First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
bighomer

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 🌡70 up to the 90's, hazy with high ozone levels. Not good for ole folks and those with breathing problems. Boss doesn't want me out side to much so I guess I'll sneak out for a few minutes and then back in
For a rest.
Got the grass cut yestiddy so nothing really pushing me.
Oh well the critters are fed and the dishes warshed, relaxing now with a fresh cuppa joe and pondering again.
Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Afternoon y'all.
Had to soak the dumpster in Insect reproduction inhibiter.
Did not leave work until just before 1pm.
Because of this I did not have to take my Dad to Lowes instead my Sister did.
Decent coffee this morning.
Got some cars in the mail.
Only two of them have dates.
A 65 Impala and an 83 Thunderbird.
Looking for the magic penny!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Morning everyone, hope your week is going well, Diner open and up and running. Coffee is good, and grill is open. Have a good one. ::tu::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Morning, have some good coffee to get started with. 68-90 and sunny. Happy trails!
David
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

Gotta dentist appoint. this am for a crown .. .. not looking forward to that.
Maybe another load of laundry, and that'll be my day. Exciting, ain't it . . . .
:(

Yawl have a grand pre-Friday :mrgreen:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. A friend came last night to cut 14 large poplar trees from around our driveway that were too big for me to cut because of their location (power lines, buildings, etc.) and made quick work of them, at least getting them on the ground. Now one or two of my boys and I have to cut them up and clean up a huge pile of branches. No time today or tomorrow, but before the snow flies. It suppose to cool down for a day or two and then back up in the 90's. Have a great Thursday.____Dave
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

djknife13 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:18 am Good morning. A friend came last night to cut 14 large poplar trees from around our driveway that were too big for me to cut because of their location (power lines, buildings, etc.) and made quick work of them, at least getting them on the ground. Now one or two of my boys and I have to cut them up and clean up a huge pile of branches. No time today or tomorrow, but before the snow flies. It suppose to cool down for a day or two and then back up in the 90's. Have a great Thursday.____Dave

Man, would love to help mprocess those trees pal. Me and a couple boys, we'd have a blast.....but instead we'll be doing it here today, at the local park
as we search out perfect firewood for tomorrow's meals.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Boys and the rest to come later. ::handshake::
Dave, are the Poplar trees something to make lumber or fire wood? It's interesting you mentioned snow, Miss Joy and I were talking about that the other morning, wondering when folks in the North will be getting the 1st snow.
Chris, hope your dental appointment goes well.
Today is work day and there is a chance of rain according to the NWS, a few small showers going on down near the coast. There is a Boston Butt in the oven making the house smell good this morning, she had it come on around 2:30 this morning. A mess of sweet potatoes are slated to go in the oven after the meat gets done and who knows what else will be ready for our noon meal.
We've been blessed with the temperatures staying in the high 80's for several weeks, it seems like we should be experiencing 90 degrees more often. Of course August and its' heat are still on the way and we'll ready for the slight cooling in late September. ::hmm::
Y'all have a great Thursday!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning All, thought would squeeze in a few minutes here this morning . Been very busy with helping the Brother and nephews with getting these 2 bldgs on schedule. The multi family project is at the 3 rd floor and we should be on the 4 th floor by now,and one of the new
Hotels we just got started on they were 3 weeks behind on the Foundation,so full throttle on that one. Then our old theater ,which is our Church,we are nearing completion of the remodel , and struggling to find help. All the skilled help is back to working overtime so that leaves a couple of us retired tradesmen to wrap it up . So that’s my gig lately , have a meeting with Masons at 8, so took a little time off b4 that to get caught up here and mail some knives ,etc,etc.
How’s the rest of the FCD crew doing! Sounds like weather has some hiding out due to heat and smoke from fires . The Moon has a Orange glow all night from the haze in the air. Air quality is not the best up here . Mn. Dave,how’s the air up there by the border? Sounds like you’re staying busy up there.
Philip, your shoulder seems to be allowing you to get back at it, hope it is healing up well.
L boy, that’s cool that you’re helping grandson with his car,and getting him off to college .
Ray ,how’s it going down there,you been doing alright? You haven’t stopped by in a few days,is all okay?
Cudgee my Friend,you stay warm over there . Keep me posted on your sharpening device.
Chris, enjoy your day offhope you get out and find something fun to do besides laundry .
Boji, you mentioned crime and small businesses,espically pawn shops. A business associate of ours owns a few pawn shops here, and has all employees carry and pays for target practice. That and some other personal training ,gives them more confidence,but it’s like you said,not if ,but when it’ll happen. Even the small communities aren’t exempt anymore.
Okay Folks, need to get get into the big gear here and pack a lunch and roll shortly. Enjoy, or at least smile once in awhile and have a good one ::tu::
JP
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Phil, these are going for pulp. The mills around here buy it. I gave them to the friend who took them down for me. They do make really nice paneling but I don't want to mess with them for that. They are gopher wood as far a firewood is concerned. You throw it in the fireplace and "go fer more". I heated my house with poplar for several years when we first built just because I had so much of it and it was free for the taking.____Dave
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' folks. Not much to report on here. I am going to be dragged to an oyster bar by the Bride and a daughter at lunchtime. As you can tell, I am not excited at the prospect. It is currently 72º and headed for the mid-to-high 90s this afternoon.
Hope you all have a great day today.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Good Morning Everyone,
67 degrees and like most everyone else we have smoky skies. Just checking in and don't have much planned for the day. Everyone stay safe and healthy!
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Ripster wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:51 am
Boji, you mentioned crime and small businesses,espically pawn shops. A business associate of ours owns a few pawn shops here, and has all employees carry and pays for target practice. That and some other personal training ,gives them more confidence,but it’s like you said,not if ,but when it’ll happen. Even the small communities aren’t exempt anymore.
We carry some of the time but there is always a 12ga under the main counter. Both of us are trained.
Have had 2 overnight breakins, both times dumb kids. 1st time was handguns, one was a Browning Renaissance (very easily IDd) Kid showed it to a regular customer to ask her to by ammo for it because he was too young. Busted!
Second time, kids on bicycles, young cop chased one down on foot and tackled him. Busted!
Both were years ago

Work today. Have knives to mail first so need to get moving

Be good humans
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks what's left of it. 🌡70 heading to the upper 80's. Almost feel like I'm living on top of ole smokey looking at our atmosphere around here.
Critters are fed, no dishes to warsh cause sissy had a early morning vet appointment and the boss took us out for breakfast.
Nothing much planned, do a little yard work ,then get out of the smoke for a bit. It's rough but somebody's got to do it.
Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I was ready to go and Susan (one of the Bosses) said build the other Rocking Chair.
So I clocked out at 12:16
Coffee needed a whole extra spoon of sugar.
I am most likely talking jibberish.
Looking for the magic penny!
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

I had been putting off doing the crown. Darn dentists kept hitting me up, like used car salesmen.
So, the wife made this appointment for me. So I went . . .
Get in the chair and the little D.A. sez I'm getting two fillings and the crown !
2 hours in the chair, needed an extra shot just to be sure.
I made a "Little Shop of Horrors" joke (the dr got it, the assistant did not ...)
Other than a stiff jaw and sore where the injections went I'm good .

And so . . . Welcome to Friday. FCD is open for all
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Mornin Chris and crew. Glad ya survived the dentist Chris. 73-94 an sunny. Happy trails!
David
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Thanks for opening up Chris, one thing that has got better over time is dental treatment. :)
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning Fellas,Boji,hope all is well . Coffee is tasting good and much needed . Going to be hot,humid day here,weather guessers have said maybe over 100 with heat,humidity. Not used to that up here ,fortunately Friday’s we shut down the job sites at noon and get everyone paid ,so just have to be productive till then . Up on that 3 rd floor with no shade is a bear ,had to send a couple of guys home yesterday . You all be careful out there in this weather.
Received a email regarding the Janesville show and meetings. Badger knife club is having its first meeting tomorrow in a year and a half. And the spring show is a go,so reserving a room and table tonight.
Well Ladies and Gents ,it’s time to Rock and Roll ,pack a sandwich and throw some ice in water coolers.
Be Safe out there ,stay cool .
JP
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' guys and Boji. It is 75º and headed for the mid-to high 90s this afternoon. Nothing much going on otherwise. Too hot to do much of anything.
Hope you all have a good day.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. We are putting up trusses today in the heat. I would love another day to get things ready before trusses but here we go, and with that I gotta run. have a good Friday.____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Folks.
JP, you make gettin' ready for work sound so exciting! ::poke:: The old saying about the bear trying to get us is a real thing. We hit 94 yesterday and the humidity wasn't as high as usual but the "feel Like" temperature was 103. It's hot and folks need to be careful. This time of the year was always the worst for us when we worked with the school district. The teachers were coming back and everything needed to be done right now and they wanted to know what had we been doing all summer, blah, blah, blah... ::uc:: Then for several weeks after school started they were all up to their eyeballs in students and had to quit worrying about "little things". Keep the HVAC equipment running, the lunch room equipment operating and the sewer lines flowing, then you can worry about, squeaky doors and drawers that stick, etc. :roll: 35 years of that was enough!
Miss Joy has a dermatology appointment today, so we'll be heading down to Panama City in a couple of hours. Yesterday we cut a trailer load of limbs from the yard and I still have several places to mow to be caught up. The little town of Chipley lost power last night, haven't heard if they are up and running this morning. A Gulf Power transmission line problem we were told, on our side of the county we are on a different power system, West Florida Electrical Coop, and had no problems.
Y'all have a wonderful Friday, watch out for the bear! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Top of the morning to you all!!
It's going to be a hot and steamy day so I need to get out this morning
and get the yard mowed. Everyone have a great Friday and be a
blessing to someone.... :D
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

The heat gets real here today. Mid 90’s for the foreseeable future. And little chance of rain. Thankfully I don’t have to out in it much. Got grocery run done last night and stocked up on cold adult beverages. Not much of a beer drinker anymore but have a fondness for some of the hard selzers Don’t care for the most popular White Claw. Truly is my preference, the citrus fruit flavors are my favorite.
I’m nearing the end of selling the late hubby’s massive knife collection. A few odds and ends yet and several boxes of parts. Been at it for over 5 years. My thumbnail will be happy! Opening thousands of knives and cut myself one time that required a bandaid. Not bad for an old broad

You guys working in the heat be careful, take breaks and keep hydrated.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Good Morning Everyone,
Good to hear from everyone. You fellows and gal are a lot busier than I am. Retirement has taken it's toll. It is 74 degrees with the promise of more hot and humid weather to come...what else in late July in this part of paradise. It is off for my morning workout! Everyone stay safe and healthy.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”