First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by Ripster »

Morning. Starting off wet,windy today. Had a bit of hail and stormy weather last night . Will be heading up to Marvin’s to help him with a 37 touring Sedan he just bought . Need to set up the brakes and then take it out and burn that old gas out and get some fresh high octane in it . Many of the cars we buy and sell have been sitting for years ,and that’s hard on the seals and fuel systems. And the mice are a bad nuisance. then maybe finish up a few other projects ,and get the 75 HD back to my shop so can get to rebuilding the tranny. This time will put some Andrew’s close ratio gears in it .
Hope life is treating everyone well,stay safe ,enjoy your day .
JP
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks 🌡 mid 60's may hit 90 by afternoon. Off and on rain showers predicted for the next few days. I sure feel bad for the good folk in TX. and LA. Be nice if we could send some of that water out west.
Critters fed and the dishes warshed.
Not much happening around here, boss and her best buddy are going shopping so me and ole Sissy will be the boss for awhile.
I'm gonna try and get some weed killer down before it gets too hot.
Hope yawl have a good'un and be safe out there
::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:29 pm Morning. Starting off wet,windy today. Had a bit of hail and stormy weather last night . Will be heading up to Marvin’s to help him with a 37 touring Sedan he just bought . Need to set up the brakes and then take it out and burn that old gas out and get some fresh high octane in it . Many of the cars we buy and sell have been sitting for years ,and that’s hard on the seals and fuel systems. And the mice are a bad nuisance. then maybe finish up a few other projects ,and get the 75 HD back to my shop so can get to rebuilding the tranny. This time will put some Andrew’s close ratio gears in it .
The cars that have been sitting for years, what do you do to fix the seal and fuel problem, just run them, or do you have to replace things, always wondered about that.
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Good Morning Everyone,
A pleasant 72 degrees with a light breeze this morning. The weather guessers are predicting plenty of sun with a high near 90. Not a lot planned other than wait for salesmen from local contractors to arrive for estimates on replacing an asphalt driveway. Last one we put in was 21 years ago. I will be prepared for sticker shock! Got a couple stag handled Hen & Rooster knives to clean before adding them to the collection. They look new so work should be quick. Everyone stay safe and healthy.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Morning all, had a nice pop up shower last night, measured 1/2 in here. The local county fair is going on this week will probably be only the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve missed going in my life. As county fairs go, it is a big deal. Billed as World’s Greatest County Fair. Draws a paid attendance of about 300,000. Work in a little while. Will be my life for several weeks. I’ve run the shop by myself a lot in the past but I was 10+ years younger then. Makes me realize how much the old body has aged.
Supper tonight with daughter and family will be easy on me Taco House takeout. And margaritas. Taco House is a local institution, been in business since the early 60’s. No visit to Okoboji is complete without a meal from it.
Time to get moving.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Top of the morning to you all!!
Looks like our temps are going to stay away from the near 100's and down around 88 to 90 degrees. Goodness it might feel like fall in North Texas soon. I need to go to a nearby Harbor Freight store and maybe Home Depot in search of metal ramps for the storage buildings out on the property. Also I just might check out an indoor gun range that is nearby.
Everyone have a great day and be a blessing to someone.... :D
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Good early afternoon to all. Today has been a great day. USPS delivered three knives to me ahead of schedule, and I have two more to unbox. Should be a rather warm day, and I may even have another cup of coffee. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

We are having rain from TS whatever it is.
Coffee was good.
Other than that how did you like the play?
Looking for the magic penny!
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:53 pm
Ripster wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:29 pm Morning. Starting off wet,windy today. Had a bit of hail and stormy weather last night . Will be heading up to Marvin’s to help him with a 37 touring Sedan he just bought . Need to set up the brakes and then take it out and burn that old gas out and get some fresh high octane in it . Many of the cars we buy and sell have been sitting for years ,and that’s hard on the seals and fuel systems. And the mice are a bad nuisance. then maybe finish up a few other projects ,and get the 75 HD back to my shop so can get to rebuilding the tranny. This time will put some Andrew’s close ratio gears in it .
The cars that have been sitting for years, what do you do to fix the seal and fuel problem, just run them, or do you have to replace things, always wondered about that.
Hey Cudgee, that does depend on if fuel is gummed up the system or if seals are to dry to do there job ,etc etc . If they’ve been stored properly ,tires aired up ,battery tender ,etc etc. then not many issues. Kind of like how we take care of our old knives and if we store them properly,they will last much longer without any major work . It’s getting harder to find parts as well,many seals we can’t get anymore so we end up sleeving it for the next size up we can find . The Carburetor on most of them are not to hard to rebuild. Hope that answers your questions,you take care over there ::handshake:: Here’s a pic of the 37 that we are playing with today . Got it runnning just fine now ,it’s got a updated rear end so it does 70 or so just fine. Fun car to drive
Attachments
F86A16AC-45EB-4AF4-9607-13DA00F9A825.jpeg
979E98B6-0A67-4743-873E-C33C51F42A5C.jpeg
63FA0E0A-A2CB-47C3-9E94-0A1B5289AEE9.jpeg
EC01DD37-DEA7-46AA-A208-1FA17A264497.jpeg
CE69ADDF-9C63-41F2-AB1B-874BD2C773E1.jpeg
75EF97E3-DCB2-495E-B3C6-25B6012C2672.jpeg
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:09 pm
cudgee wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:53 pm
Hey Cudgee, that does depend on if fuel is gummed up the system or if seals are to dry to do there job ,etc etc . If they’ve been stored properly ,tires aired up ,battery tender ,etc etc. then not many issues. Kind of like how we take care of our old knives and if we store them properly,they will last much longer without any major work . It’s getting harder to find parts as well,many seals we can’t get anymore so we end up sleeving it for the next size up we can find . The Carburetor on most of them are not to hard to rebuild. Hope that answers your questions,you take care over there ::handshake:: Here’s a pic of the 37 that we are playing with today . Got it runnning just fine now ,it’s got a updated rear end so it does 70 or so just fine. Fun car to drive
Thanks mate. You have a good evening. ::tu:: :)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ripster wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:09 pm Here’s a pic of the 37 that we are playing with today . Got it runnning just fine now ,it’s got a updated rear end so it does 70 or so just fine. Fun car to drive
It's wonderful to look at, too. Such a beautiful car!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Open for business, enjoy your first coffee. Earlier this year there was a thread about knife purchasing, price increases how many you need and such. I stated that i was getting more selective as i already have more than i really need, and this year said i was restricting my self to 2 purchases. There was some non believers, the hide of them. ::hmm:: :lol: :lol: :lol: Today i purchased my first knife for the year, i was looking at another one but it was sold, so one might be my purchase history for the year. But i must admit, there is something exiting about having a new knife on the way. Enjoy your day. ::tu::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Morning crew. Running late. Happy trails
Attachments
proxy-image (10).jpeg
David
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

DM11 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:37 am Morning crew. Running late. Happy trails
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :lol:
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Stopped into a BBQ restaurant next to where we live because I saw a pile of unsplit wood lying in their wood bin.
I offered to split it in exchange for food or gift certificate. He called me back a while later and I'll be splitting wood
around noon today instead of doing it at the park!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' guys and gal. Not much to report on here in P'ville this mornin'. On the bright side, I did pick up my Rav4 from the body shop yesterday afternoon. I am so glad to get it back that I don't really care if they did a good job on it or not. That's not quite true but the work they did seems very good. Our weather is generally in the low to mid-90s so fall is on the way.
Hope you all have a knife day.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks,🌡 70 to the mid 80's sez Nikki Dee with a chance of showers off and on.
Wild Critters are fed, tame ones not yet, we are gonna eat the crossroads breakfast after we pick up the ole caravan from the service guy.
Got an appointment at the ticker Dr. for my annual ✔ up.
Guess when that's over will sit and watch the rain. ::woot::
Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Another nice morning up here and as soon as I can get these old bones all moving in the same direction, I'll head off to work. have a great Wednesday.____Dave
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning
Sitting here sipping on first cup watching the sunrise. The birds are starting to flock up, leaves are turning yellow with a little red showing . Getting about time to get the bow out and start scouting out the tree stand area for sign. Today will be working downtown in back of our coffee house ,our mason finally has all the brick work done and need to set a one hour fire rated door. They have steel frames and are a real pain to get set right, for today will pull old frame pour a litttle sack Crete for anchors at the base. Will cover opening with plywood till concrete sets up . After that maybe get back at working on the back yard.
Cudgee, that’s cool that you set limit on purchasing knives . Bet it does make it exciting when one is on the way. Show us what you have when it’s in hand .
Catch you all later,have a good one out there .
JP
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Folks.
We are under a flash flood watch until the 17th and it has only been cloudy and misty, so far. Temperatures have stayed in the 80's for the high which is pleasant. Radar shows things are happening to the west of us, maybe in Pensacola. ::shrug::
Coffee is ready and we are still kinda draggin' around while we recuperate.
Y'all have a good Wednsday!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's a cool morning here in my little corner of The Great Midwest. My phone says 53º, my indoor/outdoor says 59º. ::shrug:: . It's SS payday and haircut day & grab a little more cashola from the ATM to pay for the haircut. Other than that, just hangin' loose waiting for something exciting to happen. Good day to all.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Top of the morning to you all!!
I can't believe it was 66 degrees when I got up this morning. I love it when the temps start to change to the 60's in the fall or early spring. It even makes the coffee more enjoyable.
Got to go over to Denton today and we may meet with our contractor if he has anything ready to show us on the house design.
Cudgee I agree I get excited every time I order a knife, but if it takes to long I get impatient for it to arrive.
Everyone enjoy the day and be a blessing to someone.... :D
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

A couple of T'storms rolled through last night, that will put a halt to the early harvest. I heard some grain dryers humming yesterday as I drove some backroads.
Shaking my head at the news this morning. The US is sending 64 million in aid to Afghanistan.......just tell them to sell off a few Blackhawks and Humvees. California taxpayers on the hook for 300 million for a recall election in which the current governor is overwhelmingly retained, thwarting the efforts of a black, white supremacist.....huh? Ahhh well, life in America 2021.
Ike
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I might be paying too much for the two blade teardrop Jack but it ISD my Grail!
I am about to bust waiting to send the money for it.
6.34 at work.
Coffee was good.
Afternoon is mine!
Looking for the magic penny!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Diner is open and running. For anyone who calls in pull up a stool and grab a coffee and chew the fat. Ike after reading your post, i know your angst, but politics is like that world wide, was just reading about what is happening in New Zealand, i try not to worry about it anymore, i just get to angry. So mate, enjoy your time at the Diner, only real people call in here, honest hard working folk. ::nod:: :)

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”