First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
zoogirl

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone
I have to mention it. I notice several of you make a point of saying things like ‘good morning guys and gal’. Thanks guys. It’s appreciated.
Anyway, enough sappy. It’s snowing at the airport which means it’s going to snow everywhere. The airport is sea level. So far, no call to go shovel. Fingers crossed!
It’s weird but the last couple of snowfalls have pasted me and left the boss relatively empty. I’m pretty sure he’s a lot higher than me. I think we had a bit of inversion.
Whoops, gotta go! I’m supposed to be heading to the older son’s place tonight and finally seeing my grandson! It’s been a while.
Have a good and safe day everyone
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Good morning all! Our old house sale closed and the money is in the bank. Whew!! We went out to celebrate last night at a local happy hour with $5 margaritas and $10 plates of baby back ribs. Of course, I paid for it at 2 AM with a huge bellyache that I had to try to calm down with Tums. ::facepalm::

Going on a bit of rant... I don't get the entire "job stress" thing that has become an epidemic in corporate America. At any time, we have 5-10 people (out of ~1200 employees) that are out on a leave-of-absence (LOA) due to "stress". It has become an easy way to keep your benefits going for 3 months without working. Once you claim the stress LOA, you can't be touched for 3 months. You don't get paid - at least not above the table, but I've seen people on LOA continue to run online businesses that they were running the entire time they were employed with us. If our place is so stressful, how were you able to run an entire business on the side??

I am a red-blooded American male, and I will do exactly as all my forefathers did before me: Work as hard as I can until I fall down from ulcers, high blood pressure & heart attack. TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

Rant Over!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: I am a red-blooded American male, and I will do exactly as all my forefathers did before me: Work as hard as I can until I fall down from ulcers, high blood pressure & heart attack. TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

Rant Over!
Contratulations on the closing on your house. One more stressor off the table.

Sadly there is a percentage of people in this world who do not have a sense of morality. They have no ethics, a moral conscience or scruples. Their only goal in life it to "get over" on the establishment and/or their fellow man.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, Folks.
Kinda' interesting to read the 1st cup diner at 12:30pm. ::hmm:: Had our coffee and I went back to the rack with head congestion. Don't like to lay around but sometimes it allows me to get over these seasonal illnesses a lot quicker. I didn't take advantage of sick leave till late in my work life. The Superintendent asked me how many sick days did I have and had I been selling them back at the end of the year? We could carry up to 250 days with out losing them, a year's pay. The few times I was sick enough to really stay home I charged to annual leave except the one time I had a workers comp injury. Got 6 weeks of workers comp pay and my regular check kept coming too! ::shrug:: Asked the finance officer what was going on, she said don't worry about it. ::uc:: Later the school district became self insured and things like that probably didn't happen any longer. In the end I lost a few days when I retired but I had a bunch of 3 and 4 day weeks the last year, all with the Superintendent' blessings!
Well I had a small portion of kidney beans, ham hocks, rice and greens, a big glass of tea and now I'm going to take another nap. :)
Hope y'all are feelin' better than I am today!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Well I got through Friday unscathed.
Have 27 hours and a couple minutes so 31 should be easy.
I was a pallet jack mechanic today.
Too late to save a big ugly streak on the floor but it is all fixed up.
Looking for the magic penny!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Hey Dave, we have a couple of sick jacks, if you’re ever up this way... :lol:
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Happy Saturday y'all. Got a pretty good mug this morning. The classic definition of crazy is doing the same thing trying to get a different result. I'm crazy. Carry on.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Morning, got a good cup. 41 headed to 57. It rained during the night and might rain some more today. I'm just glad it aint snow. Last day of work this week. Happy trails!
David
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning guys and Ann. We have a rain/snow mess trying to mess with us. That means it's above freezing for the first time in about a month and a half. I'd take plain old snow any day over ice. I'm not heading out anywhere today. Have a great weekend and be safe. ___Dave
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' gal and guys. It is 54º here this morning and will go to about 70º by the time day is done. First cup of coffee is cooling a little. Nothing much on the agenda for today so I may try to get into a book I set aside about a month ago.
Hope you all have a knife day.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin',
1st time I've been up early enough to make it to the 1st cup diner for a day or so. About to shed this congestion, maybe, Foggy here in the Panhandle about 68 degrees, all that rain has stayed way north of us so far! ::tu:: Everything continues to bloom and pollen is thick, probably have another freeze before it's over, hope not.
Next to the last day of Muzzle loading season and I haven't felt like going this week.
Hope everyone has a great day!
Treefarmer

zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone
We had some snow yesterday but it was a rain/snow mix and the rain eventually won. Then the sun came out and contributed to the melting. I’m getting a lot of use out of my new word ‘sloppery’! It’s a combo of slippery and slop. Describes the ground here perfectly! ::teary_eyes:: there’s supposed to be more coming. Sunny later in the week, maybe some rain.
I’m off to the swap with my buddy Paul and then open mic at the Hook. I’ll probably try for another hour of sleep right now.
I went over to my older son’s last night and finally caught up to the grandson! Had a good time. At the end, I walked out with them as they were hiking over to his other grandparents place. There was me, Dan, Cooper and Dan’s friend Jacob. Of course we all ended up in a snowball fight! Great stuff!
I wonder what will follow me home today?! I think I’ve nabbed all the good stuff at the Barn. I might drag Josh out to Abbotsford tomorrow.
Have a good and safe day everyone!
TwoFlowersLuggage

Ahh - finally a nice day! Blue skies, no wind and a calm, blue ocean. First thing I did this morning was head to the beach with the dog and we played fetch until her tongue was hanging to the sand. One of the things she loves to do is dig in the sand. She will drop her ball and then start burrowing straight down with the sand flying out between her legs. She can literally go 18-24 inches deep in less than 30 seconds. By the time we're done playing ball, the beach around us looks like Normandy on D-Day!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

We got coffee.
Rise and shine fellas.....let's do this!

Taking 6 boys on a mission later today....setting up tarps just for practice.....maybe it'll rain!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Scott.
It just started raining about 5:30, according to the radar it is the tail of what ever is going through North Carolina and points further north. Hope there's not much to it. There is a pretty strong wind blowing, too.
Got the coffee on and need to get in the shower, church in a couple of hours. Feeling much more a human today, went all night without congestion medication. ::tu::
Good Mornin' to the rest of y'all when you climb out of the rack!
Treefarmer

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' gal and guys. Philip, glad you are feeling better.
I have already done my run-through in the shower, got my Sunday duds on and I am ready to roll.
Hope you all have a good day. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. The winds blowing like crazy this morning but the snow seems to have gone under us. We got about 3 inches of new last night mixed with drizzle. One of the roofs we cleared last week collected about 6 more inches during the week and the ice dam came back and was backing in under the shingles in so I worked on that again yesterday where it was leaking and Jason and I will have to clear away the back of the house tomorrow. This has been a nasty year for heavy snow and ice dams. Church in a couple hours. Have a great Sunday. ____Dave
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Sunday coffee leaves much to be desired.
Phone says 44 going up to 64 and back down to 40. No rain is called for.
No big plans for the day. 12 rolls of pennies and my comics online.
Later y'all.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Good morning, working on the first cup of the day. The wind has died down and the clouds are gone. Clear skies and sunshine. NWS says 28 and headed to 50 for a high. Proably go over to moms this afternoon and see about something the wind blew over. Then have supper with mom and my oldest sister. Happy trails!
David
TwoFlowersLuggage

Today I'm going to try get my behind moving and do some hole patching around the house. We bought new window blinds and they are mounted a good 6 inches below the old ones, so every window in the house now has two spots that need to be sanded, spackled, sanded and painted. And, of course, I'll also have to first put something over the new blinds so they don't get dusty or paint drips. I'll do the living room first - those are the ones that bug SWMBO the most...
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone
Sunshine! It’s even brighter with the couple on inches of snow in the yard. Plus, with the deck roof gone, my room is much lighter. I think I’m going to regret that come summer. I’ve always stayed cool, thanks to being tucked way back with the deck front of me. I don’t know what the plans are to replace it.
I’m going to try to drag the kid out to the Abby swap. I also want to hit Cabelos for a bowstring. I’ve got a Les Dunsdon all wood longbow, youth size I guess. I got it at the Vancouver swap. Pretty nice.
Apparently, Les Dunsdon and his wife started doing archery and eventually bow making sometime after WW1, in Ontario. They became teachers and eventually taught archery to about half the kids in the province! They had a good personal life to, with both of them making it past ninety, for a marriage of seventy years. Their bows are quite collectable. My son has a fibreglass, probably from the Sixties, that he got from the Abbotsford swap. We’re lucky to have two in the family. I’m itching to hit the quarry and give it a proper tryout. I’ll have to settle for the driveway now! I keep trying to remember to get decent pics and start a bow thread. Or, I guess that would be a bow string! :lol:
Have a good and safe day everyone!
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Happy Monday or some such.
Have a plan which as we all know won't survive first contact. Had a nice mug this morning.
Later gators.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' JPD. Mornin' gal and guys. I'll get the place lighted (or lit?) up and I'll fire up the grill. It is 44º here and going to be in the 60s later today. I have a post office run to make and not much else for the day.
Hope your day is good. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mornin' folks!

Fired up is the word I think Ray.....LOL

Postage today. Then the park.

Drive it like you stole it!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Fellers.
Scott, you'd love it this morning, 42 degrees! The heat pump shifted gears some time during the night. This congestion mess is all but gone but Miss Joy now has it as does every other person in NW Florida.
Coffee is ready, the rest of you fine folks have a wonderful day!
Treefarmer

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”