green Rye, clover and shelled corn, the neighbors around me wont let him walk either. It takes a pretty good chunk of land to manage for antler growth unless all surrounding property owners are in agreement.
I'll keep on fiddling along as the Lord allows me to be in the woods, then maybe some of the young fellers will take pity on me and bring me a back strap now and then. ::nod::
Here's a few good ones from the past that Miss Joy has allowed me to put in the living room:
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
Treefarmer

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Very nice, Philip. Nice racks.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WoW!! 👍👍 Nice racks!!👏👏
John ✌️

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

jmh58 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:34 pm WoW!! 👍👍 Nice racks!!👏👏
John ✌️
Last time " I " said that, i got a slap in the face. ::facepalm:: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very nice TF! I agree with you completely about the afternoon hunts. Here on my place they show up right before dark. I’ve always had better lock in the evening.
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

😂😂
John ✌️

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

If 🎅 is late here's the reason they stopped for a snack. :lol: ::woot:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
20201224_162539.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::tu::
Treefarmer

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mission Christmas Camp Life

Food: Chili, Smoking venison tenderloin, Corned Beef Hash & Eggs tacos (the boys love 'em)!
Attachments
20201222_142209.jpg
20201223_120727.jpg
20201223_121140.jpg
20201222_160212.jpg
20201223_065551.jpg
20201223_084540.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”