First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by Paladin »

Good mornin' to all the folks here and sounds good Cudgee. Not much going on here. Just another day in paradise.
Hope you all have a good day out there. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Sunday Mornin' to Y'all.
We are waking up to 67 degree weather for a change, most mornings last week were in the upper 70's. Still going to be in the 90's according to the folks that are supposed to know.
Got most of the mowing done yesterday and a couple of other little projects, way too hot after the noon meal and a nap to do much outside for several hours.
Tom, you're going to keep on braggin' about them Pop Tarts till I ask Miss Joy to get me a box of them. We hadn't had them since the kids were small and our baby is 42 years old.
cudgee, I'm sure everyone appreciates your concern as we go through this Corona virus thing. There are several AAPK members dealing with this as you have probably read. :( You mentioned sausage and that reminded me, I need to make some summer sausage in the near future. ::hmm::
Coffee is ready, got a lot to do this morning before church in a few hours.
Y'all have a great Sunday, hope you can make it to church, if not watch a service on line or on TV.
Treefarmer
Good morning, Ray, I didn't hear you slip in the door. ::handshake::

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

As I wrote over in the Upper Room, my sister has bounced back. I am very relieved.
Got my weed-wacking done yesterday, then sprained my foot so I am now pretty well hobbled. Can barely get around with a cane. Life is full of surprises.
Very heavy wind and rain storm last night.
Enjoy your day.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning knifers, cool 66 deg. this morning, the tater wagons rolled around quite a bit during the night, dang weather radio kept bellowing, but only about 2 tenths of an inch of rain. The heavy stuff slid past to the west.
It's waffle Sunday with country smoked sausage and bacon on the side, with a hot, strong cuppa joe to drink. Church on the telly.
The county mayor has mandated masks to be worn when out and about
Sure glad to hear Bev is better, but sorry to hear you turned a ankle QS. May your recovery be quick.
This virus sure is strange the way it affects different people and blood types, my BIL took about a month to get over it and still tires easily but is back working. A good friend's daughter, healthy, mid thirties almost died. She spent several weeks in ICU and was on a vent for awhile. Then some seem to shake it off quickly. I'm blood type A-pos so I'm gonna take it seriously.
Hope yawl have a good'un. ::handshake::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Dad is home as of 2pm yesterday. So far so good.
Reasonable coffee after another spoon of sugar was added.
Going great guns on resizing, renaming and deleting files.
Looking for the magic penny!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. I couldn't get on line this morning. The computer said my broadband was disconnected and they might as well have told me the doohecky fouled up because the whatchamacallit broke. I don't have a clue what to do when the computer does anything it doesn't do every morning. If I can't fix it with a hammer, I'm lost. Sounds like everyone is on the mend. Wish our country and world was. No church today again for us. Jason stopped by on the way home from an emergency call from one of the cabins out by us. My lawn tractor quit mowing and he pulled the mower deck off and found two bearings that were bad. I almost bought a new tractor yesterday, and still might. I have four old ones that I keep meaning to get fixed, but they are all pretty well worn out except for the one Jason just worked on and that one should last me a while but I'd sure love to have a new one. I've never had a new car, truck, or riding mower. We have company coming by this afternoon so I threw an apple/rhubarb pie in. Nothing else planned for the day. Have a great Sunday.____Dave
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

djknife13 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:21 pm Good morning. I couldn't get on line this morning. The computer said my broadband was disconnected and they might as well have told me the doohecky fouled up because the whatchamacallit broke. I don't have a clue what to do when the computer does anything it doesn't do every morning. If I can't fix it with a hammer, I'm lost. Sounds like everyone is on the mend. Wish our country and world was. No church today again for us. Jason stopped by on the way home from an emergency call from one of the cabins out by us. My lawn tractor quit mowing and he pulled the mower deck off and found two bearings that were bad. I almost bought a new tractor yesterday, and still might. I have four old ones that I keep meaning to get fixed, but they are all pretty well worn out except for the one Jason just worked on and that one should last me a while but I'd sure love to have a new one. I've never had a new car, truck, or riding mower. We have company coming by this afternoon so I threw an apple/rhubarb pie in. Nothing else planned for the day. Have a great Sunday.____Dave
Well, I'd get a new mower, take the deck off the old one and use it as a utility tractor for pulling small trailers with a spray rig, or box trailer for hauling compost around, or mount a chipper on one or for pulling a small disc harrow. That's what I did with my old one after my mother founda stack of bricks while mowing. A new mower deck was going cost 85% of a new mower.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Wakey wakey all!😁 Good morning...back to reality after two weeks of vacation..had a great time off--spent some time in Cook Forest, cooked out a ton and my niece was home from North Carolina with her new baby so I got to meet my great nephew Leo!😘😁 I was a "great" uncle already but now I'm officially a great uncle!😁..supposed to be cooler here in NW PA until Thursday then the heat returns🤬.. gives me three days to tear my big boiler down for annual State inspection.. should go smoothly though, our treatment chemicals keep the wet side very clean and we tune the fire side quarterly so the tubes just need hand brushed and blown out with air.. coffee tastes good this morning..Scott--i'll take my eggs to go...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mornin' Ryan, nice to see you in the FCD!!!

I'll be heading out in a bit to the flea markets!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Good luck my friend! Have a great day 👍😁
Ryan

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Yesterday my son came back in the afternoon with two bearings for my lawn tractor already pressed on the shaft and put it all back together and it runs like a new machine. The mower deck was noisy when I bought the tractor last year and a small engine mechanic the previous owner had look at it couldn't find anything wrong. The parts were under $30. I gave Jason $60. I got Jane's little patio project nearly finished and that turned out nice. We are going to have this place looking pretty good and hopefully before we get too old to enjoy it. Have a great week. I'm off to the cabin. They added stuff and we still have siding to do on a couple gables and in a carport. ____Dave
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Morning all. Just a touch of fog this morning.
We watched Tom Hanks' Greyhound last night. A surprisingly poor film. This was disappointing as the story is an important one-defending the convoys to England during WWII.
My movements are limited for a while with my bum foot but I did manage to feed the critters. Most likely have to spend most of the day at the computer.
Take care.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' guys and Ann. It was 102º yesterday and I'm betting it will be about the same today. The pastor will be stopping by the house this mornin' to look at some handguns. Nothin much else on the agenda for the day.
Hope you all have a knife day today. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Fellers.
We dodged a bullet last night as the big storm came south out of Alabama, it split in two right before it crossed the state line and we only got a very light rain. Panama City got thunderstorms as did sections of southwest Georgia and we stayed in the middle. :)
Got to go get an MRI of my right shoulder this afternoon in preparation for surgery next month. Still have some mowing to do and I finally figured out where to plant a few hills of the Seminole pumpkins around the 1st of August. Peas vines are all blooming and we'll need to scatter some MIlorganite around the edges in order to keep Bambi from destroying the crop.
Looks like summer is still going to be with us, more 90 degree readings forecast for the week.
Coffee is ready, lets go drink a good hot mug!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning knifers, 71 this morning bright sunshine, supposed to start getting hot after today.
The critters are fed and I'm relaxing with a cuppa joe.
I had mower trouble last week, the bad boy went bad, was doing fine and just stopped and wouldn't move could be a belt my service guy said. It needed servicing so he came and got it and took it to the shop. I had to finish the yard with my old twenty year old lawn tractor with a 48" mowing deck, not fun.
May try and do a little yard work today, but I ain't pushing to hard in this heat, old fat men and hard work ain't compatible. Hope yawl have a good'un. ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I discovered this morning that the humidifier feature on my C-Pap machine is not working so I called the VA. He had me check the hours of usage and decided the machine had reached End Of Life (really?). He decided I need a new machine and is sending me the latest and greatest that the VA has in their inventory. The new one will be different of course but the thing that made me LOL is that it has a cell phone integrated into it so they can check the functions remotely. ::uc:: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is an undetermined number of knives in the mail for delivery today. The USPS tracking is as flakey as an old coat of paint so I don't know exactly which ones will be delivered. We'll see.

Can I make a post in the FCD thread without mentioning the weather? :lol: :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:36 pm I discovered this morning that the humidifier feature on my C-Pap machine is not working so I called the VA. He had me check the hours of usage and decided the machine had reached End Of Life (really?). He decided I need a new machine and is sending me the latest and greatest that the VA has in their inventory. The new one will be different of course but the thing that made me LOL is that it has a cell phone integrated into it so they can check the functions remotely. ::uc:: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is an undetermined number of knives in the mail for delivery today. The USPS tracking is as flakey as an old coat of paint so I don't know exactly which ones will be delivered. We'll see.

Jerry,
I have one of the new ones also and I tried to get them to splain to me how they can monitor my usage remotely. All they would tell me is that they just can do it. Beats the hell outta me how it works but when I reach a certain number of hours, they send me an email congratulating me.
And yes, it is fine to post without a weather comment. I'd like to do it myself but there is so little to mention these days it is almost a sure thing.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:47 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:36 pm I discovered this morning that the humidifier feature on my C-Pap machine is not working so I called the VA. He had me check the hours of usage and decided the machine had reached End Of Life (really?). He decided I need a new machine and is sending me the latest and greatest that the VA has in their inventory. The new one will be different of course but the thing that made me LOL is that it has a cell phone integrated into it so they can check the functions remotely. ::uc:: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jerry,
I have one of the new ones also and I tried to get them to splain to me how they can monitor my usage remotely. All they would tell me is that they just can do it. Beats the hell outta me how it works but when I reach a certain number of hours, they send me an email congratulating me.
And yes, it is fine to post without a weather comment. I'd like to do it myself but there is so little to mention these days it is almost a sure thing.

Ray
Well now ya know that they are sneaking into your machine through their super secret back door.
Well you are correct. There's very little to mention. Most of the stuff that goes on in The Great Midwest is personal that I don't care to share so there's nothing really left but the weather and for me that's boring and repitescious. That's why I seldom post anymore. I read the thread daily but just don't have anything to add. I could bore y'all to tears with pictures of my Great-Grandson but that would get old after one or two pictures and who wants to see pictures of someone else's kid anyway.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I kinda enjoy knowing first hand what's going on weather wise in everybody's part of the world although it's pretty repetitive this time of year in the south. So how it going around the Chicago area ole buddy? ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:43 pm I kinda enjoy knowing first hand what's going on weather wise in everybody's part of the world although it's pretty repetitive this time of year in the south. So how it going around the Chicago area ole buddy? ::handshake::
Dukes mixture of hot, thunder storms, sunny & dry. It's been in the 90's. It's only 75º right now with a speculated high of 84º. Not bad for a summer day in The Great Midwest. I would take these all summer long.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Morning everyone. The heat has finally driven me indoors. Gets toasty early when our lows are in the upper 70s, hitting 90s by 11:00. Already "feels like" 100+.

This time of year in Texas the weather is basically the same from June to the end of August

Hot, Dry, Windy and high/extreme Heat Advisories, with an occassional chance of storms, hail and tornadoes, and the possibility of a hurricane/tropical storm with concomittant flooding.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Monday wasn't TOO awful bad today. Although I wonder why I try to make the floor look good.
Pallet Jacks and all the little bits of wood that go along with them
I heard on the radio that Houston is having a heat advisory until 8pm.
It is rather muggy outside. Middle to upper 70s in my room.
I'm using polyester twine to make wicks for candles and they flop over and drown once the wax melts.
Got to get something better.
Looking for the magic penny!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:01 pm
bighomer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:43 pm I kinda enjoy knowing first hand what's going on weather wise in everybody's part of the world although it's pretty repetitive this time of year in the south. So how it going around the Chicago area ole buddy? ::handshake::
Dukes mixture of hot, thunder storms, sunny & dry. It's been in the 90's. It's only 75º right now with a speculated high of 84º. Not bad for a summer day in The Great Midwest. I would take these all summer long.
Thanks Jerry ,see that wasn't too hard you're a good dude for a ole JH. ::poke:: ::handshake::
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Good morning all! Another cooler day today then rain and heat coming Thursday.. time to make the donuts 😁.. Hope everyone has a great day!
Ryan

DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Mornin, back to work today. its was cooler yesterday not bad in the shade. They are calling for 100 today and a chance of thunder storms. Happy trails!
David

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”