First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
wv trapper

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by wv trapper »

Good morning from the Mountain State, it's 27* here and snow on the way. My weekend to work, and I'd say we'll be busy with skiers at the resort. Critters will be happy they have something to eat and my coffee is making so I'll be happy. On the way home I stopped by the gun shop to look around and they had a nice Uncle Henry LB7 that needed to be cleaned up for twenty bucks. That's about it from here you all have a good and safe day.
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good Morning. Currently 32, going to be in the 30s all day with a chance of light snow.

Saw a flock of Black Vultures working over a carcass in a field. Couldn't see what it was but it was about the right size for a calf. These vultures are still infrequent around here.

I expect to be rearranging my office today. Picked up lots more suet and feed yesterday.

Take care, stay safe especially if your on the road today. [Just was outside. We got some light snow last night.}
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

MArvelous temps forecasted for the next 2 weeks.....lots of 60's and 40's. Best winter I remember!!!

Coffee pumping in like a tanker right now. Ready for ChuckWagon to begin!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' guys and gal. Nuthin much going on and nuthin much to report on here. Our state capitol has been closed and is heavily guarded in preparation for the inaugural. I hope everyone goes home safe and healthy.
At 36º and headed for about 60º all is well with the weather.
Hope your day is a good one. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Good Morning and Happy Saturday all. Chilly 33 and a little breezy on my hill when I got up this a.m. The weatherman says it's only going to get in the High 40's but will remain breezy most of the day making that wind chill feel like the 30's. Just makes the coffee that much better. Not much planned today, go by and check on my mom, plus my better-half ordered a storage cabinet for her hobby room, so I guess I will put that together today. Hope ya'll have a blessed day!! ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Our "snow" storm turned into a rainy drizzly uneventful kind of thing. There isn't much of anything else worth reporting from the not so frozen Northland. Have a great weekend. _____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Fellers.
35 here in LA this morning, see some scattered frost as the sun gets above the horizon. Our son and his little family are coming to visit today, haven't seen them since Thanksgiving. So we'll be having another Christmas with the youngest grandson. Miss Joy has left all her Christmas decorations up for this occasion. All I have to do is hide all the tools that I keep on the woods cart so they'll be where I can find them. Several packages of venison ham has thawed out for frying for our noon meal. Should be an interesting day.
Hope y'all have a great day.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning all, just now rolled out of bed, moving slow, coffee ought to help that . Weather here much like Dave said ,rainy, dreary ,good day to stay inside. Wife and I will head to Post
Office to mail out a couple paintings she sold . Then off to Wally World for a few Supplies .
On a different topic, mail seems to be getting back to normal . Bought some things last week and they’ve shown up already . One item bought from Sanders knives came in 5 days ::tu:: . By the way ,great service and prices also. So if you got anything in the system hopefully it will arrive ,or get found soon enough.
Okay knifers, that’s a wrap for this a.m. , you all have a good one. Keep the wind at your back ,and enjoy your journey today ::tu::
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We got a little skiff of snow early this morning. Just enough to let us know Old Man Winter is still around.

JP, I've had the same results from the Post Office. On the other hand my package that was stuck in Palatine is still stuck in Palatine. Maybe it'll be here by the 4th of July.

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:34 am
Saw a flock of Black Vultures working over a carcass in a field. Couldn't see what it was but it was about the right size for a calf. These vultures are still infrequent around here.
Interesting but little known factoid:

What is a group of black vultures called?

A group of vultures is called a committee, venue, or volt. In flight, a flock of vultures is a kettle, and when the birds are feeding together at a carcass, the group is called a wake
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Wake is certainly appropriate. Do you know what a large flying formation of Starlings is called? This is when you see hundreds of them twisting and turning in spectacular patterns.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not without looking it up. Enlighten me please.

Edit: I was to impatient so I looked it up. They're called a Murmuration. Where did they come up with all these names for group's of critters, like a Murder of crows.

Did you just know that off the top of your head?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 🌡34 with a dusting of snow overnight, ain't gonna warm up much according to the Heather the weather girl.
The critters have been fed. Sissy played in the white although she didn't act like she was happy about at first.
Trash day and possibly a TSC run.
Hope yawl have a good'un and be safe out there. ::handshake:: ps. Jerry I think someone wrote about that murmuration thing the other day, maybe in the bird thread. 🐦🤔 ::handshake::
Attachments
20210116_064820.jpg
20210116_064813.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:24 pm ps. Jerry I think someone wrote about that murmuration thing the other day, maybe in the bird thread. 🐦🤔 ::handshake::
Joe, I started the bird thread but I haven't visited it since. I have no interest in birds.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

39 currently, with a high of only 45 and 12 mph winds. Certainly mild compared
to some of you ... but a good day to hibernate, I think.

Yawl be safe out there . . . . ::handshake::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:32 pm
bighomer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:24 pm ps. Jerry I think someone wrote about that murmuration thing the other day, maybe in the bird thread. 🐦🤔 ::handshake::
Joe, I started the bird thread but I haven't visited it since. I have no interest in birds.
Yes you did good buddy, and I appreciate it and you, because I enjoy birds and seeing all the birds from different places. Good on you brother. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Whew. Got here before Noon.
Coffee was good.
Ended the week at 32.29.
Not the best ever but certainly not the worst.
Got some things I need at O'Reilly.
Have shot primer at a Hotwheels that needs more sanding.
That is coming up soon.
Looking for the magic penny!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Afternoon, everyone. Been out since sunrise working on deer blinds and feeders - taking tarp skirts off tripods, removing batteries from feeders if they were empty, checking corn levels in the ones that aren't empty yet, removing and moving game cameras. Still have a few of those out for feral hog tracking.

Also, we checked out potential locations to move a couple of stands for next year. One blind needs reorientation for better sigth lines, another needs brush cutting and reorientation and one needs to flat be moved. All the deer seen at the short tripod stand were seen BEHIND the tripod and up the hill 200 yards from where it was set up, so that one needs to be moved, period.

Hope everyone has a safe weekend.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mornin'.

Coffee's on.

56.....headin' to 61 ::ds::
SCOTT

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

29 currently, headed for 53 today.

Not much to report here. The gas man came by to 'clean' our old heater yesterday.
Runs fine on one brick, but when I turned it up to three bricks, it ran about
an hour and the shut off again. oh, well, I guess that saves gas .. .. ..
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Good morning you all from the Mountain State, it's 29* here and light snow falling, we got 4 or 5" yesterday and more on the way. Scott 61* sounds good to me, the older I get the less I like this cold weather. I guess I better get moving I have to work today, have a good and safe day where your at!
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

wv trapper wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 am Good morning you all from the Mountain State, it's 29* here and light snow falling, we got 4 or 5" yesterday and more on the way. Scott 61* sounds good to me, the older I get the less I like this cold weather. I guess I better get moving I have to work today, have a good and safe day where your at!
And the colder it gets here.....the more I like it!! I am originally from Rochester NY area. ::nod::
SCOTT

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. We are suppose to be in a slight cool down here too but nothing real cold for now. I made quick trip to town(Duluth) yesterday and picked up 9 more of my late friend Dave's knives. There are still some pretty nice ones left but nothing like when I first started picking through them. I got a mint Henckles pearl 5 blade (counting the scissors and corkscrew) that wasn't marked last time I bought a batch of them. It still wasn't marked but we called the shop owner and he took my $50 offer without knowing what the knife even looked like. Two of the other knives are pearl whittlers that I got for about $20 each and one was a NYK and the other is a high rated, by Levine anyway, German knife. I'll post some pictures in a day or two in Knife Finds of the Day. Church in a few hours, lunch with one of our Grand-daughters, and then a little light knife cleaning this afternoon. Have a great Sunday.____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin, Boys.
It's 29 here in the Florida Panhandle and it's 29 in WV but at least it ain't snowin'. Something is wrong with that picture! ::shrug:: At least the skies are clear this morning before the sun comes up. I was so tired of the cold, wet, dreary weather we had the last couple of weeks.
Coffee is ready to drink and warm my innards. :)
Church in a few hours, once the sun comes up it should run the temperature up a bit.
Here I go again about the weather, yesterday the high was 53 but there was a northwest wind that made you appreciate a warm house! My son brought several weapons to shoot after our "Christmas meal" with he and his family. I got cold out watching them shoot and picking helping them pick up brass.
Hope y'all have a wonderful Sunday!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I see we got more snow during the night. Bleh! Winter is only about half over with and already I'm sick up and fed with it. Oh well. Tis what it tis. As long as I keep paying the gas bill, I'm not going to freeze to death.

My best to all. Stay warm, stay safe.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' folks. I slept in this morning sure enjoyed it. Other than online church, this will be another day with nothing much to report.
The temp is 41º and I am guessin' it will get to about 70º this afternoon.
Hope you all have a blessed day. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”