First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
bighomer

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 🌡35 to start 49 maybe. We had a gorgeous day yestiddy 58 deg and sunshine. Leland and Nikki D talking like we might get a dusting up to 2 inches tonight. ::woot:: ::sotb:: boooo.
The outside critters are fed, waiting on the boss to finish her beauty nap, drinking a fine cuppa joe, pondering breakfast.
Don't know what I'll get into today, got a bunch of plastic totes put up in the bosses she shed yestiddy. Broke down about 30 cardboard boxes and bagged for the dumpster. The RR marlin spike got a workout.
Hope yawl have a good'un and be safe out there. ::handshake::
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Good morning all,
It’s 36 degrees outside, gray skies and drizzling rain today. We haven’t had a lot of snow yet this year but I’m certainly not complaining about.
I had my two cups of coffee and some biscuits and gravy for breakfast so now it’s time to ease into the day.
Nothing planned. I’ve got a couple of inexpensive kitchen knives that I’m re-handling in black paper Micarta for my sister in-law (the knives have some sentimental value to her). An interesting project that required me to think outside the box a bit!
I hope everyone is doing well.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!!!
Looks like it will be a great day here in Ponder Country, just a little windy.
I'm still working out in the garage getting my "knife cleaning and restoration"
work area all organized. I'll post some pictures when I'm finished.
Everyone have a blessed day and be a blessing to someone. :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone
I forgot my iPod at work on Wednesday night and then just didn’t get to posting yesterday! ::shrug::
Dry but damp and supposed to be clear today and tomorrow until evening.
This is the weirdest weather! It was 8C overnight. Last year it was -8C and 15 cm of snow! Oh well, we may get snow next week and it will be colder for sure.
There’s a great meme going around. It shows a map of Canada with a big purple blotch on almost all of it, marked “Polar Vortex”. Way down in the left corner there’s a speech bubble that says “Oh look! Cherry blossoms!”.
The caption is “Why the rest of Canada hates us!”
That is the total truth! :wink: :mrgreen:
It’s birthday onslaught week. Tony has his cousins tomorrow, just the ones that are there all the time, then it’s Josh’s on Saturday. Dave is next week, followed the next day by Aurora’s first. Whew!
Have a good and safe day everyone!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Happy Friday folks.
And it would be if I had two days off.
Coffee was good.
Have done pennies and taken pictures is why I'm so late checking in.
Now off to the Diecast thread.
Looking for the magic penny!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

zoogirl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:38 pm
It’s birthday onslaught week. followed the next day by Aurora’s first. Whew!
Ann, if you'll post a picture of Aurora, I'll post a picture of Lincoln, Bryson and Oliver, all kicking a year in the butt. You go first.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 am ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: 'The power supply for my PC came yesterday (way early). It was a pain in the tuchus to replace but she's back up and percolating and I'm happy to have access to all my files again. Time to back up the important ones to a thumb drive.
A little piece of tech advice Jarhead.
Never ever backup files to a thumb drive. TD's are only meant for temporary use; because, they are renown for frying out all the time.
Happened to me awhile back; luckily, I was only using it for transfers. Man, would I have been shot if it was all my photographs.

What you do, is have an external backup storage drive, along with a cloud drive service. With the cloud drive, you can automatically backup your files, with only a couple easy clicks.
Same thing with the external drive, they are quite easy to use (even for this fibro foggy dude).
Please take this idiots advice man, I learned it the hard way...
::facepalm::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:53 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 am ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: 'The power supply for my PC came yesterday (way early). It was a pain in the tuchus to replace but she's back up and percolating and I'm happy to have access to all my files again. Time to back up the important ones to a thumb drive.
A little piece of tech advice Jarhead.
Never ever backup files to a thumb drive. TD's are only meant for temporary use; because, they are renown for frying out all the time.
Happened to me awhile back; luckily, I was only using it for transfers. Man, would I have been shot if it was all my photographs.

What you do, is have an external backup storage drive, along with a cloud drive service. With the cloud drive, you can automatically backup your files, with only a couple easy clicks.
Same thing with the external drive, they are quite easy to use (even for this fibro foggy dude).
Please take this idiots advice man, I learned it the hard way...
::facepalm::
Thnx.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I put nothing in the "cloud". When the cloud goes away, so does your data.

I use a multi-level backup system. I use thumb drives for portable data for power point presentations and presentation data for questions. I also use SD cards for temporary backups. They're a little safer than thumb drives.

I use an external hard drive to back up all progam data - Word documents, Excell spreadsheets, etc on a weekly basis.

I burn TWO CD/DVDs every month of the same data files. One CD/DVD copy is stored in a file cabinet out in the shop in case the house burns down and the second goes into safe deposit box at the bank in case a tornado comes through.

I am no longer as anal about data backups as I was when I was working in the tech industry.

Back then, I had 5 daily back-up tapes that were used M-F, 5 weekly tapes that replicated the "Friday" tape, 12 "monthly" tapes that I would use on the last workday of the month and then there were the 4 "Quarterly" tapes, the 2 "semi-annual" tapes and then finally the "Annual" tape.

The daily tapes and the weekly tapes stayed in an office away from the server locked up in 2 separate fire safes - 1 for the weeklies and one for the monthlies. All others were kept off-site in a large fire safe at my home. This was so that if a fire or tornado or theft or equipment failure occurred at the business, the worst off we would be was a month behind the data curve.

It was a expensive to set up (tapes weren't cheap back then) and I had a little trouble getting buy-in from all levels and my boss thought I was quackers but he went ahead and humored my sense of paranoia,

Everyone was REALLY happy when the server somehow s... a brick one day and flat failed. I was able to rebuild it by the next day and get it back up and running in less than 24 hours with a loss of only 1 day's worth of work.

That was when the boss finally let me setup a secondary "mirrored" server.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Howdy, the rooster has crowed better get to moving we're burnin daylight. Coffee sure helps. 27-48 and sunny. Happy trails!
David
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Good morning from the Mountain State, it's 27* here and snow on the way. My weekend to work, and I'd say we'll be busy with skiers at the resort. Critters will be happy they have something to eat and my coffee is making so I'll be happy. On the way home I stopped by the gun shop to look around and they had a nice Uncle Henry LB7 that needed to be cleaned up for twenty bucks. That's about it from here you all have a good and safe day.
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good Morning. Currently 32, going to be in the 30s all day with a chance of light snow.

Saw a flock of Black Vultures working over a carcass in a field. Couldn't see what it was but it was about the right size for a calf. These vultures are still infrequent around here.

I expect to be rearranging my office today. Picked up lots more suet and feed yesterday.

Take care, stay safe especially if your on the road today. [Just was outside. We got some light snow last night.}
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

MArvelous temps forecasted for the next 2 weeks.....lots of 60's and 40's. Best winter I remember!!!

Coffee pumping in like a tanker right now. Ready for ChuckWagon to begin!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' guys and gal. Nuthin much going on and nuthin much to report on here. Our state capitol has been closed and is heavily guarded in preparation for the inaugural. I hope everyone goes home safe and healthy.
At 36º and headed for about 60º all is well with the weather.
Hope your day is a good one. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Good Morning and Happy Saturday all. Chilly 33 and a little breezy on my hill when I got up this a.m. The weatherman says it's only going to get in the High 40's but will remain breezy most of the day making that wind chill feel like the 30's. Just makes the coffee that much better. Not much planned today, go by and check on my mom, plus my better-half ordered a storage cabinet for her hobby room, so I guess I will put that together today. Hope ya'll have a blessed day!! ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Our "snow" storm turned into a rainy drizzly uneventful kind of thing. There isn't much of anything else worth reporting from the not so frozen Northland. Have a great weekend. _____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Fellers.
35 here in LA this morning, see some scattered frost as the sun gets above the horizon. Our son and his little family are coming to visit today, haven't seen them since Thanksgiving. So we'll be having another Christmas with the youngest grandson. Miss Joy has left all her Christmas decorations up for this occasion. All I have to do is hide all the tools that I keep on the woods cart so they'll be where I can find them. Several packages of venison ham has thawed out for frying for our noon meal. Should be an interesting day.
Hope y'all have a great day.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Morning all, just now rolled out of bed, moving slow, coffee ought to help that . Weather here much like Dave said ,rainy, dreary ,good day to stay inside. Wife and I will head to Post
Office to mail out a couple paintings she sold . Then off to Wally World for a few Supplies .
On a different topic, mail seems to be getting back to normal . Bought some things last week and they’ve shown up already . One item bought from Sanders knives came in 5 days ::tu:: . By the way ,great service and prices also. So if you got anything in the system hopefully it will arrive ,or get found soon enough.
Okay knifers, that’s a wrap for this a.m. , you all have a good one. Keep the wind at your back ,and enjoy your journey today ::tu::
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We got a little skiff of snow early this morning. Just enough to let us know Old Man Winter is still around.

JP, I've had the same results from the Post Office. On the other hand my package that was stuck in Palatine is still stuck in Palatine. Maybe it'll be here by the 4th of July.

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:34 am
Saw a flock of Black Vultures working over a carcass in a field. Couldn't see what it was but it was about the right size for a calf. These vultures are still infrequent around here.
Interesting but little known factoid:

What is a group of black vultures called?

A group of vultures is called a committee, venue, or volt. In flight, a flock of vultures is a kettle, and when the birds are feeding together at a carcass, the group is called a wake
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Wake is certainly appropriate. Do you know what a large flying formation of Starlings is called? This is when you see hundreds of them twisting and turning in spectacular patterns.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not without looking it up. Enlighten me please.

Edit: I was to impatient so I looked it up. They're called a Murmuration. Where did they come up with all these names for group's of critters, like a Murder of crows.

Did you just know that off the top of your head?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 🌡34 with a dusting of snow overnight, ain't gonna warm up much according to the Heather the weather girl.
The critters have been fed. Sissy played in the white although she didn't act like she was happy about at first.
Trash day and possibly a TSC run.
Hope yawl have a good'un and be safe out there. ::handshake:: ps. Jerry I think someone wrote about that murmuration thing the other day, maybe in the bird thread. 🐦🤔 ::handshake::
Attachments
20210116_064820.jpg
20210116_064813.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:24 pm ps. Jerry I think someone wrote about that murmuration thing the other day, maybe in the bird thread. 🐦🤔 ::handshake::
Joe, I started the bird thread but I haven't visited it since. I have no interest in birds.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

39 currently, with a high of only 45 and 12 mph winds. Certainly mild compared
to some of you ... but a good day to hibernate, I think.

Yawl be safe out there . . . . ::handshake::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:32 pm
bighomer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:24 pm ps. Jerry I think someone wrote about that murmuration thing the other day, maybe in the bird thread. 🐦🤔 ::handshake::
Joe, I started the bird thread but I haven't visited it since. I have no interest in birds.
Yes you did good buddy, and I appreciate it and you, because I enjoy birds and seeing all the birds from different places. Good on you brother. ::tu:: ::handshake::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”