Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Tony_Wood

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by Tony_Wood »

TripleF wrote:Had a new kid with us yesterday....one of the boys dad decided to attend a mission!! Even lit his first ever fire....with a ferro rod and the
magical fatwood (He's spoiled now for lighting future fires...lol).

Wild edibles: Sword Fern Tubers
Scott, great mission. Keeping those youn fellas active is keeping you active! Your time invested in their lives will live on the rest of their lives.
Glad for both you and the young men.

Side note: that T-shirt weather sure does look appealing.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great mission Scott. Did the non verbal young man make this one too? ::tu:: ::tu::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Scott - looks like some very cool missions for the boys!

Doc - I really like the Bobcat photo. I have lived in Bobcat country for sixty five years and lived and worked in the woods for decades. I have seen exactly one Bobcat in that time. They are pretty common here judging by the tracks I have seen and by the numbers that the Bobcat hunters kill with dogs, but they sure are secretive.
Mel
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

doglegg wrote:Great mission Scott. Did the non verbal young man make this one too? ::tu:: ::tu::

Thanks Floyd. Not this one....wasn't invited. All kids are invited but I am moving more towards "focusing" my time so
I don't ignore kids because there is too many.

I do have an appointment to talk to him again this Sunday though! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

TripleF wrote:
doglegg wrote:Great mission Scott. Did the non verbal young man make this one too? ::tu:: ::tu::

Thanks Floyd. Not this one....wasn't invited. All kids are invited but I am moving more towards "focusing" my time so
I don't ignore kids because there is too many.

I do have an appointment to talk to him again this Sunday though! ::tu::
Hope it has a positive effect on him. Thank you taking time with the young fellow. ::nod::
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Fly fishing season is open!
Attachments
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Eustace ::tu:: ::tu:: :) ... What species is that fish? Looks like what we call a White fish?? ::hmm::

Post by Eustace »

LongBlade wrote:Eustace ::tu:: ::tu:: :) ... What species is that fish? Looks like what we call a White fish?? ::hmm::
Lee, this is chub:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squalius_cephalus

How is the leg? Can we expect pictures of your fishing trips soon?
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Eustace ::tu:: ... Another name for Chub here is whitefish :D ... often see a few mixed in the trout rivers...
Eustace wrote:
How is the leg? Can we expect pictures of your fishing trips soon?
I probably won’t be doing much trout fishing but my primary fly fishing is in the ocean and tidal backwater... at this moment I couldn’t fish as the leg is not there yet - I’ll see middle of May when striped bass are here... unfortunately may be a tough year for fishing as recovery from my understanding can be a year... very slow but to regain full strength and gait takes a long time - even still have swelling from 5 months ago :(

Post by zoogirl »

I went fishing with the family this past Sunday. Grand total of the catch?
One medium bullhead. ::facepalm::
He’s back in the river, all ready to annoy someone else. My six year old granddaughter got him.
We had a great time anyway. This dock is on the Fraser River, at New Westminster. (That’s in BC Canada). The building at the top of the ramp used to be a warehouse for the BC Penitentiary. It’s long gone, but the warehouse and castlelike gatehouse remain. The gatehouse is now a pub and the grounds are covered in townhouses.
The bridge is the Pattulo, built in 1937.
As you can see, the river is quite wide here. Some of the biggest sturgeon in the world have been caught right around there.

The people are my sons, Dan and Josh, Dan’s daughter, Lexie, Josh’s girlfriend Ty and her little guy Antonio. Josh and Ty have the matching hair! ::woot::
3900F31F-BFCB-497D-AAC4-1662613260F3.jpeg
3247C59F-B6F8-488C-82BC-06542C100A07.jpeg
51ADDF14-D352-4115-8E6B-311A28D49A32.jpeg
0D35F8E6-C3EF-41A1-A969-0FE981C7A034.jpeg
1769C572-D492-4428-B5A2-6A58C5DB03A2.jpeg
33DA9E04-05AA-4635-B443-8875D8BB7474.jpeg
7F194FDE-79F7-4B04-BD7E-620E2C25FAC4.jpeg
C479E5A3-B098-46AA-A7B9-CC32AE92789D.jpeg
4703AF8E-FAE8-4845-A3AF-74D586D50D9D.jpeg
F3D030B8-484F-4926-8D01-86C331E1E763.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice fishing photos, Zoogirl and Eustace. The weather in my part of the world has been just wretched for the past two months. Seems like every day is either raining or very windy. It is nice to see that some folks are still enjoying the ourdoors!
Mel
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Wed./Thu. Camping trip.
High Wed. was 58!!! Low yesterday was 42 ::ds::
Attachments
20190306_124941.jpg
20190307_080900.jpg
20190307_075533.jpg
20190306_193622.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
big monk

Post by big monk »

Looking good gang !!!!!! I think we are all ready for some spring/summertime weather !!! ::nod:: Always enjoy seeing you folks enjoying the outdoors ,as I do !!!!!

After looking at all Phillip's (AKA treefarmer) deer pictures,I went and got me a trail camera to watch the feeder, this summer__ just to see what eats all my corn ::hmm:: ( I only feed,10 seconds morning & 10 seconds evening ) keeps em' interested,since the loggers have cut most of our acorn trees** _ them deer have plenty of help from the raccoons,squirrels,crows, & dove munching on the corn ( raccoon in 4th picture,under the feeder ) I put a trap out today,to see if I can catch a few of the raccoons ( my neighbor says,we can sell em' for $20 each ?? ) we shall see ::hmm:: __ excited to play with the camera,just to see what goes on,when we are not hunting :) ____ have a great day,my friends___ Monk** :)
Attachments
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good stuff, big monk! We had such a messed season due to Hurricane Michael, I haven’t put the cameras out since Thanksgiving, I sure miss checking them once a week. You have charged my battery! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Glad to get that ""battery charged "" for ya' Phillip !!! :) ___ now get them cameras out & let the fun begin ::nod::

Caught my first ""Corn Bandit"" last night** in a live trap ____ could tell it was him,from the mask he was wearing ::hmm:: ____ some of my buddies,that coon hunt said they will turn him loose and give him about 1/2 hour head start,before they release the hounds, then the race is on !!!!! ____ oh well, ( 1 down & several more to go ) ::tu:: __________have a great day,my friends,Monk**
Attachments
IMG_0001 (2).JPG
IMG_0004 (2).JPG

MONK****
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

These fat acrobats, showed up on my last pictures. Broke my solar charger wire. I put some oil on the legs of the feeder...
MFDC0087.jpg
MFDC0106.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
big monk

Post by big monk »

Those "" fat acrobats"" will definitely destroy a feeder,to get to the corn ___ gnawing the wires & plastic till they get what they're after :x

Those corn bandits, are some "whoppers"", but then again ""everything is big in Texas"" ::groove::

MONK****
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great pics Big Monk. Always surprising what you will see around the feeder. I think the one you caught is trying to charm you with those big brown eyes. Don't get a finger too close. ::tu::
big monk

Post by big monk »

Yes dog, I know what ya' mean !~!~!! I __ I use my pliers & gloves when fooling with these "angry critters"" ( saves on the fingers ) ::paranoid::

#2 __ Got another one this morning, __ he was really un-happy and was hissing,snarling, & snapping at Ol'Monk ?? ::hmm:: he calmed down after I put a towel over the trap for his ride up the road -- my buddies ran the first one with hounds for a few hours last night and will give this guy a run tonight** -- One thing I have found out about these raccoons is they ""LOVE"" marshmallows better than they do corn ( marshmallows are coon cocaine,for sure ::groove:: ) -- later my friends,Monk :)
Attachments
IMG_0005 (2).JPG
IMG_0006 (2).JPG

MONK****
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...I can't help but like anything with a face like that!!!......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Now big monk, that ain't fair. That's like going to the fancy plantation and shootin' pen raised quail birds that have been set just prior to the hunt. Come to think about it, you might could start a new business setting the coon off a bit before your buddies turn the hounds out down by the creek. Next coon you catch put 'em a little holding pen and wait for the phone to ring. You'd answer and say, "big monk's coon placing service, can I help you?" There are still a few old timers that like to butcher a coon and if you feed them enough marshmallows you can keep 'em fat and healthy, ready to run or ready for the oven with the sweet taters. Which brings up another possibility, plantin' sweet potatoes so it could be a " one stop shopping experience" for those yearning for a platter of coon and sweet taters.......endless entrepreneurial possibilities ::hmm:: ::poke::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Dang Phillip --- you tryin' to get me outa' retirement and back into the business world ::dang:: makes my head hurt,just thinkin' about it ::sotb:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ::tu::

MONK****
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Doc B, the raccoons were tearing up my feeder, too. I attached a varmint cage over the bottom mechanism, and that solved the problem.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

big monk wrote:Those "" fat acrobats"" will definitely destroy a feeder,to get to the corn ___ gnawing the wires & plastic till they get what they're after :x

Those corn bandits, are some "whoppers"", but then again ""everything is big in Texas"" ::groove::
It’s a tough job, but sometimes ya gotta do it. A sardine or a piece of frozen shrimp works great.

Ken
Attachments
Raccoon pipe trap
Raccoon pipe trap
3C799934-F800-421C-A5E0-BC7473C76182.jpeg (22.42 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
316A682B-6245-4B52-B4FB-AA4F30F2AAE5.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
big monk wrote:Those "" fat acrobats"" will definitely destroy a feeder,to get to the corn ___ gnawing the wires & plastic till they get what they're after :x

It’s a tough job, but sometimes ya gotta do it. A sardine or a piece of frozen shrimp works great.

Ken
How does that work?

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”